peteinmiami
Topic Author

EK Running Ads In The Miami Area Local Channels

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Emirates is airing an add on Channel 7 - Fox News, always during the local news in the Miami area (South Florida). I seeing it twice this week at lunch time and at the 6PM news. (See the add below)

http://youtu.be/IKW5vBF8dL4

I never seeing in a local channel here in Miami an add from Emirates before. Is that a sign that Emirates is preparing the market prior to launching an schedule flight? I know I could be jumping too fast into conclusions here, but I would like to hear you opinions, is that standard Emirates way of doing business, does it had been done by them in other markets before launching a flight? I know Miami has been under Emirates radar for years, they even have an GSA for the area, but I have not hear any announcement or rumors about them launching Miami recently!

point2point

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Quoting peteinmiami (Thread starter):
always during the local news in the Miami area (South Florida)

Any idea as to how long this has been running there now? If it's been a while, then who know, but if it's recent, then maybe with EK's next aircraft delivery, MIA will be announced as a new destination.....

peteinmiami
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I saw it for the first time this week, Channel 7 News is one of the most popular sources of TV news in the area and in my case I usualy watch them daily, and never seen that add before, until this week!

airbazar

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

They're running the same add here in Boston, during the local news.

DFWHeavy

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:51 pm

I find this very interesting.. I'll tell you one thing, EK isn't running these ads for no reason. I'd suspect we see them in one or both of these cities within 12-18 months.

[Edited 2011-12-30 12:15:44]
Christopher W Slovacek

peteinmiami
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 4):

I find this very interesting.. I'll tell you that EK isn't running these ads for no reason. I'd suspect we see them in one or both of these cities withing 12-18 months.

That is exactly what I think!!!

cmf

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Funny how they are re-using much of the building an A380 ad. Then of course it was European workers instead  
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:29 pm

I would wait to get you hopes up. Airlines do advertise in markets that they dont serve or have plans to from time to time.

That being said, given EK's ambition, I would not be surprised to see them land there at some point.
It is what it is...

AABB777

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:35 pm

EK's advertising agency - StrawberryFrog - placed a two week television ad buy in several markets, including NYC, WAS, BOS and MIA. It appears they are using the 'building a Boeing 777' with 'American workers' ad. I'm told the stations have been told there is 'more to come' in regards to an expanded buy.

tarmacphotos

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I saw the same ad here in Pittsburgh, and I know there is no chance of them ever coming here.

B747forever

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:14 pm

Quoting tarmacphotos (Reply 9):
I saw the same ad here in Pittsburgh, and I know there is no chance of them ever coming here.

It is EK you are talking about, they will probably send the A380 to PIT in a couple of years  
Work Hard, Fly Right

ual747den

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 pm

They are running the same thing here on local Denver TV stations also. I would imagine the commercial has something to do with a national ad buy rather than EK planning on service to these cities. There are several reasons that EK would end up with local station advertisements that all have nothing to do with EK actually targeting that city specifically.
/// UNITED AIRLINES

point2point

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Quoting peteinmiami (Thread starter):
Miami
Quoting AABB777 (Reply 8):
NYC, WAS, BOS and MIA
Pittsburgh
Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 11):
Denver

EK is just waiting for their new birds to be delivered, and then BAM!.....they'll descend into the U.S.

El Paso and Boise may even be seeing the EK A380s. And fares will be so low that a pax going from El Paso to Boise will now have a single connection in DXB.....

(yea, right huh?....  )

Although seriously, I do think there will be a few more U.S. cities in the EK system sometime soon. And Miami, at any rate, has to be high in that list.

airbazar

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:02 am

I find this very interesting.. I'll tell you one thing, EK isn't running these ads for no reason. I'd suspect we see them in one or both of these cities within 12-18 months.

Maybe but my understanding is that MIA was already a very large EK destination via JFK with AA interlining, before these ads started. I suspect BOS sees some interline passengers too.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 7):
I would wait to get you hopes up. Airlines do advertise in markets that they dont serve or have plans to from time to time.

True but it's typically done during prime time or on national stations like CNN. I've seen QF, SQ, etc, commercials here in Boston for years, that way. However, in this case the ads are running at 5pm during the local news broadcasts on the local network affiliates. It's a bit more targetted.

TK787

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:08 am

I have seen this ad in NYC for more than a dozen times so far in the last couple of weeks.

FWAERJ

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:22 am

All this and no mention of Chicagoland TV stations yet?

We know that EK's been interested in ORD for eons, but hasn't started service yet...
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

pliersinsight

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:39 am

You must watch way more TV than I do, because I haven't seen them. Then again, outside of Steeler games, I'm nil on the HD.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 10):
It is EK you are talking about, they will probably send the A380 to PIT in a couple of years

Yeah, if JFK, EWR and BOS are hit with a massive snowstorm. Although I think we have A380 certified gate(s)...but don't quote me on that.

crownvic

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:43 am

EK is running the 777 ad in the west LAS/LAX TV market too and they just started in the last week. As was mentioned, the commercials are hitting at prime time like during NFL games. My guess is, it is a nation-wide "blitz" hitting most U.S. markets.

skoker

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:20 am

We've got them running quite frequently here in the BUF market, and I'd highly doubt that we'll see any of there medal except for an extreme diversion.

super80

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:47 am

i m not sure if there is anything to deal with the flight from DFW, but for sure I have been seeing their B777 ads on TV a lot in the DFW area

n92r03

Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 pm

The same ad is showing here in TPA as well. Even the local news broadcast has a tag of "brought to you locally by Emirates, with over 100 flights to Dubai"...

While the chance of Emirates flying to most US cities is nill, the 30 second spot is a good one. Great promo with "building the 777".

FLALEFTY

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Quoting n92r03 (Reply 20):
The same ad is showing here in TPA as well. Even the local news broadcast has a tag of "brought to you locally by Emirates, with over 100 flights to Dubai"...

We got the same ad on Orlando's WFTV Channel 9's Eyewitness News this morning.

enilria

RE: EK Running Ads In The Miami Area Local Channels

Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Emirates is getting huge financial incentives from airports to fly there. DFW gave them something like $7 million in incentives I hear. A lot of that money is advertising only. That's just a massive amount to spend in one media market. It may be that these ads are being purchased with somebody else's money.

KLAXAirport

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:59 pm

I could and hope to see EK in MIA! However, Does MIA have a big Arab population, or would the route be used for Vacation traveling/Business traveling??

Cheers
KLAXAirport   

AABB777

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 22):
It may be that these ads are being purchased with somebody else's money.

I'm guessing this could be an EK/Boeing ad campaign with EK using Boeing co-op dollars to fund the buy, thus the reason the ads tout the 'Boeing 777'.

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:19 pm

For what it's worth, I've seen the same ad in Houston about the 777 being built.
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

CPT523

Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Don't get too excited. EK also running adds here in Denver.

NWADC9

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 10):

Well, we do have a gate for the A380!  
Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 16):
Yeah, if JFK, EWR and BOS are hit with a massive snowstorm. Although I think we have A380 certified gate(s)...but don't quote me on that.

C61
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

FLALEFTY

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 23):
I could and hope to see EK in MIA! However, Does MIA have a big Arab population, or would the route be used for Vacation traveling/Business traveling??

It would make sense for EK to add MIA, since MIA is the gateway to the Caribbean, Central and South America.

I also think MCO, with its strong tourist O&D market would be attractive to EK.

nomorerjs

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:19 am

I think EK will someday serve ORD, but much past the 2010 that Clark said. Heck, EY is here and QR will probably be here soon. EK needs to get their act together or UA/AA may shock us with ORD-DXB (yeah, right, but who knows).

crownvic

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting KLAXAirport (Reply 23):

I really doubt EK's primary marketing preference is for the Arab market. What many do not realize is, EK is slowly becoming the reincarnation of the old Pan American World Airways. They want EVERYONE to fly them, not just Arabs. Furthermore, they are not solely marketing Dubai (and the Middle East), but are marketing DXB as a connecting point for their entire network that is growing by the day. While many think I may be "reaching" with the Pan Am comment, it is no secret that EK will try to reach every major city in the world in the next 25 years, bring them to DXB and then connect them. There is a reason that nearly every country and their flag carrier is not happy when EK steps into their turf.

These commercials that are appearing in every major and secondary market in the U.S. are not aimed at Arabs, but are aimed at everyday U.S. business travelers that need to get to Africa, The Asian sub-continent, SE Asia and even Australia/NZ along w/ the Middle East.

The blue "PAA" and blue globe use to be seen at exotic destinations all over the world where they served as the only air link out. I expect the black/red/green tails of EK will take on the same presence in the coming years.

UAL747

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:25 am

We get Korean Air ads here in Oklahoma City. The nearest KE market is 4 hour drive away to DFW, and Delta does not fly OKC-DFW anymore. Maybe they are starting service here? LOL. Or perhaps it's just an ad that is sent out to ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, FOXNews, CNN, MSNBC, that is used as a stock commercial no matter what market it happens to run in. I mean, any advertising anywhere is better than no exposure at all. Many people in Oklahoma City have heard of EK and would prefer to fly them given a proper connection (probably IAH or DFW), but the advertising doesn't mean that they are going to fly there.

That said, Emirates IS Emirates, I mean, what you gonna do with eventually 100 777's?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ghifty

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:38 am

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 8):
EK's advertising agency - StrawberryFrog - placed a two week television ad buy in several markets,

STRAWBERRYFROG? Most of their works looks childish and tounge-in-cheek.. You'd think an airline like EK would choose Ogilvy and Mather, or Grey. Perhaps even BA's Bartle Bogle Hegarty.. but strawberryfrog Yikes!
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

FWAERJ

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Quoting nomorerjs (Reply 29):

I think EK will someday serve ORD, but much past the 2010 that Clark said. Heck, EY is here and QR will probably be here soon. EK needs to get their act together or UA/AA may shock us with ORD-DXB (yeah, right, but who knows).

I'd say that QR is a given for ORD with their UA codeshare. UA already serves DXB from IAD, so I could see UA starting ORD-DXB with the 787.

What about EK? As I have said before, the Chicago Department of Aviation's joint-venture relationship with Abu Dhabi Airports Company (the operator of AUH) might be the holdup here. You can read more about the CDA/ADAC "sister airport" agreement here: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...habiairportscompanysignsister.html
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

5MillionMiler

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Just saw the EK ad on TV New Year's Eve in DFW. Nice to watch but strange message as they make the 777 look like a new invention... ironic considering they are about to get #1,000.

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting cmf (Reply 6):
Funny how they are re-using much of the building an A380 ad. Then of course it was European workers instead

For reference, the A380 ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRt5v7l7fE

Is it just me, or was the A380 add far more impressive? Maybe as when they swing in the stuffed section having that extra deck just looks 'it.'

I'm amazed how much of the footage was recycled.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 24):
I'm guessing this could be an EK/Boeing ad campaign with EK using Boeing co-op dollars to fund the buy, thus the reason the ads tout the 'Boeing 777'.

You're probably right. EK could also be seeing which markets 'respond' to the advertising.

Quoting crownvic (Reply 30):
These commercials that are appearing in every major and secondary market in the U.S. are not aimed at Arabs, but are aimed at everyday U.S. business travelers that need to get to Africa, The Asian sub-continent, SE Asia and even Australia/NZ along w/ the Middle East.

I suspect you are right. It is amazing how much resistance there is to try an airline that one only hears about when buying the ticket. By 'seeding the idea' of Emirates as an alternative, it should make it easier to do the sale.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

enilria

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 24):
Quoting enilria (Reply 22):
It may be that these ads are being purchased with somebody else's money.

That's another possibility or it could be that Boeing will match 50% of an advertising buy and Emirates got DFW to provide the other 50%.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:47 am

Beside the point that there in fact IS a chance for Pittsburgh, I see that your city is in the same state as Philadelphia which has a "running chance"

flightsimer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 am

I have seen the ad now three times here in Pittsburgh. At first i thought i was dreaming it because i was taking a cat nap when i heard it, but i have since seen it twice more.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

B747forever

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 am

Saw it earlier today here in Los Angeles.
Work Hard, Fly Right

PITrules

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 am

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 38):
I have seen the ad now three times here in Pittsburgh. At first i thought i was dreaming it because i was taking a cat nap when i heard it, but i have since seen it twice more.

Me too; and I've seen Korean Air commercials at least 100 times over the past few years. This is obviously a nationwide ad campaign by EK.

The only way we will see EK in PIT is when both YYZ and JFK are closed due to weather, or when one of the Emirati sheiks need a serious organ transplant.
FLYi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos