kaitak744
Topic Author

What Is A Virgin Australia 777 Doing At T5 At LAX?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:41 am

What is a Virgin Australia 777 doing at T5 at LAX?

I thought they arrive at TBIT and depart from T3?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

vhqpa

RE: What Is A Virgin Australia 777 Doing At T5 At LAX?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:58 am

They recently moved their Arrivals to T5. Not exactly sure when but it would've been in the last month or two.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...-guides/international/los-angeles/
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

timf

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:14 pm

This is part of the joint venture with DL, to make connections easier.

ikramerica

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:21 pm

1. I was at TBIT Friday picking up a friend from CI 06 and a V Australia flight was listed as arriving TBIT.

2. Making DL connections easier makes VX connections harder doesn't it?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Yes VA uses T-5 now for their international arrivals.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 3):
1. I was at TBIT Friday picking up a friend from CI 06 and a V Australia flight was listed as arriving TBIT.

Friday was a mess for VA. They had two diversions to ONT, with the second flight not making it back to LAX till about 1pm at which time the DL FIS had already closed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

nycdave

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I've often wondered about the strategies for Virgin brands regarding connections and ties. The links between the various Virgin brands are relatively weak -- and often weaker than partnerships with other airlines. I know part of this is due to foreign ownership rules and restrictions, but surely there must be ways for them to more closely integrate without violating those... and don't they already have an interline agreement with V Australia? Why would they prioritize the DL connection when they have that? Must be very confusing for non-expert passengers who assume that because an airline has "Virgin" in its name, it's linked to others...

FURUREFA

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:51 pm

I assume that VX is a simple codeshare, while DL is a joint venture so I assume the volume of connections between DL and Virgin Australia is greater than the connections between VX and Virgin Australia?

kaitak744
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:02 pm

So they arrive at T5 to make connections TO DL easier.... but VX harder. Then they depart from T3 to make connections FROM VX easier, but DL harder. That is just messed up.

To be honest, there is no easy way of doing that, but this is definitely not a great way.

ikramerica

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting kaitak744 (Reply 7):
So they arrive at T5 to make connections TO DL easier.... but VX harder. Then they depart from T3 to make connections FROM VX easier, but DL harder. That is just messed up.

To be honest, there is no easy way of doing that, but this is definitely not a great way.

Especially because you need to reclear security to connect to DL, but not from.

I assume they offer an shuttle van to connect to T3 inside security, so my guess is it is very little to do with making it more convenient for one over the other, but more that T5 FIS is better than TBIT for all concerned?

Concordski

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Having gone through customs a few times in LAX from T5 in the past couple of years (SYD-LAX), (HND-LAX), I can also say that this doesn't really make it that much easier. It's still a long walk to the customs facility when arriving internationally. Probably only makes the difference for the USA-Australia direction of travel.

ikramerica

Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
Friday was a mess for VA. They had two diversions to ONT, with the second flight not making it back to LAX till about 1pm at which time the DL FIS had already closed.

Both flights diverted to TBIT. First flight arrived at about 10:40 according to the big board.

Quoting Concordski (Reply 9):
Having gone through customs a few times in LAX from T5 in the past couple of years (SYD-LAX), (HND-LAX), I can also say that this doesn't really make it that much easier. It's still a long walk to the customs facility when arriving internationally. Probably only makes the difference for the USA-Australia direction of travel.

Most airports have long walks to FIS. But my assumption is that the crowds at T5 on arrival will be smaller than TBIT.

DJMEL

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 am

Virgin Australia flights see more DL connecting pax to to Central and Eastern States in the US than VX connectors, so it makes more sense for us to arrive at T5!!!!

timpdx

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:43 am

I just arrived 2 nights ago on a DL flight from Haneda, we parked at T5, then took the jetway, had to go downstairs, take a bus almost to the beach side of the airport, go all the way around to the other side of TBIT, then walk the entire length of the TBIT back to the other side to get to FIS. How this can make things better for VX customers, I do not know. It was such an absurd thing that I will do all that I can do to avoid DL international flights arriving at T5 in the future, it was unreal to be put through that after a transpac flight.

JQflightie

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:24 am

which one is worth the most money to VA, DL or VX  
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER