aio86

European Airlines To Honolulu

Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:11 am

Does anyone here think that a European airline will ever fly (not including codeshares) to Honolulu? I think that it would be pretty cool to see a Lufthansa or British Airways jet in Honolulu. They could do it probably on their 747s through LAX or SFO. I know they already have ideal connections with their partners United and American but I still think it would be cool. Maybe Air France would do it since they're the only ones that fly here from Europe daily that have a plane smaller than a 747 (777). But it's also the same connection story with them and Delta. Oh, well. Post your responses please.
-Aaron

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Whitebird

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Whitebird

Click for large version

Photo © Janne Laukkonen

RE: European Airlines To Honolulu

Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:28 am

To do it, the European carriers would have to be granted cabotage rights to carry passengers on the LAX-HNL leg. Since the US has made it fairly clear that it won't allow foreign airlines to fly US domestic flights, even as extensions of International services, don't hold your breath.

Also, there is very little market for flights to Hawaii from Europe, the Carribbean, South America, Africa, the Indian Ocean Islands and the Far East are all closer, more accessible and cheaper for us!

Regards
JET SETTER

RE: European Airlines To Honolulu

Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:45 am

Air New Zealand has or used to have flights HNL-LAX but I dont think they were allowed to pick up or drop off passengers *between* HNL-LAX. Can anyone confirm this?