NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I flew into DTW this morning and saw some sort of facility that looked like it was being built between Runways 4L/22R and 4R/22L right across from the MacNamara Terminal. I didn't see it very well because it was on the opposite side of the plane than what I was sitting on. It looks like a metal structure going up and doesn't look big/strong enough to be another terminal, which there aren't even any plans for (but would be a great location if there ever was another need to expand at DTW.

Anyone know what this structure is?

PSU.DTW.SCE

RE: New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:01 pm

I believe this is a Ground Run-Up Enclosure. This is part of a noise abatement program to reduce noise to the neighboring communities from run-ups for aircraft maintenance purposes.

NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

RE: New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 pm

That would make perfect sense and a good place for it since it is also on the south side further away from communities. I always thought that if there ever was a lot of growth at DTW, which doesn't look likely in this current economy but maybe 15-20 years from now if we make it thru 12-21-12, that area would be great for Mac Terminal expansion where you could fit a concourse "D" and "E" over there with a train under the runway.