NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm

I flew into DTW this morning and saw some sort of facility that looked like it was being built between Runways 4L/22R and 4R/22L right across from the MacNamara Terminal. I didn't see it very well because it was on the opposite side of the plane than what I was sitting on. It looks like a metal structure going up and doesn't look big/strong enough to be another terminal, which there aren't even any plans for (but would be a great location if there ever was another need to expand at DTW.

Anyone know what this structure is?

PSU.DTW.SCE

RE: New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:01 pm

I believe this is a Ground Run-Up Enclosure. This is part of a noise abatement program to reduce noise to the neighboring communities from run-ups for aircraft maintenance purposes.

NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

RE: New Construction At DTW B/t Runways

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 pm

That would make perfect sense and a good place for it since it is also on the south side further away from communities. I always thought that if there ever was a lot of growth at DTW, which doesn't look likely in this current economy but maybe 15-20 years from now if we make it thru 12-21-12, that area would be great for Mac Terminal expansion where you could fit a concourse "D" and "E" over there with a train under the runway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos