Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

The History Of Trans Ocean Airlines?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 am

Here is another one I never heard of.Were they a scheduled air line or a charter operation.Where did they fly to?

stasisLAX

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:29 am

TransOcean was previously know as "Gulf Air Transport" and had for a brief time some scheduled service from the US to the UK, Italy, and the Azores. They flew DC-8s which were fuel guzzlers and were not reliable due to age and poor service.

tymnbalewne

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 am

here's some info on TALOA / Transocean:
Transocean Air Lines/

swabrian

RE: The History Of Trans Ocean Airlines?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 1):
TransOcean was previously know as "Gulf Air Transport" and had for a brief time some scheduled service from the US to the UK, Italy, and the Azores. They flew DC-8s which were fuel guzzlers and were not reliable due to age and poor service.

I think the OP was referring to a different TransOcean which was known as TALOA. See the history link in tymnbalwwne. TALOA never got the opportunity to buy jets, having completely liquidated by 1961. Ernest Gann flew for TALOA, and the DC-4 used in the film The High and the Mighty, belonged to TALOA, and the ramp scenes were their ramp.

When I worked in OAK during the 1970s, next to their former hangar, then used by AirCalifornia was still a cowling ring from one of their Stratocrusiers. Trans International had a cabin trainer outside at OAK's North Field and it used a fuselage section from a TALOA Connie.

maxpower1954

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 am

Quoting tymnbalewne (Reply 2):
here's some info on TALOA / Transocean:
Transocean Air Lines/

Thanks for the link, that's a great website about TALOA.

When I flew for World Airways quite a few of the senior guys had flown for Trans-Ocean. One was Bill Keating, the VP of Flight Ops, who flew the TALOA DC-4 leased by Paramont for the film "The High and the Mighty".

Viscount724

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:03 pm

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
Were they a scheduled air line or a charter operation

They were what's known as a "supplemental carrier", basically a charter operator although the supplementals were permitted some limited services on a published schedule but with very restricted frequencies.

Another brief summary of Transocean's history here:
http://www.robertoharder.com/transocean.htm

Viscount724

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting swabrian (Reply 3):
When I worked in OAK during the 1970s, next to their former hangar, then used by AirCalifornia was still a cowling ring from one of their Stratocrusiers.

Transocean acquired most of BOAC's Stratocruisers in the late 1950s. They went out of business soon after.

swabrian

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
Quoting swabrian (Reply 3):
When I worked in OAK during the 1970s, next to their former hangar, then used by AirCalifornia was still a cowling ring from one of their Stratocrusiers.

Transocean acquired most of BOAC's Stratocruisers in the late 1950s. They went out of business soon after.

Yes I know. That's what I wrote. However, that one cowling ring was like a dinosaur bone, I don't know why it was never removed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos