timberwolf24
Topic Author

Virgin America To Announce A New City.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 am

Just saw on their Facebook page if you guess the next new VX city you will receive 20% off airfare. The choices they are listing are Atlanta, Newark, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia and yes Bozeman. I'm thinking Bozeman.....lol
https://www.facebook.com/VirginAmerica?sk=app_299589673426698

[Edited 2012-01-13 17:03:15]

Edited to add PHL that I forgot in the original posting....

[Edited 2012-01-13 17:29:08]
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Virgin America To Announce A New City.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:09 am

Newark...duh.

Didn't they make an announcement a few weeks ago that EWR was on the top of their list?
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

realsim

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:11 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Thread starter):
The choices they are listing are Atlanta, Newark, Houston, Phoenix and yes Bozeman. I'm thinking Bozeman.....lol

They also list PHL as an option.

flyingcat

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Thread starter):
The choices they are listing are Atlanta, Newark, Houston, Phoenix and yes Bozeman
PHL Philadelphia is also listed  

[Edited 2012-01-13 17:31:58]

B757capt

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:13 am

EWR gets my vote.

The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

N766UA

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 am

It'll be Newark, because for some reason airlines continue to flock there despite enormous delays the likes of which mankind has never seen before. People on organ transplant lists have shorter wait times than airplanes in the hold for EWR.
This Website Censors Me

timberwolf24
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 am

Quoting realsim (Reply 2):
PHL Philadelphia is also listed
Quoting realsim (Reply 2):
They also list PHL as an option

Yes my mistake.

iad51fl

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:38 am

H-Town gets my vote.

The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

timberwolf24
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 am

Could it be Atlanta in response to WN????

I say no, it will not be EWR. EWR is slot controlled and to get slot VX would need to file a request or purchase/lease from another airline. Both transactions would be public and VX could not keep it under wraps. Then does VX have that kind of cash to purchase slots?

Jetmarc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 am

Bozeman is such a random city, yet, it is a hip college town...

I too think it will be Houston. With their apparent success serving DFW, desire to lure business pax, and their tendency to attack legacy carriers, new service to IAH from both SFO/LAX seems like the perfect fight to pick with the new UA/CO.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

BoeingGuy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:37 am

Quoting jetMARC (Reply 9):

I liked Bozeman too the one time I was there. Unfortunately being a cool place doesn't necessarily translate to profitable service in great places like BZM, FLG, PRC, YLW, BLI, TLV, ITO, SBA, RDD, etc.

Any chance the VX will start SJC and compete with what little transcon routes B6 has? They could resume stuff like SJC-IAD, SJC-EWR, SJC-MIA, etc.

hiflyeras

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:58 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Reply 8):
no, it will not be EWR. EWR is slot controlled and to get slot VX would need to file a request or purchase/lease from another airline. Both transactions would be public and VX could not keep it under wraps. Then does VX have that kind of cash to purchase slots?

Agreed...definitely not EWR. It looks like UA/CO have eight n/s flights a day LAX-IAH. DL has five daily LAX-ATL along with YX (2) and the new WN flight (1). I think VX would be chicken to compete with WN to either ATL or IAH so I'm going with Philly.

BigGSFO

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 am

I'll vote for Philadelphia or Atlanta.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 10):
Any chance the VX will start SJC a

I always thought SJC would be a good addition, albeit they would probably operate it from LAX.

timberwolf24
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:09 am

I think they have VX has said without saying what city they will be announcing Tuesday the 17th. What is this Sunday that will be celebrated on Monday, I think that will give you the answer to the new VX city.....

MAH4546

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Reply 8):
Could it be Atlanta in response to WN????

I say no, it will not be EWR. EWR is slot controlled and to get slot VX would need to file a request or purchase/lease from another airline. Both transactions would be public and VX could not keep it under wraps. Then does VX have that kind of cash to purchase slots?

There is nothing public about a private transaction for slots between two airlines.
a.

atrude777

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:17 am

Quoting timberwolf24 (Reply 13):
I think they have VX has said without saying what city they will be announcing Tuesday the 17th. What is this Sunday that will be celebrated on Monday, I think that will give you the answer to the new VX city.....

The timing is indeed quite peculiar and would fit in with that hint!

Also a great response to WN announcing ATL-LAX, though to be fair, it's not a NEW route to the combined WN/FL however would add more competition to Delta too.

Any city is likely, but we haven't heard about them getting slots at EWR so I would put it low on the list.

PHX--I cannot see them flying LAX-PHX, every grandma and grandpa airline is flying the LA Basin to Phoenix-Mesa Market, the yields would just be lower, but SFO and JFK could be likely.

Houston/PHL--Also quite possible too, would add competition to LAX and SFO and NYC

I think any city is possible, but my vote is going to Atlanta.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

RWA380

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 am

Sigh....PDX is not even on the list.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

FedExFlyerPHL

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 am

I'm going to go with PHL. If they actually do it, it might actually make it worth it to use LAX instead of SNA to go home for a change.

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:53 am

IAH would be awesome, but my money is on PHX or PHL.
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

thomasphoto60

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 am

If H-Town is the "chosen one", I wonder as to which airport they will select. I would wager that HOU would get the nod, as UA seems to be fortifying IAH.
"Show me the Braniffs"

IADLHR

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:55 am

Quoting jetMARC (Reply 9):

Any chance, I dont think so, it could be a seasonal summer service? It has really changed and grown over the years.

Seriously, I think it will be ATL.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 18):
IAH would be awesome, but my money is on PHX or PHL.

I am voting on PHX because the East Valley and Scottsdale is such a resort destination (especially for golfers) and I live here, but I honestly think PHL is the likely winner.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

SurfandSnow

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:24 am

It's always exciting to see my favorite U.S. carrier expand!

ATL - bound to happen sooner or later, as it really fits the VX bill - populous, hip major city AND key business market. However, as I understand it the airport is very short on gate space. Unless the opening of Concourse F will change that, VX may wait patiently until they can get a good deal (just as they did at ORD, where they refused to use the relatively expensive int'l terminal or a enter into a costly sublease agreement, instead they waited until industry consolidation freed up domestic gates that they could get directly from the city). VX entry to ATL move would certainly elicit a very aggressive DL response, but VX certainly isn't afraid of competition. At least the other competitor FL/WN is tied up with the merger process and is far more concerned with other carriers - namely F9 - than VX. In any case, I doubt this upcoming addition is ATL. I think ATL could be added sometime in 2013, perhaps when WN drops FL's F product on the long ATL-California runs. That would be an excellent time for somebody to come in and swoop up the higher-yielding traffic that doesn't need/want to fly DL but also won't take the all-Y cattle car.

BZN - stranger things have happened, I guess, but I can't see this small niche market working for VX..yet. I liken this sort of market to B6 at ACK, which they successfully started once the JFK hub was well established from a local O&D loyalty and beyond connectivity perspective. At this point, BZN is still probably better off with UAX service to SFO/LAX. In about 5 years, when VX is better established in its hub markets and has exhausted traditional expansion options (i.e. the other 5 markets on this list) I could maybe see this market coming online.

EWR - we all know VX wants in, but IMHO they missed a golden opportunity - their one and only chance at getting a bunch of well-timed slots - when they sat on the sidelines of the UA/CO merger (all of those airlines' divested slots went to WN, which was able to provide great competition to UA/CO hubs at Chicago, Denver, and Houston; however, I think VX should have argued its case for slots to serve the same purpose: offering much-needed competition to SFO and LAX). Realistically, the only way VX could ever get the prime-time slots it needs would be to engage in a slot swap arrangement (highly unlikely, since the only slots they would have to trade are at JFK, which happens to be an airport where they have said they want more slots) or a very costly purchase (which VX probably can't afford). Unless they managed to come up with an inexpensive leasing agreement that we haven't heard about, I am all but certain EWR will be without VX service for many years to come.

Houston (IAH/HOU?) - bound to happen sooner or later, as it really fits the VX bill - populous, hip major city AND key business market. Something tells me they'd go for IAH, which has plenty of space available in Terminal A right now, but HOU has attracted all of the other (U.S.) LCCs so I'm not certain. While I'm quite sure Houston will come online very soon, I don't think it will be added right now - the new market's presumable summer start would coincide with the worst time of year to visit Houston. I would expect Houston to come online a la DFW in the late fall/early winter - likely towards the end of 2012.

PHL - bound to happen sooner or later, as it really fits the VX bill - populous, hip major city AND key business market. The airport has some spare gate space after all of the WN cuts, which coincidentally mean that VX won't have to worry about competing against them - just the dismal US product, and an obscure DL flight that almost nobody knows about. Plenty of room for a high quality LCC alternative to do well, I'd say. Longer routes like transcons have also been the arena in which VX has done well, as oppose to their struggles in shorter haul markets where people are far less likely to pay a premium over no frills competitors. The new market's presumable summer start would perfectly coincide with the best time of year to visit Philadelphia. Thus, I expect the answer to this contest would be PHL. I have already submitted that answer and look forward to getting the 20% discount!

PHX - from a market perspective it really fits the VX bill - hip major city AND popular resort/leisure destination AND key business market. However, VX has admittedly struggled on shorter-haul routes where people are much less likely to pay a premium for the better product. SFO-PHX is a crowded route with ample UA, WN, and US service while LAX-PHX would be nothing short of a disaster. Also, a presumable summer start would coincide with the worst time of year to visit Phoenix. I highly doubt we'll see PHX added now or anytime particularly soon.

So, I'm quite confident PHL will be this mystery addition, for a summer 2012 start. Then we could see Houston added later in the year, and ATL next year. I think VX will be trying to boost frequency on existing routes (DFW and ORD for starters) - to better appeal to business travelers - than adding a whole bunch of new markets. Then again, I wouldn't be at all shocked if this airline jumped right in to more leisure markets on a whim. Now that all of the major Mexican resorts are covered, MSY and TPA spring to mind. Or perhaps its time to look further south - Costa Rica is mighty popular with the West Coast crowd!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

phljjs

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:49 am

I'm hoping for PHL. I know the airport has talked to B6 and VX about starting service in the past. There are 4 vacant gates in Terminal D from the UA/CO merger and WN moving over to Terminal E. The only issue right now is ticket counter space since UA/CO still have separate counters in D, but that will solve itself in a few months.

as739x

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 23):

Little birdie (Not to be confused with Angry Bird) tells me you will be very happy with the announcement.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Indy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 pm

VX seems to target high profile and very over served markets. So naturally it has to be Bozeman  . j/k. My guess is Atlanta. With ATL being a hub for an LCC and with DL being pretty no frills domestically I'd think VX would be able to take premium domestic passengers from DL and WN/FL.

Wouldn't it be funny if it were Bozeman?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

phljjs

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 24):
Little birdie (Not to be confused with Angry Bird) tells me you will be very happy with the announcement.

Thanks! Awesome news!!
I'm planning a trip out west in early fall and I'm looking forward to flying on VX for it. I'll be going to Yuma, AZ, so I'm hoping they do PHL-SAN. I'd love for them to open PHX as well, but I'm not too picky.

BoeingGuy

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 25):

Yeah, that would be ironic. I wonder where they'd do it from? SFO and LAX? BZM does get ski traffic and Yellowstone traffic seasonally. It is a hub for a lot of seasonal recreation and tourism.

Maybe it's a market ripe for someone to come in and develop and promote flying to Yellowstone and the ski areas nearby. YLW is similar. Lots to do there - great ski areas, wineries, summer recreation, etc.

On the other hand, I personally like these places staying low key, so maybe I don't want to see this.   I'd hate to see Silver Star end up like another Whistler or Aspen.

I think QX tried a CRJ LAX-BZM in the summer a few years ago. Not sure how well it worked. Doesn't UA do SFO-BZM seasonally? I know BZM supports and A319 to MSP, and NW also tried BZM-DTW.

Bobloblaw

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Guessing ATL or IAH.

ERJ170

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Gawd! Can RDU get some SFO service from someone? I know VX needs to hit the major markets first but come on! Can I get to the Bay area non-stop! I have flown VX IAD-SFO and let me tell you..it was one of the best flights I have EVER had! Love the atmosphere. Love the options. Love the mood lighting. Love the flight attendants (wink wink). Love the moving map. I just thought it was completely awesome both legs! Why oh WHY won't they go to RDU???? I mean, it's an unserved market! Ripe for VX to come in a command the market! Sheesh!
Aiming High and going far..

Bobloblaw

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 22):
VX entry to ATL move would certainly elicit a very aggressive DL response,

VX shoudnt be deterred by B6's experience in LAX-LGB. LAX-ATL has lots more potential than even exists today. Problem is ATL point of sale pax had no clue where LGB was, so that was a strike against B6. If VX entered LAX/SFO-ATL, they could certainly fill the planes, but at what fare?

splitterz

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I wish VX was more of a major player..

AA94

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 am

PHL gets my vote as well ... It totally fits the VX brand image and would be ideal for the summer start timeframe ... Competing with US on transcons is a no-brainer, because the VX experience is much better.

If for some reason it's not PHL, my vote would be with ATL ... the timeframe would also be right-ish, and they might see it as a good opportunity to compete with WN on the newly announced ATL-LAX route.

Can't wait to see what it really is!
If you can't take the heat, you best get out of the kitchen

ridgid727

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 25):

Along with many Hollywood stars, doesn't Cush own 150 acre ranch in the Gallatin Valley near BZN?

IADLHR

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:33 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 25):

I dont totally rule that out for seasonal service. Does anybody know if Bozeman is trying to lure new service with incentives? Is so,Bozeman could be the new city.

hiflyeras

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 34):
I dont totally rule that out for seasonal service. Does anybody know if Bozeman is trying to lure new service with incentives? Is so,Bozeman could be the new city.

Y'all crack me up! I'd venture to guess you've never been to Bozemen, let alone Montana. Montana is one of the most sparsely populated states in the U.S. The entire county/metro BZN area only has about 90,000 people. Yes, things pick up a bit in the summer with people visiting Yellowstone Nat'l Park but there would be no way to justify mainline jets year-round on a daily basis from SFO or LAX.

ridgid727

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 35):
Y'all crack me up! I'd venture to guess you've never been to Bozemen, let alone Montana

796,110 Revenue Enplanement./deplanements a year for an area with only 90,000 in population is pretty darn good.

www.bozemanairport.com

[Edited 2012-01-15 14:33:34]

mariner

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 34):

BZN seems fairly confident it has (or nearly) the funding to subsidize a service to New York and an airline to provide it. It has a SCASD grant for the purpose and is close to finalizing the private component:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...2-3d7c-11e1-8d14-001871e3ce6c.html

"Negotiations between the Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport and an airline on a direct flight to New York City are nearly complete."

It is to be 1 x weekly (Saturday) and I assume it would be LGA when the perimeter rule does not apply.

I would have thought tit would go to one of the airlines serving BZN - Delta, especially, because of NY, or perhaps Frontier - but who knows? Maybe Virgin America is getting the guernsey.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Alitalia744

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 37):

Delta rumors are swirling on this route
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

IADLHR

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 38):
Delta rumors are swirling on this route

I have heard that and that makes me think Bozeman might be the new city. As a side note, rumors are starting to swril around DL doing NYC-ABQ. daily. I guess it would be JFK-ABQ as LGA-ABQ would have perimeter issues.

SCL767

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 am

VX will launch LAX-PHL and SFO-PHL in April.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 am

No BZN then? Darn. I was hoping for that one.

smoot4208

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 40):

If true, this service will fail miserably against US' PHL-LAX/SFO.

Alitalia744

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:40 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 42):

Dont thinkmso. They arent failing miserably against others in hubs or in the battle lax-nyc
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:47 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 40):

If that's the case, then I guess I won't be getting 20% off a VX flight from the facebook contest. DANG IT
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

SCL767

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:13 am

VX plans on operating LAX-PHL 3x daily and SFO-PHL 2x daily:
http://bit.ly/w2yDhT

Indy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 am

If true, this service will fail miserably against US' PHL-LAX/SFO

VX is doing what they seem to do best. They go into heavily served airports and go after heavily served routes. They bring in a domestic product that is superior to anyone else and take the premium traffic. I believe they are also proof that people will pay more for a better product. A 19+ inch seat in the main cabin is just unheard of these days. I personally hope they stick with this and keep growing. Eventually the other airlines will have take notice and ease up on the race to the bottom.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

FedExFlyerPHL

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:54 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 45):

If this is true, it may make flying out of LAX worthwhile...plus it will be just in time for my planned trip home in April or May. That 20% off will help out too.

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

phllax

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 46):
If true, this service will fail miserably against US' PHL-LAX/SFO

VX is doing what they seem to do best. They go into heavily served airports and go after heavily served routes. They bring in a domestic product that is superior to anyone else and take the premium traffic. I believe they are also proof that people will pay more for a better product. A 19+ inch seat in the main cabin is just unheard of these days. I personally hope they stick with this and keep growing. Eventually the other airlines will have take notice and ease up on the race to the bottom.

This will kick US in the behind more than UA and DL! The only thing similar about the USand VX products are Airbus equipment and GoGo. Otherwise VX wins hands down. Red or no IFE; power ports vs no power ports; well stocked decent BOB vs minimal stocked BOB, etc. The only thing that will keep people with US is elite status and a larger FC cabin.

SurfandSnow

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:24 am

As expected, they have chosen to serve PHL. I think Houston will be next - come winter, of course, when its not oppressively hot there  .
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!