jasp25
Topic Author

Philippine Airlines: We Will Fly To NYC Soon!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:42 am

It's official. PAL announced on Facebook two hours ago that it will start serving MNL-NYC.

... Philippine Airlines flies you to New York! Soon!

No details in their website as to when this will start but I assume this will happen as soon as FAA upgrades the Philippines status.

I am thinking this will be a Manila-YVR/SAN/ORD-New York service.
Or can a B777-300ER do a nonstop flight NYC-MNL?

Or is this is gonna be a codeshare flight with either AA or UA and not an actual PR metal flight.

[Edited 2012-01-14 00:56:00]
-peace and chicken grease!

aeroblogger

RE: Philippine Airlines: We Will Fly To NYC Soon!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 am

Tweeted by PAL as well.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 am

MNL-JFK is too far for a 77W. I reckon it will be via NRT/ICN or YVR somewhere like that myself. Unlikely to be via USA port IMO.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

kiwiandrew

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 2):
MNL-JFK is too far for a 77W.

Is it much different to HKG-JFK which CX already fly with 77W?

behramjee

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:31 am

If they are smart, they would fly it via YVR with 5th freedom rights. It may be to their benefit, if they instead did MNL-YVR-EWR instead of JFK. They have 5th freedom rights between YVR-LAS so I dont think so it will be an issue getting the same for YVR-NYC.

JFK is too overcrowded with Asian airlines where as EWR deserves more coverage and PAL has the right O&D market + onward connecting points to warrant high loads year round but not at good yields though.

QANTAS747-438

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 am

MNL-JFK is 8520mi

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 3):
Is it much different to HKG-JFK which CX already fly with 77W?

HKG-JFK is 8072mi

Quoting jasp25 (Thread starter):
It's official. PAL announced on Facebook two hours ago that it will start serving MNL-NYC.

Oops, I assumed they already did   
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

PHLapproach

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:47 am

Oh THANK goodness! I've been whining about a lack of East Coast - MNL for a few years. And even though an a/c cant make it N/S a tag will be just fine. My Wife is gonna be ecstatic when I tell her.

airlineaddict

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Codeshare with EK via DXB. Ha ha!

Seriously though, I think PR's entitlements via YVR are limited if they plan to continue LAS and add SAN via YVR. The interesting question is if they use ICN as a tech stop only westbound with the return flight nonstop given the winds.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Perfect way for PAL to loose buckets of money !

Akiestar

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Finally! People have actually been waiting for this, and it's good that they're coming back to New York City. 

I wonder though which airport they're bound to use: when PR last served New York City, they used EWR. But rumors were going around back home that they're going to use JFK this time around. Hmmm...

And of course, this all goes back to how well the Philippines will do in the upcoming FAA audit, scheduled for this month.

[Edited 2012-01-14 04:42:25]

EPA001

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Maybe they will purchase a B77L for that purpose?  .

VHHYI

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Is anyone able to confirm when the rest of their B77W will be coming? They probably need it to launch this one, I guess.
This Porsche is like an Airbus;an Engineering marvel, but without passion - Jeremy Clarkson

Akiestar

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Quoting VHHYI (Reply 11):
Is anyone able to confirm when the rest of their B77W will be coming? They probably need it to launch this one, I guess.

Two more are arriving this year, and I presume the last two are arriving either in 2013 or 2014, depending on how the FAA audit goes. PR also intends to embark on another refleeting program after rumors came true that San Miguel Corporation plans to invest in PAL Holdings (the mother company).

jfklganyc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:38 pm

"JFK is too overcrowded with Asian airlines where as EWR deserves more coverage and PAL has the right O&D market + onward connecting points to warrant high loads year round but not at good yields though."

There is a reason for that. The airlines are making a smart business decision being at JFK.

One of the Asian airlines ( I think Eva) recently switched to JFK, CX will pick up the EWR slot to supplement their JFK service.

The huge Asian population is Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Philipine, is all in Queens and Brooklyn. NJ just doesn't have the scope or depth of these populations.

Furthermore, in the last 20 years, these population have boomed. And they are not poor immigrant populations. They are moving into affluent areas in Queens (Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck) and buying houses in excess of $1 million (not that that's excessive in NYC) but you get the point.

If your an Asian airline, you really belong at JFK unless you are supplementing already existing service

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 8):

NYCMNL is almost 2000mi longer than NRT yet it's consistently cheaper than NYCNRT, and there's next to no business demand between NYC and MNL. Bring it on!
E pur si muove -Galileo

RWA380

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Doesn't PAL use GUM as their westbound fueling stop from SFO & LAX, due to it's close proximity to MNL? Wouldn't that be a good choice for their NYC service as well.

CX already flies YVR-JFK, and has good loads, if PAL comes in with a 777, there will be too many seats for either carrier to make any money.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

Tomassjc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 9):
And of course, this all goes back to how well the Philippines will do in the upcoming FAA audit, scheduled for this month.

That's what I thought...perhaps this is all too good to be true! Finger crossed. We would love to see increased PR frequencies out of SFO!

Tom in SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

STT757

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 13):
The huge Asian population is Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Philipine, is all in Queens and Brooklyn. NJ just doesn't have the scope or depth of these populations.

Nonsense, the Asian carriers all have dedicated bus services to connect Northern New Jersey with JFK.

Previous Asian carriers at EWR:

Korean Air (left after 9/11)
Malaysian air
Philippine air
EVA

Obviously there is demand (otherwise they would not have launched their routes), the problem for the Asian carriers is CO/UA is too much competition. They do better at JFK because of the lack of competition from AA and DL.

CO is flying someone to Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Mumbai, Delhi. And according to some it's not NY's, because people from NY never use EWR, so obviously there is demand.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

flyguy1

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 13):
One of the Asian airlines ( I think Eva) recently switched to JFK, CX will pick up the EWR slot to supplement their JFK service.

Is this still happening?
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

Tomassjc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 15):
Doesn't PAL use GUM as their westbound fueling stop from SFO & LAX, due to it's close proximity to MNL? Wouldn't that be a good choice for their NYC service as well.

Was lucky enough to go nonstop the last 2 times SFO-MNL (May and October)

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 15):
CX already flies YVR-JFK, and has good loads, if PAL comes in with a 777, there will be too many seats for either carrier to make any money

I think PAL will have enough MNL-JFK traffic so they won't worry too much about local passengers between YVR to JFK!
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

RWA380

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
Was lucky enough to go nonstop the last 2 times SFO-MNL (May and October)

Good to hear, it depends on how many bilikbayan boxes there are I guess. Does PR still use the 744 on this route?

When I worked in downtown SF at a local owned travel agency, the MNL market was cut throat, sometimes making only 10 bucks on a ticket, but I found lots of my customers that went home to MNL frequently, would avoid PAL like the plauge, and preferred NW or CX even if they were more expensive. Wonder what a 20 hour flight to NYC would be like on PAL? Maybe the 777 will be nicer and more updated.

jasp25
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

PAL again just announced that they will fly a lucky couple to New York "in an ultimate Valentine date".

Hint: sooner than we think??

I wonder how that will be possible using their own metal without FAA upgrade.

(I read somewhere that PAL was seeking a special compliance permit from FAA. Not sure if this has something to do with it.)
-peace and chicken grease!

DocLightning

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 4):
If they are smart, they would fly it via YVR with 5th freedom rights.
MNL-JFK is too far for a 77W. I reckon it will be via NRT/ICN or YVR somewhere like that myself. Unlikely to be via USA port IMO.
JFK-NRT-MNL,+JFK-MNL,+JFK-ICN-MNL,+JFK-YVR-MNL" target="_blank">http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-NRT...+JFK-MNL,+JFK-ICN-MNL,+JFK-YVR-MNL

From the link above, you can see that YVR (or any West Coast city) makes no geographical or geometrical sense. ICN is almost exactly on the great circle between MNL and JFK. ICN is the place to stop for fuel.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

as739x

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 20):

SFO/LAX are mainly 747's with the occasional A340 mixed in. Due to the FAA restrictions on them, they have not been allowed to add new flights and bring the 77W's in. But I believe there is some things in the works right now that will allow some changed. To add JFK, there must be something loosening up in the rules.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Tomassjc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Good to hear, it depends on how many bilikbayan boxes there are I guess. Does PR still use the 744 on this route?

Bruce, yes, and that includes the 4 balikbayan boxes we take! (My partner is from MNL). The ride on the upgraded 744s is not too bad. We've been lucky enough to score exit row seats. Since they sell them at a fee on check in now, they are usually the last to go and make good non-rev seats! I know the service on PAL is definitely not 5 star, but I find it much "warmer" and less "robotic" than other Asian carriers. Never had a complaint. Never been late. Always great to hear them say "Mabuhay" from the flight deck. But of course, when you non-rev, any seat is a good seat!

Tom in SJC

RWA380

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting as739x (Reply 23):

SFO/LAX are mainly 747's with the occasional A340 mixed in. Due to the FAA restrictions on them, they have not been allowed to add new flights and bring the 77W's in. But I believe there is some things in the works right now that will allow some changed. To add JFK, there must be something loosening up in the rules.

Does anyone know for sure what is happening to allow PAL this new route and aircraft? Would we be seeing SFO & LAX going 777 if there indeed is a change of heart on behalf of the US goverment regarding PAL's status here in the US? I was surprised when they were allowed to add LAS.

Tomassjc

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 25):
if there indeed is a change of heart on behalf of the US goverment regarding PAL's status here in the US? I was surprised when they were allowed to add LAS.

Just for the record the FAA category restrictions are for the country of the Philippines...not limited to PAL itself. I'm sure Cebu Pacific, and Air Asia Philippines (if they ever come into existence) would love some of the US market too!

Viscount724

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 10):
Maybe they will purchase a B77L for that purpose?
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 22):
From the link above, you can see that YVR (or any West Coast city) makes no geographical or geometrical sense. ICN is almost exactly on the great circle between MNL and JFK. ICN is the place to stop for fuel.

Geography isn't the only consideration. While routing via YVR is about 400 nm further than via ICN, you also have to consider the O&D demand to/from the intermediate point. And does PR have 5th freedom rights ICN-JFK? If not, why would the Korean authorities want to grant it to them?

If you can't fill all seats MNL-JFK, it should be much easier to fill the surplus capacity in a market like MNL-YVR which has a very large O&D demand than MNL-ICN or a very long 5th freedom market like ICN-JFK which already has plenty of capacity from carriers with better service reputations and links to the major alliances and resulting frequent flyer benefits.

Those types of issues can more than offset a small 400 nm difference in total mileage..

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:07 pm

What was their schedule/routing when they flew to EWR?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Phili...d=efd679df86a79fd86b52c3b096c5172a
E pur si muove -Galileo

ORDJOE

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 8):

I am wondering how much prestige is taking into account. You still need business traffic to sustain this profitably, whether there is enough to get that or not, I am not sure, guessing it is not. Even if queens has wealthier Phillipinos in million dollar houses (That is upper middle class in my mind, you can buy a million dollar house with 200k a year of income, so think of a seasoned cop and teacher and you can get your million dollar house) I do not see a couple making 200-300k spending 10-12K for two J seats to MNL.

LAXintl

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Hey its great to dream, however PAL at the moment can't even change frequencies to the US, nor deploy its new 77W fleet due to FAA safety downgrade.

Until this major obstacle is resolves, this is just all talk....

p.s. - remember they have been talking about San Diego also now for several years.

Quoting jasp25 (Reply 21):
PAL again just announced that they will fly a lucky couple to New York "in an ultimate Valentine date".

Valentines what year ??   

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 28):
What was their schedule/routing when they flew to EWR?

Via YVR as a I recall.

However I do have questions as to the viability of NYC for PAL. In the past they only managed to serve it for a year or two before being dropped. Going back into history, PAL also once served ORD but that also did not last long. So who knows what the true economics would be for PAL on such very long distance VFR markets.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Akiestar

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Yes, and whether or not the route is non-stop both ways depends on the season. Summer flights normally fly non-stop both ways, while winter flights usually have the stop westbound.

Quoting ordjoe (Reply 29):
I am wondering how much prestige is taking into account.

This is not the same PAL as it was when it was government-owned. I presume this has little to do with prestige.

----

I think I have enough faith in PR to believe that they can make this work this time around. Their last foray to NYC, if I'm not mistaken, failed because of a combination of factors: an ambitious expansion program which went wrong due to mismatch of planes to routes, followed by the reimposition of Cat II and finally the Asian financial crisis which pushed the airline to bankruptcy. Those factors are certainly not there this time around, especially now that the airline was able to execute its outsourcing plan.

If they made LAS work (when airlines said they couldn't) and they made the 77Ws work (when people, including A.Net posters, said they couldn't), I think they wouldn't be mindless enough to jump the gun and start NYC without thinking about it, right?

[Edited 2012-01-14 12:53:04]

[Edited 2012-01-14 12:58:21]

SANMAN66

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 30):
PAL at the moment can't even change frequencies to the US, nor deploy its new 77W fleet due to FAA safety downgrade.

Until this major obstacle is resolves, this is just all talk....

I was wondering the same thing, if this involves somehow getting around the FAA safety downgrade, or they're just
being confidendent they will get their CAT-1 back shortly.
PSA Gives you a lift!

PHLapproach

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm

I haven't seen a single mention in this thread bringing up the fact that PAL was paying for a consulting agency to come into the Country and help the PI government gain CAT I status again. Everyone forgot about that I guess? This announcement shows how confident they are that CAAP will pass FAA checks this time after whatever the consulting firm has done/is doing. I think this will be the real deal and they'll pass. We'll see....

SANMAN66

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 33):
I haven't seen a single mention in this thread bringing up the fact that PAL was paying for a consulting agency to come into the Country and help the PI government gain CAT I status again. Everyone forgot about that I guess? This announcement shows how confident they are that CAAP will pass FAA checks this time after whatever the consulting firm has done/is doing. I think this will be the real deal and they'll pass. We'll see....

I know the FAA will be there for the audit this month, but I was wondering how long will it take after the audit for
the Philippines to regain CAT-I status?
PSA Gives you a lift!

The777Man

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 34):
know the FAA will be there for the audit this month, but I was wondering how long will it take after the audit for
the Philippines to regain CAT-I status?

I think that if they pass, it wouldn't take that long time but flying there by Valentine's Day this year seem way too optimistic in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing PR getting more 77Ws in service and hopefully later this year start flying them to LAX (assuming they pass the audit)

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

virgin747

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 pm

When I worked in downtown SF at a local owned travel agency, the MNL market was cut throat, sometimes making only 10 bucks on a ticket, but I found lots of my customers that went home to MNL frequently, would avoid PAL like the plauge, and preferred NW or CX even if they were more expensive.

I'm one of those people. Theres the direct service to MNL from YVR with PAL.... However I prefer the one extra stop with CX in HKG.

beeweel15

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 30):

Via YVR as a I recall.

However I do have questions as to the viability of NYC for PAL. In the past they only managed to serve it for a year or two before being dropped. Going back into history, PAL also once served ORD but that also did not last long. So who knows what the true economics would be for PAL on such very long distance VFR markets.

I worked at World Airways when they flew MNL-YVR-EWR for PAL and can say that the flight was heavy with pax for the EWR-YVR leg but EWR-MNL was light but YVR-MNL was good.

[Edited 2012-01-14 15:51:52]

flyhigh@tom

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:04 am

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 33):

PAL being confident that CAAP will pass FAA checks is pretty dicey! The way i see it, CAAP is still functioning the same way it was for the past few years albeit with a few changes in the management. Every former DG of CAAP giving press statements that his first priority is to bring Phil back to CAT 1 status...    has not materialized till now ...

Its just anybody's guess that the consulting firm is in discussions with Boeing on behalf of PAL to do whatever is possible to allow PAL to be given additional frequencies or destinations/ equipment changes to the US. After all why buy new planes from Boeing if they really cannot be utilized for their tailor made routes!

Personally i think that on one hand while the CAAP is a joke but on the other hand it does not make sense for PAL or for that matter any other Phil based carrier to be punished with the restrictions of CAT 2. If FAA feels CAAP does not have the capacity to oversee safety then why even allow the existing frequencies to the US??? How can those flights be "safe"?   Atleast it should be like the EU ban on particular airlines or subfleets. I can understand FAA not allowing the MA -60 to be allowed to operate into the US. (hypothetical ofcourse...not that the aircraft can ever make it from the Phil islands! ), But not allowing a brand new 777W into the US while allowing the ageing fleets of A340s /B744s?   

Those consultants hired by PAL better be showing some results for this audit!

Akiestar

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Apparently, PAL has tweeted that details will be released "next week", which probably means this week as the tweet was sent last Saturday.

https://twitter.com/#!/laGretaB/status/158187836175167488

RWA380

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:22 am

Quoting virgin747 (Reply 36):
I'm one of those people. Theres the direct service to MNL from YVR with PAL.... However I prefer the one extra stop with CX in HKG.

You are not alone, many of my Philippino customers, and we had many, as the owner was Philippino and had connections to the community and lived in Daly City, would always ask how much is PR, then if NW, CX had a fare at 50 bucks difference, they would take the stop. My boss would use UA n/s to HKG, as he always got 1K status each year, then connect to PR or CX onwards. I guess PR offered some special intra-Asian bulk fares for sale in the USA via consolidators.

Everyone said PR was awful, and the uncertainty of the HNL or GUM stop made the trip too long for being in the same seat with no option to deplane in HNL or GUM to stretch your legs even.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:48 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
I think PAL will have enough MNL-JFK traffic so they won't worry too much about local passengers between YVR to JFK!

If through pax make it full YVR-JFK, then it would be full MNL-YVR, so they would need just a tech stop - no customs, etc.

A tech stop in Sapporo Japan would be pretty close to the Great Circle route and it shows 4 10,000 ft runways and one has a lot more concrete on one end that maybe could be stressed for takeoff..
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

Akiestar

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 am

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 41):
A tech stop in Sapporo Japan would be pretty close to the Great Circle route and it shows 4 10,000 ft runways and one has a lot more concrete on one end that maybe could be stressed for takeoff..

PR could actually use more Japanese destinations: the DOT has been focusing more on Northeast Asia in its tourism push. On local forums though, some are also saying that NGO might be a good candidate for a stop to MNL from JFK/EWR.

YVRSpeedBird

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 am

I would imagine that pax headed for other domestic destinations in the Philippines would prefer to take PR over CX/NW/KE/OZ/JL/etc, because of their baggage check-through service and same terminal transfer in Manila. PR's transpacific flights (except HNL) arrive early in the morning and offer connections to practically all parts of the country. The $50-$100 premium charged by PR is negated by not having to spend the night in a hotel room. I always buy my ticket from Filipino agencies in YVR every time I visit the Philippines and that's how I see it speaking to other pax or the TA.

But I suppose if the savings on other airlines are substantial, then pax probably wouldn't mind taking their daytime flights arriving MNL close to midnight, take the transfer shuttle to T2 or T3 and take PR, 2P or 5J flights that depart as early as 4AM. Practically all airlines in the Philippines start their domestic runs at that ungodly hour!

Akiestar

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm

So apparently, we have all this hype...over a promo. And I thought they were really starting MNL-NYC!   

http://www.philippineairlines.com/sp...atest_offers/love_raffle_promo.jsp

Despite this, though, it was noted in local forums that SAN, ORD and NYC were in PAL's North America expansion plans prior to the imposition of Cat II in 2008. So I would believe there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

[Edited 2012-01-16 10:55:06]