tan1mill
Topic Author

SLC To Get Brand New Terminal

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 am

Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker announced today during his State of the City address that the Salt Lake airport will be demolished and a brand new one will be built. The project has a price tag of $1.8 billion.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-ma...y-address-20120117,0,3991213.story
Love many, Trust few, Always paddle your own canoe.

CIDFlyer

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 am

is it a brand new entire airport, or just a new terminal? The article is kind of vague. Sounds like just a new terminal. Either way congrats to SLC, have never been through there but being a major hub for a strong airline (DL) and hearing stories of how crowded and cramped it can be sounds like this has been a long time coming.

catiii

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 am

from the story:

Work is still being done on the final design. Becker says they have been looking at airports around the world, and Salt Lake City's will be unique. All of the current terminals will be combined into one to make it easier for travelers to get around. Becker says it will be a much more efficient airport and travelers should find it easier to get through security check points.

The current runways will not be affected by construction. They hope to break ground on the new airport sometime next year.

dbo861

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 2):
from the story:

Work is still being done on the final design. Becker says they have been looking at airports around the world, and Salt Lake City's will be unique. All of the current terminals will be combined into one to make it easier for travelers to get around. Becker says it will be a much more efficient airport and travelers should find it easier to get through security check points.

The current runways will not be affected by construction. They hope to break ground on the new airport sometime next year.

Yeah, it's annoying..why did he keep saying "airport" when he really meant "terminal"?

milesrich

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 am

What a waste of taxpayer money, or Delta's

tan1mill
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 am

The article says an entirely new airport will be built. $1.8 billion over 8 to 10 years would be a lot for just a terminal.

Flaps

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 am

Build it and they will leave. Money not well spent.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting tan1mill (Reply 5):
The article says an entirely new airport will be built. $1.8 billion over 8 to 10 years would be a lot for just a terminal.

$1.8B is not a lot for a terminal. Just look at the price tag for new terminals around the country...ATL's concourse F, the JFK T4 expansion, TBIT at LAX.....

I'm thinking the reporter's using "airport" and "passenger terminal" interchangeably..

[Edited 2012-01-17 19:28:30]
What gets measured gets done.

flymia

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 am

Not that much money for a whole new terminal building. Look how much MIA's new terminals cost. It was over 1.8 billion I believe.

Is SLC in bad shape? I imagine they are banking on DL satying put and expanding. I guess there aren't any alternatives for a west coast hub for DL with what SLC does for them.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Alitalia744

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 am

Wasn't this always in the plan for SLC?

Take a look at the airport masterplan:

http://www.slcairport.com/plans.asp

http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocuments/20YearMasterPlan.pdf
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

yeogeo

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 am

Construction starts in 2013, to be completed somewhere between 2021-2023.

Man, that seems like a very long time! I suppose building in phases in and around the existing terminals adds to the complexity and the time needed to complete it (not to mention the cost).

Is SLC so hemmed-in that they couldn't come up with a site on property where they could build without the challenges of working around the existing terminal? (Just curious).

yeo
One great use of words is to hide our thoughts. Voltaire

tan1mill
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:26 am

You guys are correct. In my head I was thinking of just the concourses at SLC instead of the whole terminal for some reason.

[Edited 2012-01-17 19:30:56]

deltaffindfw

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:39 am

This article from the Salt Lake Tribune doesn't sound as glamorous as the master plan photos. Looks like are ditching the ATL style layout and using the existing concourses. See the bottom of page 1.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home2/5...nal-concourse-lake.html.csp?page=1

Preliminary sketches place the new terminal west of the existing parking structure with a new concourse stretching farther west from there. The light-rail line, now under construction from downtown Salt Lake City, would extend to the new terminal, and the new parking structure would go south of the new terminal.

The city then would demolish Concourse E and build a new concourse stretching east from the new terminal with extensions connecting to concourses A, B, C and D. Ultimately crews would demolish Concourse A before completing the project in about 2022, while B, C and D would remain in service as spokes off of the new construction’s east end.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 10):
Construction starts in 2013, to be completed somewhere between 2021-2023.

Man, that seems like a very long time! I suppose building in phases in and around the existing terminals adds to the complexity and the time needed to complete it (not to mention the cost).

Is SLC so hemmed-in that they couldn't come up with a site on property where they could build without the challenges of working around the existing terminal? (Just curious).

yeo

Just take a look at some aerial views. The property itself is quite massive but to simply place the new terminal in an new location would require A LOT of rework with the current infrastructure currently in place. Basically, the new landside terminal will be built directly over the current terminal and 5 concourse footprint. Parking and the the airport access and exit will remain the same from hywy 80. the second "terminal/concourse" will be directly north of the landside terminal. Kind of where taxiway echo is. There are also adding 2 new runways. One west of the current 34L and one directly over the current 35 (realigning to run exactly parallel with the other main runways). Also extending 34R.

The new main terminal will have 31 mainline gates and the north concourse will have 15 mainline gates and 44 RJ gates. There's also extensive rework of the west GA area.

BD338

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 12):

The city then would demolish Concourse E and build a new concourse stretching east from the new terminal with extensions connecting to concourses A, B, C and D. Ultimately crews would demolish Concourse A before completing the project in about 2022, while B, C and D would remain in service as spokes off of the new construction’s east end.

which would fail to solve one of the biggest inefficiencies in the current layout. The alleys get backed up during busy periods. Looks like the single storey section of B would go. The West concourse looks like it would replace E and East concourse would replace A and add a few gates. Hope B,C & D get an overhaul, they're looking dated. $1.8Bn for a fancy main terminal and to replace the RJ 'bus stop' terminal? I can believe 2022 finish if they use the same contractors currently remodeling the shops and restaurants...taken months so far and most are still closed.

LambertMan

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 am

I work in public finance consulting for a living and I must say -- this is an awful idea.

The whole point of building a new terminal and/or new airport should be to maximize your economic possibilities and realities. And, I'm not sure if Salt Lake brass didn't notice, but the region is essentially at its apex in terms of air service and the possibilities for future air service. A new terminal won't do anything other than add a little civic pride, perhaps raise the profile of the City to a small degree, and, most importantly, tack on a huge debt service number onto the airport's ledger.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 am

Quoting Lambertman (Reply 15):
I work in public finance consulting for a living and I must say -- this is an awful idea.

The whole point of building a new terminal and/or new airport should be to maximize your economic possibilities and realities. And, I'm not sure if Salt Lake brass didn't notice, but the region is essentially at its apex in terms of air service and the possibilities for future air service. A new terminal won't do anything other than add a little civic pride, perhaps raise the profile of the City to a small degree, and, most importantly, tack on a huge debt service number onto the airport's ledger.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

So tell me this. At what point do you decide your facilities are aging and need to be replaced?? This is a TEN YEAR project. It has to start at some point. Or you can take the road of JFK, LGA, and EWR....oh boy we sure do hear all the complaints every single day on this site...

So let's just SAY, they wait another oh, 10 or 15 years, that puts them out well into 2040.

SuperDash

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 am

Colossal waste of money!

First off, SLC is not the most sexy terminal in the world. But it is HUGELY functional. Even a walk from B to E is not the heart attack run that you get in Minneapolis or Atlanta.

Second, SLC might want to wait to see what happens with AA. IF DL were to get AA, SLC will likely be reduced.

Best thing SLC can spend its money on- better restaurants. The terminal is great. Adding TRAX is good and having rental cars located not only in the same State (reference Vegas, Phoenix, Denver and soon, Seattle) but hey, just across the street from the bag claim is AMAZING!

Bottom line .... Don't screw up SLC! It's a great airport...keep it so...keep it's costs low!

mayor

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:31 am

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 10):
Is SLC so hemmed-in that they couldn't come up with a site on property where they could build without the challenges of working around the existing terminal?

Well, yeah......it's hemmed in on both sides by the runways, on the north by the hangars and DL's res building and on the south by all the landside structures. Is it really needed? Last time the city wanted to build a new terminal (using the ATL type layout) DL said no, they weren't going to put up that kind of money and when you don't have numero uno on board, it doesn't get done. Concourse D was built in '83-'84 and E after that. Without actually building a new terminal over the footprint of the current one, I can't imagine where else they could put an entirely new structure.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

southloopswa

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:36 am

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ke-City-International-Airport.html

The Deseret News says that one of the big reasons is for seismic reasons. Some of the current facilities are 50 years old and not up to code. SLC is along the Wasatch Fault that is expected to produce a 7.0 earthquake at some point.

SANFan

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 am

I agree about the price tag of $1.8B; sounds very low to me. And the length of the rebuilding time-frame seems very long.

I know... maybe the state of Utah will be using local volunteer labor for the job!

bb

mayor

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 am

Quoting SuperDash (Reply 17):
Best thing SLC can spend its money on- better restaurants.

I worked there from 1982 until 2005 and the restaurants that are there, now, are a vast improvement over what has been there in the past. Before, there may have been 1-2 sitdown restaurants in the whole terminal and those, IIRC, were in terminal one. There are many, many more eating choice there now than there ever were before.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PanAm788

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 am

I think we need to learn more before we jump to conclusions. I fly to SLC often, and to me it seems like a perfectly fine airport. That being said, if the airport isn't up to code and needs to be replaced, they might as well tackle the problem sooner rather than later. Too often we Americans wait until the last minute on these things and the solution ultimately comes in late and overpriced to the annoyance of everyone (prime example here in MSP is the Metrodome replacement debacle). If DL is on board with this and the money is in place, I see this as a positive for SLC, but DL being ok with this is pretty important.
You know nothing Jon Snow

timpdx

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 am

I fly there a bunch and the rental car situation is to die for, oh, man, wish there otherr airports could take the cue of SLC. That said, there are big time problems with security lines there I would say among the worst waits I have had at an airport of its size. Restaurants need improvement. Sure. Other than that, I say refresh the terminals, connect light rail and call it good, keeping the taxes and fees down. Please don't mess with the awesome rental car counters, please?

calpsafltskeds

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 am

It looks like a mini-ATL.
The problem will be the construction process. It looks like the new terminal and gates will be right where the current ones are now. How do you transition without massive closures, openings, etc. during the process. The entire terminal and gates looks like a 10 year nightmare of "construction season".
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

NASCARAirforce

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 am

Not really, DTW's McNamara Terminal was $2 bil, MIA terminal projects were around $5 bil

1.8 bil would be very cheap for a whole new airport - a new runway is going to cost about $1 bil a piece these days, and I am sure SLC would get more just 1.

Pellegrine

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 am

A brand new SLC airport would cost far more than $18 billion dollars let alone $1.8B. LOL a runway costs $1.8B. Hilarious. A new terminal I could believe for $1.8B. But an airport?

I am rolling on the floor. A new SLC would be in the $30-45 billion dollar range.
oh boy, here we go!!!

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting PanAm788 (Reply 22):
I think we need to learn more before we jump to conclusions. I fly to SLC often, and to me it seems like a perfectly fine airport. That being said, if the airport isn't up to code and needs to be replaced, they might as well tackle the problem sooner rather than later. Too often we Americans wait until the last minute on these things and the solution ultimately comes in late and overpriced to the annoyance of everyone (prime example here in MSP is the Metrodome replacement debacle). If DL is on board with this and the money is in place, I see this as a positive for SLC, but DL being ok with this is pretty important.

Exactly my point...and the reason why America's infrastructure system is crumbling before us today...

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 25):
Not really, DTW's McNamara Terminal was $2 bil, MIA terminal projects were around $5 bil

1.8 bil would be very cheap for a whole new airport - a new runway is going to cost about $1 bil a piece these days, and I am sure SLC would get more just 1.

DTW McNamera terminal was $1 Bil in late 90's/early 2000's, in 2011 it would easily cost $3 Bil+. Construction costs have skyrocketed over the past decade, primarily driven by material costs. Labor is more expensive too.

$1.8 Bil seems like a pretty good deal to rebuild the airside facilities at SLC. Fundamentally, it is a good airport today. However, I agree the check-in area, security check-points, and Concourse E really are the areas that need to be most improved.

Ultimately this project will sink or swim because of what DL wants. It is a risk that it could increase costs and could drive DL to change their operations. DL will get their say in the matter, and maybe (hopefully) already has been consulted on the matter.

The one challenge would be is to not make some infrastructure limited only for RJs. Looking at the market trends over the next decade, it would be advantagous to make the gates flexible. Look at airports that designed facilities specifically for turboprops in the late 90s....

Another key element of a good design is to build in phases and allow for expansion. "Build it and they will come" does not apply for terminal construction. Airports that have allowed for easy expansion when additional capacity is warrented have better costs than building some huge monument from the beginning.

thrufru

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Delta's terminal alone in BOS (built 10 yrs ago) was reported to exceed $1Bn. I bet the final price will be a heck of a lot more than $1.8Bn.

yeogeo

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 24):
It looks like a mini-ATL.

I think some people may be looking at the (apparently out of date) previous master plans for SLC such as those linked at post 9 by alitalia744, which do resemble ATL.

It may be worthwhile to take another look at the link that deltaffindfw posted in reply 12.

edit: Here's the direct link:

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/...FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

yeo

[Edited 2012-01-18 05:54:22]

[Edited 2012-01-18 05:56:00]
One great use of words is to hide our thoughts. Voltaire

calpsafltskeds

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 30):
I think some people may be looking at the (apparently out of date) previous master plans for SLC such as those linked at post 9 by alitalia744, which do resemble ATL.

Thanks for the update. I guess looking at the official SLC airport website isn't good enough for up to date information.

I don't get it. $1.8 billion for fewer gates.
The close in gates on the southside of each terminal will require long taxi times.
The 400' plus walk from the terminal to the first concourse gates seems weird.
The worst appears to be three gates inside the "V" of the concourses will be fun for the rampers to push and for pilots to navigate other aircraft on the concourse.
But, of course the train is probably driving this thing - to get federal funding and serve a small fraction of the users.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

mayor

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 31):
But, of course the train is probably driving this thing - to get federal funding and serve a small fraction of the users.

I don't think so.......the plans and construction of the light rail were going ahead, no matter what the terminal was.....matter of fact, the line to downtown is almost done, I believe. They'll have to modify it to adapt to this new terminal.

RL757PVD

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 pm

What theu are doing is essentially getting whats necessary while at the same time, setting the stage for the grander plan (older ATL style plan) later. This is a good way to keep costs manageable for Delta.

It would be stupid to think that Delta is not heavily involved in that is being proposed for SLC and what the cost implocations are.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Pellegrine

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

It may be worthwhile to take another look at the link that deltaffindfw posted in reply 12.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/...FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

yeo

Thanks for the clarification. Still.

LOL @ the mayor and his braggadocio. Politicians never change.

That is a LOT of construction and demolition for $1.8 billion. Add to it that this is occurring at an airport...the cost goes up. This is more of a $5B+ project.
oh boy, here we go!!!

FlyPNS1

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 34):
That is a LOT of construction and demolition for $1.8 billion. Add to it that this is occurring at an airport...the cost goes up. This is more of a $5B+ project.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if they did all this for 1.8B...especially with the project spread over ten years, the costs in the out-years will be so hard to predict and will likely escalate.

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 33):
It would be stupid to think that Delta is not heavily involved in that is being proposed for SLC and what the cost implocations are.

And I'm sure DL would probably be ok if this only cost 1.8B. But what will DL's reaction be when it costs 3-5 Billion??

rampart

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 35):
And I'm sure DL would probably be ok if this only cost 1.8B. But what will DL's reaction be when it costs 3-5 Billion??

DL is finding themselves amidst several airport expansions or reconstructions. SLC. JFK. LGA. Isn't MSP also going to have a large renovation?

-Rampart

mayor

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Quoting rl757pvd (Reply 33):

Of course......several years ago, DL put the kibosh on the plans for the ATL style terminal because it was too expensive and saw no reason for it, at that time.

OA412
Crew

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 8):
Is SLC in bad shape? I imagine they are banking on DL satying put and expanding. I guess there aren't any alternatives for a west coast hub for DL with what SLC does for them.

No. The airport isn't the most glamorous out there, but it's certainly clean and extremely efficient. However, given its layout, it is less efficient than airports such as ATL or DEN which have several long parallel concourses. Nevertheless, it is still very easy to navigate.

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 9):
Wasn't this always in the plan for SLC?

Yes, although the overall plan seems to have changed a bit.

Quoting milesrich (Reply 4):

What exactly do you base this on?

Quoting Flaps (Reply 6):
Build it and they will leave. Money not well spent.

Again, what is this based on?

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 12):
This article from the Salt Lake Tribune doesn't sound as glamorous as the master plan photos. Looks like are ditching the ATL style layout and using the existing concourses. See the bottom of page 1.

Not exactly. They're going with a hybrid version. They have a long concourse, but will retain concourses B, C, and D. A and E will be demolished to make room for the new concourse. The replacement of E will certainly be an improvement since it appears that RJ's will park at gates now.

Quoting mayor (Reply 21):
Quoting SuperDash (Reply 17):
Best thing SLC can spend its money on- better restaurants.

I worked there from 1982 until 2005 and the restaurants that are there, now, are a vast improvement over what has been there in the past.

In addition to what Mayor said, they are also bringing in a number of new restaurants in the next year or so, both chains and local. The dining experience at SLC is much better than it used to be.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

airbazar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Where?   PEK T3 cost $4.6 billion. LHR T5 alone cost over over $6 billion.
DL's terminal A at BOS which is tiny by comparison, cost $400 million and it took 4 years to build.

canadianpylon

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 35):

The new Winnipeg (YWG) Terminal which opened in October this past year cost $585 million for 11 gates. At 74 gates, a fair estimate for SLC could be ~$4 billion.

I wonder how they are going to pull off $1.8B?
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

1337Delta764

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

The big question is: Will an automated people mover be included in the plans? WIth a redevelopment like this, it would make sense to add one, as most hub airports already have them.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

gcb5196

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I agree with OA412, it looks like a hybrid version. What we may see is when the need or want arrives for the next parallel concourse, they will build it and tear down the old D,C, and what's left of B.

gcb5196

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm

I just read a news report and if it is to be trusted, Delta and other airlines are offering to help fund the rebuild. Sounds like Delta may be in on this.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=1891...irport-to-be-bulldozed-and-rebuilt

tan1mill
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 39):
Where? PEK T3 cost $4.6 billion. LHR T5 alone cost over over $6 billion.
DL's terminal A at BOS which is tiny by comparison, cost $400 million and it took 4 years to build.

When I made that post I was imagining in my head $1.8 billion for just one of the concourses at SLC for some reason, which is why I thought it was a lot. Now that I'm seeing exactly what is proposed 1.8 billion seems like a small figure to me. While I don't like construction, I usually like what I see after it's done. I wonder if traffic out of Provo will increase due to people trying to avoid construction at SLC. Thoughts anyone?

Zkpilot

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

SLC is quite a nice airport but I can see with growth it will become less user friendly. Seems a lot of money to spend (most airports would redevelop half now then the rest in the future), however if it can all be done then it is a better solution and avoids problems associated with piecemeal development.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

DLSLC

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 pm

I haven't seen this link posted yet. It is a slideshow of the phases of the airport and the plan of construction, and then finally the finished product.
http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocuments/TRP-1-17-12.pdf

[Edited 2012-01-18 15:10:04]

panam330

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 41):

The big question is: Will an automated people mover be included in the plans? WIth a redevelopment like this, it would make sense to add one, as most hub airports already have them.

Every seat will have Panasonic monitors, new overhead bins and new LED lighting, too.  

Hardly a concern. Moving sidewalks will do the job. Good to see redevelopment at SLC finally taking shape and getting started.

JaxMan19

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 am

JAX completly redid their whole airport including 20 new gates at a cost of $175 million...

brilondon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting milesrich (Reply 4):

Yes and no. They will probably have a PFC added on to the fares of the flights in and out SLC.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!