BW424
Topic Author

Rediscover Paradise - Caribbean Aviation Thread 94

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Warm Caribbean Greetings to all!

Welcome to the 94th instalment of the Caribbean Aviation Thread, also the first Caribbean Thread of the new year.This instalment is dedicated to resilient island of Montserrat, from which our newest regular contributer (817Dreamliner) originates.

Montserrat was sighted by Christopher Columbus during his second voyage in November 1493. He named it Santa Maria de Montserrate after the Abbey of Montserrate near Barcelona. In 1632, the island became a British colony although the first settlers were largely Irish. More Irish settlers followed, driven out of Virginia in an anti-Catholic purge.

Montserrat is an internally self-governing UK overseas territory. Government is executed through a governor appointed by the British monarch, an executive council, which has the general control and direction of government, and a legislative council. The governor retains responsibility for external affairs, defence, internal security, the public service (as head of the civil service) and offshore finance.

The executive council is presided over by the governor and also includes the chief minister, the financial secretary, the attorney-general and three other ministers. The legislative council has nine directly elected members and two official members. Elections are held at least every five years.

In 1989, the constitution, formerly comprising various bills and acts, was consolidated into one document and came into force on 13 February 1990. (www.thecommonwealth.org)

In the 1980s, the main economic activities were agriculture and tourism (especially luxury villa holidays) and light engineering. Hurricane Hugo destroyed 90% of infrastructure in September 1989, severely damaging the tourism and agriculture sectors.

Montserrat once again suffered another major setback when volcanic activity began in 1995. Montserrat’s economy and infrastructure have been rebuilt and continues reconstruction in the 2000s, including a new airport (John A. Osborne Airport opened in 2005) and ferry port.

FlyMontserrat Airways was began operations in 2009 with service to ANU. In April of 2011, FlyMontserrat carried it's 10 000th passenger. The airline currently operates a fleet of three Britten Norman BN-2A Islanders.

******NEWS FEED******
Topic Air of Belize to start BZE-LCE 2x weekly starting March 4.
AC commences service to SKB with A319 from YYZ 1x weekly.
CAL looking at flights to DEL with extensive AI partnership.
UVF experiences fuel shortage causing some flights to divert to BGI
CAL to begin daily POS-BGI-SLU service on Jan. 24 with ATR.
AC looking at nonstop flight with A319 from YYZ to GEO.
SY to begin daily PBM-GEO-MIA with B733 in April.
EZjet of Guyana commences services with B762 from JFK to GEO.
Fly Jamacia poised to commence service from JFK and YYZ to KIN and GEO with N-registered B752.
CAL to wet-lease Atlas Air 744 "Soca Jumbo Jet" for Carnival season. To operate POS-JFK as BW 500/501
CUR unfortunately downgraded to CAT 2 rating by US authorities.
Redjet rumoured to be experiencing financial difficulties, blames BGI authorities for its woes.
Redjet drastically reduces frequencies on is POS,GEO and KIN routes.
Two wet-leased Swiftair ATR-72-500s operating for BW return to MAD.
CM to begin PTY-CUR service 4x weekly (3x E190 and 1X 73G) on June 10.
DE to commence 1x weekly VIE-VRA service with B763W Nov. 6.

Happy Posting!

It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

817Dreamliiner

RE: Rediscover Paradise - Caribbean Aviation Thread 94

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm

O wow! Im kinda shocked you dedicated the the thread to Montserrat  Wow!, wasnt expecting it at all   , Great getting the first thread of the year up! I have to say, its been an honor posting here in this thread 

[Edited 2012-01-18 13:02:54]
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

andrefranca

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 pm

my dream is to visit montserrat this year!

I'm so glad CM is starting CUR, I could see that comin' 

yellowtail

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 2):
I'm so glad CM is starting CUR, I could see that comin' 

And by the service days, CM clearly see this as a business route as well. Not just leisure.

Guess they are testing out a schedule for when they announce BZE 
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 2):

I encourage you to go! Im sure you will enjoy it, congrats on your 100th post btw
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

caribbean484

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Quoting BW424 reply=0][/quote]

Thanks for getting the new thread up and running.

[quote=andrefranca
(Reply 2):

I would like to take a trip there too.

St. Lucia and Dominica to invest in LIAT
They are finally putting their money where their mouth is where LI is concerned.
http://www.caricomnewsnetwork.com/in...n-liat&catid=38:tourism&Itemid=396
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

without prejudice to my friends in the e. caribbean......so two Belize resorts make the top three in the world! and 11 in the top 25 in Central America.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cTop25-g1

baje427

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am

Six days to CAL beginning SLU from BGI looking forward to seeing the ATR I am wondering would it not have made more sense to schedule the 767 arrival to coincide with the Carnival season?

LimaFoxTango

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting baje427 (Reply 7):
Six days to CAL beginning SLU from BGI looking forward to seeing the ATR I am wondering would it not have made more sense to schedule the 767 arrival to coincide with the Carnival season?

Six days away and flights not yet bookable on their site? Something not right here.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

beeweel15

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:24 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 5):
St. Lucia and Dominica to invest in LIAT
They are finally putting their money where their mouth is where LI is concerned.
http://www.caricomnewsnetwork.com/in...n-liat&catid=38:tourism&Itemid=396

Would LIAT ever allow private investors.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 am

This pic made me remember, I never saw BA when I was in ANU on the 5th, heading back here to MAN, from the pic I can now see why:

Quote:
Emergency landing!! "Speedbird 17PA" a flight from London Gatwick (EGKK) to St. John's - V.C. Bird Int. (TAPA) in Antigua and Barbuda, had to divert to Lajes due to 23 years old, USA citizen passenger who was under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs and was acting with violence onboard this aircraft.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Leandro Rocha - AzoresAirPhotos

A388

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for starting the thread BW424, too bad you didn't mention the good things happening at the airport in CUR:

The airport operator has started work on the foundations to build two more passenger loading bridges to cope with increasing traffic. When this is completed our airport will have increased the passenger loading bridge capacity from 3 to 5 bridges. Local airlines Insel Air and Dutch Antilles keep expanding which results in increased peak hours at the airport and the necessity for more bridges to handle all flights. Last year two brandnew airport busses were put into service to handle the commuture flights and other flights handled at remote parking positions.

It is good CM will finally start flying to Curacao. Now I'm waiting on Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica!!!

A388

yellowtail

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 11):
Now I'm waiting on Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica!!!

Methinks you won't get both 

LimaFoxTango

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 9):
Would LIAT ever allow private investors.

Contrary to popular belief, about 10% or so of LIAT is actually already owned by other regional governments and private entities. See the entire list at: http://www.liatairline.com/navSource.html?page_id=80

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Good for Kòrsao and CM.
Hope BZE, GCM, SCU, BGI, GEO and PBM make it into CM network soon. Some sooner than others..
Given CM @ NAS performance and GCM rumours, could PTY-BDA twice weekly work?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 12):
Methinks you won't get both

If they do a POS-CUR-KIN routing than we will not get both no. If they operate separately, we will. On the other hand Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica have switched 737 equipment regularly so who knows. Like Forest Gump said: "Life is like a box of chocolades, you never know what you're gonna get"... 

A388

andrefranca

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 11):
Now I'm waiting on Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica!!!

IMHO POS-CUR is more likely... but not this year!

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 14):
could PTY-BDA twice weekly work?

There are a few problems with BDA, it's a much expensiver islands, even more than Bahamas or Grand cayman, they don't have cars to rent which make things hard when you want some freedom to get around! BDA would be a "deluxe" destination, I think it would be too risky to CM !

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 16):
There are a few problems with BDA, it's a much expensiver islands, even more than Bahamas or Grand cayman, they don't have cars to rent which make things hard when you want some freedom to get around! BDA would be a "deluxe" destination, I think it would be too risky to CM !

I was talking more of the need - if any - ot the travellers between BDA and Latinamerica/Caribbean to avoid connecting in the U.S. Something like PTY-BDA evenings and BDA-PTY mornings so to offer immediate connections to/from specially POS/KIN/MBJ..
Also ff BDA is big on off-shore banking and off-shore companies, then there might be a small demand for a link between BDA and PTY.
Not to forget, that since BDA is so expensive, with a PTY flight, Bermudians could come to PTY to do shopping.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 16):
IMHO POS-CUR is more likely... but not this year!

I actually see KIN-CUR happening before POS-CUR. Hopefully this year...

A388

guyanam

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 5):

Yes, I did forget that there was a change of govt in SLU. LIAT hating Chastanet isnt there anymore.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 6):

As a Caribbean South America we consider you to be a Caribbean Central American. As soon as a Belizean opens his mouth that creole dialect marks you as being one of us...not one of them....ElSalvador, Guatemala, etc. And ditto with that punta rock.

b757lvr

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 am

St.Lucia's new Minister of Tourism has indicated that he has serious doubts about the benefit of the the subsidy agreement between American Airlines and the government. He is quoted in the following article expressing his concerns about the benefit of the agreement given AA's downsizing of the SJU hub. This is not the first time this subsidy issue has come up and I think AA has dropped some destinations including UVF in the past because an agreement could not be reached. What do you guys think about this?

http://stluciastar.com/content/news/...nes-st-lucia-deal-cannot-continue/

caribbean484

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting b757lvr (Reply 20):

Its a very good discussion and its a pity that there is never a properly done case study on the subsidies the countries give to foreign Carriers and what is the entire cost benefit.
In the case of AA, they have indeed reduced SJU significantly in favor of building MIA, and as a result of that they dropped or reduced a number of flights to the islands from SJU.

I believe in 1999 AA dropped ANU, UVF and GND because they all decided not to give subsidies to the airline, and of course they are now doing so once again. If the SJU-SLU flights are of low loads then stop providing finances for the flights.

I am against direct subsidies to foreign carriers.
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:05 am

Quoting b757lvr (Reply 20):

In this case, it seems that a rational discussion is taking place and I think the Government of St. Lucia is correct, especially given AA continued commitment to its "Corner Stone Strategy" which excludes the SJU. The money going to the SJU subsidy could be diverted to new markets or even add new airlift. However this issue is not a new one as the current government always had a problem with Chastanet and his handling of the tourism industry particularly the case of airlift.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 21):

I think it is a mistake to make a general statement that a proper case study is not done when it comes to foreign airlift. One must remember how politicians have a way of mucking things up (I am pretty sure we could generate a 300+ thread dedicated on such a topic). In the case of St. Lucia this has been an on going issue. Please see the following link http://www.voteslp.com/node/630

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 22):

That entire article would have been funny if it was not so serious, but they also have to take into account Eagle's SLU-BGI flights that last two months and was costing the people of St Lucia lots of money with flights leaving empty.

The WS situation was what got me, that no one knew how much the subsidies was going to cost and after 4 months a bill of US$3m with high loads?

We all know Chastanet and as this:

Quoting guyanam (Reply 19):
Yes, I did forget that there was a change of govt in SLU. LIAT hating Chastanet isnt there anymore.

How can we forget EC Express and the cost it bore to JM by having its base in SLU, competing with LI. We can also never forget how he was in a fight with the PM of another country, something that I cannot recall has ever seen: a minister of cabinet fight with a PM of another country.
Hopefully now the Government takes a critical look at all of this.
All ah we is one family

A388

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 23):
The WS situation was what got me, that no one knew how much the subsidies was going to cost and after 4 months a bill of US$3m with high loads?

How come the bill was so high while the loads were high too? Do you have links to this story?

A388

[Edited 2012-01-20 05:29:54]

guyanam

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 24):

Chastanet signed a note without reading it and WS went laughing to the bank. Silly Third Worl People they probably said.

I think Mrs Chastanet liked to go shopping in SJU and so her husband accommodated her. There was absolutely no need for this additional service once we consider that SJU is a ghost town these days. Aside from flights to MIA and JFK (UVF has access to both cities) there are very few other flights, not sufficient to justify significant AE capacity.

I think that SKB/NEV negotiated a similar deal (another bankrupt island nation) with AE. Thankfully for Nevis AE stopped flying there as the loads were maybe 15 pax a pop.

These islands need to assess whether improved promotion is a better use of funds then subsidies, as if the loads are low due to inadequate promotion/product development its a huge waste. No point having seats if there are no bottoms to fill them.

andrefranca

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 17):

if we put that way ... maybe.

Quoting A388 (Reply 18):
I actually see KIN-CUR happening before POS-CUR.

I flew CUR-MBJ in 2009 with the old JM, it was VERY cheap, 100 usd one way... but with CAL's Board, I don't really know what to expect!

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 23):
That entire article would have been funny if it was not so serious, but they also have to take into account Eagle's SLU-BGI flights that last two months and was costing the people of St Lucia lots of money with flights leaving empty.

And I wouldn't be surprised if someone tells me half of this half empty flight was sent back by bajan immigration officials as they also see St. Lúcia as "another poor little neighbour of ours".... (LOL).

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Press Release – FAA Announces Safety Ratings for Curaçao, Sint Maarten

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=13313

whats going on here?? first BGI and CUR, now SXM?

A388

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 27):
whats going on here?? first BGI and CUR, now SXM?

That indeed is very unfortunate. In the case of CUR (and I think SXM too), we have become a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 2010. Because of this, the FAA inspected the Civil Aviation Authority again which eventually led to this downgrading. The Civil Aviation Authority here in CUR is working hard to get CUR back to category 1 status but this will take time. As SXM also became a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 2010 I guess they have been downgraded for similar reasons.

I hope we will get the category 1 status soon again.

A388

andrefranca

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 28):

Sad news indeed! could this be a kind of "lost of trust?" and what about Bonaire?

ik weet niet, jammer!

A388

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 29):
"lost of trust?"

I'm not following you on this(?)

A388

trintocan

Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 29):

Sad news indeed! could this be a kind of "lost of trust?" and what about Bonaire?

Bonaire is now fully part of The Netherlands and would be under the Dutch administrators for civil aviation. One wonders though, since Curacao and St. Maarten are still so closely associated with The Netherlands overall, couldn't they collaborate with the Dutch authorities to ensure that they adhered to the standards at all times? It is a shame to hear that they have been downgraded, I hope they get back up soon!

Its a very good discussion and its a pity that there is never a properly done case study on the subsidies the countries give to foreign Carriers and what is the entire cost benefit.

While it is likely that studies are done prior to issuing subsidies to airlines, I will agree that the issue as a whole could do with some serious scrutiny, something that is unlikely given the confidentiality clauses and the like written into these agreements. The point is, many Caribbean islands are paying millions of dollars to various airlines to serve them. Do these routes sustainably bring revenue to the nations or not? In particular, if the airlines then demand higher guarantees to maintain service, is that a sign of market weakness or the airlines playing hardball with seemingly vunerable small nations to hedge problems elsewhere in their networks or companies? A detailed study into this matter would be very welcome - and may well open a few eyes.

I am against direct subsidies to foreign carriers.

While in some instances support to foreign carriers is necessary, anybody who remembers old BW's travails over the years would have loads of sympathy with you on this one. For many years BW and T&T's Government begged and pleaded with other Caribbean nations to support the airline, an especially relevant matter given how many regional and regional - to - international services BW flew back then (something Caribbean Airlines have done away with). Alas, such support was not forthcoming and instead foreign carriers were handed big bucks to fly these routes. Overall this comes back to the issue of a harmonised approach to air services in the region - something which is sorely needed for so many reasons but never gets anywhere.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Quoting trintocan (Reply 31):
One wonders though, since Curacao and St. Maarten are still so closely associated with The Netherlands overall, couldn't they collaborate with the Dutch authorities to ensure that they adhered to the standards at all times? It is a shame to hear that they have been downgraded, I hope they get back up soon!

The Netherlands is helping Curacao and St. Maarten to get back to category 1. Below article mentions this but it is in Dutch:

http://www.rnw.nl/caribiana/article/...htvaart-cura%C3%A7ao-schiet-tekort

A388

817Dreamliiner

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 32):
The Netherlands is helping Curacao and St. Maarten to get back to category 1. Below article mentions this but it is in Dutch:

http://www.rnw.nl/caribiana/article/...htvaart-cura%C3%A7ao-schiet-tekort

A388

Good that they are getting help from the Netherlands, lets hope they get their CAT 1 rating as soon as possible.

andrefranca

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 30):

I meant it is strange, cause "just" because now they have more freedom (or are supposed to) the FAA goes there and downgrade them.... if they didn't they'd still be cat1?

I do find CUR and SXM much safer and better organized than many Brazilian airports with direct US service.... I'm glad Nederland is helping them out!

baje427

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:10 am

Does anyone know why Jordan Aviation A310's have become regulars at BGI a nice change from the usual but I'm curious what they are doing. In addition, has WS changed their schedule into BGI again? or was this an additional flight.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA4513

A388

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 34):
I meant it is strange, cause "just" because now they have more freedom (or are supposed to) the FAA goes there and downgrade them.... if they didn't they'd still be cat1?

This is normal practice for the FAA when a new country rises of which the local airlines fly to U.S. territory. This has nothing to do with the local airlines being unsafe but the local civil aviation authority needing to have everything in place before category 1 status can be achieved again. Nothing strange here.

A388

windian425

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:11 pm

We should be seeing Jordan Aviation A310 quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Westjet had and aircraft AOG yesterday. No schedule change until Summer 2012 when the plan to revert to afternoon turnarounds.

andrefranca

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 36):
This is normal practice for the FAA when a new country rises

Are they new countries or just received an "upgrade" from mother Nederland?

trintocan

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 38):

To drift slightly from aviation to describe what happened here - in the past The Netherlands Antilles was an entity in free association with The Netherlands proper. The Netherlands Antilles comprised Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Maarten, St. Barts and Saba. The entity was largely self-governing but relied on The Netherlands for defence and certain external matters. In many matters The Netherlands Antilles set their own rules, for instance their visa policies were different from those of The Netherlands (which of course became subsumed into Schengen).

Aruba left The Netherlands Antilles in 1986 and became a country in its own right while remaining in association with Amsterdam, thus effectively having an individual status equivalent to that of the collective of the remaining 5 islands. What has now happened is that Curacao and St. Maarten have left The Netherlands Antilles and have individual statuses similar to Aruba, namely as associated countries. Hence The Netherlands now comprises 4 countries. The remaining islands have become fully parts of The Netherlands in a manner similar to how Martinique. Guadeloupe and Guyane are fully parts of France. Aruba has had a civil aviation regulator since it left the Antilles; now Curacao and St. Maarten have their own too.

As for how the FAA decides on how to award gradings on new entities, I really do not know.

To return to aviation, when did LI return to CIV (Canouan)? Was this route then really as unprofitable as was said last July when it was pulled?

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting trintocan (Reply 39):
Quoting andrefranca (Reply 38):

To drift slightly from aviation to describe what happened here - in the past The Netherlands Antilles was an entity in free association with The Netherlands proper. The Netherlands Antilles comprised Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Maarten, St. Barts and Saba. The entity was largely self-governing but relied on The Netherlands for defence and certain external matters. In many matters The Netherlands Antilles set their own rules, for instance their visa policies were different from those of The Netherlands (which of course became subsumed into Schengen).

Aruba left The Netherlands Antilles in 1986 and became a country in its own right while remaining in association with Amsterdam, thus effectively having an individual status equivalent to that of the collective of the remaining 5 islands. What has now happened is that Curacao and St. Maarten have left The Netherlands Antilles and have individual statuses similar to Aruba, namely as associated countries. Hence The Netherlands now comprises 4 countries. The remaining islands have become fully parts of The Netherlands in a manner similar to how Martinique. Guadeloupe and Guyane are fully parts of France. Aruba has had a civil aviation regulator since it left the Antilles; now Curacao and St. Maarten have their own too.

There you have your answer andrefranca.

As for how the FAA decides on how to award gradings on new entities, I really do not know.

You kind of answered this question too. As soon as a new "country" rises, in this case Curacao and St. Maarten changing their status within the Netherlands Kingdom, the FAA assesses that country to see if they comply with ICAO standards to have the category 1 status. Because the Netherlands Antilles no longer exists, Curacao and St. Maarten are "new" countries and need to be assessed again. At least this is how I understand it.

A388

817Dreamliiner

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 40):

Ok, I get this situation, but what about BGI?

BWIA 772

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm

LI started the service from March 9 2009, and yes it had to be unprofitable for LI to cut it.

http://www.zingmag.net/index.php/ZiN...We-want-to-fly-you-to-Canouan.html

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 41):

Regarding BGI, the island has not had CAT 1 status for some years. IIRC there needs to be improvement to the current legislation.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:46 pm

To return to aviation, when did LI return to CIV (Canouan)? Was this route then really as unprofitable as was said last July when it was pulled?
Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 42):

LI started the service from March 9 2009, and yes it had to be unprofitable for LI to cut it.

Thanks BWIA772 but what I meant is that it appears that LI is serving CIW (oops, wrong code in the earlier post) again, just a few months after pulling out. As a result I wondered what the issue is.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting trintocan (Reply 43):
Thanks BWIA772 but what I meant is that it appears that LI is serving CIW (oops, wrong code in the earlier post) again, just a few months after pulling out. As a result I wondered what the issue is.

Yes the CIW was very unprofitable at the time it was cut back in July 2011 I believe. It was restarted on December 15. I think it was restarted when some hotel there was reopened (Raffles perhaps?).

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 42):
Regarding BGI, the island has not had CAT 1 status for some years. IIRC there needs to be improvement to the current legislation.
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 41):
Ok, I get this situation, but what about BGI?

The Barbados CAA has been in shambles for years and the FAA never really bothered to assess them since they do not have such a thriving aviation industry there. It only came to light last year all because of REDjet. Now that there is an airline there to be monitered, the FAA had to step in. Before REDjet can commence any operation to the US, the Barbados must re-certify themselves. They never bothered to do it over the years because they had no reason to. I believe one of the requirements for CAT 1 is that the CAA has to show they can oversee and regulate local air carriers. See http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/iasa/definitions/ It took the ECCAA in Antigua some 5 or so years to certify themselves.

8b775zq

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 25):
I think that SKB/NEV negotiated a similar deal (another bankrupt island nation) with AE. Thankfully for Nevis AE stopped flying there as the loads were maybe 15 pax a pop.

Maybe you should do a little more research before you say anything. AE has not stop flying to NEV but has reduced flights to seasonal status Cape Air has in the meantime introduced flights to/from NEV to fill the void. SKB has negotiated no deal with AE but had a deal with AA, as for the subject of being bankrupt then I will guess that would make all of the other countries that are part of the EEC bankrupt also.

guyanam

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting trintocan (Reply 31):

With due respect to Cbn govts BWIA was not able to generate tourism inflows that carriers like AA could. Subsidizing them would have been a waste of money. Just look at SKB as an example. They used to board 10 pax, and now AA flies in with relatively high loads.

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 45):

You might need to check again. NEV was dropped last summer and its not back for this winter for AE. Ricky Skerritt announced a deal to get the evening AE flights into SKB. Maybe who ever wrote that was wrong.

I will suggest that if a country is unable to make payments on its sovereign debt it is bankrupt. SKN has to restructure its debt with a major "haircut" to bondholders. It had to tell some of its bondholders of "delays" in making interest payments. That to me is bankrupt.

GUYAIR707

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Flew BW424 operated by 9Y-KIN GEO-JFK yesterday. Flight rolled like clockwork, at 2:50 PM our scheduled ETD we began rollback at GEO. Flight was full to capacity out of POS, even though this is the so called "off season".

CAL is getting good loads. I saw REDjet and LI depart GEO as we were leaving.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 47):

What were the loads ex GEO and how many do you think got off at POS?

baje427

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 am

Does anyone know how CAL GEO-BGI is doing?