ChazPilot
Topic Author

SXM/Maho Beach Road Traffic Safety?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 am

I've never been to SMX personally, but watched a fair number of YouTube videos of landings + takeoffs. One thing I've always been curious about - that road that seperates the actual beach from the threshold of RW10, I often see vehicles driving along it right up to the moment a plane spools up and jet blasts the "fence-rodeo riders". Are cars required to stop and wait when a jet is taking off / landing for safety, i.e. like a railway Xing system? Or do cars just stop by themselves out of common sense??

Thanks...just always wanted to know that!

Goldenshield

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 am

Quoting ChazPilot (Thread starter):

I've never been to SMX personally, but watched a fair number of YouTube videos of landings + takeoffs.

I've been to Pismo beach, if that's what you mean, but that's still about 20 miles away from the airport.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

hiflyer

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

uhhhh it's SXM...grin. Tell ya one thing...if it was MY car it would sure as heck wait so to keep the blinking paint and glass good...grin!

Wonder what is the better 'ride' or 'tumble'....744 or 773.....hmmmmm    

richierich

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting ChazPilot (Thread starter):
Are cars required to stop and wait when a jet is taking off / landing for safety, i.e. like a railway Xing system? Or do cars just stop by themselves out of common sense??

First of all, my opinion is that common sense is lacking on much of the Caribbean roads judging by what I have seen! To answer your question, there are no lights at Maho Beach related to vehicles and the takeoff/landing of aircraft. There are the famous white "jetblast" signs, which are apparently directed at pedestrians and road traffic. It does have to be said that the road by the beach is not a major thoroughfare, although it can be busy with visitors and the curious, it basically serves the bar and a few dozen houses on that part of the island. It is not a through road.

None shall pass!!!!

phllax

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 pm

There is no requirement to stop but most drivers do. We were there on 12/22 and apparently a car had recently been blown on its side.

bsu747

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Would it not be simple to install a set of traffic lights that could be controlled by the control tower for incoming/departing aircraft, If the road itself is not too heavy with traffic & SXM is not the busiest airport in the world surely it would make sense to do?
Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

ChazPilot
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 am

Thanks for the responses all....and yes I do mean Princess Juliana - not Santa Monica - airport!

Goldenshield

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting ChazPilot (Reply 6):
and yes I do mean Princess Juliana - not Santa Monica - airport!

Getting warmer. It's Santa Maria, which is north of Santa Barbara.  

[Edited 2012-01-19 21:21:01]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos