flyiguy
Topic Author

Woman Carries Gun Onto Plane In DFW

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Attorney: Woman unaware of gun aboard flight

A 65-year-old woman was arrested for carrying a loaded handgun aboard a flight at DFW Texas airport on Wednesday. Her attorney says that she had forgotten that it was in her computer bag.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...of-gun-aboard-flight-27925445.html
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

tp1040

RE: Woman Carries Gun Onto Plane In DFW

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Strange, tsa detected it at screening, yet she walked away and boarded the plane????

AviRaider

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Yea saw this on the news here in the DFW area, apparently TSA was aware of it but was delayed in stopping her. They didn't even know what she looked like until they reviewed the CCTV footage and then using a print-out of her picture went around asking people if they've seen her. Her flight was already taxiing when the pilot was told to return to the gate. Funny thing is, if her flight hadn't been delayed she would have already been in the air.

And the TSA released a statement saying that their process worked!

BD338

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Quoting AviRaider (Reply 2):
TSA was aware of it but was delayed in stopping her

In my experience they seem fully capable of stopping people carrying a 4 oz tube of toothpaste but are "delayed" when someone carries a gun through security???? What were all those folks they have stood around actually doing???

PapaChuck

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:07 pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01...dfw-passengers-gun-spotted-at.html

The woman may have indeed made an honest mistake, but a gun still got through security. I don't care who you are, that's a failure of the system.

PC
In-trail spacing is a team effort.

Charles79

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:16 pm

I feel a bit sad for the lady, her picture in an article I just read shows her and she looks like a nice, regular grandmother who just so happens to carry a weapon. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming that it was an honest mistake; otherwise she should have known better. Mistake or not, she will have to face the legal consequences as her action caused delays to other flights and passengers.

As for TSA...seriously? In the article I just read (NY Daily News) there's a statement from TSA that she left the screening area before her screening was complete and that she removed her bag before the X-Ray screeners had a chance to check her belongings. I have a hard time believing this when you consider that the typical X-Ray machine for hand luggage usually has the scanner enclosed within the conveyor belt and that passengers can't easily reach in and grab their belongings until after it has crossed the scanner (and thus, became visible on the screen for the TSA agent). I don't necessarily wish for anyone to lose their job over a single mistake but I do hope that there are serious repercussions for TSA for this blatant omission. As passengers we are required to comply with TSA rules 100% of the time; I think it's only fair to hold the agency to the same standard.

kpitrrat

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm

As other posters have said I too believe this woman made an honest mistake as well. I am willing to giver her the benefit of the doubt and also expect her to understand the consequences. With that being said I believe this is a SERIOUS breakdown of the screening process.

I am in no way an expert in screening baggage, but in my experience going through the checkpoint the officer generally is sitting in front of a monitor looking at the baggage in real time. What happened here? Did they just send the bag through and look at the image 5 minutes later? Furthermore, I would assume (or like to assume) that TSA officers could spot a handgun in baggage with relative speed. Especially in this case where I would assume the woman was not trying to conceal it to any high degree.

Please, the process worked?? AFTER the woman had already boarded the plane. I'snt the point to prevent this from happening? Oh wait....

Quote from Star-Telegram Article.
"It is unreasonable to expect airport security to be perfect, he said.

Guns in carry-on bags are spotted 9 times out of 10, he said, so terrorists are unlikely to bring guns into airports given the high chance of being caught."

But Cupcakes in a Jar are Strictly Prohibited....

exFWAOONW

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:25 am

Maybe this will be a wakeup call to most people that TSA is theatre of the absurd.

Did she plan on hijacking the flight? It doesn't sound like it. I see no reason for hand-wringing.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?