Gulf Air Airbus

Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:31 pm

Hi Airliners...

I was wondering if anyone has heard any more with reference as to why the Airbus that went down in the gulf recently.

Any Cause yet Known or speculated upon?

RE: Gulf Air Airbus

Sun Oct 08, 2000 4:11 pm

They say the captain was new on the 320, other stupid speculation was that he wa drunk.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Robert Flinzner

PIA Great people to fly with

Attn. Pakistania

Sun Oct 08, 2000 8:26 pm

Al Salam Allaikum

is PIA still using that slogan:
....great people to fly with.... ???
i havn't heared it for years.

By the way i did many trips with PIA n their 747-200 from Damascus to FRA
(1989-1995) and on their 737-200 fromn Damascus to Dubai (1995)

Mon Oct 09, 2000 2:53 am

I'm not sure that the official cause of the Gulf Air crash has been released. I flew on them 2 days after the crash from Bahrain to London, and the entire staff was still hit pretty hard from the accident. I find it unlikely that the pilot may not have flown an A320 before. Gulf Air's fleet is almost entirely A330's, A340's, and A320's.

Mon Oct 09, 2000 4:36 am

I heard that the pilot had over 1800 hours on the A320.

However, based on the preliminary analyses, it appeared that he missed his initial approach because he was too high and too fast. When he turned around he began climbing from 1000 ft to a prescribed altitude of 2500 ft to begin a turn around for the approach into Bahrain. However, the CVR and FDR show that he was flying too fast and may have stalled.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Mon Oct 09, 2000 6:16 pm

Hi Jaysit,

we everything is possible. However what puzzles me is:
1. The A320 is a fly by wire where all approach procedures are auto. arranged (if the autopilot is on)
2. If he had too much speed, how did he stall???? usually you stall when your speed is too low?

Mon Oct 09, 2000 6:55 pm

According to World Airline Fleet News this is what info they say about it:

"Airbus Industrie A320-212 A40-EK (msn 481) was destroyed on August 23rd when it crashed nearing the end of the flight (GF072) between Cairo and Bahrain, killing all of the 135 passengers and eight crew aboard. The aircraft had been cleared to land on Runway 12 at Bahrain's Muharraq Intl. Airport and the approach controller provided the crew with the latest weather - clear sky, wind 090 degrees at 7 knots, with unlimited visibility. As the aircraft approached final, the pilot was cleared to descend to 1,500 feet. At 16 statute miles from the runway, the aircraft was at an altitude of 3,000 feet, air speed 380mph. The Captain disengaged the autopilot and took manual control of the aircraft for a standard VFR approach landing. As the aircraft approached the runway it became apparent that both altitude and approach speed were too high. The pilot performed a missed approached. The climb out and banking manoeuvres undertaken to re-establish for the second approach for Runway 12 were described by one investigator as being "short". The second approach was also high making a second missed approach necessary. Following the second missed approach the pilot commenced a tight 360-degree go-around, during which the aircraft descended and crashed into the Persian Gulf. At the point of impact, the water depth was shallow, varying between 6 to 40 feet in depth over the length and breath of the wreckage trail. The aircraft fragmented on impact and a post impact fireball and surface fire, fuelled by onboard fuel, ensued. Data gleaned from the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder ruled out mechanical failure as a priliminary or contributory cause of the accident. Interpretation of data from the CVR and FDR suggest that the pilot may have been frustrated and unaware of the aircraft's attitude and proximity to the ocean surface until very close to impact. It would appear that the pilot's frustration with the first and then second missed approaches may have clouded his judgement leading to poor desision making and a failure to follow safe procedures while undertaking the third attempt at landing. The investigation has beenn unable to establish any external influence or cause, other than poor airmanship, that led to the second missed approach and the subsequent crash preparatory to a third attempt at landing. The pilot-in-charge had recently been promoted to Captain and had logged a total of 6,856 hours - all types inclusive"

Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:05 pm

From this report it looks like another airbus A320 pilot who cannot fly without his beloved computers. The said airport had no ILS system (Aerospace International) and therefore everything had to be done manually. Okay, so I am pro-Boeing, but honestly, should such a thing happen to any pilot at all? The weather and the general conditions seemed not to be involved, just crappy flying!

Thu Oct 12, 2000 9:54 pm

Hi Amir,

regarding your query of PIAs slogan, yes its still in use and sadly they pulled out of Damacus almost two years ago 
.....up there with the best!

Question For "A Student"

Fri Oct 13, 2000 2:08 am

Hello "A student",

I have a question for you about what you said about the "beloved computers". What makes the airbus special since all airliners present-day are practicaly flown by computers? Airbus and Boeing. What has flying manually to do with computers? Is there a difference between flying "direct" (btw. does this still exist?) and by flying with a computer at your side?