gilesdavies
Topic Author

Adria - Transfer London Ops From Gatwick To Luton

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:55 pm

I didn't see this one coming...

Adria Airways the Slovenian national carrier, are to commence flights from London-Luton to Ljubljana from this summer, flying 4-5 times weekly with an A319...

It seems the airline have switched their recently announced new route that was supporsed to fly to Gatwick to Luton...

Even though this is not going to bring massive numbers to LTN, it is quite a major coup for the airport to draw away traffic from LGW and also for it not to be your usual LCC airline that usually operates to LTN!
Adria To Return Back To LGW On 28th March 2012 (by LGWflyer Jan 3 2012 in Civil Aviation)

The airline will also offer a number of connections through their LJU hub (if you can call it that) to a number of former Yugoslav cities, Belgrade, Podgorica, Pristina, Sarajevo, Skopje and Tirana..

The flights are now bookable on Adria Airways website and found the following post:
http://exyuaviation.blogspot.com/201...-to-dusseldorf-adria-to-luton.html

I would imagine the airline has been offered more favorable airport fees at LTN... Im sure the LTN haters will have something to say about this!

I wonder with Wizzair operating all their London traffic to LTN from Central Europe (Including Croatia, Serbia and FYR of Macedonia), if it is more well known than LGW to foreign nationals from this part of Europe, flying to London?  
(Just my thoughts, and will probably be shot down! LOL)

[Edited 2012-01-20 13:06:00]

LGWflyer

RE: Adria - New Route Luton-Ljubljana (Move From LGW)

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow a shock indeed! Well even though they will be going to LTN it will be nice to know they are returning back to London in general.

Maybe LTN will better suite them, they were losing alot of money here so this maybe will give them another shot at bringing in some profit.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

flycro

RE: Adria - Transfer London Ops From Gatwick To Luton

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm

If LTN was worth it to LJU surely Wizz would have continued the route?

JU068

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Thread starter):
I wonder with Wizzair operating all their London traffic to LTN from Central Europe (Including Croatia, Serbia and FYR of Macedonia), if it is more well known than LGW to foreign nationals from this part of Europe, flying to London?
(Just my thoughts, and will probably be shot down! LOL)

I can't speak for the other Yugoslav republics but as far as Serbia/Belgrade goes Luton isn't more famous. Though Wizz Air records good loads on their 4 weekly flight to Luton Jat Airways still offers 11 frequencies (from this summer) to both Heathrow and Gatwick.
Also British Airways used to operate 5 to 7 weekly frequencies to Belgrade from Heathrow.

Quoting flycro (Reply 2):
If LTN was worth it to LJU surely Wizz would have continued the route?

I guess that Adria is counting on transit passengers. However why would anyone connect with JP to Luton when other London airports are well served via all the other airlines operating into the region.

LGWflyer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 3):
I guess that Adria is counting on transit passengers. However why would anyone connect with JP to Luton when other London airports are well served via all the other airlines operating into the region.

Could they try MAN? As there is alot of competition here in London would they do better up there...

I was thinking they could try Southend also, newish airport which could open some opportunities.

rutankrd

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 pm

LGWfyer Adria operate twice a week in summer into Manchester already.

As for Luton well it will do well enough from the IT contracts such as Balkan Holidays and dare i say Shearings with the elderly coaching mob that visit the lakes in Slovenia and neighbouring Northern Italy
(Much the same as the Manchester operation)

Unlike the rest of the former Yugoslavia Slovenia has remained on the map pretty much unbrokenly as a holiday destination

LGWflyer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 5):
LGWfyer Adria operate twice a week in summer into Manchester already.

Alright I see, how are they doing at MAN?

PezySPU

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Thread starter):
I would imagine the airline has been offered more favorable airport fees at LTN...

Yep, that must have been the deciding factor for JA. One would hope that at least prices would be set accordingly.

flycro

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Do JA also operate to LTN?
MAN must be succesful as they operate twice weekly in summer.

LGWflyer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting flycro (Reply 8):
Do JA also operate to LTN?

No they don't. Just LHR and soon to be LGW.

flycro

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 pm

I didn't know JA (B&H Airlines) flew to LHR and LGW

eurowings

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting flycro (Reply 10):

That's because they don't fly to London at all!
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

rutankrd

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 pm

JJ - Aviogenex
JP-Adria
JR- air Jugoslavia (Defunct)
JU - JAT

Me thinks PezySPA was referring to JAT !

I remember JA being the code for Air Spain !

LGWflyer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Quoting flycro (Reply 10):
Quoting EuroWings (Reply 11):
That's because they don't fly to London at all!

Sorry I forgot to say they will start in London at both LGW and LHR in the summer. According to ju608 in post 3 there are to be 11 frequencies from both of the airports together.

flycro

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

JA don't fly to London, let alone both LHR and LHR!!!!

JU068

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 13):
Sorry I forgot to say they will start in London at both LGW and LHR in the summer. According to ju608 in post 3 there are to be 11 frequencies from both of the airports together.
Quoting ju068 (Reply 3):
I can't speak for the other Yugoslav republics but as far as Serbia/Belgrade goes Luton isn't more famous. Though Wizz Air records good loads on their 4 weekly flight to Luton Jat Airways still offers 11 frequencies (from this summer) to both Heathrow and Gatwick.

You got the codes wrong, JA which you have been using is for Air B&H based in Sarajevo (SJJ). I was talking about the Belgrade based Jat Airways, code JU.
The original conversation was about Adria or JP.

JA will be the only ex-Yugoslav airline to not fly to London in summer. Montenegro Airlines (YM) will be returning, Croatia Airlines (OU) has been flying and so has Jat Airways (JU).As mentioned above Adria (JP) will be launching flights as well.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 15):
JA will be the only ex-Yugoslav airline to not fly to London in summer. Montenegro Airlines (YM) will be returning, Croatia Airlines (OU) has been flying and so has Jat Airways (JU).As mentioned above Adria (JP) will be launching flights as well.

Whilst Wizz do fly Luton to Skopje no actual FYROM (Macedonian) registered carriers operate into the UK either.

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:52 am

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 7):
Yep, that must have been the deciding factor for JA. One would hope that at least prices would be set accordingly.

Was supposed to be JP there, didn't notice it until now.  
Quoting rutankrd (Reply 16):
Whilst Wizz do fly Luton to Skopje no actual FYROM (Macedonian) registered carriers operate into the UK either.

You know of any FYROM registered carriers?

Quoting flycro (Reply 14):
JA don't fly to London, let alone both LHR and LHR!!!!

But it seems that you got the codes wrong as well.

What went wrong in this thread??   

usdcaguy

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:04 am

Any idea why JP would switch from LGW to LTN? Is there a cost advantage of some sort? It seems the disadvantage is that they won't be able to get the same connecting traffic from LTN as from LGW (there are still a number of US flights from ATL/CLT/TPA/MCO/LAS that land at LGW). I'm sure someone did an analysis before making this decision, but it would be interesting to know what the logic was.

In the meantime, with the rail/shuttle link to Luton, is flying from LTN now as convenient as flying from LGW?

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 18):

I can't see any other advantage but costs. They were losing lots of money on LGW.

Pe@rson

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 am

Is there a cost advantage of some sort?

Yes, absolutely. (And probably also fewer delays.) Given the price-elasticity of its targeted market segments...

won't be able to get the same connecting traffic from LTN as from LGW (there are still a number of US flights from ATL/CLT/TPA/MCO/LAS that land at LGW).

I suspect the huge majority of passengers on LJU-LGW were O&D anyway. (For reference, 120,800 flew LON-LJU-LON in 2010, with JP carrying just 31% of that and the rest by EZY.)

is flying from LTN now as convenient as flying from LGW

Highly subjective question!

[Edited 2012-01-21 02:15:32]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 17):

Its a fair point - None currently

flyingalex

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 am

http://matairways.mk/en/

Though to be fair, they only have a single B737-500, Z3-AAM.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 am

Any idea why JP would switch from LGW to LTN? Is there a cost advantage of some sort? It seems the disadvantage is that they won't be able to get the same connecting traffic from LTN as from LGW (there are still a number of US flights from ATL/CLT/TPA/MCO/LAS that land at LGW). I'm sure someone did an analysis before making this decision, but it would be interesting to know what the logic was.

In the meantime, with the rail/shuttle link to Luton, is flying from LTN now as convenient as flying from LGW?

Any one traveling USA- Ljubljana will be routed via Munich period.

Adria UK summer operations are dominated by Inclusive Tour package type holiday travellers as referred to previously.

Adria has several contracts with companies that that use up much/most of their limited capacity. Direct sales fill the balance.

In the case of use of Luton over say Gatwick to at least one of these tour operators it's actually an advantage.

One of these tour operators is a UK coaching company called Shearings- They have network of regional pickup points using a feeder coach service to central consolidation and transfer point. The London point is actually just 25 minutes drive from Luton.

The same operator feeds the northern Manchester service via a similar hub a few miles from that airport.

As for the train connections you can connect between the two on a same train if you really want , but as i said you won't be connecting over London from the US to Slovenia if you have any sense what so ever.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting flyingalex (Reply 22):

Was under the impression Kon Tiki Skyways ala MAT had suspended operations

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:58 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 24):
Quoting flyingalex (Reply 22):

Was under the impression Kon Tiki Skyways ala MAT had suspended operations

They did AFAIK! All of the recent happenings in Macedonia regarding their national carrier resulted in a mess. Kon Tiki Sky was their last endeavor, and it's grounded I think. I am 100% certain that right now Macedonia doesn't have its flag carrier though.

[Edited 2012-01-21 03:10:33]

[Edited 2012-01-21 03:13:10]

GIANCAVIA

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Totaly BADASS lol. Something other then those damn Orange buses to Photo. ADRIA operated a few flights into LTN this year with the CRJ200 & A319 already.. I think both went to Hamburg though?

I dont think it will be the last to move this way. Smaller airlines operating to LGW/LHR that dont do it because of connections should logicly aim at LTN or STN as the other 2 are filling up or just to full already. The fees are lower, Less delays and contrary to what alot of people assume neither are that far away from central london.

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 23):
Adria UK summer operations are dominated by Inclusive Tour package type holiday travellers as referred to previously.

Adria has several contracts with companies that that use up much/most of their limited capacity. Direct sales fill the balance.

In the case of use of Luton over say Gatwick to at least one of these tour operators it's actually an advantage.

One of these tour operators is a UK coaching company called Shearings- They have network of regional pickup points using a feeder coach service to central consolidation and transfer point. The London point is actually just 25 minutes drive from Luton.

The same operator feeds the northern Manchester service via a similar hub a few miles from that airport.

Nice info thanks.

babybus

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 pm

I don't know what to say. Why leave an airport that has many established domestic connections and easy train access for an airport that is still developing its links to the wider world?

I presume it is a better contract deal at LTN.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 27):

I don't know what to say. Why leave an airport that has many established domestic connections and easy train access for an airport that is still developing its links to the wider world?

I presume it is a better contract deal at LTN.

The explanation is above.

The Inclusive tour is NOT dead and operators do use quasi scheduled services.

Slovenian connections to the outer world are via Munich and not London.

This IS a quasi Package Holiday service in all but name and Luton fulfils that adequately (at a very cost effective base) as the southern English departure point.

A further evidence is if you try to book a business flight London-Ljubljana you will be offered that via Munich connection over this service .

eurowings

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 27):

Adria is a Star Alliance member, meaning that their main transfer feeds are to MUC/FRA (LH) and ZRH (LX), where pretty much all the connections you could ever need are available (including to many UK airports).

London is an O&D destination for them, with tourists probably being the main customers. It's often a flight used by inclusive tour operators.

[Edited 2012-01-21 04:41:58]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

JU068

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 16):

Hence why I said that JA will be the only ex-Yu airline to not offer flights, FYROM doesn't have an airline so it didn't make sense to include them on the list.

Let's see if this routes makes any profit for the airline. Adria has been losing a lot of money over the past couple of years. They should pull their act together, unfortunately I do not think moving their operations into Luton was a wise idea. Package or not I doubt many people would appreciate landing in that part of London.
The only way they could top this stupidity is if they decide to operate it on their Crj-200! That aircraft is so uncomfortable and I guess many people would rather fly on U2's A319!

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 30):
Let's see if this routes makes any profit for the airline. Adria has been losing a lot of money over the past couple of years. They should pull their act together, unfortunately I do not think moving their operations into Luton was a wise idea. Package or not I doubt many people would appreciate landing in that part of London.
The only way they could top this stupidity is if they decide to operate it on their Crj-200! That aircraft is so uncomfortable and I guess many people would rather fly on U2's A319!

The old dears going to bled really won't care that much since they will be collected by a coach on their local high street, driven to Gateway services and transferred up to Luton Airport all as part of the experience.

I would not be surprised if Canadians do get deployed either during the low season. (They used them to Gatwick didn't they ?)

The IT contracts should cover operating costs during the limited season.

Again this is NOT a business oriented service really.

Just a flash back to the 70 and 80s i think.

GIANCAVIA

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 30):

Whats "wrong" with this part of London (BEDFORDSHIRE even)? Seems good enough for all the Vip's and ELAL seem to appreciate what LTN offers them.

I am intrigued what is so amazing about crawley (Sussex)? lol.. Since connections seem to be irrelevant to this operation. Not a whole lot. Pay more for nothing..

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 32):
Whats "wrong" with this part of London (BEDFORDSHIRE even)? Seems good enough for all the Vip's and ELAL seem to appreciate what LTN offers them.

Yep a lot of money and influence in the Chilterns and Hertfordshire just stone throw away.
Its certainly good enough for the UK premiers weekend breaks isn't it?

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 34):
Well if Luton was so hip and amazing it would have had more airlines than a few lowcosts and vip aircraft.

Why its always been a second neigh third tier airport however once again these are in essence quasi scheduled/charter flights.

I'll state again if your going into Ljubljana on a business trip with flexible travel times then your going via Munich period stop.

As for their operation out of Pristina well there is so much politics in that its for a differing forum/debate and i don't think any operations from there are actually profit motivated do you ?

eurowings

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 pm

EL AL seems to be doing well at LTN, and it's not a charter or low cost airline! They have snubbed operating out of LGW (as a second airport in addition to LHR) and have chosen STN and LTN instead for their lower-yield London traffic.

[Edited 2012-01-21 10:10:23]

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 35):
As for their operation out of Pristina well there is so much politics in that its for a differing forum/debate and i don't think any operations from there are actually profit motivated do you ?

Not to mention that it's not Serbia's second airport as ju068 stated, but that's what "suggest deletion" feature is for.

JP is restructuring, so if PRN is losing them money, something needs to be done about it. They recently announced PRN - VRN two weeks before service starts, and with two airlines already serving the route! That was a week or so ago, and I haven't heard any updates regarding that route since then, but I sincerely hope they forget about it. I don't understand what they see in that route.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 36):
EL AL seems to be doing well at LTN, and it's not a charter or low cost airline!

True enough ample clients from Borehamwood, Stanmore, Flinchley and surroundings with easier access to Luton than Heathrow (Oh and Luton has the only EL-AL departure back to Tel Aviv between Thursday night and Sunday afternoon !

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 37):
Not to mention that it's not Serbia's second airport as ju068 stated, but that's what "suggest deletion" feature is for.

I wasn't taking the bait on that my self.

flycro

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:39 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if JP did fly to Serbias second airport, INI, just like they took the subsidy from BNX.

GIANCAVIA

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 33):
Yep a lot of money and influence in the Chilterns and Hertfordshire just stone throw away.
Its certainly good enough for the UK premiers weekend breaks isn't it?

Indeedy.

Quoting ju068 (Reply 34):
Well if Luton was so hip and amazing it would have had more airlines than a few lowcosts and vip aircraft.

Thats kind of a laughable way to look at it. I guess the lake district it a shithole because nobody operates into carlisle.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Who flys to Niš these days as it never was a major airport in the Tito period _

flycro

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:51 pm

YM fly daily TGD-INI

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 42):
Who flys to Niš these days as it never was a major airport in the Tito period _

Well, he mentioned it, subsidies. BNX also had/has (not sure if it still operates) terrible LF, 5 pax per flight on CR2.

rutankrd

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:58 pm

YM - Ah Montenegro

And what's planned for the rebuilt Kraljevo airport ?

PezySPU

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 45):
And what's planned for the rebuilt Kraljevo airport ?

"“The first charter flights out of Kraljevo will be taking off in April at the latest”, Rasim Ljajić, Serbia’s Minister of Labour and Social Policy, said yesterday."

http://exyuaviation.blogspot.com/201...ights-to-kraljevo-this-summer.html

bennett123

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Any news on flight times?.

Also, is the start date known yet?.

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 am

Spring..

wed/fri/sat - 08.45 Arrival 09.45 Departure
sunday - 19:45 Arrival 20:45 Departure