LGWflyer
Topic Author

*Rumour* Afriqiyah To Return To LGW In May

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

It seems we may see Afriqiyah return back to Gatwick sometime in May as the the UK and Libyan governments have agreed to a resumption of air services from 1st May 2012. I hope to see the A330's back again (if they still have them I hope).

Also seems that BA may restart the LHR service to Tripoli on the 1st May also.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

jetblueguy22

RE: *Rumour* Afriqiyah To Return To LGW In May

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Although it's good to get services going again what are the odds of decent loads. Maybe I'm over thinking it but I just find it unlikely people want to visit Libya on business or pleasure in it's current state. Though I could be wrong.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

SurfandSnow

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't think Afriqiyah was/is really in the business of serving Libya O&D anyway. Libyan visas were very hard to get, even for Europeans, so a lot of the airline's business was transfer traffic from Europe to Western, Central, and Southern Africa.

As much as I hate to use this for reference, look at that tragic plane crash in 2010. Over 2/3 of the pax were Dutch, on a JNB-TIP-AMS routing. None of them were going to be visiting Libya itself - just a brief transit.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 2):
I don't think Afriqiyah was/is really in the business of serving Libya O&D anyway. Libyan visas were very hard to get, even for Europeans, so a lot of the airline's business was transfer traffic from Europe to Western, Central, and Southern Africa.

As much as I hate to use this for reference, look at that tragic plane crash in 2010. Over 2/3 of the pax were Dutch, on a JNB-TIP-AMS routing. None of them were going to be visiting Libya itself - just a brief transit.

Now you say that I think quite a few Brits use the airline to get to South Africa via Tripoli for a cheaper price than your average direct flight.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

Someone83

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 1):
I just find it unlikely people want to visit Libya on business

Libya got oil, oil attracts investments. Investments = business traffic

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 am

Quoting someone83 (Reply 4):
Libya got oil

The largest amount in Africa.

Here's a good article from the excellent folks at CAPA: http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...crucial-to-economic-recovery-64407
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

steve6666

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 am

The OneWorld timetable tool has BA returning to TIP daily from the summer timetable. This update is yet to hit the timetable on ba.com
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

CRJ900

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 1):
Although it's good to get services going again what are the odds of decent loads

Isn't Afriqiyah and Libyan Arab Airlines merging, so they can start up services with two-class CRJ900 to get traffic going again? The CRJ900s are sitting idle, I believe, and it must be cheaper to get them back into the air than a big A330.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Sepultallica

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Does anyone have any idea when Afriqiyah will restart its services in general? Their wikipedia entry states their machines have been in active service on Hajj flights, but other than that, have they been flying anywhere at all?
Chinokanganwa idemo; Chitsiga hachikanganwe. ✈