boeing71234567
Topic Author

AA To End BDL-SJU April 2nd?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 am

There are rumors that this flight is ending on April 2nd. It is not available after that date for booking, and I called reservations today. They said, "For the time being, Hartford to San Juan is nonstop, but sometime in April you have to connect to Miami or Dallas. Every flight every day is pretty much full, at most there are 6 seats available. This flight has been operating for what seems forever, and has always done well. I am confused why they would let this go?

Edit: http://www.trvlink.com/download/aa/AAschedules.pdf

Page 362 - SJU - BDL

[Edited 2012-01-23 19:25:27]

jetblueguy22

RE: AA To End BDL-SJU April 2nd?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 am

Well they're cutting big time due to bankruptcy. I can imagine now that B6 is on the route it must not be as profitable as it once was. I had heard a few years back that it was a pretty good money maker for AA but that was pre recession. They have cut capacity in recent years so maybe they just decided to call it quits and focus elsewhere.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Jamake1

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting boeing71234567 (Thread starter):
I am confused why they would let this go?

Being that San Juan is not a part of AA's Cornerstone Strategy, BDL-SJU likely no longer fits into AA's strategic plans, which has involved the elimination of P2P flying that does not touch one of their cornerstone hubs. With aircraft being returned to lessors during its court restructuring, I would venture to guess that any remaining P2P flying will go by the wayside as assets are re-deployed to markets where AA can generate the highest revenue premiums...
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

chepos

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:21 am

B6 enters a route out of SJU , AA abandons it. I am surprised AA still flies btw JFK and SJU.
This his has been rumored for a while, SJU is just a spoke on the AA system so BDL-SJU makes no sense for them anymore. B6 entering the market was just the final straw, they were bound to exit the route.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

smoot4208

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 am

I also did not see SJU-LAX in the schedule anymore. Is this route also being discontinued? Passengers can still easily connect in either MIA or DFW

SCL767

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 4):

I also did not see SJU-LAX in the schedule anymore. Is this route also being discontinued?

IIRC, AA will resume the LAX-SJU route 2x weekly with the B752 starting on April 7, 2012.

Bobloblaw

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 5):
IIRC, AA will resume the LAX-SJU route 2x weekly with the B752 starting on April 7, 2012.

There is no value to the AA system of flying LAX-SJU. Low yield fuel intensive.

realsim

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Quoting chepos (Reply 3):
B6 enters a route out of SJU , AA abandons it. I am surprised AA still flies btw JFK and SJU.
This his has been rumored for a while, SJU is just a spoke on the AA system so BDL-SJU makes no sense for them anymore. B6 entering the market was just the final straw, they were bound to exit the route.

This is why I've always though that AA and B6 will eventually codeshare and merge once the AA's pilot contract allows it. You may argue that the reason of route cancellations is only about AA's cost structure, but AA does compete with many LCC and doesn't give up easily. With B6, however, they have ended a lot of routes just the day before or after B6 launched them, specially to/from SJU and BOS. For me, it sounds like removing as many as duplicities as possible (and I also think this may be one of the reasons why AA didn't say anything about DL/US slot swap, because with the new DL market share at LGA, regulators would have it difficult to say no to AA/B6 integration at JFK).

col

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Remember the days of the AB6 doing the route, long history but now gone.

dvincent

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting col (Reply 8):
Remember the days of the AB6 doing the route, long history but now gone.

AB6 service stopped on April 10, 20007. A lot's changed in five years...
From the Mind of Minolta

Avianca

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting BobLoblaw (Reply 6):
There is no value to the AA system of flying LAX-SJU. Low yield fuel intensive.

well their was always some nice connecting traffic from and to asia not only to SJU but also to the carribean network + CCS
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

SurfandSnow

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:28 am

Come on now, this is hardly surprising. SJU is no longer an AA hub, and the airline's Cornerstone Strategy - hubs at DFW/MIA/ORD/JFK/LAS - has put an end to virtually all p2p flights, especially with respect to mainline. AA flew this after the major round of SJU cuts because they continued to enjoy a monopoly on a sector with strong O&D. But once B6 announced it, I don't think anybody expected AA to keep flying it much longer. Now, SJU-CCS will likely remain, if only because the current Venezuelan government will absolutely not allow a scarce frequency to be reallocated by an American carrier to another market (like MIA, JFK, DFW, perhaps even ORD or LAX). I think the entire SJU ATR/Eagle hub is probably toast, and I don't see any reason to keep doing LAX-SJU once that feed is gone. I'm shocked they are even bothering to bring it back!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

jfk777

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 5):

The route could be because of cruise ship contracts as Los Angeles is a huge O & D city.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos