QF175
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread # 58

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:05 am

In thread # 57, the following points were discussed.

* Air New Zealand sends 777 equipment to Perth
* Qantas possibly reintroducing services to the Gold Coast
* Industrial harmony at Qantas
* Air Australia (VC) has confirmed its eyeing Vietnam and China from mid-2012
* Perth Airport opens a dedicated aircraft viewing area
* Various schedule increases and changes, including MH confirming its cancelling PER-BKI
* Virgin Australia announced SYD-DRW and SilkAir DRW-SIN
* Malaysia Airlines PER aircraft changes
* QR confirms its PER schedule - evening arrival into PER
* Schedule increases at Brisbane Airport
* Parallel runway at Brisbane Airport - ever increasing aircraft movements
* Air India - SYD and MEL services (on again, off again)
* NorfolkAir suspending BNE/MEL/NTL/SYD-NLK in MAR - Air NZ commencing BNE/SYD-NLK in MAR
* Qantas and its European operations
* DRW-SGN getting the chop and being replaced with a DRW-MNL-NRT (same flight number)
* Air Asia finally confirms SYD services from mid-2012
* Discussion about possible new services from QF and EK at Adelaide
* Virgin Australia to deploy A330s MEL-PER/SYD
* Qantas crewing companies - differences
* Rumour that Japan Airlines will suspend Sydney services mid-2012
* Virgin Australia's first 737-700 painted in the new livery (VH-VBY)
* Qantas has begun trialling it's 'Q Streaming' IFE system on 767-300 VH-OGH

Cheers

QF175
Topic Author

RE: Australian Aviation Thread # 58

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 am

Brisbane Airport News

Domestic
Many may be unaware, however Brisbane Airport is seeing some of the biggest Domestic capacity growth in recent times. QantasLink and Virgin Australia are the key contributors of this growth in Domestic capacity at Brisbane Airport.

Virgin Australia

Brisbane-Gladstone
Services will be increased to 34 weekly in February with a new Sunday ATR turboprop service. Just recently the Airline introduce a third daily ATR service Monday through Friday.

Brisbane-Rockhampton
Services will be increased to 78 weekly in February with a new M-F service utilising Alliance Airlines Fokker 100s

Brisbane-Cairns
Services will be increased to 80 weekly in February with the introduction of a new M-F+Sun service utilising Alliance Airlines Fokker 100s

Brisbane-Prosperpine (Whitsunday Coast)
Services will be increased to 24 weekly in February with a new M-F service utilising Alliance Airlines Fokker 100s

Brisbane-Melbourne
Services will be increased to 174 weekly in February with a new daily service

Other routes such as Brisbane-Newcastle will see minor capacity changes with the introduction of Alliance Airlines Fokker 100 services, temporarily replacing E90s which will be deployed on other routes. Virgin Australia recently commenced services from Brisbane to Emerald using ATR equipment and in the coming weeks will commence weekend ATR services to Rockhampton. No doubt that with the delivery of additional frames they will look at new ports such as Moranbah, Roma, Bundaberg et al.

Other Airlines

Brisbane-Narrabri - Aeropelican Airlines
Aeropelican will introduce extra services on Mondays/Thursdays (in the afternoon), bringing weekly services to 7. The Airline recently merged with Brindabella Airlines (but operating as separate Airlines) who just a few weeks ago commenced a third daily Tamworth service on Mondays and recently inaugurated services from Brisbane to Armidale.

QantasLink
QantasLink is yet to confirm where it will deploy its 2 new 717s ex-Brisbane, however one would expect these frames will be operated on Brisbane-Rockhampton/Mackay once the Alliance contract ceases. This would allow QantasLink to move freed-up Q400 capacity to ports such as Roma and Moranbah.

It's astonishing to see how much capacity QantasLink has introduced on some of its routes over the past few months. Taking Roma as an example, some time ago it was serviced a mere once daily, however on some days of the week there is up to 7 services. The Airport recently carried out a major upgrade and no doubt once additional Q400 capacity becomes available, the Airline will deploy the Q400 on some of its Roma services, removing the DH8s and DH3s (for retirement or deployment on other routes). Moranbah is another example of where capacity has increased significantly in a short period of time. Prior to QantasLink, Macair was operating SF3s from Brisbane to Moranbah on a limited basis - now QantasLink flies to Moranbah with up to 8 services a day with a mixture of Dash 8-300s and Q400s.

There's rumours circulating that QantasLink will also be introducing services from Brisbane to Middlemount later in 2012, once further aircraft capacity becomes available. Macair operated services from Brisbane to Middlemount prior to its demise with SF3s a few times each week (basically just full of FIFO miners/workers).

No doubt we will be hearing more capacity increases on Domestic routes ex-Brisbane over the coming weeks. Interestingly it seems Qantas is bringing back Brisbane-Broome seasonal services for another year. Brisbane to Perth (Qantas) is almost purely a wide body service (A330s/767s) with the exception of Saturdays where a 737 operates one of the services. It is expected that Virgin Australia will introduce A330s on Brisbane to Perth later this year after recently increasing services by 3 weekly.

The construction of the expanded Domestic terminal (work progressing well and gates/aerobridges will be built towards the spotting area) can't come soon enough, on a recent flight from Brisbane to Mackay with QantasLink we were bussed to the Common User Terminal for our departure (where Sharp Airlines, Alliance, Jetstar, Air Australia and Skytrans operate from) - there was insufficient gate space for a departure from the QantasLink regional apron. Additionally due to the lack of gate space, Qantas had a 737 being decatered and offloaded behind a parked 767 awaiting a flight to Perth a few hours later.

International
On the International front there hasn't been as much growth, however Singapore Airlines is increasing BNE-SIN to 21 weekly, Air Australia is expected to commence Brisbane-Vietnam with A330s and increases existing BNE-HNL/HKT services to thrice weekly and Air New Zealand will commence A320 services from Brisbane to Norfolk Island in early March 2012 replacing the much smaller Norfolk Air 737-300s.

Brisbane Airport is currently serviced by the following Airlines

Domestic
Aeropelican
Air Australia
Alliance Airlines
Brindabella Airlines
Jetstar
QantasLink
Qantas
Skytrans
Tiger Airways
Virgin Australia

The Airport is also serviced by a number of smaller operators including Rex/Pelair, Sharp Airlines and GAM Air who operate closed charter services to ports such as Clermont, Orange and Chinchilla. JetsGo Australia is also expected to commence FIFO operations later in 2012 with EMB-135s.

International
Air Australia
Air New Zealand
Air Niugini
Air Pacific
Air Vanuatu
Aircalin
Cathay Pacific
China Airlines
China Southern Airlines
Emirates
Etihad
EVA Air
Jetstar
Korean Air
Malaysia Airlines
Norfolk Air (cease to exist March 2012)
Our Airline
Qantas (including Jetconnect)
Singapore Airlines
Solomon Airlines
Thai Airways
Virgin Australia (Indonesia, PNG, Pacific and NZ)
Virgin Samoa

International highlights of 2011 included Dallas-Brisbane being introduced (now 6 weekly), Brisbane being linked with Honolulu again after a number of years and Brisbane seeing a direct, same plane services to Beijing.

Brisbane Airport had 20.6 million passengers pass through its terminal in 2011 and despite being an eventful year, passenger growth at the international terminal surpassed that seen in 2010. Strongest growth marks in 2011 were New Zealand, China, South Africa and USA.

Cheers

QF175
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 am

In other news

Skytrans Airlines
New Toowoomba-Sydney flights

Per ABC Local Radio, Skytrans (Cairns-based regional Airline) has announced it will introduce services linking Toowoomba (Australia's biggest inland city behind Canberra) and Sydney from March 2012, initially once daily utilising the Airline's Dash 8-100s / Dash 8-300s.

As the Airline does not base aircraft in Toowoomba and only operates through flights (i.e. Brisbane-Toowoomba-Charleville/St George etc) I'd expect the services to possibly operate as Brisbane-Toowoomba-Sydney.

Additionally, Skytrans has made mention that it is actively looking at expanded services from Toowoomba to ports such as Gladstone - such services would mainly cater for the purpose of FIFO and moving staff.

Etihad Airways
Australian Services

Per TravelDaily 25JAN12, Etihad Airways has made mention that it is keen to take an equity stake in Virgin Australia, subject to foreign investment restrictions being relaxed.

Additionally, it has also been reported in the AFR that Etihad Airways is looking at increasing Brisbane-Abu Dhabi services to daily and introducing a new service to Adelaide or Perth (perhaps Adelaide would be the preferred option in light of Qatar Airways recently announced PER-DOH services).

eaglefarm4

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks QF175 .I can add Airlink Dubbo with B1900 and PA-31 equipment also offer fifo to PPP ,Nyngin,Dubbo as well as GWA,Wagners,Machjet,Easternwell .SEAIR also operate a twice daily OOL-BNE-Lady Elliott-BNE-OOL tourist flight Mon-Fri.

PS I am hearing more ATR flights soon.In past 4 months only VA have gone from 68 departures a day to 80 next month.

All up over 50 airlines operate out of BNE weekly from PA-31 to 744 size.

Cheers.

[Edited 2012-01-25 00:51:44]
tourismman

eta unknown

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 am

The jury is still out on how much longer EVA's BNE-TPE will last. Ditto China Airlines' BNE-AKL tag-on.

Also hearing rumours Air Asia will dump OOL and take over the MH BNE-KUL route.

IndianicWorld

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am

A few of changes by JQ:

JQ increases MEL-CNS flights (increase by 4 X weekly)
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/01/24/202145_local-news.html

JQ increases ADL-MEL (increase by 3 X weekly) and ADL-PER (increase by 3 X weekly)
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/travel...ights/story-e6freexc-1226250786619

JQ axes BNE-CHC flights (cancels 3 X weekly)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...ristchurch-Jetstar-flights-chopped

JQ additional capacity from MEL and OOL (1 extra based aircraft in MEL and OOL)
http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...r-war/story-e6frg2qc-1226250949744

IndianicWorld

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:17 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 4):
The jury is still out on how much longer EVA's BNE-TPE will last. Ditto China Airlines' BNE-AKL tag-on.

That jury has been out for a while but they both stick around.

One might move on though at some stage, but time will tell.

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 4):
Also hearing rumours Air Asia will dump OOL and take over the MH BNE-KUL route.

I would suspect that there may be some truth to the rumour, given the issues that D7 stated about gaining sufficient year-round yields at OOL not too long ago. Not sure how that will end up, but the MH/D7 network does have a few changes left to go I would suspect.

gardermoen

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 5):
JQ axes BNE-CHC flights (cancels 3 X weekly)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...opped

Surprised by this. Putting aside the issues in Christchurch at the moment, surely there is enough demand between the 2 cities for a 3 times weekly service given the large number of Kiwis in the Brisbane area? This means there is no QF-related company plying this sector.

eaglefarm4

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 am

No great loss on JQ BNE-CHC.

Obviously Pacific Blue and Air New Zealand are winning on that route.
tourismman

rushed

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 2):
It's astonishing to see how much capacity QantasLink has introduced on some of its routes over the past few months.

With this increase in capacity are QF going to upgrade / expand the BNE downstairs terminal area (where the QantasLink flights seem to depart from on the left after security?). Each time I've passed through this area it always looks cramped and a little budget.. Never used this area but it always looks busy - anyone else think this?
travel blogging enthusiast :)

ZuluAlpha

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):
QantasLink is yet to confirm where it will deploy its 2 new 717s ex-Brisbane, however one would expect these frames will be operated on Brisbane-Rockhampton/Mackay once the Alliance contract ceases

I Have spoken recently to the ground staff at GLT and they have advised me that they are to undergo training for the 717's as well. I know that maybe a little too much capacity on such a short run, but I don't see any reason to doubt the information they have given me.
Flown on:_CRJ, CR& D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

tayser

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:58 pm

VA are growing in MEL too...

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...ia-responds-to-demand-with-supply/

Anyhow, the little birdie that told me about the detailed plans for T3 & T4 expansion provided me with this:

and stated that detailed plans for MEL's 3rd runway will kick off soon.

The 2nd concourse of the current T3 will become the "new" T4 and effectively - as per the diagram above - is going to double the amount of gates in the precinct compared to now. (look closely, you can see the existing terminals depicted to give you an idea of the expansion to come).

more renders soon.  

MEL stats from Jan 19:

http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/N...onal-passenger-growth-in-2011.html

Quote:
Melbourne Airport finished 2011 with strong international passenger growth of 11 per cent compared to 2010 or an additional 651,157 passengers, taking total international passengers for the 2011 calendar year to 6.6 million.

depsite domestic going backwards due to Tiger and Volcano earlier in the year, the total pax for the airport increased 1% for the year:

Quote:
The strong international passenger growth contributed to more than 27.9 million passengers passing through Melbourne Airport in the 2011 calendar year, an increase of one per cent compared to 2010.
“Domestically, 2011 was a particularly tough year, with the well publicised weather and airline events that disrupted services,” said Mr Woodruff.
Domestic passengers declined by 2 per cent to 21.3 million passengers in 2011 compared to 2010.

roll on Tulla, ROLL ON!

Ditzyboy

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Quoting ZuluAlpha (Reply 10):
I Have spoken recently to the ground staff at GLT and they have advised me that they are to undergo training for the 717's as well.
http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/...lying-roo-to-bring-jet-age-qantas/

Rockhampton and Mackay are a shoe-in, though interestingly these destinations I cannot find confirmed in writing.

eaglefarm4

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:05 pm

We will know very shortly about the 717 scheds.I believe they should be loaded by this weekend ???.I believe GLT will get 3-4 flights a week.

I have also heard that Qantas will use Network F100'S out of BNE later in the year as well.
tourismman

ZuluAlpha

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 13):
I have also heard that Qantas will use Network F100'S out of BNE later in the year as well.

Have heard it as well, once again nothing I can provide in writing, But it would make sense, considering Network Aviation is now one of QF's Subsiduary companies. Better to keep the money in-house than to give it to another company (Alliance).
Flown on:_CRJ, CR& D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

EK413

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 pm

I've raised the question once before can anyone confirm the rumored cancellation of JL771/JL772 NRT-SYD-NRT service...???

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf002

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:13 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 15):
I've raised the question once before can anyone confirm the rumored cancellation of JL771/JL772 NRT-SYD-NRT service...???

They'd be crazy to cut it given that every flight over the past 2 months has been literally full. Perhaps they will reduce frequencies from daily through the winter then come back up in October/November? I would say that JQ might be a strong replacement long term once JQ Japan is up and running, but J class is as full as Y...

IndianicWorld

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:42 am

With the new MEL T3/T4, where will the Rex and any future Virgin Australia/Skywest regional flights operate from?

I expected more from this development in some ways, more in line with the masterplan. Still a great development though.

JQflightie

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Can anyone tell me why there was a Skytrans DH8 in PER this afternoon at about 1400 local?
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

eaglefarm4

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 am

Qantaslink announced their 717 schedules today out of BNE.

They are in QF schedules from 15 March but it appears as only 1 aircraft will be flying till beginning of June when aircarft 2 commences flying.

Anyway BNE-GLT,ROK,MKY all up by end of March

Initially 4 BNE-ROK flights a week each way,5 BNE-MKY a week each way and 10 BNE-GLT a week each way.

This will increase to 15 BNE-ROK each way,13 BNE-MKY each way and 15 BNE-GLT each way per week.

There are also increases to Roma and Bundaberg and Emerald listed in today's news.
tourismman

gardermoen

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 am

So Royal Brunei is going to daily to Melbourne from March.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/royal-brunei...-melbourne-brunei-flights-in-march

Looks like they are showing some sort of a commitment to Melbourne then. They have enough surplus 777s to keep this daily having given up other long haul routes recently.
But it seems an awful waste to keep the planes on the ground in MEL for some 14 odd hours (plane arrives Melbourne 10pm ish and leave the next day at 12 noon ish).

Good luck to them!

eta unknown

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

Not so much a commitment- more an act of desperation. The flight is timed to connect with LHR in both directions, hence the MEL overnight (which doesn't cost anything as MEL doesn't levy parking charges). Remember after the recent longhaul route cuts to AKL/BNE/PER there is no additional LHR feed.

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 am

^^ Desperation is a big call to make. It obviously sees some value in the MEL market, and with D7 ceasing its European services, I wants to attempt to use that as a way of selling its product.

It could have restarted BNE/PER/AKL if they wanted, but chose not to, and increased MEL. Take from that what you want really.

As for MEL, when I was there on Saturday morning, T2 was maxed out, even to the point where GA and CA both had to wait over 15 minutes to get a gate. BI 777, JQ A330 (X2), EK 777 and QF 744 were all moved to remote parking during that time to allow for space

There were quite a few A320/737 sized aircraft at T2, whiuch is where a dual purpose T3 would come in handy if they chose to go down that route. The current T2 gates would be freed up for the A330/767 and up.

shnoob940

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 am

Quoting QF175 (Thread starter):

According to the website, they have been using A330s on DJ849 for months now. I nearly booked once.

* Air Asia finally confirms SYD services from mid-2012

$99 fares must be a big loss. Flying to KUL on them in June.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 A388 733 734 735 737 738 739 743 744 762 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E170 E190 Q400 AT7 DH

gardermoen

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 am

Good point, IndianicWorld, I didn't think of the excess London-bound capacity that would have otherwise chosen Air Asia X.

I was at T2 at MEL the other week and it indeed is gate chaos at times. However even landside in the departure areas, it seems every spare space is being taken up for modified check-in counters and pop up coffee stores and other shops. Looks like such an ill-planned mess.

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 am

^^ Its called profit maximisation. Squeeze in every last thing into the existing infrastructure until you really have to expand. The T2 expansion was IMHO too small, which they seem to have miscalculated the demand given the recent increased services which are coming on-line. It all sounded like a big development, but things have caught up very quickly to the existing terminal capacity at a few peak periods already.

With the new T3/T4, theres an opportunity to address those issues, but I am not sure they will. MEL is in no position to tell airlines when to fly in, which without sufficient gate capacity, will be an issue at the current rate.

Quoting shnoob940 (Reply 23):
$99 fares must be a big loss. Flying to KUL on them in June.

Its a launch fare. They hae done every route launch. Prices increase steadily over time.

I was looking at the BITRE data for October, and MEL-KUL dropped from 66K (Oct '10) to 47K (Oct '11). On the other hand MEL-SIN grew quite dramatically. Not sure if that was because of decreased D7 capacity, increased prices driving down demand, or just a broader downturn on the MEL-KUL services by EK, MH and D7, with some pax moving to fly through SIN (JQ, QF and SQ) .

[Edited 2012-01-31 01:25:17]

VH-BZF

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:39 am

Melbourne has been a victim of its own success. It has grown so rapidly and with the advent of narrow bodies on Tasman flights coupled with massive increases from Asian carriers have taken up most of the available peak time slots. Hence customs are now holding passengers back beyond passport control inbound until there is room for them in the customs/baggage hall. I understand peak times down in Melbourne most days are out of control.

Brisbane is a focus for QF growth and shortly will go from 6 B747's per week to near triple daily B744's with SIN, DFW/SYD and LAX. A massive increase in capacity. Just need the rain to stop now!

Cheers

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

eta unknown

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 22):

The only value of MEL is to provide feed for LHR- it has to do with the "restructure" plan and "going back to their roots" (their words). Air Asia X doesn't factor into the equation at all. There are reasons why AKL/BNE/PER weren't re-instated. Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say those other cities "aren't an option at this time" (my words)- you need to read between the lines on that one. However, you might be surprised how soon one of those destinations is re-instated.

[Edited 2012-01-31 01:51:18]

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 am

^^ BNE has done well of late with QF I agree. It must be a shock to see the QF love  

In MEL's case, it has 2 X daily QF A380s which cause gate access issues, given that 1 gate can be used by 2 A320/737 sized planes. With SQ's A380 moving back onto the MEL route in March and the EK A380 headed this way in Oct, gate access issues and terminal capacity overall will get messy indeed at this rate. If MH bring their A380, good luck squeezing that in if they look to a peak period.

[Edited 2012-01-31 01:48:09]

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 am

Quoting eta unknown (Reply 27):
The only value of MEL is to provide feed for LHR- it has to do with the "restructure" plan and "going back to their roots" (their words). Air Asia X doesn't factor into the equation at all. There are reasons why AKL/BNE/PER weren't re-instated. Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say those other cities "aren't an option at this time" (my words)- you need to read between the lines on that one.

D7 doesn't factor into the decision at all? Now thats a strange call.

Maybe you should read their own words in their announcement of the increase. It has played a part, in whatever way, of atleast seeing hope in such a move might boost their loads through to LHR, whilst touting their leisure/budget position they can offer. It falls into their hands, by luck or plan.

The point is, they made their move, and good luck to them with it. It has been a surprise, but their loads do seem to be increasing so time will tell. BI is anything but a boring carrier with their moves  

VH-BZF

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

I also understand that Melbourne is also due to see further increases in flights from Seoul by Korean Air this year as well. With BI increasing as well, Melbourne is booming at the expense of Sydney. Whilst its great to welcome Air Asia X we have lost a number of international flights ex Sydney. I'm sure it will turn around and QF continues to serve Sydney well.

BZF

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:00 am

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 30):
I also understand that Melbourne is also due to see further increases in flights from Seoul by Korean Air this year as well. With BI increasing as well, Melbourne is booming at the expense of Sydney. Whilst its great to welcome Air Asia X we have lost a number of international flights ex Sydney. I'm sure it will turn around and QF continues to serve Sydney well.

What services has SYD lost?

I think its good to see less reliance on 1 city, with airlines now taking an active role in exploiting options left around the country. Many markets are crying out for service, and airlines no longer feel the need to gravitate to SYD like they used to.

SYD holds its own in terms of International services and will continue to do so though. It is still the tourist magnet of the country, although that has changed somewhat also over time to reflect a greater visibility of other areas of the country. A good thing for the country as a whole.

QantasA333

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:01 am

Meanwhile ADL has many empty slots available to international carriers! With the terminal expansion shortly happening, when will we see a new carrier? Could ADL see EK, QR, TG, EY, JL in the near future?

VH-BZF

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 31):

Agreed!

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 am

Quoting QantasA333 (Reply 32):
when will we see a new carrier? Could ADL see EK, QR, TG, EY, JL in the near future?

I could see a CZ flight in the next few years.

Other carriers:

- EK is on record stating that they are looking at ADL but will not start service to any further Australian destinations within the next 2 years.
- EY has been looking around apparently at an ADL flight, and given their connections via the VA/DJ partnership, it might add some value to that.
- QR not for quite a while if at all. They will be starting PER soon, and are unlikely to look at further expansion for a while here based on their comments.
- JL would be a no.
- TG possibly down the track, but its hard to see them trying it currently

So fro that, I could see CZ and EY there within 2 years at best  

QantasA333

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 34):

What is CZ reasoning? I never heard of them considering ADL.

rushed

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

Quoting QantasA333 (Reply 35):
What is CZ reasoning? I never heard of them considering ADL.

Aren't CZ trying to fly to everywhere???
travel blogging enthusiast :)

vhqpa

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):
commenced a third daily Tamworth service on Mondays

I'd like to add that I flew them last night (Monday 30 January) and it appears to be doing quite well. Was scheduled as a Metroliner. But ended up being upgraded to a Jetstream 41. I counted 18 passengers coming off the Brisbane - Tamworth flight and there was around 25 passengers on my Tamworth - Brisbane flight.

Also it appears Brindabella Airlines have just cancelled Brisbane - Moree flights.

Source
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

tayser

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm

The dilemma: start restricting international ops to certain times or expand again? lol

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1928/mel22w.jpg

^ anyone know what a 747 is doing at a T1 gate? Probably hasn't been one of them since the 743s stopped flying to PER

[Edited 2012-01-31 04:32:11]

IndianicWorld

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm

^^ I think the T3/4 development will likely have an international component.

If it doesn't, then either using buses (suggested by a user on another forum) for narrowbody flights at remote positions or restrict flights. Neither of those options are beneficial and in the case of the latter could be very damaging. MEL is in no position to tell airlines when they can fly in.

ZuluAlpha

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 19):
There are also increases to Roma

I can see not too long until DH4's into RMA. I know they recently lengthened (to 1500 meters) the runway and strengthened the runway and taxiways to handle the DH4. I know the local interests are very keen to see it arriving into RMA

eta unknown

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 29):
D7 doesn't factor into the decision at all? Now thats a strange call.

Maybe you should read their own words in their announcement of the increase. It has played a part, in whatever way, of atleast seeing hope in such a move might boost their loads through to LHR, whilst touting their leisure/budget position they can offer. It falls into their hands, by luck or plan.

At the risk of sounding rude- no. The press releases are pure spin (we could segway into the practices of the Bruneian media here, but not so relevant). Can't go into too much detail on a public forum- suffice it to say there are several head office and Govt. factors at play at the moment. Again- if AKL/BNE/PER isn't possible at the moment and you have 3 BWN-LHR flights operating with no feed at all, the only short term solution is to increase MEL. FYI- the MEL loads were quite healthy in DEC/JAN due to school holidays and BNE/AKL ticketed pax being re-routed via MEL.

747m8te

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting QantasA333 (Reply 32):
Meanwhile ADL has many empty slots available to international carriers! With the terminal expansion shortly happening, when will we see a new carrier? Could ADL see EK, QR, TG, EY, JL in the near future?

EK - Actually I'm surprised EK have not yet started ADL ops, they must be in as a strong possibility!

EY - Again a strong possibility...wonder if they may try and start services before EK and beat them to it?

QR - Not sure about this one, don't have a large enough presence in this country at the moment as it is, will see other ports expand with QR before ADL does.

JL - No....

TG - Would be interesting, maybe work as a MEL tag on?

As far as international expansion, would more likely see current operators like QF and NZ to expand, maybe we could see Jetstar add some international ops, or even Air Asia X???

Ah yes, another good possibility!
Flown on:DHC8Q200,DHC8Q400,EMB145,E170,E190,A320,A332,A333,A343,A380,MD80,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763

DJMEL

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:40 am

Quoting shnoob940 (Reply 23):

According to the website, they have been using A330s on DJ849 for months now. I nearly booked once.

The A330 is deployed once a week on DJ849 on Sunday's only at 1400, comes in as DJ888 from SYD on Saturday night at 2130, for overnight maintence at JH.

So on the 15th May it will be a daily flight:

MEL/SYD DJ813 0715/0840
SYD/MEL DJ830 1000/1135

tullamarine

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 38):
anyone know what a 747 is doing at a T1 gate? Probably hasn't been one of them since the 743s stopped flying to PER

It is either
- Antarctic flight
- 744 subbing for A330 on a PER service

What airline (blue-green tails) is at Gate 14? I'm guessing Air Vanuatu but can't tell if it is a 73W.

I was at MEL on Monday and the international terminal is seriously maxxed out. It is great that there has been such growth but there probably has to be another extension to cope with all of this. The current T3/T4 plans don't loook like they fully address this.

The terminal now has 3 serious peaks, mornings from 5:30 until 10AM, afternoons from 3 until 7 and a late night peak from 11PM to 1:30AM though there are flights completely around the clock.

The modifications to the arrivals hall has meant the baggage claim area is now bigger but the landside area is smaller and very cramped. Likewise departures has probably just about run out of options. There are new check-in desks near T3 as well as the new desks near Immigration that used to be a Duty-Free store. Whilst there are still retail in this area, the food areas have gone towards the domestic terminals. I'm unsure how you can grow it any further without giving up the gates 2 & 3 for more terminal space and maybe creating a remote terminal further out in the airfield. Of course, they could also shrink the airside Duty Free maze to free up space but that isn't going to happen.
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772,W,310,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,AT

EK413

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 38):
The dilemma: start restricting international ops to certain times or expand again? lol

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1928/mel22w.jpg

^ anyone know what a 747 is doing at a T1 gate? Probably hasn't been one of them since the 743s stopped flying to PER

Any indications as to where the airport will expand the aprons next...? The layout doesn't seem to give much room for expansion...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

cwalt2

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:14 am

Hi IndianicWorld,

I was speaking with one of the carrier's seniors execs last week on the China Southern Airways branded ferry as part of the Ferrython on Sydney Harbour.

I questioned him on whether regular scheduled services to Adelaide (and Darwin for that matter) were possible but he said CZ had no immediate plans to fly to either city, at least before 2015. Excluding charter services that is. Basically there isn't a large enough Chinese community in ADL or DRW, or the demand to fill the Business cabin to warrant those routes.

The Gold Coast was also highly doubtful given its proximity to Brisbane, but flights into Cairns were more promising.

CZ's main mission is to increase frequencies on existing routes over the next couple of years, and possibly deploy the A380 to Sydney.

IndianicWorld

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 am

Quoting cwalt2 (Reply 46):
I questioned him on whether regular scheduled services to Adelaide (and Darwin for that matter) were possible but he said CZ had no immediate plans to fly to either city, at least before 2015. Excluding charter services that is. Basically there isn't a large enough Chinese community in ADL or DRW, or the demand to fill the Business cabin to warrant those routes.

The 2015 timeframe was mentioned as them looking at ADL, OOL or CNS, so atleast they appear to be sticking to a common line on that.

CNS has no chinese comunity really either, but its tourist appeal would give it some potential atleast.

The Gold Coast was also highly doubtful given its proximity to Brisbane, but flights into Cairns were more promising.

Fully agree. It would be either BNE retaining flights or the airline moving to OOL. The latter is harder to see occur.

As for CNS, see above comment.

CZ's main mission is to increase frequencies on existing routes over the next couple of years, and possibly deploy the A380 to Sydney.

I had heard that CZ were looking at A380 flights into SYD and MEL in their plans, but that seems quite a way off yet. The A380s have F class, which are not on the A330s used on their current services.

QF175
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

First Class is available on CZ's A330-300 services ex-Sydney and Brisbane (4 seats each flight), along with Business, Premium Economy and Economy.

Thanks for posting the 717-200 schedule information tourisman - it seems almost monthly QantasLink are announcing extra capacity to regional ports, through schedule increases and upguaging to larger aircraft. It's been a while since Gladstone has seen jet services since Strategic pulled the plug. The 717s (along with the F100s) are extremely spacious and comfortable to fly in and it's great to see such a diversity in Aircraft plying routes ex-BNE. I'm not sure how much further QantasLink can expand, given the terminal/gate constraints at Brisbane Airport and the fact they are having to dispatch quite a few flights from the Common User Terminal.

I'm keen to see Skytrans' schedule offering for their mooted Toowoomba - Sydney service, especially as it will only be once daily, at least initially. It's a shame that there won't be 2 daily services initially M-F to allow for a full business day in either city (same day return), however it seems Skytrans' existing diverse flying schedule (lots of FIFO work) will dictate the schedule for the new Toowoomba service. Skytrans seems to get good utilisation out of their small fleet of Dash 8-100s/300 with the amount of flying they have been achieving of late (I see that they just recently commenced ops from Brisbane to Maroochy and on to Middlemount).

[Edited 2012-02-01 00:33:32]

QF175
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 am

Tiger Airways has announced that it will relaunch Melbourne - Cairns in 2012 and add extra capacity to its existing Melbourne - Sydney/Perth routes. In the second half of 2012 it expects to open a second base in Australia (safe to assume that this is neither Adelaide or Avalon).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...nding/story-e6frg95x-1226258821466