plateman
Topic Author

Delta Unveils New Boarding Pass Design -PIC

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Did not see this posted but Delta has just released images and information on their new boarding passes, coming to a check-in near you ...

Most important they say is using the same boarding document for up to four flight segments in the months to come.

They seem more streamlining, so I'm a fan ... pic at this link: http://blog.delta.com/2012/02/01/new...ebuts-on-delta-com-airport-kiosks/

Also are any other airlines planning on doing this? A friend flew AA recently out of IND and in advance of super bowl they had PDA's that spit out boarding passes that looked very much like JetBlue's .. I asked if this will be rolled out nationwide and got a 'no comment.'

[Edited 2012-02-01 07:20:37]

[Edited 2012-02-01 07:20:45]

[Edited 2012-02-01 07:24:22]
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Stabilator

RE: Delta Unveils New Boarding Pass Design -PIC

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Just saw this on the DL face book page. Looks fine to me. Whenever I can I use a mobile boarding pass on their iPhone app. Facebook comments seem to think they should make the font larger.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

star_world

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Wow - this is incredibly bad. At a glance:

- Airport codes as the largest, most prominent text? This is meaningless to the vast majority of passengers
- Tiny, tiny "sky priority" text which needs to be looked at in security lines and at boarding to determine eligibility. They're going to need magnifying glasses
- Sideways text for information like the confirmation number that would be useful if a GA needed to look up the booking. Why not use some of the vast amount of empty (horizontal) space?
- Tiny departure and arrival times

It's shocking that they actually believe they thought about the design and this is the result.

katwspotter

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm

They announced this to employees a week or two ago. Used it this morning for my flight to MSP. To me, it seems to be a lot more customer friendly.
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Good to see a couple of features that were on the NW boarding passes being integrated into the new design.

Specifically:
Arrival Time (eliminates a lot of stupid questions from people asking GAs & FAs or not being able to figure out the time change)
Ability to use the same boarding pass for multiple segments

The seat number/boarding zone could be a little larger more prominent, like it is on the current DL boarding pass. That helps the kettles.

BlueShamu330s

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:31 pm

A major improvement.

The only people I can imagine who will be displeased will be the BP wavers who like to show off their status or the fact they're sitting in 1A to everyone.  

Rgds
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

TSS

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

The new design seems logical and easy to read/understand, although I don't recall DL's old boarding passes being especially bad in those respects. Here's the part that I really like- "I’m sure you’ve noticed all the white space, too. We have plans for that in the months ahead! Soon be you’ll be able to use a single document for up to four flight segments – and that means no more looking for the right boarding pass on a multi-segment trip."   
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Cubsrule

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 4):
Ability to use the same boarding pass for multiple segments

Yes. Far and away the nicest change, especially for those of us who frequently travel with our families and have a lot of paper to manage. For me, the rest isn't terribly important.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

burnsie28

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 7):
Yes. Far and away the nicest change, especially for those of us who frequently travel with our families and have a lot of paper to manage. For me, the rest isn't terribly important.

I remember NW had this prior to the merger, albeit it was a little small IMO when you had the flights, but still a lot better than wasting paper and ink on numerous boarding passes.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Quoting Katwspotter (Reply 3):

Same with me! Heading to Minne myself and I was surprised when the kiosk spit it out. Totally forgot about the announcement made last week.

Quoting star_world (Reply 2):

There is a reason why the space is there. It's used to list multiple segments. There is no longer the need to tear of the end simply scan and go as normal and save it for all your connecting flights. Secondly, it doesn't matter were the confirmation # is as to GAs. They know where to find it.
What gets measured gets done.

star_world

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 9):
There is a reason why the space is there. It's used to list multiple segments. There is no longer the need to tear of the end simply scan and go as normal and save it for all your connecting flights. Secondly, it doesn't matter were the confirmation # is as to GAs. They know where to find it.

What matters is that it makes zero sense to put that data sideways.

Wouldn't it be logical, if they wanted to publicise the benefits of this new layout on their blog, to show what a multi-segment itinerary looks like? The white space isn't a major issue, it's the fact that they have made the useless information huge and the relevant information tiny. I really don't see how that's an improvement.

N1120A

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

My comment is that I would hope they stick with card stock with all the use these BPs will get.

- Airport codes as the largest, most prominent text? This is meaningless to the vast majority of passengers

But it does mean something to the airport staff. Makes it easy to read quickly.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

burnsie28

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting star_world (Reply 10):
Wouldn't it be logical, if they wanted to publicise the benefits of this new layout on their blog, to show what a multi-segment itinerary looks like? The white space isn't a major issue, it's the fact that they have made the useless information huge and the relevant information tiny. I really don't see how that's an improvement.

I don't think that has been finalized on the look, plus if they advertised it as that and then people don't get it, it can cause confusion. Sad but true.

mayor

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm

The white space isn't a major issue, it's the fact that they have made the useless information huge and the relevant information tiny.

I would only call it "tiny" in the example given. If you blow it up to actual size, even the small print is easy to read.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):

Exactly. As in when a little old lady comes up to your gate with a BP that shows MSP-AMS and your flight is going MSP-ATL.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

BD338

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Wouldn't it be logical, if they wanted to publicise the benefits of this new layout on their blog, to show what a multi-segment itinerary looks like?

That's the bit I would like to see as well. How does it look when 4 segments are on the same BP? Is it easy to pick out the relevant info (gate, time, seat etc.) for each segment or is it crowded on the sheet? Though it sounds like this is only a partial roll out and they haven't got that piece figured out yet. Beyond that, it's a boarding pass to get me on a plane, can't say I care too much what it looks like as long as it works!

syncmaster

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Exactly, not many people look at their boarding pass anyways, they're more likely to look at the monitors throughout the airport. But every time you ask for help the person who does wants to see it.

It will be especially nice when there is just one for multiple segments. Keep up the good work Delta!

MSPNWA

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I've never been a fan of having multiple segments on one boarding pass, so I'm curious to see what the new style looks like. Wish they could have shown us right away. With just one segment all that white space seems like a waste if you ask me. But in the end it's just a boarding pass. The type of paper it's written on is almost more important (bring back card stock!).

chimborazo

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:18 pm

My thoughts on the information printed "sideways" is that when a passenger holds the BP out to be scanned, they will most likely have the bar-code pointing toward the GA. If it doesn't scan etc, the BP is then "automatically" in the right position for the GA to read the details without turning it. Might seem trivial but may just help turn-around times.
Even if the passenger is just at an info desk etc. they tend to pass the document over in the same manner.

Indy

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 5):
The only people I can imagine who will be displeased will be the BP wavers who like to show off their status or the fact they're sitting in 1A to everyone.

Oh so true. They stand around near the gate with their pass and gold/diamond tag clearly visible on their bag and talk nice and loud on their phone so everyone around them can hear how important they think they are. But anyway lol. Since DL is wanting to work on efficiency maybe we can eliminate the check-in kiosk for people who are checking bags. If you have to see an agent anyway and present ID anyway why waste time with a kiosk? Just give the agent your ID and let him check you in. He/she is probably 10x faster than the people trying to figure out how to use the machines. Such an unnecessary step. But I do like the single pass idea.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

alaskaqantas

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Quoting plateman (Thread starter):
Also are any other airlines planning on doing this?

AS already does this already. I think their ticket system is really quite nice and easy to use. I have attached a picture of an old boarding pass of mine. I like that Delta put the arrival time on the ticket... nice touch!

I like delta's new ticket for the most part.

Quoting BD338 (Reply 14):
Wouldn't it be logical, if they wanted to publicise the benefits of this new layout on their blog, to show what a multi-segment itinerary looks like?

That's the bit I would like to see as well. How does it look when 4 segments are on the same BP? Is it easy to pick out the relevant info

I agree, I'd like to see more segments.

~Cheers-
~~Kyle
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Viscount724

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 pm

My comment is that I would hope they stick with card stock with all the use these BPs will get.
Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 16):
The type of paper it's written on is almost more important (bring back card stock!).

Much cheaper and more environmentally-friendly to use regular paper. KLM uses very flimsy paper for their boarding passes and they survive just fine.

What percentage of DL boarding passes are even still printed at airports? Would assume a high (and growing) pecentage of passengers these days uses Internet check-in. (or get their boarding passes on their mobile phones), and the U.S. is generally ahead of most of the rest of the world in adoption of new technologies.

I haven't checked in at an airport in about 3 years, except for sometimes reprinting my boarding pass when I wanted to change seats.

UALFAson

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:30 pm

I like that it's a refreshed look. Like others have mentioned, my concerns are:

1) For non airline junkies, who knows or cares about the 3-letter airport codes? I like the format, but instead of just printing "MSP -> AMS" why not just print "AMSTERDAM"?

2) I wish the seat assignment were bigger. Even as just a traveler and not a flight attendant, I can't count the number of people to whom I've had to explain what their seat number was.

3) I don't understand why boarding pass info and departure monitor info don't better allign, specifically why airlines (not dust DL) choose to minimize the flight number and/or the actual departure time vs boarding time? Those are the ways to differentiate among multiple flights to the same destination on the monitors, but also represent some of the hardest to find info on a boarding pass.

Not trying to slam DL, I just find it interesting that the info they gleaned from their surveys of passengers and airport employees doesn't correspond in the slightest to my experiences as a frequent flyer.

OH, and I almost forgot: YES, bring back the card stock! (On many of the flimsy paper ones the ink can fade within hours or days, making them challenging as a souvenier or even to save for an expense report.)
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

BMI727

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 pm

That design sucks. Make the flight number, time and gate bigger, since that's what the passenger needs to see. Make the status and seat assignment bigger since that's what airline employees need to see. Get rid of the dumb airport code in large font. Even the dumbest of dumb passengers know where they're headed and even if they don't they should be looking for a flight number and not a destination.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

N1120A

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):
Much cheaper and more environmentally-friendly to use regular paper.

Regular paper and that thermal toilet paper are still different. Regular paper would hold up much better.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):
What percentage of DL boarding passes are even still printed at airports? Would assume a high (and growing) pecentage of passengers these days uses Internet check-in. (or get their boarding passes on their mobile phones), and the U.S. is generally ahead of most of the rest of the world in adoption of new technologies.

When I look around United's various terminals, I still see the vast majority carrying airport boarding passes.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 22):
That design sucks. Make the flight number, time and gate bigger, since that's what the passenger needs to see. Make the status and seat assignment bigger since that's what airline employees need to see. Get rid of the dumb airport code in large font. Even the dumbest of dumb passengers know where they're headed and even if they don't they should be looking for a flight number and not a destination.

Unless your blind, you can't miss any of the info. Your going to be drawn to the "info" line anyway and read from left to right; it's all in one line now rather than all over the boarding pass.

ghifty

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 21):
1) For non airline junkies, who knows or cares about the 3-letter airport codes? I like the format, but instead of just printing "MSP -> AMS" why not just print "AMSTERDAM"?

I don't think the IATA code is meant for pax. Probably for the gate agrnt to do a quick once over.

The white space isn't a major issue, it's the fact that they have made the useless information huge and the relevant information tiny. I really don't see how that's an improvement.

FIrst of all, it's a boarding pass. Does it really matter how aesthetically-pleasing it is? The old, and new, DL BPs do their jobs just fine.

Second of all, what is "huge"? The "MSP-AMS"? That's for the agent, I'm assuming, to take a quick glance and immediately know if the person holding the BP is waiting in the right line. This way, he doesn't need to look at small text. The "tiny" text, as someone already stated, isn't tiny at actual size.. there's a square/rectangle around it to emphasize it, too.

I'd also like to add that the old BP has more irrelevant information. What is "Class T"? What is "Zone 3"? What is "DL255727432" and "QEML1H" and "1 006 2372832 [..."? Nothing, to the average passenger. We might be able to interpret it, but the plain truth is that "Zone Premium" makes more sense than "Zone 3" and "Business" makes more sense than "Class T."

The new one is clear, "you are departing Amsterdam. Boarding is at 2:35PM, at Gate B23, your seat is in the Premium Zone, 5A. In case you want to know, arrival time is 6:35AM."

Old one reads like, "your seat is 5B, Zone 3, Delta 4358 leaves June 23 (okay, it's obvious that the flight departs this day..). You sit in Class T (avg. pax will worry about what "T" means), and depart at 10:30AM................................... oh by the way, boarding is at 9:30."

[Edited 2012-02-01 15:48:37]
Fly Delta Jets

reifel

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 pm

The Multi segments one boarding pass is a nice thing. It's quite common over here in Europe. I.e. SAS (and their partners, i.e. JK - now bankrupt - does this). AF does it as well. Since days are gone when boarding passes are teared off (well quite a few airlines still do it, or their handlind agent, i.e. I was travelling with MA from FRA to BUD -> teared off, BUD to FRA -> not teared off) you don't need such a big boarding pass anymore.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 25):

Exactly. At the end of the day, with boarding passes, less is more...the the extra junk really isn't needed. BTW, the need for the GA to actually utilize much of the old info will go out the window this year. Delta is moving away from the age old command promt type RES/ticketing system to a point and click one. Checkin and ticketing time will go down quite a bit with the new system.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 am

Here's my bp from today. Like I said, unless your blind, IDK what the issue is with the print size. Could it have been a hair bigger? Sure. But the location of the new info will work IMHO. Again, looking at the old one and new one, all the relevant info is all in line.

DL747400

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 am

- Sideways text for information like the confirmation number that would be useful if a GA needed to look up the booking. Why not use some of the vast amount of empty (horizontal) space?

There are other plans for that currently empty space. Multi-flight BP is one of them. Other items coming too. Stay tuned.

Quoting BD338 (Reply 14):

The multi-flight BP has not been rolled out yet. That is coming in Phase 2. For now (Phase 1), you have the new basic design, but you will continue to receive a single BP for each flight.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

cloudboy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 am

I am flying Friday, so will have to check it out then for real. Some impressions from what I see so far:

I dont mind the font size, but do not like how the Boarding, gate, zone, and seat are all together with equal spacing and sizing. Makes it harder to pick one out at a quick glance.

I do not like the boarding time, at least not as the only easily seen time. They cant even get that right anyways. I really want to see the actual departure time much more prominently.

I personally dont like multi-leg passes.First, when you are quickly looking at the boarding pass, you have to stop and look closely to figure out what leg you are on. Second, for frequent fliers especially, you often end up with a colletion of boaring passes. With the city pare as the prominent bit, I can see some confusion coming on to make sure you have the right pass.

The seat really needs to be much more prominent. Much more - that is the biggest thing you look at the pass to confirm.

Can we say - space for ads?

And as for the paper choice, I really wish they would use heavier paper stock. The thin paper really is too flimsy - it gets all crinkled up when sticking it in your pocket.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

BMI727

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 24):
Your going to be drawn to the "info" line anyway and read from left to right; it's all in one line now rather than all over the boarding pass.

It should be bigger so people don't have to look for it. That information is more relevant than putting ATL>AMS in inch high letters, which is useless.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 30):
And as for the paper choice, I really wish they would use heavier paper stock. The thin paper really is too flimsy - it gets all crinkled up when sticking it in your pocket.

Delta has been using this type of paper for the kiosks forever. At certain gates with the old printers and at the ticket counter, card stock is still used.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 am

Sorry for the back to back posts..

I do not like the boarding time, at least not as the only easily seen time. They cant even get that right anyways. I really want to see the actual departure time much more prominently.

In this day and age, airlines does not want the customer to focus on the departure time. That's how folks get left. They really, REALLY want you at the gate as soon as possible; preferrably 35 minutes prior to departure-or boarding time. As it is, our flights generally close out at D10 (10 minutes prior to departure). The new rule is that the jetway MUST be off the aircraft at -3 or better. This has driven the on-time stats for most of 2011.

I can't tell you how many times i've overheard passengers say "I have time. My flight doesnt leave until 8:30 (saying this when it's 8:20). No, you're about to be left behind...)

The seat really needs to be much more prominent. Much more - that is the biggest thing you look at the pass to confirm.

What do you mean, exactly?

Cubsrule

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 33):
They really, REALLY want you at the gate as soon as possible; preferrably 35 minutes prior to departure-or boarding time.

Fair enough, but they should say that rather than posting boarding times that are sheer fantasy (sometimes even before the airplane is scheduled to arrive).

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 32):
Delta has been using this type of paper for the kiosks forever.

DL's paper works pretty well. I've had trouble with fading on some other carriers (which, as pointed out above, can be sub-optimal for expense reports and sometimes even for reading the boarding card toward the end of a multi-leg journey).

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 33):
What do you mean, exactly?

The whole point of having a boarding pass - at least after boarding - is to remember your seat assignment.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BlatantEcho

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 am

Just got one for PDX-JFK tomorrow, looks nice, caught me off guard for a second when it printed.

Simple is good
They're not handing trophies out today

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 34):
Fair enough, but they should say that rather than posting boarding times that are sheer fantasy (sometimes even before the airplane is scheduled to arrive).

Yeah, those are the best. 30 minute advanced boarding time on a CRJ turn with 20 minutes scheduled on the ground.
The boarding time listed for a connection that is before the arrival time of the first segment usually freaks out novice passengers. They have a legal 35 minute connection in MSP, yet their board time is 40 minutes in advance of the second flight.

DL's paper works pretty well. I've had trouble with fading on some other carriers (which, as pointed out above, can be sub-optimal for expense reports and sometimes even for reading the boarding card toward the end of a multi-leg journey).

The old paper card stock is not coming back. There was a pretty significant cost savings to the tune of several million dollars annually for switchting to the roll-style paper. Plus all of the kiosks and new printers are set-up in this fashion.

I really just think the seat assignment box needs to be as big as it is currently on the old boarding pass. Ma an Pa Kettle are staring at their boarding pass when walking down the aisle. They can't differentiate gate B3 from seat 33F.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 am

The whole point of having a boarding pass - at least after boarding - is to remember your seat assignment.

Yeah, that I understand. It's how the member worded it that got me confused. I wasn't sure if he was referring the the GA or passenger.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 36):
I really just think the seat assignment box needs to be as big as it is currently on the old boarding pass. Ma an Pa Kettle are staring at their boarding pass when walking down the aisle. They can't differentiate gate B3 from seat 33F.

And believe me when I say it's a work in progress. The overall design will not change but there will be tweaks here and there. They're already taking suggestions through the blog (they do actually take it seriously). There was also a recent on-board snack refresh but another won't be too far off which is not normal for DL. They currently have an in-flight field team working on customer comments/suggestions for what they'd like to see on the aircraft as far as snacks/meals/amenities. There's a lot of great things planned for 2012 that's been in the works for a while or just ramping up.

mayor

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:36 am

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 21):

OH, and I almost forgot: YES, bring back the card stock! (On many of the flimsy paper ones the ink can fade within hours or days, making them challenging as a souvenier or even to save for an expense report.)
Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):

Regular paper and that thermal toilet paper are still different. Regular paper would hold up much better.

I'm guessing that at most gates and ticket counters, the BP printers are all thermal..........I don't think they'll change back to the old stock and printers, now.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:42 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 38):

I'm guessing that at most gates and ticket counters, the BP printers are all thermal..........I don't think they'll change back to the old stock and printers, now.

It's hit and miss. Most of the gates in Atlanta still have the old printers that use card stock. However, they all do have the new printers too (most gates have both is what i'm saying I guess). I lost my boarding pass just last week and asked for a new one and it was on card stock. Also most of the outstations still use card stock at the check-in counter and gates. All "Need Help" centers in the hubs and big stations have the new printers at the counter.

ghifty

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 28):

Here's my bp from today. Like I said, unless your blind, IDK what the issue is with the print size. Could it have been a hair bigger? Sure. But the location of the new info will work IMHO. Again, looking at the old one and new one, all the relevant info is all in line.

Looks nice in person, er, in real life?

Looks like they used Windows' "Segoe WP" font for the "ATL -- MSP." Nice touch, friendly and cheerful font. Nice departure from the yucky system font the previous BPs used!

I feel like if they have the seat assignment in a larger/bolder font that will somehow cost them more money. Yes, a small amount.. but it's still $$$.

Most people throw away their boarding pass post-flight. Also, on a flight with DL from LAX-ATL-BCN, and then back, I noticed that on the LAX-outbound flight the paper was the thin paper pictured above. On the LAX-inbound flight, the paper was thicker cardstock.

Can anybody confirm that it's up to the airline, or the airport?

I dont mind the font size, but do not like how the Boarding, gate, zone, and seat are all together with equal spacing and sizing. Makes it harder to pick one out at a quick glance.

They were all equally sized and spaced on the older BP, so I don't see how it's "harder."  
Fly Delta Jets

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:24 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 40):
Can anybody confirm that it's up to the airline, or the airport?

See reply 39 below

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 39):
It's hit and miss. Most of the gates in Atlanta still have the old printers that use card stock. However, they all do have the new printers too (most gates have both is what i'm saying I guess). I lost my boarding pass just last week and asked for a new one and it was on card stock. Also most of the outstations still use card stock at the check-in counter and gates. All "Need Help" centers in the hubs and big stations have the new printers at the counter.

It ust depends on what the station has.

zkeoj

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 am

Quoting alaskaqantas (Reply 19):
AS already does this already

yup, for years already. And I had this already in 1999 with NZ domestically and in 2004 with Origin Pacific. SAS does this as well (incl. Wideroe).  

Cheers
micha

katwspotter

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh, and just to add, although minor and doesnt really matter here on A.net but its now called a "Boarding Document" and not a "Boarding Pass" anymore according to the DL memo...interesting switch in wording.
A/C I have worked in ATW - SF340 E145 CRJ2/7/9 DC93/4/5 A319/20 MD83 B738 B752/3 B763/4 A333

jetlanta

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:13 pm

42 replies on a new Boarding Pass design. Gotta love a.net!  

quiet1

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 28):
Here's my bp from today

Is there some programmatic limitation that prevents using BOLD fonts? e.g. That large, spindly ATL > MSP would be perhaps even more visible in a bolded, but smaller font.

Also, the information important to the passenger: boarding time, gate, zone and seat number would stand out if bolded. (I mean the actual data, not the heading saying "Boarding," etc)

I'm surprised that NRPS passenger can order SPML, too, especially in Y. Isn't that a B.O.B. flight?

mayor

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Not sure what the big deal is about the readability. With or without my glasses, I can read it just fine and it does seem to be in a more organized manner than scattershot, like it was before.

b727fa

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 pm

As an FA I LOVE the new format. The city code is great. How many times I have a "seat dupe" that's actually the wrong BP? The "BOARDING TIME" is awesome! If you get to the gate by then, you're fine. It drives the pax to promptness and a more accurate sense of "how much time do I have to do X before I have to board?" THAT'S what is relevant to pax. And it drives our OT. The seat COULD be bigger...but I think it's clear enough: CITY, WHEN to board, WHERE to board and WHERE to sit.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

katwspotter

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 45):
I'm surprised that NRPS passenger can order SPML, too, especially in Y. Isn't that a B.O.B. flight?

I think all NRPS say that. I flew to MSP as a NRPS yesterday as well and mine said that too and IIRC all my other NRPS trips had it on there too. Dont know why, just is I guess. Maybe FlyASAGuy2005 knows why cuz he obviously flies NRPS a lot more than I do.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 45):

You know to be honest I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it as far as that info being bolded so I agree with you. Although I'm not sure what the limitations are if any. As for the special meals remark on positive space boarding passes, it shows on all like Katwspotter said but I asked this question before. I was told its a hold-over from the old positive space program. Some years back before DL started the paid stand-by upgrade program for B, H, M, Q, Y tickets (now includes K) enough meals were only loaded for the amount of revenue F passengers booked for the flight plus medallions. With positive space passengers this remark would alert the system to load an extra meal (it kneww it wasn't a special meal because it was PS travel). Its also why the non-rev standby list used to be called the Meal List although there were times when enough wasn't loaded anyway. Now, DL caters F to capacity regardless of the empty seats.

Just a bit of trivial