Cubsrule
Topic Author

UA To Improve ORD Terminal 2

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 am

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that UA plans improvements to Terminal 2 at ORD to include a new, larger United Club and 10 new jet bridges.

This will substantially reduce the amount of ground boarding at Terminal 2, but I don't believe it will eliminate it; I believe there are 15 or so ground boarding positions on F currently (3 at F1, 3 at F2, 2 at F6, 1 at F10, 3 at F11 and 3 at F12). There are also 3 or so ground boarding positions on the "banana peel" on B, which I assume will remain unchanged.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

boeingkid

RE: UA To Improve ORD Terminal 2

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 am

Glad to hear that Term 2 is the oldest terminal at ORD you can tell by the low ceilings

United1

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting boeingkid (Reply 1):
Glad to hear that Term 2 is the oldest terminal at ORD you can tell by the low ceilings

Actually it's the same age at Term 3....both were built back around 1960. When AA did its remodel around 1990 they put in the domed ceilings. Concourse L is the newest part of the T2/T3 complex built in 1983. UAs Terminal 1 dates from 1986 and T5 is 1993.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

elbandgeek

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:11 am

Since the new terminal at MDW was built, the facilities at both Chicago airports have been for the most part, pretty good (though I wouldn't call them world class like I would DTW) with T2 being a the notable sore thumb. I'd love nothing more than to see it razed to the ground. I was thinking about it a while ago and I was wondering how well something like this would work to get it done.
- Construct a temporary (or maybe not) concourse for UAX west of C after 32L/14R is shut down
- Find any spot, if only temporary for DL, US, and AC to move to (They can probably squeeze AC somewhere in 1 and if AA downsizes at all more space may open up in 3 again)
- Take a wrecking ball to 2 and build a new international terminal that can handle UA widebodies (and their alliance partners that currently fly out of 1)
- Reconfigure the west side of C where they currently have widebodies into an RJ facility.

AA would probably want in on this as well but it would all depend on space. They might be able to build it bigger if they also build a temp concourse for eagle and rebuilt G as part of T2, but that would depend on them having money in the future.

Of course this is probably a pipe dream so I shouldn't stress too much about logistics.

[Edited 2012-02-03 20:11:51]

AussieItaliano

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:17 am

Thank God! That place is a dump; I hope they do something with it. Although, from reading the article, it doesn't seem like they intend to do much other than add jet bridges and a new United Club.

chootie, I hear ya about IAD. The C/D mid-field terminal is another dump.

Although, there are worse!
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

Schweigend

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Thread starter):
This will substantially reduce the amount of ground boarding at Terminal 2, but I don't believe it will eliminate it; I believe there are 15 or so ground boarding positions on F currently (3 at F1, 3 at F2, 2 at F6, 1 at F10, 3 at F11 and 3 at F12). There are also 3 or so ground boarding positions on the "banana peel" on B, which I assume will remain unchanged.

UA might be thinking of reducing RJ flights and having more mainline. Could the F area gates you mention be used for mainline aircraft instead, even widebodies? A 3x larger United Club could support that....

I'm pretty ignorant about ORD ops, having only flown out of there twice.

fun2fly

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:41 am

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 4):
Thank God! That place is a dump; I hope they do something with it. Although, from reading the article, it doesn't seem like they intend to do much other than add jet bridges and a new United Club.

Never really understood F. It's a dump as you say, worst in the US? Pretty close. Certainly the worst UA club. Hard to imagine that UA would rather transfer PAX there vs. DEN or CLE which are shrinking. Not to mention, they do not have to lay capital out at either of those locations to make it happen. Probably gives us some insight into the plans for those locations however. I'm not sure if all mainline would work either in F...where to put the people and how to get so many more from B/C to F? Perfume on the pig in my mind.

Type-Rated

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 am

Terminal 2 is the same age as 3 & 4, but the concourse is newer. The original concourse for what's now called T2 held NW, EA, CO and BN. Wasn't that razed when they were building T1 and this concourse is the replacement?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

United1

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 7):
Terminal 2 is the same age as 3 & 4, but the concourse is newer. The original concourse for what's now called T2 held NW, EA, CO and BN. Wasn't that razed when they were building T1 and this concourse is the replacement?

There is no Terminal 4.

E and F were original concourses...D was razed when they built T1.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Quoting Schweigend (Reply 5):
Could the F area gates you mention be used for mainline aircraft instead, even widebodies? A 3x larger United Club could support that....

There are F gates that can support mainline. 14 and 7 can with no modification (14 can take a 744 IIRC). 12 could probably take 2 mainline aircraft with some jetbridge rearrangement.

WA707atMSP

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 7):
Terminal 2 is the same age as 3 & 4, but the concourse is newer. The original concourse for what's now called T2

I believe the original ORD was Concourse A, which was the commuter terminal in the 1960s and 1970s before being razed, Concourses B/C, which became the international terminal before being razed to build the UA terminal, and Concourse D, which, as you said, was used by NW, CO, BN, EA, and PI, before also being razed to build T1.

T2 and T3, and Concourses E/F, G, and H/K, were built a few years after Concourses A-D.

There was a T4 at one time; it was the temporary international terminal in the basement of the parking garage, that was used from when Concourses B/C were razed in 1984/85 until T5 opened in 1992/93.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

Type-Rated

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Weird how there is no 4. What terminal does that concourse off the round section belong to? That's the one that used to house TW? Terminal 2 or 3.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

tommy767

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 3):
Since the new terminal at MDW was built, the facilities at both Chicago airports have been for the most part, pretty good (though I wouldn't call them world class like I would DTW) with T2 being a the notable sore thumb. I'd love nothing more than to see it razed to the ground. I was thinking about it a while ago and I was wondering how well something like this would work to get it done.

UA's terminal, whichever one that is (I think terminal 1) has held up EXTREMELY well for it's age. I think it's from 1989 and it's still cutting edge looking.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ckfred

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 3):
Find any spot, if only temporary for DL, US, and AC to move to (They can probably squeeze AC somewhere in 1 and if AA downsizes at all more space may open up in 3 again)

AA CEO Tom Horton expects departures out of the cornerstones, inlcuding ORD, to increase by 20% by 2017. So not only will AA not be vacating any space, but a few of the jet bridges that have been taken down may need to be reinstalled.

flylku

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting boeingkid (Reply 1):
you can tell by the low ceilings

To me, more glass and higher ceilings are the improvement in the current generation of gate areas. More open space with shops and restaurants are a big plus also.
...are we there yet?

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 11):
What terminal does that concourse off the round section belong to? That's the one that used to house TW? Terminal 2 or 3.

Terminal 3, but I think that's only because it houses MQ. It's equidistant from E/F and H/K.

ytib

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 12):
Weird how there is no 4.

Terminal 4 existed from 1984 to 1993 and was the international terminal which is now the location transportation center in the parking garage.

fjnovak1

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 pm

That's good...Terminal F is a complete dump. Worse than the old NW facilities at DTW before the midfield terminal opened. When the UAX ops start to get backed up its like re-enacting the fall of Saigon each day.
Go Blue!!

ordbosshog

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting fjnovak1 (Reply 17):
That's good...Terminal F is a complete dump. Worse than the old NW facilities at DTW before the midfield terminal opened. When the UAX ops start to get backed up its like re-enacting the fall of Saigon each day.

I prefer Pearl Harbor....

PITrules

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting Schweigend (Reply 5):
Could the F area gates you mention be used for mainline aircraft instead, even widebodies?
Quoting fun2fly (Reply 6):
. I'm not sure if all mainline would work either in F...where to put the people and how to get so many more from B/C to F? Perfume on the pig in my mind.

Terminal 2 in its heyday, all mainline and plenty of widebodies (although those are centered on concourse E):

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/IMG_4235.jpg
FLYi

LOWS

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 12):
UA's terminal, whichever one that is (I think terminal 1) has held up EXTREMELY well for it's age. I think it's from 1989 and it's still cutting edge looking.

If you don't mind that the waiting areas are too small and it's packed most of the time, it's great.

william

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:25 pm

The terminal is a throw back to the 60s,which in itself is cool. When I went through there in 87, when it was UA's home and T1 was being built, I thought I was walking through the set of the movie Airport...............Pretty cool really, even with its low ceilings and plastic chairs..............yes they had plastic chairs in the waiting areas.

WROORD

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 pm

There are no plastc chairs in T2. I just went through there couple of weeks ago. The problem with O'Hare is that it was designed for a different era when people walked off the street straight to the gate. Now with all that security there is no space left for waiting area or restaurants. Even the newest T5 has very limited space at check-in and virtually nothing once you go through security. T3 was moved a bit towards the street making the departure and arrival hall a bit bigger, but nothing was done at T2.

VC10er

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 pm

What are the plans for the small and worn United International First Class lounge?

It really is so, so far behind the rest of the industries International First Class lounges (IAD TOO)
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

CWAFlyer

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:21 am

Parts of T2 were renovated about 7 years ago. The carpet was removed from the F concourse and replaced with tile. The area past the O'Hare plane where the sushi is had the ceiling area fixed up about 4 years ago. That part of the terminal just past the security checkpoint by Starbucks and Johnny Rocket's isn't horrible. The rest is a dump even after the improvements. As several have said there is very little seating in the gate areas. If it is during a very busy time of the day, people are often standing or sitting in the hallway. With jetways in only a handful of UAX gates which typically are used for the CRJ700's (first class), the passengers often have to schlep their carryons down a flights of stairs and walk outside to their airplane. The area around F1 is the worst with the long walk past the bagroom and often construction projects going on.

Quite honestly, the only other worse US gateway airport that UA uses as a hub is LAX.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 22):
T3 was moved a bit towards the street making the departure and arrival hall a bit bigger, but nothing was done at T2.

Actually, Terminal 2 got New Face of O'Hare as well (around the same time period, 2006-2007 or so).

william

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 19):
Terminal 2 in its heyday, all mainline and plenty of widebodies (although those are centered on concourse E):

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/IMG_4235.jpg

Happy times.......was a pretty efficient concourse to make connections.

VC10er

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 am

What are the plans for the small and worn United International First Class lounge?

It really is so, so far behind the rest of the industries International First Class lounges (IAD TOO)
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

nycdave

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:52 am

I really am wondering just how much can be done about the terminal spaces at ORD -- and who would pay for it.

Right now it seems like the main capital improvement project for Chicago Airports is the runway reconfiguration at ORD. They are doing renovation/improvement at T-5, as well, but that's clearly a much easier and cheaper proposition than dealing with the main complex.

I'm wondering whether, when the runway reconfiguration is done, if we might see some plans floated for re-arranging the terminal complex. Thoughts?

Hypoxik

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:26 am

F11 has 4 spot A - D same with F12 A - D. Yet A has a jetway.
California Native. KIWA, PHOG, KEWR, KIAH, KLAX, KIAH, KEWR, KORD, KIAD, KORD, KSFO, KLAX

milesrich

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 2):
Actually it's the same age at Term 3....both were built back around 1960. When AA did its remodel around 1990 they put in the domed ceilings. Concourse L is the newest part of the T2/T3 complex built in 1983. UAs Terminal 1 dates from 1986 and T5 is 1993.

They were opened in the spring, I believe March or April of 1962. When I moved to and flew to IDL from ORD, on UA 860, on 4 Jan 62, the new terminals were not open. Four months later, I flew into ORD from IDL on AA and on to MLI on UA, and the new terminals were open, and at the time, they were considered the most modern airline terminals in the US if not the world.

SurfandSnow

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

T2 is absolutely abominable. It is one of the most cramped, dirty, crowded, overloaded, worst terminal facilities in the country - and most others on that list, like IAH Terminal B, JFK T3, and LAX T6 are in the process of getting completely replaced. The structure itself was never meant to cope with modern security or handle the throughput that it now serves. It is sad that a prestigious airline like UA is fighting tooth and nail against a fresh new terminal at ORD - which they could probably use - but happy to subject their pax to this nightmarish facility at one of their most important global hubs. These improvements will not solve the fundamental issues, namely a lack of seating and lack of amenities for those that don't have club access. We don't all have time to sit down at the sports bar or endure the long wait for McDonald's if we have a tight connection or are running late for our flight.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

tommy767

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 30):
Concourse L is the newest part of the T2/T3 complex built in 1983.

This used to be the Delta Flight Center back in the 1980s, correct? Then AA took in over sometime in the 1990s?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

FWAERJ

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 32):

Quoting milesrich (Reply 30):
Concourse L is the newest part of the T2/T3 complex built in 1983.

This used to be the Delta Flight Center back in the 1980s, correct? Then AA took in over sometime in the 1990s?

It opened up as the Delta Flight Center, and DL then subleased some gates to AA in the early 1990s. DL turned over their T3 leases to the Chicago Department of Aviation and moved to T2 with NW. Subsequently, NK expanded, VX entered ORD, B6 moved from T2, and the AA subleases were transfered to the CDA.

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 31):
T2 is absolutely abominable. It is one of the most cramped, dirty, crowded, overloaded, worst terminal facilities in the country - and most others on that list, like IAH Terminal B, JFK T3, and LAX T6 are in the process of getting completely replaced.

LAX T6 is not getting completely replaced. Gutted and massively renovated, yes, but not replaced.

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 31):
It is sad that a prestigious airline like UA is fighting tooth and nail against a fresh new terminal at ORD - which they could probably use - but happy to subject their pax to this nightmarish facility at one of their most important global hubs.

The ideal solution, IMO, is building the ORD west terminal exclusively for United and Star Alliance carriers. The CDA, however, wants the west terminal to be open to new and limited-access ORD entrants only. It isn't the new terminal plans that make UA mad, but the way that the CDA wants to use the new terminal. Hence why UA (and AA) oppose the ORD west terminal.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

jfklganyc

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

"Terminal 2 in its heyday, all mainline and plenty of widebodies (although those are centered on concourse E)"

Makes you wonder how this industry went so wrong. What an awesome, awesome shot

tommy767

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 34):

I had no idea that terminal even existed in that form...wow..

But honestly, I'm sure it had to be awfully cramped and completely outgrown by the 80s -- Denver/Stapleton style.

So what did UA ultimately end up doing? Open up their current terminal in the late 1980s and keep around a section of it?

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 33):
It opened up as the Delta Flight Center, and DL then subleased some gates to AA in the early 1990s. DL turned over their T3 leases to the Chicago Department of Aviation and moved to T2 with NW. Subsequently, NK expanded, VX entered ORD, B6 moved from T2, and the AA subleases were transfered to the CDA.

Yeah I recall boarding an AA flight out of L in early 2009. Back then AA and IB were subleasing a few of the gates and DL still had around 5 gates to themselves. Then I guess in mid 2009 then moved in with NW. I know they have 8 gates in ex-NW land but did NW really operated 8 gates out of ORD before the merger? They didn't have that many flights in the 2000s out of ORD.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ericaasen

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 35):
Then I guess in mid 2009 then moved in with NW. I know they have 8 gates in ex-NW land but did NW really operated 8 gates out of ORD before the merger? They didn't have that many flights in the 2000s out of ORD.

NW subleased 4 to CO and now DL subleases E7 to US.

United1

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:05 am

I know they have 8 gates in ex-NW land but did NW really operated 8 gates out of ORD before the merger? They didn't have that many flights in the 2000s out of ORD.

They used to have more than 8...the city got on their case for under-utilizing their gates and basically told them use them or they would take the gates back. CO at the time was out on the end of F...CO subleased their gates to UA and moved in with their partner NW solving the utilization issue.

IIRC the city has a clause in all of their gate leases requiring 5 flights or more on average out of an airlines leased gates.

United1

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:10 am

So what did UA ultimately end up doing? Open up their current terminal in the late 1980s and keep around a section of it?

Basically...by the time T1 entered UA had already outgrown it and kept their lease on some of the lower gates on E and F. US and CO were out on the end of F and NW had the end of E.

milesrich

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 am

Originally, where United's 1980's Terminal 1 is located is where the original ORD terminal was. When what is now referred to as T2 and T3 were opened in 1962, the old terminal was made the International Terminal. The 1962 Complex consisted of two terminals connected by walkways with the Seven Continents Restaurant complex in between them off of which was the G Concourse originally occupied by TWA and TCA (later Air Canada). The D Concourse was built off the connection walkway between the International Terminal and Terminal 2 and was the home of Continental, Northwest, Braniff and Eastern, all of whom had their counters in T2. United occupied the rest of T2 and all of E & F with Ozark, but Ozark only had two gates F7 & F9. The Red Carpet Room was located where E and F split. Initially, NW had flights on E, but they soon moved to D. Terminal 3 had the TWA and TCA counters along with North Central, Lake Central, American, and Delta. The later four using the J & K concourses which split like E & F did. The L concourse was built at the end of the T3 last and occupied by Delta, but I believe AA always used a gate or 2. As Delta dropped their traditional Chicago routes (flights to STL-MEM-MSY-IAH-LIT-JAX-TPA-FLL-MCO-MIA-PBI) and limited service to their hubs at ATL, DFW, and SLC, the need for all the L gates was not there and AA took over more of them. When the new Terminal 1 opened, United vacated E & F freeing up gates for NW and other carriers. United may originally have kept a few E gates, but I think they were used after their new terminal was open for a while

WA707atMSP

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 39):
Ozark only had two gates F7 & F9.

Ozark's inability to expand their ORD facilities in the 1970s caused some tension between OZ and UA. In the Dec 1976 issue of Air Transport World, OZ's president is quoted as saying OZ was encouraging all passengers going to HNL to take OZ to DFW, then BN to HNL, rather than taking OZ to ORD and UA the rest of the way, because OZ was upset about their inadequate facilities at ORD.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

ckfred

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting WROORD (Reply 22):
T3 was moved a bit towards the street making the departure and arrival hall a bit bigger, but nothing was done at T2.

In both T2 and T3, the curtain wall was ripped off. The floors and roofs were extended to the front sidewalk. Then, new curtain walls were installed. The gap between the front sidewalks and the curtain wall was to allow vehicle exhaust to escape.

Between modern exhaust systems and the reduction in bus traffic (most courtesy buses, other than rental car companies now pick up passengers in the parking garage), the belief was that the empty space wasn't needed for ventilation.

Back in the 1990s, the City of Chicago had a grand plan for the terminal complex. UA/UA Express domestic would remain in T1.

T2 would be rebuilt for UA international/Star arrivals and departures (such as LH and ANA). T3 would be for AA/AE domestic, with some updating and possibly adding a few gates.

A new T4, to be built where the heating and cooling building is located, would handle AA international and oneworld (such as BA, IB and JA). It would also be physically linked to T3

T5 would handle foreign carriers not aligned with Star and oneworld.

A new T6 would be built to handle all domestic other carriers. At the time, this would have been CO, DL, NW, US, and TW. There would have been room for B6 and other LCCs. It would have been built as a stop on the ATS between T5 and Remote Parking.

Between the suburbs complaining about the additional noise from the increased flights, as well as the economic downturn in 2000 and early 2001, the plan died.

jsnww81

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 41):
Back in the 1990s, the City of Chicago had a grand plan for the terminal complex. UA/UA Express domestic would remain in T1.

T2 would be rebuilt for UA international/Star arrivals and departures (such as LH and ANA). T3 would be for AA/AE domestic, with some updating and possibly adding a few gates.

A new T4, to be built where the heating and cooling building is located, would handle AA international and oneworld (such as BA, IB and JA). It would also be physically linked to T3

T5 would handle foreign carriers not aligned with Star and oneworld.

A new T6 would be built to handle all domestic other carriers. At the time, this would have been CO, DL, NW, US, and TW. There would have been room for B6 and other LCCs. It would have been built as a stop on the ATS between T5 and Remote Parking.

This was the Global Gateway plan. It was developed separately from the airfield reconfiguration. You've covered all the components nicely... the T2 concourse would be demolished and rebuilt with a shorter pier (and only slight bifurcation at the end) to accommodate widebodies and international flights. T3 would remain largely as is, although there were plans to build a dog-leg extension to Concourse K with about 4-5 new gates. Some of the existing T3 gates were going to be repositioned to allow for more mainline aircraft (which seems laughable now given how pathetically low AA's mainline count is at ORD today). T4 would have incorporated Concourse L and a new extension where the heating-cooling plant is.

ZBA2CGX

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 42):
This was the Global Gateway plan.

I believe it is the World Gateway plan.
Here is the record of decision (140 pages of fun) http://www.faa.gov/airports/environm...od_chicago_ohare_world_gateway.pdf
page 12 has a picture of the intended layout

jsnww81

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting ZBA2CGX (Reply 43):
I believe it is the World Gateway plan.

World Gateway, you're right. My mistake. Funny how long ago 2000 now seems!

OzarkD9S

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 40):

Ozark's inability to expand their ORD facilities in the 1970s caused some tension between OZ and UA. In the Dec 1976 issue of Air Transport World, OZ's president is quoted as saying OZ was encouraging all passengers going to HNL to take OZ to DFW, then BN to HNL, rather than taking OZ to ORD and UA the rest of the way, because OZ was upset about their inadequate facilities at ORD.

Total flashback! I had that issue for years...got lost somewhere along the line. Interestingly it also mentioned that OZ's number 3 station was PIA, where I grew up. Mom worked for the OZ central res office there. What the article failed to mention was that the OZ res agents were partly responsible for sending people to Braniff, they wanted more space available to non-rev to HNL on United! It must have worked because we non-revved to HNL 4 times in the '70's, always on UA out of ORD and always made the flight (once the last two seats, however!).
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

nyc2theworld

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm

This was the Global Gateway plan

Global Gateway was CO and the PANYNJ's plan for Newark which included the expansion of Terminal C and the monorail.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

commavia

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:22 am

Some of the existing T3 gates were going to be repositioned to allow for more mainline aircraft (which seems laughable now given how pathetically low AA's mainline count is at ORD today).

You say that ... and I don't necessarily disagree with you. But what I think is absolutely incredible is how close AA and United now are in terms of mainline departures. At least according to FlightStats, United is scheduled today for 182 mainline departures, while AA is at 141. Both of those numbers are notably lower than they would have been 10 or even 5 years ago.

CIDFlyer

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 am

terminal 2 at ORD makes even MEM look like a palace. Something really needs to be done with it! Terminal 3 with AA is a little better, but could use some updating, its aging by showing its 80s/early 90s decor

commavia

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 48):
Something really needs to be done with it! Terminal 3 with AA is a little better, but could use some updating, its aging by showing its 80s/early 90s decor

Agree to an extent, although I've never found T3 to be too severely dated or dirty, and either way, Eagle's G concourse is definitely way nicer than where United has most of their Express flights going out of.