Jamake1

AS To Launch SEA-PHL, SEA-FLL Service

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Service begins in June. SEA-MIA gets axed.

Press Release here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alaska...unching-prnews-1551553684.html?x=0

[Edited 2012-02-07 05:42:18]
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

globalflyer

RE: AS To Launch SEA-PHL, SEA-FLL Service

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 pm

ahhh...you beat me to it...   I thought it was interesting that AS is dropping MIA and shifting to FLL they state due to the cost of serving MIA. I think they will do well with both routes and happy to see AS expand!
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

safetyDemo

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Congratulations to Alaska Airlines. I hope they'll add a second SEA-PHL service in the future - perhaps a redeye? The current schedule arrives SEA around 9:00pm. What types of connections can be made at that point in time?
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

doug

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Does AA make up for the lost with a MIA-SEA flight a route that they have served before.

peanuts

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Interesting...

So MIA doesn't work but FLL would? How are passengers supposed to get off the boat onto the airline by 825am? They are certainly not gonna wait another 24 hrs when they are "done" cruising...at least not most of them you would think.

The big picture tells me AS is knocking on its ceiling of growth. There's only so much you can do and be from SEA. I know AS is more than just SEA. Just saying.

What does this MIA move tell us about any cooperation with AA? Just wondering out loud here...

This whole FLL and MIA with the airlines is like playing musical chairs...

[Edited 2012-02-07 06:17:44]

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 4):
This whole FLL and MIA with the airlines is like playing musical chairs...

Operating costs from FLL are much lower than MIA, and are more in line with AS's goal of earning at least 10 cents on every dollar of revenue.

Looks like SanFan will be happy with the additional OGG service! Right BB?

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

lhpdx

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Congrats to Sea/tac and Alaska! When Seattle and Portland grows in reagards to more air options, the whole pacific northwest region benefits......

tommy767

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Quoting doug (Reply 3):

I wonder the same thing. Warrants a daily AA 738 at the least, but then again, so does SAN.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

aeroblogger

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm

PHL is currently served 1x daily using a US 321. I wonder if US will add another frequency/spark a fare war.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting safetydemo (Reply 2):
Congratulations to Alaska Airlines. I hope they'll add a second SEA-PHL service in the future - perhaps a redeye? The current schedule arrives SEA around 9:00pm. What types of connections can be made at that point in time?

There is a 1030pm bank on QX to most everywhere in the Pacific Northwest and as well as YVR, YYJ and YLW..

[Edited 2012-02-07 06:51:27]
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

peanuts

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 5):
Operating costs from FLL are much lower than MIA, and are more in line with AS's goal of earning at least 10 cents on every dollar of revenue.

I understand that but it also clearly demonstrates AS' limitations, including willingness to cross certain lines of expenditures.
Fiscal discipline is great, but many times it can be a double edged sword, so to speak.

Giving up MIA means giving up code share and/or interlining opportunities as well, right? Not that a Florida morning departure would help much though, in that regard (referring to caribbean traffic)...But AA could feed into it with morning arrivals from Latin America.

[Edited 2012-02-07 07:23:49]

jasoncrh

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

I would imagine that there is enough of a local market south Florida- SEA and beyond so that AS's flight was not too dependent on the connections from AA to be successful. If that flight absolutely needed the connections to survive, then they would not move it from MIA to FLL. The fact that they are moving it from MIA to FLL suggests that the flight does not need the connections at MIA, that AS feels that the market can go to/from either South Florida airport, and that the lower costs offered at FLL will ensure success. Time will tell.

Quoting peanuts (Reply 10):
Giving up MIA means giving up code share and/or interlining opportunities as well, right? Not that a Florida morning departure would help much though, in that regard...But AA could feed into it with morning arrivals from Latin America.

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 10):

I understand that but it also clearly demonstrates AS' limitations, including willingness to cross certain lines of expenditures.
Fiscal discipline is great, but many times it can be a double edged sword, so to speak

Looks like MIA has not been performing as well as expected:

From AS's internal website:

"With the start of Seattle-Fort Lauderdale service, Alaska will discontinue flights to Miami, which the carrier has been serving since 2002. Although passenger loads have been strong, the Seattle-Miami market has been underperforming in comparison with Alaska’s other transcontinental routes"

"About the same number of people travel between Seattle and Miami as between Seattle and Fort Lauderdale, even though the airports are only 28 miles apart. That’s about the same distance separating Los Angeles International Airport and Burbank. Airport costs are much higher in Miami, however, so Alaska can continue to serve the same geographic area at a much lower cost and offer low fares by switching to Fort Lauderdale."

phljjs

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 pm

I wonder is AS will rent a gate and employee their own people to work the flights or contract with a partner such as AA or DL to handle them? AA is rumored to be moving to Terminal D in the spring and taking the 4 vacant gates currently available.

peanuts

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 12):
Looks like MIA has not been performing as well as expected
OK. So MIA-SEA was basically mainly MIA originating traffic, I would have to assume. Now they shift that to FLL, to save on operating costs. Still not sure how cruise traffic can catch that morning departure flight out of FLL. (only mentioning this since they spoke about cruise ship traffic in the article)

I'd speculate AA could be more inclined to start a MIA-SEA now. That would certainly not help AS either. So, what gives?

[Edited 2012-02-07 07:13:29]

usairways85

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Very nice for PHL, two new airlines in a month.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 8):
PHL is currently served 1x daily using a US 321. I wonder if US will add another frequency/spark a fare war.

Is this the current Feb schedule? If I understand correctly SEA is pretty seasonal and I think US may run 2-3 daily during the summer.

cotparampguy

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Awesome. I was hoping they'd start here so I didn't have to fly to LAX or JFK to get to SEA anymore. With regards to gates, in the F concourse they are putting up new jetways where AA used to be (they took theirs) so I wouldn't be surprised to see AS set up shop in F.

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 14):
OK. So MIA-SEA was basically mainly MIA originating traffic, I would have to assume. Now they shift that to FLL, to save on operating costs. Still not sure how cruise traffic can catch that morning departure flight out of FLL. (only mentioning this since they spoke about cruise ship traffic in the article)

The FLL times are basically the same as they were from MIA. It was a forced overnight in MIA for Cruise passengers as well.

The thing that will be missed are the inbound connections to MIA on AA from deep South America.

Tom SJC

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Looks like SanFan will be happy with the additional OGG service! Right BB?

I didn't see it in the press release. Is AS adding a 2nd RT on the SAN-OGG route?

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 18):
I didn't see it in the press release. Is AS adding a 2nd RT on the SAN-OGG route?

4 more a week from SAN and 3 additional frequencies weekly from SMF to OGG.

Tom SJC

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm sure PHL surprises on-one. It was about the top of everyone's speculative list including mine. Now I just hope that garbage that Horton is stating about more industry consolidation and AS and B6 not remaining independent is, in fact, garbage.

I have known people who have been leaving FLL on a cruise and took the SEA-MIA flight but then had to overnight and find transportation up to FLL. I'm sure this will attract more of that traffic from SEA.

So what's next? RDU? OKC? SAT? DTW? MEM? CVG? TPA? MSY? YYZ? MEX?

I'm wondering how many more cities can sustain daily non-stop service from SEA. They've got most of the big hitters already.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 9):
There is a 1030pm bank on QX to most everywhere in the Pacific Northwest and as well as YVR, YYJ and YLW..

Yes, every time I fly back to SEA on an evening arrival (from SJC, AUS, etc) there are lots of people transferring to the likes of YLK, YKM, BLI or even RDM or EUG.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 17):
The thing that will be missed are the inbound connections to MIA on AA from deep South America.

Yes, but the problem is the outbound SEA-MIA flight didn't connect to much of AA's Latin American and Caribbean flights without an all day layover in lovely MIA. AA's former SEA-MIA flight connected well in both directions (besides connecting with SEA-NRT which it was intended to do).

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 12):
Airport costs are much higher in Miami, however, so Alaska can continue to serve the same geographic area at a much lower cost and offer low fares by switching to Fort Lauderdale."

I had heard this too. DL used to have (maybe still does?) an evening ATL-MIA-FLL flight. The FLL tag-on was cheaper than the high RON fees at MIA, I was told.

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
4 more a week from SAN and 3 additional frequencies weekly from SMF to OGG.

Am I understanding this correctly? These 4X weekly SAN and 3X weekly for SMF...are these in addition to the existing dailies?

JayinKitsap

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

It may be a price point issue with AS. A quick look on Orbitz indicated a late Feb trip there were only 2 nonstop filghts offered, AS and AA. However, in the 1 stop flights the masses were at fares in the mid $300's, and AS was nonstop at $680. It looks like it is at about the same time as the current MIA flight, interesting the AA non-stop is at a similar time - both basicall red-eyes to MIA, arriving around 7 AM.

It seems like the arrivals into the Florida market are early for the directs, to get the people to a cruise ship, or flights to the islands, or for business that day. As AS does code share with AA, but why would you code share if each has the one non-stop to/from MIA leaving around the same time. Now, AA and AS can codeshare to both MIA and FLL.

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 21):
Am I understanding this correctly? These 4X weekly SAN and 3X weekly for SMF...are these in addition to the existing dailies?

Yes. in addition to the existing daily service.

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 20):
I'm wondering how many more cities can sustain daily non-stop service from SEA. They've got most of the big hitters already.

Time to increase frequency on the existing transcons when the new -900ERs arrive!

Tom SJC

jasoncrh

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:07 pm

AA does not fly nonstop- that's an AS flight you see with the AA code on it.

Quoting JayinKitsap (Reply 22):
It may be a price point issue with AS. A quick look on Orbitz indicated a late Feb trip there were only 2 nonstop filghts offered, AS and AA. However, in the 1 stop flights the masses were at fares in the mid $300's, and AS was nonstop at $680. It looks like it is at about the same time as the current MIA flight, interesting the AA non-stop is at a similar time - both basicall red-eyes to MIA, arriving around 7 AM.

It seems like the arrivals into the Florida market are early for the directs, to get the people to a cruise ship, or flights to the islands, or for business that day. As AS does code share with AA, but why would you code share if each has the one non-stop to/from MIA leaving around the same time. Now, AA and AS can codeshare to both MIA and FLL.

ERJ170

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm

So what's next? RDU? OKC? SAT? DTW? MEM? CVG? TPA? MSY? YYZ? MEX?

That's my question.. where on the list is RDU.. unserved. Untested. Available. Incentives. Sounds like a good match to me!
Aiming High and going far..

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 26):

That's my question.. where on the list is RDU.. unserved. Untested. Available. Incentives. Sounds like a good match to me!

The city of San Jose was trying to lure AS with incentives to fly SJC-RDU a few years back...don't know what happened to that.

threeifbyair

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Quoting safetydemo (Reply 2):
Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 9):

ANC as well.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 8):
Quoting usairways85 (Reply 15):
Is this the current Feb schedule? If I understand correctly SEA is pretty seasonal and I think US may run 2-3 daily during the summer.

Yes. I thought US usually had 2x daily, but apparently it is down to 1x for February. SEA sees big cruise traffic in the summer. Winter days are very short as Seattle is the northernmost major city in the Lower 48.

Quoting PHLJJS (Reply 13):
I wonder is AS will rent a gate and employee their own people to work the flights or contract with a partner such as AA or DL to handle them? AA is rumored to be moving to Terminal D in the spring and taking the 4 vacant gates currently available.

Typically AS uses either DL or AA to provide ground handling. DCA is DL, ORD is AA, MSP is DL (used to be AA). At some stations (DCA for one) AS has its own gate agents.

Yes, but the problem is the outbound SEA-MIA flight didn't connect to much of AA's Latin American and Caribbean flights without an all day layover in lovely MIA. AA's former SEA-MIA flight connected well in both directions (besides connecting with SEA-NRT which it was intended to do).

If AA can get a handle on costs, a better-timed SEA-MIA would make a lot of sense. Does anyone recall AA's schedule on that route? I'm wondering why AS didn't copy that, unless the timings prevented a same-day turn of the aircraft. That won't be a problem for AA.

ERJ170

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 27):
The city of San Jose was trying to lure AS with incentives to fly SJC-RDU a few years back...don't know what happened to that.

Considering AS hubs/focus and traffic to RDU... I could potentially see this (in my own rose-colored world):

1 daily SEA-RDU 738
4 weekly PDX-RDU 738 (SuMWF)
3 weekly SAN-RDU 738 (SaTTh)
Aiming High and going far..

miaami

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 28):
If AA can get a handle on costs, a better-timed SEA-MIA would make a lot of sense. Does anyone recall AA's schedule on that route? I'm wondering why AS didn't copy that, unless the timings prevented a same-day turn of the aircraft. That won't be a problem for AA.

The MIA-SEA flight was operated by 767-300 or 757 depending on the time of year. The MIA-SEA leg left MIA around 800a allowing connections from South America and then connections onward to NRT from SEA. The return flight left SEA in the afternoon and arrived MIA in the evening allowing connections to S America.

cschleic

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 4):
So MIA doesn't work but FLL would? How are passengers supposed to get off the boat onto the airline by 825am? They are certainly not gonna wait another 24 hrs when they are "done" cruising...at least not most of them you would think.

Maybe there are enough....I've been on early morning DL flights out of FLL...including 6:00 am back when it was a 764, and it was packed, and a lot of passengers were from cruise ships. And the ticket lobby already was filling up.

The Miami flight fluctuated between a morning and evening departure back to SEA, didn't it?

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 28):

When AS initially started MIA, the flight departed SEA around 8am and returned from MIA at around 5pm. About a year after start of service it went to the current schedule.

SANFan

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Looks like SanFan will be happy with the additional OGG service! Right BB
Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 19):
4 more a week from SAN and 3 additional frequencies weekly from SMF to OGG
Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 23):
Yes. in addition to the existing daily service

Huh? Boy, am I late to this party! Where was THIS announced, Tom? Needless to say, I am completely thrilled and surprised! (What's the start date Tom, please?) I'll do a little searching and see what I can find, but thank you for this.

So where are all these airplanes coming from? No new deliveries at this time of the year AFAIK? Obviously FLL is just a replacement for MIA, but how about PHL, and the additional OGG-lift?

Happy in San Diego!  

bb

hiflyer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:48 pm

The newer cruise megaships are using FLL (the port made a deal to modify for them if the ships were based there)....far better connection to/from the airport. AS is simply following the money much to the disappointment of the MIA fan club....grin. ( FLL get's feed from both the PBI and MIA areas...and even from RSW and APF with it's lower fares.)

rotating14

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:13 pm

WN must not be taking this very well,    I wonder what they might do to counter this move?!?!?

flymia

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 34):
The newer cruise megaships are using FLL (the port made a deal to modify for them if the ships were based there)....far better connection to/from the airport. AS is simply following the money much to the disappointment of the MIA fan club....grin.

FLL just has lower cost. Miami still has a busier cruise port than Fort Lauderdale even though both are huge. A bit of a surprise, but makes perfect sense if the cost at MIA were too high. Not that I see AA doing a lot of new routes right now but MIA-SEA is definitely a potential route now. The flight works, and with AA connections it would probably work pretty well.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

SANFan

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I guess the switch to FLL makes some sense. For a carrier with only a couple of flights, it seems they could get lost in MIA but FLL just seems like a better fit. And since the airports are so close, traffic originating in Florida (and heading for SEA for an Alaskan cruise) would probably be happy to use either airport.

PHL, as has been rumored and discussed for a while now, is an obvious next choice for SEA expansion. As long as VX isn't showing any signs of thinking outside of their tiny little SF-LA box, then AS should continue to add whatever low-hanging fruit still exists.

As is always the case for me, it's great to see Chester expanding!

(As far as those other new routes mentioned in this thread, I'm going to wait until another thread starts to further discuss that subject!   )

bb

n471wn

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting rotating14 (Reply 35):
WN must not be taking this very well, I wonder what they might do to counter this move?!?!?

Sadly my favorite airline is reacting now instead of being pro-active------WN seems to have lost it's way a bit during this merger-----see my other thread on their RPM's for January.

atrude777

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm

WN must not be taking this very well, I wonder what they might do to counter this move?!?!?

Why? None of these routes are flown non stop on either side with WN or FL?

I saw this as a move against Virgin America, so AS can try to steal the PHL-SEA crowd so they don't go via Virgin and fly PHL-LAX/SFO-SEA.

Awesome news though for Alaska and PHL, anytime an airline starts a new route and city is good news all around.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

jetsetter629

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm

I remember US flying PHL-YVR in the summer for cruise traffic. Was this opperated last year?

With US dropping ANC-PHL, AS makes it easier to get to Alaska from PHL.

roseflyer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:42 pm

I don't think Southwest is really going to care. They don't compete on the longer transcon routes with no nonstop options. Their fares are typically quite high for the long distance routes like that which involve connections. WN and Alaska compete to Chicago, Denver, Bay Area, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc, but not so much to Southern California or the east coast.

PHL will incite some competition from US, which has pulled down the frequency to as low as 1 daily during the slow winter season from 2 or 3 daily in the busier seasons. FLL is likely free for the taking as the only nonstop flight to South Florida. JetBlue, Frontier, and Virgin America all have good fares, but require connections and of course Delta, United and American also are competition. There are 10 daily flights to Hawaii from SEA. You'd expect with all the cruise traffic, South Florida would be able to maintain at least one.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

USAirALB

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I looked at some of the markets non served by AS nonstop, and here are some of the largest with PDEW counts. I'm sure these numbers aren't exact.
1. BWI (462)
2. DTW(342)
3. MKE(253)
4. CLT (200)

I really have a hard time seeing AS at BWI, primarily because of WN, and they already operate at DCA. I think we may see them at DTW, and they could put their codeshare with DL to use there. I could see MKE as well, but they already operate at ORD and WN flies MKE-SEA. I could see AS flying to CLT as well, depending on how well PHL does.

For those interested, PDEW counts on RDU-SEA are about 173. I have a hard time seeing RDU-SEA on any airline. RDU's main focus I believe is getting a year round daily connection to LAX.
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

will777

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 36):
Miami still has a busier cruise port than Fort Lauderdale even though both are huge.

While the Port of Miami may have more ships based year round, Port Everglades is by far the busiest during the winter months. As many as 24 ships every weekend!

atrude777

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 42):
I think we may see them at DTW, and they could put their codeshare with DL to use there.

However, Delta already flies DTW-SEA as you point out and the Alaska code-share is already on it. That's why I don't believe DTW-SEA will start on Alaska metal, but the same goes true for ATL/MSP/SLC-SEA routes, Delta fly and Alaska fly.

All about priority I suppose!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

threeifbyair

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I looked at some of the markets non served by AS nonstop, and here are some of the largest with PDEW counts. I'm sure these numbers aren't exact.
1. BWI (462)
2. DTW(342)
3. MKE(253)
4. CLT (200)

I really have a hard time seeing AS at BWI, primarily because of WN, and they already operate at DCA. I think we may see them at DTW, and they could put their codeshare with DL to use there. I could see MKE as well, but they already operate at ORD and WN flies MKE-SEA. I could see AS flying to CLT as well, depending on how well PHL does.

For those interested, PDEW counts on RDU-SEA are about 173. I have a hard time seeing RDU-SEA on any airline. RDU's main focus I believe is getting a year round daily connection to LAX.

PHL will also cut into the BWI catchment area. If a 3rd SEA-DCA slot is in the cards for AS, BWI is not going to happen anytime soon.

DL runs 2x/3x daily SEA-DTW, but there are only 3 connecting banks for some of DL's DTW-exclusive markets. Since the O&D is limited, AS would need connections to fill the plane. Plus, AS is going to be gate-constrained in the optimal 8:00-9:30AM departure time for transcons. Earlier departures ex-SEA would have to rely on mostly SEA O&D and whatever connections are feasible at 6-7AM (ANC would work, but not a lot else).

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:31 pm

I think we may see them at DTW,

I'm thinking so too!

Tom SJC

Tomassjc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 44):
but the same goes true for ATL/MSP/SLC-SEA routes, Delta fly and Alaska fly.

No AS on SLC-SEA as yet....

flymia

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Quoting will777 (Reply 43):
While the Port of Miami may have more ships based year round, Port Everglades is by far the busiest during the winter months. As many as 24 ships every weekend!

Ok great, that means? AS flys to South Florida year round, Port of Miami has more Cruise Ship passengers.

FLL does work for the Miami area traffic. Many people will go ahead and make the drive up to FLL to skip a connection in DFW or ATL.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

roseflyer

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 44):

However, Delta already flies DTW-SEA as you point out and the Alaska code-share is already on it. That's why I don't believe DTW-SEA will start on Alaska metal, but the same goes true for ATL/MSP/SLC-SEA routes, Delta fly and Alaska fly.

AS codeshares and has close relationships with AA and DL, but that doesn't stop them from flying to DFW, MSP, ATL and ORD. It might cause them to favor PHL over DTW since they are competing against a carrier that they do not codeshare with, but I think DTW is a possibility.

1. BWI (462)
2. DTW(342)
3. MKE(253)
4. CLT (200)

I think BWI and MKE are artificially higher due to the low cost carriers at those airports. Airtran operating those routes likely brings in more traffic than they would typically get. Competing on yields is likely not something that AS wants to do, so I doubt MKE or BWI are probable. MKE and BWI both draw off cachement areas that AS already serves from a higher yielding airport.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!