LGWflyer
Topic Author

Anyone Explain About This Bare Metal AC 762?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:56 am

While just going through the A.net database looking at quite a few older pics I came across this odd bare metal looking Air Canada 762. It seems as this was left as it was for a while, anyone know why it was stripped of the old livery and given just a new looking tail? Im a fan of AA's livery, but this seemed a bit rough.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Youri Thonon - Contrails Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Kopczak

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Fortin AirTeamImages

3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

United1

RE: Anyone Explain About This Bare Metal AC 762?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Thread starter):
While just going through the A.net database looking at quite a few older pics I came across this odd bare metal looking Air Canada 762. It seems as this was left as it was for a while, anyone know why it was stripped of the old livery and given just a new looking tail? Im a fan of AA's livery, but this seemed a bit rough.

It was a test livery of ACs...basically an attempt to save weight...it looked horrid and didn't save them all that much so they repainted it.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:07 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 1):
It was a test livery of ACs...basically an attempt to save weight...it looked horrid and didn't save them all that much so they repainted it.

Oh right, thank god it did not succeed! Imagine if every AC aircraft was like that now, im glad it got put fully into the Ice Blue livery in the end.   

longhauler

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:32 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 2):
Oh right, thank god it did not succeed! Imagine if every AC aircraft was like that now, im glad it got put fully into the Ice Blue livery in the end

If the test were successful, the livery would have been slightly different. Starting with buffing the aircraft properly, and further "frosted green" enhancements, the result would have looked pretty cool.

A proper buff job was not required for the test, which showed the saving in weight not worth the extra manpower of a bare metal paint scheme.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:43 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):
If the test were successful, the livery would have been slightly different. Starting with buffing the aircraft properly, and further "frosted green" enhancements, the result would have looked pretty cool.

A proper buff job was not required for the test, which showed the saving in weight not worth the extra manpower of a bare metal paint scheme.

Ahh okay that would have sounded a whole lot better! Then again though im still quite glad it didn't work out because I am a massive fan of the current Ice Blue livery, beats a boring white scheme anyday.  

Viper911

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:46 pm

A little bit OT, does anyone know where this 762 cn:229 is now? Maybe stored or scrapped?

Viper911.

71Zulu

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:19 am

RZ Jets and CH Aviation both say stored at ROW

CH says "to be scrapped"
Clickable links only please!

ba777-236

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:20 am

A 772LR like this would look amazing.....

I was hoping AC would have gotten those 772 Freighters they had initially ordered, and they could've polished it.. shame they never went through with the order.
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

airtrainer

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am

Not a cool livery indeed... Is this because we are used to see AA planes that every other bare metal plane look ugly ? Or is it just me ?
Life is short : eat dessert first !

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 8):
Not a cool livery indeed... Is this because we are used to see AA planes that every other bare metal plane look ugly ? Or is it just me ?

No I agree that with all bare metal liveries we are probably going to compare it with AA, and AA most likely would win 99% of the time like the case here.

yyz717

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):

I wonder why some airlines it worthwhile and some don't?

Quoting BA777-236 (Reply 7):
I was hoping AC would have gotten those 772 Freighters they had initially ordered, and they could've polished it.. shame they never went through with the order.

Northwest used a bare metal scheme ONLY on their 742F fleet for a while.

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 4):
I am a massive fan of the current Ice Blue livery

Same.

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 4):
Then again though im still quite glad it didn't work out

It was eye catching on the 762, although it looked somewhat crude and temporary. The appeal of a livery I find varies greatly on the aircraft type employed.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

LGWflyer
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 10):

It was eye catching on the 762, although it looked somewhat crude and temporary. The appeal of a livery I find varies greatly on the aircraft type employed.

Yes I agree that certain liveries are better suited to one aircraft rather than another. The Ice Blue colour scheme looks amazing and the best on the 77W compared to the rest of the fleet.