rising

What Happened To Delta's "Cozy Suites"?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:33 am

Did Delta ever end up installing these? Didn't see anything on their website and didn't find anything new in a search.

Seems like an interesting concept.

http://www.esquire.com/features/looking-forward-0209-6
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

jetjack74

RE: What Happened To Delta's "Cozy Suites"?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 am

Nope. I fly for them, and have never seen these. An idea that never saw the light of day
Made from jets!

AirCanada787

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:03 am

There was a thread on this last year. No they never installed any. Where were questions about even being about to get them certified for use, its believe by many that for the fastest evacuation you need a straight path to exit as fast as possible. Either was Delta has installed new seating on aircraft such as the 777 and 767 for which these seats were originally planned.

It was an interesting concept for sure, hopefully seating companies will continue to try to be so innovative. Not all concepts will catch on or be practical but I guess we never know what future designs maybe dreamed up and put into planes.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

rising

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 1):

Thanks! Was it a cost issue, or did they find a better product- or just another canceled project?

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 1):
Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 2):

Thanks for the info!
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

DL747400

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:50 pm

I heard the contract was allowed to expire and DL made the decision to not renew it due to the fact that the design was encountering what were then being described as 'significant certification issues.' Most folks concluded that this meant the FAA said they would not certify the design as presented. Makes sense if you stop to consider the fact that the company that launched the design is no longer actively promoting it.

[Edited 2012-02-11 08:54:44]
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Icaro

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm

and more, how would you set up the overhead panels? lights, air vents, masks.... You would need a complete new design. Doesn't seem very easy

AirCanada787

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Quoting icaro (Reply 5):
how would you set up the overhead panels? lights, air vents, masks.... You would need a complete new design. Doesn't seem very easy

No I don't think it would have been easy but they were probably hoping that with such a different product from everyone else that people would love it and fly Delta because they loved the product. Therefore it would have been worth it to make all those changes.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

gaystudpilot

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 6):
such a different product from everyone else that people would love it and fly Delta because they loved the product. Therefore it would have been worth it to make all those changes.

Not the case. The Cozy Suites had nothing to do with providing additional passenger comfort as a means to increase revenue. The Cozy Suites config allowed for a higher density coach cabin (e.g., through an increase in the number of seats per row) and therefore would have increased revenue by putting more pax in the same cabin.

[Edited 2012-02-11 14:21:22]

ghifty

Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Quoting gaystudpilot (Reply 7):
The Cozy Suites

I suppose the keyword would be "Cozy Suites." Cozy.. to me, that word has the same connotation as "cramped."

That being said, this product would make a nice Y+/C- product, when appending the "Cozy."

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 6):
with such a different product from everyone else that people would love it and fly Delta because they loved the product.

I don't think would fly it because it's different..
Fly Delta Jets

MaverickM11

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 pm

I've heard that even in focus group testing the seats tested poorly; they were neither "cozy" nor "suites", and pretty much everyone hated them except understandably the finance group.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Mir

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):
they were neither "cozy" nor "suites"

Did we really need focus group testing to determine that?   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day