speedbird217

Strike In FRA Tomorrow Likely To Happen

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Couldn't find this posted here. The apron controllers in FRA just said they want to strike tomorrow from 3pm to 10pm.
It appears this will affect flight operations completely. Their reasoning is that their negotiations with Fraport for better payment and other improvements came to a halt.
Let's see if they can avoid this last minute, otherwise this will hit hard, especially on such short notice.

Sorry, link only in German: http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/articl...lughafen-Frankfurt-lahm-legen.html

airbuseric

RE: Strike In FRA Tomorrow Likely To Happen

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 pm

No respect!

Why on earth should innocent travellers become a victim of this local issue? This behavior of airport staff should not be tolerated. It hurts the airlines a lot as well.

"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 1):
This behavior of airport staff should not be tolerated.

The right to strike is a fundamental right of employees in any democratic society...
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

airbuseric

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 2):
The right to strike is a fundamental right of employees in any democratic society...

True. But when you have a job in a service related environment, especially those serving worldwide/international markets, you should consider to give up this particular right.

People are just a victim. Hard working people of the world spending their money on airline and travelling to make a good business, or on a well deserved holiday, or important family visit etc, become victim. Their travel plans get messed up. Just because some FRA apron controllers wants salary increasement. It's a difficult time, for everybody these days, don't make it more difficult especially not for the innocent people flying via FRA.

speedbird217

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm

While I completely agree with you on that one, I also have to say that there are different ways of striking. Announcing today that you are going to shut down and entire huge international airport tomorrow for 7 hours (given the chaos following that strike the aftermath will be way longer than this) is in my opinion nothing else than taking passengers hostage for your cause, like airbuseric said.

If you want to apply pressure, go ahead and strike. It's your good right to do so, but do it with enough time for customers and airlines to adapt. They are not your "enemy", in that case your employer is. And he will get the message, even without you ruining the travel plans of thousands and thousands of travellers that don't have time to rearrange their itinieraries until tomorrow.

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 3):
But when you have a job in a service related environment, especially those serving worldwide/international markets, you should consider to give up this particular right.

Why? What would any employee gain in return for that?

Quoting Speedbird217 (Reply 4):
Announcing today that you are going to shut down and entire huge international airport tomorrow for 7 hours (given the chaos following that strike the aftermath will be way longer than this) is in my opinion nothing else than taking passengers hostage for your cause, like airbuseric said.

They've been through negotiations, where no compromise was reached. They've been through arbitration, the result of which Fraport also didn't accept, so Fraport had lots of warning and they say that they have prepared for this. What they are going to do is a Warnstreik, a flash strike to show their employer what will happen if (or when) they go on strike for real.

If you want workers who are not allowed to strike, make them government officials - teachers, the police and many more are just such Beamte who lack the right to strike, but also face no risk of being fired. It is of course more costly, but the option exists and has existed for ages.

source: http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/service/0,1518,815448,00.html

airbuseric

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Well, if you're not happy with your salary... You have one other right which is the right to work. If you're not happy, people can quit their job and find a better one. I'm sure in the current time enought other people would be happy to take it!

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 6):
You have one other right which is the right to work.

Uhm... the people who are going on strike after their employer refused to accept the arbitration result do already work.

If you're not happy, people can quit their job and find a better one. I'm sure in the current time enought other people would be happy to take it!

Riiight...    As I was saying, if you want workers who don't have the right to strike, make them government officials. The option is right there, it's just a matter of paying for it. You can't have your cake (cheaper labour) and eat it (no strikes), too.

PanHAM

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 pm

that strike is unreasonable in many ways,

it hits people who ar absolutely not involved, i.e. passengers and shippers of frreight

it hits companies (airlines) who are paying fees for that service and have no way to avoid losses.

they demanded a double digit increase and the arbitration was inches away. Yet, they have a key position, 200 people can eventually shut down an airport that serves 160000 passengers a day. This is abuse of power.

least, Fraport may not lose too much as they will have a house full of stranded passengers buying goods for which Fraport gets concession fees.

Wonder what Lufthansa will do, sue Fraport, the union, both, or get a court injunction.,
powered by Eierlikör

mmedford

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Good for these guys...I support them!

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 8):
they demanded a double digit increase and the arbitration was inches away. Yet, they have a key position, 200 people can eventually shut down an airport that serves 160000 passengers a day. This is abuse of power.

Why should they devalue themselves? If the service that they provide is that well needed then the increases they are asking for should be granted.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

PanHAM

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm

This may be rough figures, but I just heard that drivers of the "follow me" vans demanded pay rises of up to 50%. This cannot work in a company that employs 17000 people in various departments,

Of course, a follow me driver has to have special skills, but what do you tell the driver of a cart towing freight dollies? At he has a special driving license for the apron. So who's next, drivers of de-icing trucks forming their own union with 50 or so, holding the rest at ransom?

Pay rises must be reasonable and Fraport has made a reasonable offer in the abrbritration.
powered by Eierlikör

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
This may be rough figures, but I just heard that drivers of the "follow me" vans demanded pay rises of up to 50%.

A, I would appreicate if you could provide a link to a credible source.
B, was that kind of raise part of the arbitration result which Fraport didn't accept?

Pay rises must be reasonable and Fraport has made a reasonable offer in the abrbritration.

I've looked for the result, but couldn't find it. Do you have a source?

[Edited 2012-02-15 09:16:25]

speedbird217

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 pm

I just heard that drivers of the "follow me" vans demanded pay rises of up to 50%

Wow, this is ridiculous!!

but what do you tell the driver of a cart towing freight dollies?

Actually there is a lot of room for improvements there. I used to work on the ramp in DUS, actually with a special driver's license towing baggage carts 
Luckily I only worked there to finance my studies. It was scandalous, some ramp workers worked well over 200 hours a month and went home with less than 1,000 Euros in their pocket at the end of the month. And the employer making a huge profit, since their margin from the money they got from the airport was so huge.That's the price you pay for having a low unemployment rate due to temporary employment companies...

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Quoting Speedbird217 (Reply 16):
That's the price you pay for having a low unemployment rate due to temporary employment companies...

Hey, if they are

not happy, people can quit their job and find a better one.

airbuseric

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:49 pm

It was scandalous, some ramp workers worked well over 200 hours a month and went home with less than 1,000 Euros in their pocket at the end of the month.

It's mostly 'un-educated' work. A special driving permit is not special. Just learn a few regulations. Driving can be teached and you'll earn that possession quick enough. It's like driving a car .

in AMS, those apron jobs are done by students or low/non educated people. (not supervisors etc,) If they can have a nett salary of 1000 Euro's a month, it's not bad isn't it? Since enough educated people bring home 1500-2000 Euro's for much more responsible jobs.

PanHAM

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Check airliners.de today's newsletter, they even mention hikes over 70%, you may have subscribed it, if not go via thze airliners.de portal.

Luckily I only worked there to finance my studies. It was scandalous, some ramp workers worked well over 200 hours a month and went home with less than 1,000 Euros i

so how do you knpow that theoir employer made a "huge" profit? This sounds like € 7,50 per hour roughly, once all the employers shares oto the mandatory health insurance, pension, unemployed, the average holidays and sick days, which have to b calculated with at least 40 day p.a.or almost 2 month out of 12, the overhead et al and the employers risk, because he still has to pay you even if there ois no work, that 7,50 double at öleast, if not going close to 20€ per hour.

There goes your "huge profit".
powered by Eierlikör

readytotaxi

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm

If you continue to live within a democratic society, you accept the pros and cons that brings.
You also have the choice to remove yourself from that society,if you wish,and find another country of choice that will have you.
I suspect quiet a few "other countries" do not offer that choice.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

speedbird217

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 18):
It's mostly 'un-educated' work

Sure it is, I don't deny that. But it's also very physical work. Do this job for 5 years and kiss your bones and spine goodbye. Also, just because it's uneducated work doesn't mean you shouldn't get a proper wage for it.
Soccer players do an uneducated job as well, and they receive many million Euros a year  

These people have families too, and some of them were people with degrees in engineering or dentistry workers. They just couldn't find a job somewhere else after their company crashed during the Crisis because they were "too old" and had to take the job at the airport to survive.
Are you seriously telling me that working 6 days a week on 9 hour shifts, lifting luggage, doing jobs you shouldn't even be doing because the airport wants to save money and only scheduled the shifts with a fraction of the people that should be there and loosing your family in the process, because they never see you is something you would want to do? For 1,000 Euros?

These people deserve to be paid appropriately and if the company you work for receives close to 5 times the amount per worker per hour than what they actually pay them, this has nothing to do with the fact that it's uneducated work. I fully agree that they will/should never earn as much as well-trained, well-ecucated and highly-specialized people. But they are still human beings and to treat them like dirt, just because they don't have a choice is nothing but inhuman.
And btw, the DUS airport company made a profit of 57 million Euros in 2010 and some 30 million in 2011. And yet it's not unusual that you wait for your luggage for 50+ minutes, because there's just not enough people there to do all the work.

It's always easy to judge from the outside. Go work there for a month and you will see the world with different eyes. I am educated and I will get a good job once I graduate, but don't close your eyes. If people work hard they should be rewarded. If you don't work hard, then it's your fault, I agree on that...

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
so how do you knpow that theoir employer made a "huge" profit?

When you get paid 7.50 Euros per hour and the company receives 35 Euros per hour for your workforce - even with insurances and benefits I would define that as a huge profit.

[Edited 2012-02-15 10:20:46]

[Edited 2012-02-15 10:30:02]

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
Check airliners.de today's newsletter, they even mention hikes over 70%, you may have subscribed it, if not go via thze airliners.de portal.

I just have: http://www.airliners.de/management/p...dlotsen-legen-frankfurt-lahm/26398

They quote a Fraport manager (who is by definition not a reliable source on this matter) and they don't say if his quote refers to the union demand before the arbitration, so that information is worthless.

EricAY05

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Does anyone have any news on the strike? How many flights will be affected? Has anyting, like exact hours, been confirmed?

speedbird217

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Quoting EricAY05 (Reply 23):
Does anyone have any news on the strike? How many flights will be affected? Has anyting, like exact hours, been confirmed?

Nothing new really. This is from the official FRA website:

Quote:
The German union for air traffic workers, GdF (Gewerkschaft der Flugsicherung), has announced a warning strike on Thursday, February 16, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.  Due to the strike flight cancellations and disruptions might occur at Frankfurt Airport.

Passengers are kindly requested to contact their airline or tour operator for the latest information before flying and to keep informed via the media.  Further information is also available from the Fraport Communication Center at 0 18 05/3 72 46 or +49 1805-372 4636*.  * (The rate charged is €0.14 per minute when calling from a German landline phone and a maximum of €0.42 per minute when calling from a mobile phone.)
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en.html

PanHAM

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Quoting Speedbird217 (Reply 21):

When you get paid 7.50 Euros per hour and the company receives 35 Euros per hour for your workforce - even with insurances and benefits I would define that as a huge profit.

I did the rough calculation, if you add all the monis they have to pay or insurances, for holidays and sick days up to 6 weeks in a row, the overhead and the risk that they have no work for you but still have to pay you, the overhead, office staff and all, there is a profit, that's why companies are in business for, but not what you think. Business calculations is unfortunately not taught at school in Germany.

Quoting aloges (Reply 22):
They quote a Fraport manager (who is by definition not a reliable source on this matter) and they don't say if his quote refers to the union demand before the arbitration, so that information is worthless.

He is a board member of a publicly noted company. He could be held liable if he makes false statements., Check the Aktiengesetz. BTW, he is social democrat, maybe that improves his credibility with oyu.   He cannot disclose details on the arbitration, that would be Ole's job and the matter is pending.

Fact is, that in a company of 17000 employees you cannot single out 200 and give them 50% pay hikes without stirring an uproar.
powered by Eierlikör

aloges

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 25):
He is a board member of a publicly noted company. He could be held liable if he makes false statements.

As I was saying: the article doesn't say whether or not the quote refers to the original demand or the arbitration result. Additionally, there are always ways to calculate individual raises in such a way that they end up much higher than the average, just to make the union look greedy. It's an ancient tactic and the union is more than likely to do the equivalent in its press releases, with the truth being somewhere in the middle.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 25):
BTW, he is social democrat, maybe that improves his credibility with oyu.

Really?    That must be why I'm harping on about the arbitration, with Ole von Beust being the arbitrator.

dw9115

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 am

You understand that Germany is not a Democracy but actually a Federal Republic? Because the two are somewhat similar but for the most extremely different. A side note 99% of Americans don't even know that America isn't a Democracy either and the few that due know mostly think it is just a Republic (1/3 true) but it is actually a Constitutional Federal Republic and the founding fathers liked parts of democracy but found it to ultimately be flawed and impractical they have even written that they feared it because true complete democracy is in a sense nothing more than mob rule.

PanHAM

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:00 am

Quoting dw9115 (Reply 27):
Republic?

Good one. Translate Res Publica and be surprised what you get.

The Federal stands for the organisation only.

Quoting aloges (Reply 26):
As I was saying: the article doesn't say whether or not the quote refers to the original demand or the arbitration result.

That's why I said 50% and not the 73 or so mentioned in that article. Let's see what will happen today, how they will cope with management personel and how many lfights will actually be cancelled, or, they get a court order against the strike.
powered by Eierlikör

aloges

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 am

Update: The strike may continue on Friday.

source: http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/service/0,1518,815589,00.html (in German)

The same article (and several others according to a quick Google news search) quotes the Fraport works council as calling the union demands "excessive".    That and a two-day "flash strike" do make me wonder...

PanHAM

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 am

Me not. It is what i said, there is a small group of 200 people within a total work force of 17000 with an excessive deamnd, How do you explain to the rest of the unionized workers and those who are not double digit increase when the other get may be 2 or 3 percent?

The follow me drivers claim they have more work with the new runway, OK, fine.hire more people. But an 8 hour shift means you can handle so and so many aircraft in that time, never 2 at the same time. So how do they have more work? May be less time to fool around than before.

In any case, Fraport is making a bruta figura here, they selected the arbitrator, former Hamburg mayor Ole Von Beust and now they don't accept his solution. May be they did not specify their position properly. Does not make me wonder with the board member in charge of labor relations and the old CEO was better than his successor, by all means.
powered by Eierlikör

airbuseric

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:08 am

But it's also very physical work. Do this job for 5 years and kiss your bones and spine goodbye

Believe me I know, I did a lot of this work when I was a student too   And it paid very well compared to other jobs (e.g. filling the supermarket shelves). I was always happy to have these jobs.

Are you seriously telling me that working 6 days a week on 9 hour shifts, lifting luggage, doing jobs you shouldn't even be doing because the airport wants to save money and only scheduled the shifts with a fraction of the people that should be there and loosing your family in the process, because they never see you is something you would want to do? For 1,000 Euros?

Well, don't get me wrong I don't mind if their salaries go up. And I've no good insight in the German situation. Apart from that I do believe that in such case the salaries can't be brought up too much since they would easily be coming at same level as 'educated' office jobs who bring home maybe 1,500 Euro's a month. That will mean that the office workers should ask for increasement soon also? Go figure, the whole system should be changed then.

I think if you get at some age and have to finance a family, it's time to look for other jobs. Since this seems more to be for parttime workers, students, instead of the family-man. Also health wise what you clearly mentioned and are right about.

It's difficult matter, but I think it's the time we live in now. Unfair? Yes I think so. A choice, maybe not really. If you don't want to do it, somebody else does.

Regarding the strike; I know it's a right to do. But I also think it's unfair to the innocent travellers passing through the airport.

PanHAM

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Just heard a figure on the radio, the total additional expense for fraport would be e 7 million p.a., that translates to € 35k per person.

Even if you take the usual German social BS off, that translates to an average payhike of roughly € 1500,00 per month, Even taking into account that these people, with shift work et al are highly paid professionals already, the additonal money is gross.

That cannot be sold to the rest of the employees.