staralliance85
Topic Author

VS Joining An Alliance?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm

How does it stand with VS joining an alliance? Sir Richard Branson stated his interest for joining an alliance a few months ago and nothing has been mentioned since then. Delta and AF/KL offered VS a deal last summer but it seems like that went south. I was shocked that CO ended their relationship (as of February 12,2012) because they had a very strong relationship for a very long time and LHR is the most popular destination. I would of thought that VS would be a an asset to the New UA. It might of been VS Not wanting a relationship with the New UA either? Does this mean that there is a chance that VS will join ST or do you think SQ (49% share) will make them join Star?
brad Fitzpatrick

anstar

RE: VS Joining An Alliance?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting staralliance85 (Thread starter):
I was shocked that CO ended their relationship (as of February 12,2012) because they had a very strong relationship for a very long time and LHR is the most popular destination.

Not surprising as they didnt have a relation ship with Untited.

As for joining an alliance it appears STAR is not interested - I mean if LH/UA etc really wanted VS in STAR do you think LH would have let BD go to BA knowing that they would lose a UK star member?

I'd say Skyteam are interested but VS probably don't think much of most of the skyteam carriers. Just my thoughts

SonomaFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pm

SkyTeam and Star are the only realistic expectations for VS. I agree that if Star really wanted the tie-up, they could've done the deal ages ago given the VS relationship with CO. Its possible Star thinks VS doesn't add much in the way of new destinations as Star carriers cover most of the same ground.

I think SkyTeam would make more sense. Delta/KLM/AF don't have a big footprint into LHR so would give them a sizable presence for example from the West Coast of the U.S. to LHR>

mikey72

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Quoting staralliance85 (Thread starter):
Does this mean that there is a chance that VS will join ST or do you think SQ (49% share) will make them join Star?

With the situation now being what it is across the north Atlantic (AA/BA) from LHR which is VS's main market it is diffcult to see what they bring to an alliance given their size.

Does a niche carrier really 'need' to join an alliance ? Especially one focusing on O&D at LHR of all places.

You could argue that EK is a niche carrier albeit a massive one. They don't need an alliance.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

jfk777

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 3):
You could argue that EK is a niche carrier albeit a massive one. They don't need an alliance

Calling Emirates a "niche" airline is like calling GM a "niche" auto maker. Virgin Atlantic is a niche airline because its the only long haul airline in Europe with no short haul.

LOWS

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 3):
Does a niche carrier really 'need' to join an alliance ? Especially one focusing on O&D at LHR of all places.

Were you not just saying in an earlier thread that despite "problems" at LH, BA's O&D in London gave them a massive advantage?

mikey72

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 4):
Calling Emirates a "niche" airline is like calling GM a "niche" auto maker. Virgin Atlantic is a niche airline because its the only long haul airline in Europe with no short haul.

There was a massive 'niche' in global aviation that EK has most definitely filled and is still filling. Hence their success even in these most dire of times.

Quoting LOWS (Reply 5):
Were you not just saying in an earlier thread that despite "problems" at LH, BA's O&D in London gave them a massive advantage?

Yes ?

Just like EK, VS don't need anything or anybody. There is no other airport in the entire continent that could support a similar VS like operation plus a legacy/national/flag carrier.

[Edited 2012-02-15 10:14:45]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.