Checo77
Topic Author

Pilot Dies On A CSA Czech Airlines Flight!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Hello everybody,

Czech media is reporting a sad event: a Czech pilot aged 55, dies today on board a CSA Czech Airlines flight on its scheduled flight from WAW to PRG. The flight landed safely in PRG. Landing was classified as emergency. No news if the deceased was the capitan or FO. No news if the plane was a A319 or ATR.

The head of the Czech Pilots Association said, the cause of death might be related to the stress OK pilots are living under this management: cutting money, cutting routes, more flight time, constant fear of being fired, etc.

A truly sad event. RIP!!

Adam

Link (Czech only): http://zpravy.idnes.cz/na-letiste-ru...i.aspx?c=A120215_130543_domaci_zep
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

Tupolev160

RE: Pilot Dies On A CSA Czech Airlines Flight!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Where is that once great airline going to...
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

simairlinenet

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting Checo77 (Thread starter):
The head of the Czech Pilots Association said, the cause of death might be related to the stress OK pilots are living under this management: cutting money, cutting routes, more flight time, constant fear of being fired, etc.

In addition to the sadness of the pilot's death, this is a sad move by the pilots' union.

airbuseric

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I was just thinking, what kind of silly people are in that association?
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

CrimsonNL

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:01 pm

That's truly terrible news..

How dare they make such a claim! What kind of people are running association :S

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

L410Turbolet

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

BS. It's just CZALPA trying to abuse the personal tragedy to prop they own agenda. I gues being a union boss means having no class.
CZALPA's share of responsibility on the current not-too-great condition of the airline is indisputable

Also, it would be a better to quote some more respectable news outlet than idnes, you know what sort of journalistic sewage they are.

GIANCAVIA

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting simairlinenet (Reply 2):

In addition to the sadness of the pilot's death, this is a sad move by the pilots' union.

Infact its quite a disgusting claim.. Whoever said it should resign.

L410Turbolet

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 3):
what kind of silly people are in that association?

Most of OK's pilots. One of the most militant unions in the country, btw. I guess one can seriously question their judgment while in midair when they obviously lack common sense and class in banal situations such as this one.

tonystan

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:40 pm

How awful for the crew involved especially the other pilot who had to juggle the flying of the aircraft with a dying colleague sitting beside.

What sort of jackasses are employed by these unions? I know there are many pilot organisations out there that have dillusions of grandeur but seriously to claim this just moments after the event happened is insensitive and crude. Are they doctors now? Do they know of the said pilots personal health? I seriously hope who ever made this statement lent his/her name to it!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

migair54

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

he was the captain on an ATR42....

The pilot association made a very silly movement... it´s not the right moment to talk about this issues... And less without being sure of the cause of the death....

EY460

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 pm

First of all my condolences to the family and friends of the pilot.

I personally believe that the most probable cause of the death was heart attack and we all know how important is a quick response in these situations. Accordingly to the Aviation Herald the plane was approaching Prague when this happened and the plane continued its landing.

I'm asking this question to the flight crews here on a.net. Flight attendants are trained for CPR. Would it be possible for flight attendants to perform CPR while the plane is landing (with the help of a doctor if one was amongst the passengers)? I know that this means having the Captain outside the cockpit as the floor space on a ATR is quite limited and I know that this could cause some concern amongst the passengers. I also know that every one must be seated for take off and landing but this is a situation when every seconds count.

flymia

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Sad news.

When I flew Czech from BCN-PRG-BCN almost exactly two years ago (can't believe it's been that long since I was in BCN) it was a fantastic flight with a great crew. Service was fantastic, seats had lots of leg room everything about both flights A320 and 734 were fantastic. Only hope the best for the airline.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

migair54

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting EY460 (Reply 10):
I'm asking this question to the flight crews here on a.net. Flight attendants are trained for CPR. Would it be possible for flight attendants to perform CPR while the plane is landing (with the help of a doctor if one was amongst the passengers)? I know that this means having the Captain outside the cockpit as the floor space on a ATR is quite limited and I know that this could cause some concern amongst the passengers. I also know that every one must be seated for take off and landing but this is a situation when every seconds count.

Not during approach.... The correct procedure is to secure the captain on the seat and expedite the approach, and maybe if the F/O consider necessary one of the Cabin crew stay in cockpit to read check list or the same F/O do it by himself talking loudly so the CVR can record... Also after landing the plane has to stay on the runway because the ATR can´t be taxi by the F/O.... so I guess the ambulance was waiting in the taxiway and helping the captain as soon as they land....

N405MX

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 am

Really sad news, I remember my flight MAD-PRG (OK701); nice flight, great service, hope OK could survive this crisis without any more "casualties".

Odpočívej v pokoji kapitána

Best Regards
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

asteriskceo

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 am

Quoting Tupolev160 (Reply 1):

What does his death have to do with the greatness of the airline?

bjorn14

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 12):
Also after landing the plane has to stay on the runway because the ATR can´t be taxi by the F/O..

A little bit OT. Really? Have they fixed this problem in the new -600s?

May the Captain rest in peace.   
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

migair54

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:36 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 15):
A little bit OT. Really? Have they fixed this problem in the new -600s?

I don´t think so.... I haven´t seen the cockpit yet... but in the pics there´s not steering in the right....

The only wat to taxi the plane from the F/O side is setting the steering OFF and using differential braking but it´s not recommended it might cause brakes overheat.....

MFranssen33

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

Wow kinda shocked!

I was yesterday in Prague, when we requested start-up we had to wait because of this emergency. At that moment we didn't knew it was a medical emergency. Then when the ATR came in it parked on the 60s or 70s parking stands and then the ambulance came. So we thought maybe a passenger who got sick/not feeling well. Very sad to hear that the captain died.

May the captain rest in peace.

[Edited 2012-02-16 03:45:32]

Shany

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 pm

ETOPS - Engines Turn Or People Swim

LOWS

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm curious...where the passengers informed that the pilot had passed away?

Braniff747SP

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 pm

RIP to the pilot.

What a statement. To use someone's death to drive your agenda... What kind of union is this?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Tupolev160

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 14):

Nothing - the airline is decaying without any link to this death. Is just a set of negative conditions getting together.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Checo77
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 19):
I'm curious...where the passengers informed that the pilot had passed away?

What I read in the news later is they did not know. They were just told "to prepare for an emergency landing".

After landing, evebody saw how they are moving the capitain to an ambulance, everybody was in shock.

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

piper737

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am

This sad event shows the reason why pilots should go on pension at age 55.
It's a fact that the risk of health problems rises exponentially at that age.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos