Jamake1

Alaska Airlines CEO, Bill Ayer To Retire

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Brad Tilden has been named successor.

'Got to credit Ayer's leadership for AS' strong position and financial performance.

Full press release below:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bill-A...-Alaska-prnews-1752334667.html?x=0
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

redrooster3

RE: Alaska Airlines CEO, Bill Ayer To Retire

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm

My favorite airline,

Slightly off topic, how is AS so successful in these times?
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

MountainFlyer

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Definitely my favorite airline as well. I fly AS whenever possible.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

Italianflyer

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting redrooster3 (Reply 1):
Slightly off topic, how is AS so successful in these times?

- code share
- productive labor contracts
-code share
-captive audience in a mineral rich state where driving people/freight isn't an option
-code share
-conservative growth and fiscal discipline
-code share

I wish him well in retirement...he is leaving a solid, well-run operation as his legacy.

[Edited 2012-02-16 08:31:50]

hiflyeras

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Congratulations to Brad Tilden...an approachable, genuine, strong leader who has played a big part in the current succuss of the company. He will take AS even further and higher. 2 for 1 stock split today announced for Alaska Air Group as well....a big vote of confidence regarding Tilden's turn at the helm and the future of AAG.

catiii

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 3):
- code share
-code share
-captive audience in a mineral rich state where driving people/freight isn't an option
-code share
-code share

You forgot their expansive code sharing arrangements.  

In all seriousness, they have written the book for how a mid-size regional carrier can not only survive in times of economic turmoil, but also in times of massive consolidation.

SANFan

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Wow, what a surprise. I wish Mr. Ayer happiness and success in whatever he takes on next (will he really "retire"?) and congratulate him on the amazing job he's done with TAAG! A job (incredibly) well done!

I am glad to see Mr. Tilden taking the reigns and know he will keep things on the same path of growth and success. I look forward to a great future for Alaska and Horizon!

bb

seabosdca

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Great execution of an innovative and thoughtful business plan.

In particular, continuing to play two of the majors against each other using codeshares and FF benefits is a masterstroke. It makes it very hard for either major to swallow AS, while bringing AS a lot of business.

I root for AS because it's my hometown airline but also because it consistently gives me a solid travel experience. Of course I've experienced delays and annoyances on AS, but never had a trip descend into "cluster***k" territory as often seems to happen on the majors.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 5):
Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 3):
- code share
-code share
-code share
-code share

You forgot their expansive code sharing arrangements.

In all seriousness, they have written the book for how a mid-size regional carrier can not only survive in times of economic turmoil, but also in times of massive consolidation.

Yeah, yet another reason for their success is their extensive code share agreements with AA, DL and to a lesser degree QF, AF, KL, LA, FI, EK, KE, etc.

Staying independent is another very smart move on their part. They have positioned themselves extremely well to remain independent and successful long long after many people have predicted their demise. As I have posted many times on A.net, my belief is that say DL buying out AS might flatter Richard Anderson's ego and maybe (big maybe) line the pockets of a few very short term investors, but just about everyone else would lose except for WN (long term shareholders, customers, employees, communities). It appears that Ayers and leadership see this too and have worked hard to make sure they remain independent and successful and not ancient history like PSA.

[Edited 2012-02-16 10:04:40]

as739x

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Well Congrats to both. Ayer, despite the usual company bashing was a great CEO when I worked there and it was nice to have a CEO know me by name. Brad, IMHO will be a great leader too. He is a pleasant conversation as well and was very receptive the few times I met him. AS is in good hands.

[Edited 2012-02-16 09:56:28]
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

coopdogyo

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:08 am

The other big news is a 2 for 1 split and a 50 million dollar share buyback program so it looks like AS feels like it is still going strong.

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 am

Quoting as739x (Reply 9):
AS is in good hands.

I agree. I think Tilden will be a much better fit as AS CEO. I have no ill will towards Ayer, but some of the stuff he did was not the kind of things I agreed with. I hope they bring back the SEA rampers soon. This was one of the things I did not like.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

hiflyeras

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 11):
I hope they bring back the SEA rampers soon. This was one of the things I did not like.

I would love to see this as well but can't imagine it will happen. Was there ever a final court-ruling and settlement over the replacement of the SEA ramp?

AirframeAS

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 12):
Was there ever a final court-ruling and settlement over the replacement of the SEA ramp?

I don't know, but I remember something about that the court sided with the union on the wrongful termination part, I believe. Or it might have been something else. I don't know if the final ruling ever came about. Someone else would know though.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

nonfirm

Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:13 am

I hope they bring back the SEA rampers soon.

Not gonna happen.Wishful thinking .

Congrats to Brad and Happy Retirement to Bill.He did what needed to be done to make Alaska Airlines a strong company.

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):
Was there ever a final court-ruling and settlement over the replacement of the SEA ramp?

I don't know, but I remember something about that the court sided with the union on the wrongful termination part, I believe. Or it might have been something else. I don't know if the final ruling ever came about. Someone else would know though.

Unless I'm mistaken, it essentially came down to the court saying that even though the company wasn't necessarily in the right to remove the IAM workers from the SEA ramp, the company provided well over and above what would have been called for contractually and that there was essentially no remedy available.

Bottom line, the IAM will not be returning to the SEA ramp for AS.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

GentFromAlaska

Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:11 am

Mr Ayers fair winds and following seas.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.