jparker45pts
Topic Author

Aviation Dissertation Help

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Guys…..

Im a Geography student at Edinburgh Univeristy, just about to embark on my dissertation. Im torn between doing the paper on two essay titles (1) The impact of Low Cost Airlines on Air Traffic in the UK and has it's effect been exaggerated by the financial crisis (2) The impact of the financial crisis on the geography of air traffic volumes in the UK.

I was wondering weather I could get your opinion on these titles, and weather anyone knows how i could get access to data? Also I have a massive interest in aviation, so if anyone would like to suggest some titles they think might be more intersting, then any posts will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Josh

macilree

RE: Aviation Dissertation Help

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Josh, the UK CAA has published some reports that you might find interesting/useful. See my blog posts on 21 May 2009 and 22 March 2009 for links.
John Macilree

macilree

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:59 pm

The CAA web site also has UK Aviation Statistics.
John Macilree

rampart

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:16 am

Geographer here. (look at my profile). On question 2, are you suggesting that air traffic volume varies spatially, and that this spatial variation has been altered by the financial crisis? I'm sure it does vary, between markets, not sure if I'd term that as "spatial". Unless you mean regions or clusters of markets. Just curious as to what you mean by the geography of air traffic.

Not related to your study, but here's a paper a least in your same field:
Tierney, S., and M. Kuby. 2008. Airline and Airport Choice by Passengers in Multi-Airport Regions: The Effect of Southwest Airlines. Professional Geographer 60(1): 15-32. [It's an older study, WN now uses a very different model.]

-Rampart

jparker45pts
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for your help so far much appreciated... By the 'geography of air traffic', i was thinking of investigating the changes in routes taken by airlines and the change in the supply of seats across different airlines, trying to interpret weather they are highly dependant on economic growth. Furthermore I was planning on looking at weather there was a pattern in the change of O-D travel and if hubbing strategies at can absorb the impact of the crisis.