FWAERJ
Topic Author

What's Holding Spirit Back From IND?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:53 pm

With the WN/FL merger reducing IND to one carrier on many high-volume Florida routes and LAS, I've been wondering if the time is right for NK to enter IND.

After the WN/FL dust settles, I could see NK operating a decent focus city at IND with flights to FLL/LAS/MCO/MYR/RSW to fill in the super-cheap fare void left by FL. Then again, NK is a ULCC, and IND's airline user fees have been among the highest in the Midwest (and the US) since the current terminal opened. Even though IND's fees are notoriously bad, high fees haven't deterred NK from expanding at other high-cost airports (most notably LGA and ORD). And I think that IND management might throw out some hefty incentives to lure NK to IND to cool the burn.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

point2point

RE: What's Holding Spirit Back From IND?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Thread starter):
What's Holding Spirit Back From IND?  

DEN...... LOL

And maybe one can ask this question as well of every other airport and get the same answer.

FWAERJ
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 1):
DEN...... LOL

Funny you should mention DEN. It isn't the cheapest airport to operate from, either (though DEN is much cheaper now than when it first opened).

And I was also wondering: Would HUF (Terre Haute) be an option for NK? HUF has wanted passenger service back for eons (they even bought FWA's old fire and deicing trucks for $1 for this purpose). HUF is centrally located between CMI and IND, and I'm sure that HUF would be dirt-cheap to operate from compared to IND.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

point2point

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 2):
And I was also wondering: Would HUF (Terre Haute) be an option for NK? HUF has wanted passenger service back for eons (they even bought FWA's old fire and deicing trucks for $1 for this purpose). HUF is centrally located between CMI and IND, and I'm sure that HUF would be dirt-cheap to operate from compared to IND.

From the info on the thread here about NK and DEN, it seems that NK has a list of about a 100+ places that they are considering. So I don't think that it would floor anyone if NK announced HUF - the way that it did DEN.

RamblinMan

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 am

I wouldn't rule it out in the coming years. They've got a lot of new birds coming on-line, gotta put em somewhere.

HUF might be an option too but we aren't seeing NK pursue the "alternate airports" strategy much. I'd bet they do IND when they eventually show up in the region.