MAV88
Topic Author

BOS-MIA On AA

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I noticed that AA runs 5 flights from Boston down to Miami all leaving Logan before 11. The answer may be obvious, but why have so much lift down to Miami from Boston so early in the morning?

aamd11

RE: BOS-MIA On AA

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

I would assume that it would be feed for the South American routes ex-MIA that drives that capacity.

SurfandSnow

RE: BOS-MIA On AA

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Flights leaving BOS for MIA that early in the morning are designed to reach MIA in time for the late morning/early afternoon Caribbean departures. Plenty and plenty of Bostonians trying to escape the harsh New England winters after all.

Bear in mind that until recently, AA was a major player out of BOS with tons of nonstop service to the Caribbean. As B6 has grown, AA has dropped everything - even SJU - except for seasonal STT, presumably only because B6 can't offer nonstop service in both directions on that route but AA can (the powerful 757 can rocket off their short runway, but B6's A320s can't get out of there and up to BOS with an acceptable payload). Virtually all of the BOS-Caribbean traffic must now connect through MIA, although I imagine they send a bit through JFK too.

Quoting aamd11 (Reply 1):
I would assume that it would be feed for the South American routes ex-MIA that drives that capacity.

Not unless you want to sit around MIA all day until the late night bank of redeye departures to South America. Anyone flying BOS-South America would surely take a later flight from BOS...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!