olddominion727
Topic Author

CO Finally Flies Into The Sunset Mar 3.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Just had a quarterly meeting with the great sales team at UA. Midnight the CO brand, carrier 005 will no longer be in operation. I don't know if this has been reported yet, so if it has, forgive me. It appears that all but 10 airports will make the signage change deadline. The reservation systems will be down from midnight-2am central time when UA switches from their old system of Apollo to Continental's. At the same time the UA desks in the philippines will finally be moving back to HOU (thank goodness)!

Four tears have been created on the new frequent flier program 25 silver,50 gold,75 platnium,100 executive platnium. The top-tiered folks should have already received an email/packets with their new United One Pass Account #: the lower levels can go onto www.UA.com and get their new account numbers.

Partially unused CO tickets should be exchanged by the close of business Mar 2. Any CO MCO's will not be good after Mar 2 for agency exchange. They will need to be submitted to UA for an electronic exchange voucher and UA will have to process the exchange.

This is from my notes and the information they passed out to us.

RIP CO/005

AirCalSNA

RE: CO Finally Flies Into The Sunset Mar 3.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 am

So no more overseas reservations center?

olddominion727
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 am

I think they're still going to outsource to India, but the UA workers are coming home! I have a new respect for UA (CO)... CO never had Philippine call centers...

MillwallSean

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 am

A pity the Philippines desk were one of the best assets UA had. They were awesome to deal with, great customer service attitude.
Miles better than anything ive ever gotten from the US based ones.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

Rdh3e

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting olddominion727 (Reply 2):

I think they're still going to outsource to India, but the UA workers are coming home! I have a new respect for UA (CO)... CO never had Philippine call centers...

The Philippines is the BEST place to outsource anything to with respect to other outsourcing centers. The PH was part of the US until '46 and they still speak great english, have a western style system of education, and are very friendly people. While you can hate on outsourcing, the Philippines is still probably the "closest" to home, regardless of the distance.

ikramerica

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am

I'm glad it's happening March 3 and not February29/March 1 as rumored in the past (Apollo contract was supposed to end February 29). But I guess everyone thought it was more wise to do the switch during the traditional IT Saturday night dark period than a Wednesday night.

Works for me. I'm flying out March 1 on an award ticket with CO's system on a LH carrier, but want to switch flights to a non-stop on Swiss who doesn't open award seats to non-MilePlan airlines in F and J sometimes until morning of. The last thing I needed was to not be able to do so because the system was in the crapper like B6's switch.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

UnitedTristar

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 1):

The call center they are refering to is not a res center, I don't think a decision has been announced regarding Indian res centers

-m

olddominion727
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 am

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 4):

I don't hate the philippines at all. they are great islands/country. This has nothing to do with politics etc., it's about a world-wide United States of America flagship carrier. When we have people in the home country they respresent unemployed and homeless, we need to do better--we need to feed them--let them earn their wage for their families. As ANY nation would do for their citizens. I doubt Philippine Airlines would keep a call-center in the United States if the roles were exactly opposite.

dsuairptman

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 am

Farewell Continental and thank you for being the last legacy airline that had respect for what that was.

Big thumbs down to Tilton/Smisek/Wall St. bankers for destroying this. The colors live on, but that means jack.
GEAUX SAINTS!

AWACSooner

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting olddominion727 (Thread starter):
At the same time the UA desks in the philippines will finally be moving back to HOU (thank goodness)!

Too bad they still won't close their pathetic call center in India. They came up with new and creative ways to insult me every time I called them with an issue that they obviously cared nothing about.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 3):
A pity the Philippines desk were one of the best assets UA had. They were awesome to deal with, great customer service attitude.

This!

boeing773er

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 am

I'm very sad to see CO be gone, forever.

They were by far my favorite US carrier, but good thing CO management seems to control the new company. Hopefully keep up with CO's high standard of service.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

dsuairptman

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 am

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 10):
They were by far my favorite US carrier, but good thing CO management seems to control the new company. Hopefully keep up with CO's high standard of service.

Smisek won't. He has no respect for CO or what Bethune and the CO people built. He destroyed CO and what made it great for his own pocket book and those of a few select others.
GEAUX SAINTS!

Victr

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 am

a shout out to the best air carrier in the world always got me home

god speed co i will fly u in the future as united!!!      
GO United Air Lines GO Newark Liberty Intl Airport

ghifty

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 am

No more proud birds with golden tails. Only sad birds with ugly UNITED titles. Hopefully UA will bring back their "flying the friendly skies" slogan.
Fly Delta Jets

ual757

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 am

Four tears have been created on the new frequent flier program 25 silver,50 gold,75 platnium,100 executive platnium. The top-tiered folks should have already received an email/packets with their new United One Pass Account #: the lower levels can go onto www.UA.com and get their new account numbers.

Premier Silver, Premier Gold, Premier Platinum, and Premier 1K (not EXP - that's AA's term).

RyanairGuru

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 am

Quoting Victr (Reply 12):
a shout out to the best air carrier in the world always got me home

god speed co

Here Here

Without going into lengthy reminisences and tear-jerking tales, CO has a very VERY special place in my heart. They truly formed part of my childhood, and it is sad to see them go. I just wish I'd had one final opportunity to fly them, but that's not very easy down here...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

CapEd388

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:49 am

It is very sad indeed. I had read that this day was coming some time in the coming days, but its sad to learn of the actual date when the Continental name will be gone.

They also hold a special place in my heart. Continental was the airline I flew on, the very first time that I flew and they were also the airline I have flown on the most and they are also the ones that have the largest presence in my local airport. It will definitely be a sad day on March 3rd.

They are a great airline and I hope that some of Continental's culture and personality rubs off on the new UA. Best wishes to the new United.

CapEd388
388 346 77W 787

N505fx

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 am

the lower levels can go onto www.UA.com and get their new account numbers.

What? The lowe level Mileage Plus members are going to have their numbers issued by UnderArmor? How strange.

Max Q

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:36 am

Quoting dsuairptman (Reply 8):

Farewell Continental and thank you for being the last legacy airline that had respect for what that was.

Big thumbs down to Tilton/Smisek/Wall St. bankers for destroying this. The colors live on, but that means jack.
Quoting dsuairptman (Reply 11):

Smisek won't. He has no respect for CO or what Bethune and the CO people built. He destroyed CO and what made it great for his own pocket book and those of a few select others.

I could not agree more.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

qantasguy

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 am

I will miss CO too. I remember flying the old 747-200s and the DC-10s in and out of Australia. We'd go via Honolulu and Auckland. Rough old birds sometimes, like the Pan Am ones. I must say tho, and I know there are those of you who don't agree, but I've always had a pleasant experience with the call center in India when I book through United. Now, I'd prefer to have the jobs here in the US, but I've always enjoyed my chats with them in India. If I could remember their names, I'd list them here because they made a difference. There was this one girl, Soonja Masters, who worked at the Delta check-in counter at DFW, she was so pleasant, I remember her name after all these years. Just saying, it makes a difference when you're always traveling to have nice folks along the way.
Airplanes Flown on..B-727-100, B-727-200, DC-9, F-27, B-707, B-717, B-737, B-747SP, B-747-100, B-747-200, B-747-300, B74

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Just had a quarterly meeting with the great sales team at UA. Midnight the CO brand, carrier 005 will no longer be in operation.

What about COA1046/1045 (IAH-CCS-IAH) which still uses the "Continental" call sign, is March 3rd the end of that as well?
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

C010T3

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 20):
What about COA1046/1045 (IAH-CCS-IAH) which still uses the "Continental" call sign, is March 3rd the end of that as well?

Well, possibly. United had its US-Venezuela authority strangely renewed or awarded yesterday. It was part of a Continental application pending since 2003:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=DOT-OST-1997-2516-0006

Chicagoflight

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 pm

That $250,000,000 in profit sharing didn't go into Smisek's pocket and a select few others.

All you negative nellies need to get over yourselves.

Mr. Varney's two airlines.... United at last.

[Edited 2012-02-22 06:08:25]

Rdh3e

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Quoting olddominion727 (Reply 7):
When we have people in the home country they respresent unemployed and homeless, we need to do better--we need to feed them--let them earn their wage for their families. As ANY nation would do for their citizens. I doubt Philippine Airlines would keep a call-center in the United States if the roles were exactly opposite.

That is a topic for another thread, but I'd be willing to bet that those employees in the Philippines call center speak far better english and have much better computer skills than pretty much any homeless person. Most homeless need mental couseling, not just a job. A profound number of homeless have some sort of mental disability which many times contributed to their current lot in life. It's very sad, but outsourcing has next to nothing to do with homelessness. Joblessness, well we can discuss that in private because it's largely a political issue and we obviously disagree.

Quoting ghifty (Reply 13):
No more proud birds with golden tails.

Ummmmm???

Quoting ghifty (Reply 13):
Only sad birds with ugly UNITED titles.

How can metal objects be sad again? And why are they sad?

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 22):
That $250,000,000 in profit sharing didn't go into Smisek's pocket and a select few others.

Correct, anyone the top 4-5 layers of management is exempt from the profit sharing payouts, I don't want to go into org chart specifics, but basically Smisek doesn't get it, his directs don't get it, their directs don't get it, their directs don't get it, and their directs don't get it. Then there is the rest of us, splitting it down here at the bottom  

ULMFlyer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 9):
Too bad they still won't close their pathetic call center in India. They came up with new and creative ways to insult me every time I called them with an issue that they obviously cared nothing about.

Yesterday I called the Elite desk and instead of being transferred to the Prez Platinum Desk as always happened, I was surprised to be talking to an Indian dude. It went fine, but I don't know, it just didn't feel right. I've had some outstanding experiences dealing with CO people in the US, who've gone out of their way to help me and now I have to struggle to understand someone's accent. I hope it's just a transition thing.
Let's go Pens!

COEWR787

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:44 pm

My my.... we are being a bit melodramatic aren't we? Smisek is no angel, but "destroyed CO"? Get real  

tommy767

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 15):

I'm going to play devils advocate here....

I don't mean to rain on the parade here but let's put everything into perspective. CO was a highly rated airline but they needed the merger with UA as much as NW needed DL. They sought out UA's network and fleet to mature and grow in a truly tough global economy. They were not nearly as popular outside of CLE, IAH, and EWR (and the CLE hub by 2008 was a completely joke) but certainly had their cult following.

Thus far, the merger seems to be working out so far at least on a profitability scale. They obviously need to work on labor relations, big time (kind of ironic considering the CEO is an ex-CO executive) but I'm sure they will get through it hell or high water.

I also feel that despite the merger coming along, the CO name has stuck around long enough. During the DL/NW merger, the NW name was phased out overnight at some airports and early on into the merger. It's actually surprising that CO signage and representation is still in full swing at some airports: Newark/Liberty especially. Everyone around here still refers to the merged airline as "Continental" -- even after SOC. Now that obviously has to change.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

mogandoCI

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 10):

What Smisek did was allow the perfect merger to happen - one that pairs the South and NYC with the West and AsiaPac. Overlap is near zero (sans minor CLE headache), and broad fleet commonality (757, 767, 777, albeit with diff engines).

Without the merger, CO would have remained a strong but niche player. With the merger, the new UA hubs control the tech center (SFO), the energy center (IAH), the political center (IAD), the financial centers (NYC+ORD), and the fashion/media centers (NYC+LAX) of the nation. Other than a MIA-equivalent, what else could one ask for?

United787

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 27):

What Smisek did was allow the perfect merger to happen - one that pairs the South and NYC with the West and AsiaPac. Overlap is near zero (sans minor CLE headache), and broad fleet commonality (757, 767, 777, albeit with diff engines).

Without the merger, CO would have remained a strong but niche player. With the merger, the new UA hubs control the tech center (SFO), the energy center (IAH), the political center (IAD), the financial centers (NYC+ORD), and the fashion/media centers (NYC+LAX) of the nation. Other than a MIA-equivalent, what else could one ask for?

Well put, it is the perfect merger, creating, for the first time, a flag carrier for the USA the covers the entire nation with excellent hub locations and a network that is everything PanAm should have been but never was! The new UA is something that PMUA and PMCO could have never been!

No doubt CO had become a great airline in the last 10-15 years and will have a lot of things to teach UA, a lot. But UA was also doing a lot of things right in the past 3-5 years and will also have some things to teach CO. The new UA will be different from both airlines and has the potential to become amazing...

That said, I always wondered how much economic advantage CO had in the past 10-15 years that gave it a leg up and allowed it to become the great airline it was. The two economic advantages I am thinking of is:

1) All 3 of their hubs were "fortress" hubs (or pretty close to it). Maybe CLE wasn't because WN was there.... But I would imagine that the lack of direct competition would have allowed them to charge at least a little more than the average, maybe a lot more. Sometime a little more can mean the difference between being in the red and being in the black. Being in the black can allow you to do things other airlines can't, like provide meals on domestic flights...

2) Their largest hub, IAH, was also home to one of the healthiest industries, energy (mainly oil), especially in the past 3-5 years. I would imagine that when DL, NW, UA, US & AA were struggling because business travel way way down, CO was the airline of choice for ExxonMobil, Shell etc.

Flame away...my assumptions above are not based on fact but just that, assumptions...

justloveplanes

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:10 pm

The reservation systems will be down from midnight-2am central time when UA switches from their old system of Apollo to Continental's.

How long has the decision been in place to keep the One Pass vs. Mileage Plus name? I guess the name went with the reservation system.....

At the same time the UA desks in the philippines will finally be moving back to HOU (thank goodness)!

What precisely was being done in the Philippines desk? I don't think PMUA ever had flights to Manila, just PMCO

tommy767

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Quoting justloveplanes (Reply 29):

Honestly, why would they have any intention on keeping the Eastern Airlines frequent flyer program name to represent the new United? Did it even stand a chance over MP?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

aznmadsci

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting justloveplanes (Reply 29):
I don't think PMUA ever had flights to Manila,

PMUA used to fly SEL-MNL from Gimpo before cancelling the flight many years ago.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

hohd

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

CO has been my favourite carrier, since the 80's when it had a hub in Denver. They are the last carrier to stop offering meals and reluctantly started charging for bags. But with the new regime (Smisek) is more aggressive in adding ancilliary charges. Hope that the new UA starts offering free alcohol on the TATL flights for economy - only UA and US do not provide this perk.

But CO's legacy still lives on, the frequent flyer program will continue to look like old onepass program (except for a name change) and reservation system will still resemble CO's. And in the future, may be, many of the policies might revert back to CO's.

GolfBravoRomeo

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:21 pm

The reservation systems will be down from midnight-2am central time when UA switches from their old system of Apollo to Continental's.

Any word on the cargo system?

staralliance85

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Growing up in the NYC area CO has always been my carrier of choice. Their product was the best of any US carrier and was competitive to foreign carriers. I am sad that UA is tossing BusinessFirst because I found the name very catchy and found it to bethe best premium class cabin of a US carrier. I wish that they continued their relationships with AMEX and Virgin Atlantic. They even kept VS a partner after the switch from ST to *A. Plus, a number of *A members are partners with VS. For the future, I hope they keep the Mileage Plus program the way it is because it is the Best Frequent flier program. We shall see how the New UA will be
brad Fitzpatrick

kgaiflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 3):
Miles better than anything I've ever gotten from the US based ones.

Orbitz is still in the Philippines, and their telephone agents all speak **clear** unaccented English.   

kgaiflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 22):
Mr. Varney's two airlines.... United at last.

Funny how people forget that **both** CO **and** UA were founded by the same person.  

kgaiflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 32):
But CO's legacy still lives on, the frequent flyer program will continue to look like old onepass program (except for a name change) and reservation system will still resemble CO's. And in the future, may be, many of the policies might revert back to CO's.

Then again, maybe the moon will turn to Jello.  

The merger is now two years old. I don't think too much will be reversed.

rampart

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 28):
1) All 3 of their hubs were "fortress" hubs (or pretty close to it). Maybe CLE wasn't because WN was there.... But I would imagine that the lack of direct competition would have allowed them to charge at least a little more than the average, maybe a lot more.
2) Their largest hub, IAH, was also home to one of the healthiest industries, energy (mainly oil), especially in the past 3-5 years.

Cleveland may have leverage for prices, I don't know. It is the smallest of the CO hubs. IAH may have some leverage with prices, again I don't know, but I would think sizeable competition from cross-town WN would be important. Not on international routes, however. As for EWR, CO may have been the fortress hub at that particular airport, but it was just one of three airports who also have hub operations. I would not say that CO's fares out of EWR are elevated. I can sometimes find lower fares out of LGA, but not much lower. $20-$40 less does not encourage me to drive farther and pay tolls. Anyhow, I don't think CO had any more hub advantage than UA, or AA, or US had. I would say probably NW and DL had some sizeable hub advantage, more so than CO.

-Rampart

CALTECH

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 pm

UNITED We Stand

izbtmnhd

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't know how much of a "fortress" CLE is/was. Don't forget that over the last 15 years CAK has housed a pretty fast growing FL operation. I know Bethune made a point to complain about CAK's growing influence in the region right after 9/11. I do know CLE certainly was never the fortress CVG was.

Rdh3e

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 39):

Kind of redundant no? Technically anyone who has ever worked anywhere and moved on (no matter the reason) is Ex- that thing for life. I will be an "Ex-Elementary School Student" for life...

We get it, CO people are sad to see the name go, UA people are sad to see the Tulip go and *some* people are sad to see certain parts of the leadership structure moved out.

I think we can get over it. The new company is far better than the old ones on their own.

[Edited 2012-02-22 12:20:51]

[Edited 2012-02-22 12:21:13]

rampart

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 41):

We get it, CO people are sad to see the name go, UA people are sad to see the Tulip go and *some* people are sad to see certain parts of the leadership structure moved out.

I think we can get over it.

Some people are nostalgic about an important part of their working life. Allow them that. Ever look at the websites supporting the former-employee clubs of TWA, Braniff, PSA, Ozark, Pan Am, and Frontier? Decades later, still important, even if moved on.

-Rampart

ghifty

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 36):
Funny how people forget that **both** CO **and** UA were founded by the same person.

Can anyone explain why United was originally named/called "Boeing Air Transport"?
Fly Delta Jets

Rdh3e

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 43):
Can anyone explain why United was originally named/called "Boeing Air Transport"?

Because Boeing and United were the same company. It wasn't until later the government forced them to split up. I suggest some detailed reading as that's just the 30k foot view.

Wiki is a good place to start:

"In 1927, airplane pioneer William Boeing founded his own airline, Boeing Air Transport, and began buying other airmail carriers, including Varney's. Within four years, Boeing's holdings grew to include airlines, airplane and parts manufacturing companies, and several airports. In 1929, Boeing merged his company with Pratt & Whitney to form United Aircraft and Transport Corporation (UATC). In March 1928, Boeing Air Transport, National Air Transport, Varney Airlines and Pacific Air Transport combine as United Air Lines, providing coast-to-coast passenger service and mail service. It took 27 hours to fly the route, one way."

"Following the Air Mail scandal of 1930, the Air Mail Act of 1934 banned the common ownership of manufacturers and airlines. UATC's President Philip G. Johnson was forced to resign and moved to Trans-Canada Airlines, the future Air Canada. UATC was broken into three separate companies. UATC's manufacturing interests east of the Mississippi River became United Aircraft (the future United Technologies), while its manufacturing interests west of the Mississippi became Boeing Airplane Company. The airline interests became United Air Lines. The airline company's new president, hired to make a fresh start as airmail contracts were re-awarded in 1934, was William A. Patterson, who remained as president of United Airlines until 1963.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_Airlines

[Edited 2012-02-22 13:58:03]

LH422

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm

So will this be on the night from Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday? I'm booked on CO flights on March 3 and March 4...

COEWR787

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Quoting LH422 (Reply 45):
So will this be on the night from Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday? I'm booked on CO flights on March 3 and March 4...

Night from March 2 to March 3.

CALTECH

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:30 am

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 41):
I will be an "Ex-Elementary School Student" for life...

And you will never know what it meant to be a Ex-Con,......
UNITED We Stand

tsnamm

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 33):

They are going with a completely new system based on EK's Mercatur system...going to take much longer for a unified system...

FWAERJ

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 am

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 33):

United Cargo will be getting an all-new system this April that's not currently used by either UA or CO. (It's also the reason why the PMUA Cargo website still uses the tulip... they aren't keeping the site around much longer.)
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"