staralliance85
Topic Author

UA EWR-ICN?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:51 pm

UA/CO has been adding popular routes from EWR to places like EZE and IST. The NYC area has such a big Korean population that I am shocked that CO did Not add ICN years ago. ICN is a *A hub of OZ and offers UA customers extensive connections all through Asia. That is in addition to *A hubs like NRT and PEK. DO you think it is inevitable that UA will add EWR-ICN?
brad Fitzpatrick

mogandoCI

RE: UA EWR-ICN?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting staralliance85 (Thread starter):

UA/CO has been adding popular routes from EWR to places like EZE and IST. The NYC area has such a big Korean population that I am shocked that CO did Not add ICN years ago. ICN is a *A hub of OZ and offers UA customers extensive connections all through Asia. That is in addition to *A hubs like NRT and PEK. DO you think it is inevitable that UA will add EWR-ICN?

I can envision 789 doing EWR-ICN then another 788 doing ORD-ICN. The current tag of NRT-ICN can be chopped once the 3 nonstops are in place, unless the flight breaks even itself.

STT757

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 pm

It's long been rumored, KE had their own EWR flight up until 9/11. Huge Korean population in New Jersey, especially near Palisades Park.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

United787

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 1):
788 doing ORD-ICN

I actually wonder if this route might be first...less O&D but I am guessing more connection opportunities on the ORD end...of course OZ already does that route...

mogandoCI

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 3):
I actually wonder if this route might be first...less O&D but I am guessing more connection opportunities on the ORD end...of course OZ already does that route...

OZ already does both ORD and NYC, but that shouldn't prevent UA from doing it themselves too.

Tdan

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:27 pm

EWR-ICN needs to happen very soon. Issue with the OZ connection is that the hub is directional and not conducive to beyond connectivity, whereas KE has much more of a true hub. That being said, the route would work on O&D alone from the NJ side of the Hudson
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

tommy767

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't see it as soon as say IAH-SCL but it could happen down the road.

I think the first step is just for them to do a same plane thru flight: EWR-SFO-ICN on a 777.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

tsnamm

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 am

I have been thinking about this one for some time...SEL is a top 10 destination from NYC; and has no US carrier from there. This would definitely be a great 787 destination, although I believe it could handle a 777...should have great cargo potential as well...here's hoping they do it soon....

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 6):

SCL is the 1 hole in SA)">CO/UA's deep SA network, since they pulled out a while ago from EWR. This would be doable right now with the 767-200, a good long thin route for this a/c. Perhaps they could start it with the 762 and switch to the 787 when sufficient numbers come on line, as they unload the 762 fleet.

mogandoCI

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 am

I think the first step is just for them to do a same plane thru flight: EWR-SFO-ICN on a 777.

Only if UA figures how to deal with the terminals at SFO.

At that airport, most (if not all) UA domestic flights arrive at T3 while i believe all long-haul international flights for UA depart out of Concourse G of the International Terminal (it's not the same setup as ORD where internationals depart next to domestics). So even if they offer same plane service, they would disembark you at T3, ask you to walk to Concourse G, then tow the plane over, and do the whole thing again =)

For now, EWR-NRT-ICN is the most seamless transfer.

STT757

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:51 pm

EWR-ICN, like EWR-IST, makes sense as it connects two Star Hubs. IAH-SCL might happen, but it's going to be rough without a partner.

SonomaFlyer

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 8):
At that airport, most (if not all) UA domestic flights arrive at T3 while i believe all long-haul international flights for UA depart out of Concourse G of the International Terminal (it's not the same setup as ORD where internationals depart next to domestics). So even if they offer same plane service, they would disembark you at T3, ask you to walk to Concourse G, then tow the plane over, and do the whole thing again =)

Moving from the domestic to international terminal for passengers is no biggie at SFO. As far as one plane service, who says the incoming flight can't park at the International Terminal? As long as there is gate space, it can happen. Remember that Virgin America flew out of the international terminal while renovations to the domestic terminals was under way.

fxramper

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 pm

This would be a great addition to EWR and help me get to work a lot easier.   

CO787EWR

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Quoting tsnamm (Reply 7):
SCL is the 1 hole in SA)">CO/UA's deep SA network, since they pulled out a while ago from EWR. This would be doable right now with the 767-200, a good long thin route for this a/c. Perhaps they could start it with the 762 and switch to the 787 when sufficient numbers come on line, as they unload the 762 fleet.

Aren't the 762's really hard to make money with... they have a lot of seats up front that you would need to fill.

av8r915

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:01 pm

This would be doable right now with the 767-200, a good long thin route for this a/c. Perhaps they could start it with the 762 and switch to the 787 when sufficient numbers come on line, as they unload the 762 fleet.
CO 762s don't have bunk beds for the flight crew. A 4th pilot & crew rest is required on flights scheduled over 12 hours.

[Edited 2012-02-25 08:02:29]

codc10

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm

The 762 does not have enough seats to generate the revenue to make such a long flight profitable, nor is its business class product acceptable for a flight to Asia. In this fuel environment, the airplane is a dog (from a P&L standpoint) and you won't see it much longer in the UA fleet.

Tdan

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Quoting av8r915 (Reply 13):
This would be doable right now with the 767-200, a good long thin route for this a/c. Perhaps they could start it with the 762 and switch to the 787 when sufficient numbers come on line, as they unload the 762 fleet.
CO 762s don't have bunk beds for the flight crew. A 4th pilot & crew rest is required on flights scheduled over 12 hours.

IAH-SCL would be significantly shorter than 12 hours, so this wouldn't be an issue.

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 14):
The 762 does not have enough seats to generate the revenue to make such a long flight profitable, nor is its business class product acceptable for a flight to Asia. In this fuel environment, the airplane is a dog (from a P&L standpoint) and you won't see it much longer in the UA fleet.

The 763s are marginally more expensive to operate than the 762s, so really any incremental passengers and cargo would make a 763 more preferable than the 762 on any route. It's not that the 762s cannot make money, it's just that the 763s can almost always make more money. With UA's domestic 763s receiving the new long-haul 2-class interiors, the 762s no longer have a place in the combined fleet.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

av8r915

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting Tdan (Reply 15):
IAH-SCL would be significantly shorter than 12 hours, so this wouldn't be an issue.

My bad. I saw "SEL" earlier in that post, so I got confused with Seoul/ICN.

[Edited 2012-02-25 12:46:51]

m11stephen

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:02 pm

With UA's already large Asian network it seems inevitable and a great addition.

Quoting CO787EWR (Reply 12):
Aren't the 762's really hard to make money with... they have a lot of seats up front that you would need to fill.

Last I heard the 767-200s were being retired...?
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

IrishAyes

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting Tdan (Reply 5):

EWR-ICN needs to happen very soon. Issue with the OZ connection is that the hub is directional and not conducive to beyond connectivity, whereas KE has much more of a true hub. That being said, the route would work on O&D alone from the NJ side of the Hudson

Really? Very interesting - ORDICN on OZ is going from 4x to daily starting this summer, alongside what is already a 10x operation on KE from ORD. So, if the market is large enough here to support it, then definitely the case remains the same in NJ
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

drerx7

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:22 pm

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 10):
As far as one plane service, who says the incoming flight can't park at the International Terminal? As long as there is gate space, it can happen. Remember that Virgin America flew out of the international terminal while renovations to the domestic terminals was under way.

Yep

Not exactly accurate.

I have arrived SFO concourse G on a UA744 from ORD and that bird continued to SYD, albeit with a different flight number. Last month I left concourse G to IAH on the 763 and next to us was a 763 departure to KOA. My 763 arrived from OGG.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

codc10

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 am

Quoting Tdan (Reply 15):
It's not that the 762s cannot make money, it's just that the 763s can almost always make more money.

Right, but on a 6000nm sector, standard RASM/CASM figures and fuel prices at current levels, the 762's breakeven LF is somewhere around 110%, unless my math is way off.

[Edited 2012-02-25 16:21:17]

LAXdude1023

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 am

Out of curiosity, if IAH-SCL was high on the list, whats stopping them?

They have the plane that would already be suited for it in the 762. They didnt need a merger or a 787 to do it.
It is what it is...

drerx7

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:38 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 21):
They have the plane that would already be suited for it in the 762. They didnt need a merger or a 787 to do it.

They had only what? 10 762s? CO had better more profitable (at the time) uses for the 762. Too bad the 762 couldn't have been reconfigured to a more profitable CASM.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
It's long been rumored, KE had their own EWR flight up until 9/11. Huge Korean population in New Jersey, especially near Palisades Park.

If this is the case, then why hasn't any Asian carrier operated service from Korea to EWR?

Tdan

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 am

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 20):
Right, but on a 6000nm sector, standard RASM/CASM figures and fuel prices at current levels, the 762's breakeven LF is somewhere around 110%, unless my math is way off.

Breakeven LF varies by the route since it is a function of yield and on-board revenue passengers. Your math may be right for a particular route, but since the measure depends on the revenue generated, there is not one single break-even LF number that can be applied fleet wide unless you are using the average (in which case, it should be a weighted average aggregating the total fleet fixed costs divided by the total revenue generated less the variable costs).

jporterfi

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 am

estics). So even if they offer same plane service, they would disembark you at T3, ask you to walk t

Couldn't they just have the domestic flight use a gate at the International Terminal, and therefore avoid the confusion of having passengers walk over? Or they could tell all the passengers who are continuing on the international flight to stay on the plan while they tow it over to the international terminal 

christao17

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:23 am

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 25):
Couldn't they just have the domestic flight use a gate at the International Terminal, and therefore avoid the confusion of having passengers walk over? Or they could tell all the passengers who are continuing on the international flight to stay on the plan while they tow it over to the international terminal

I've flown domestic flights into the International terminal many times. There is no problem with that and it happens regularly. As for towing passengers on the plane, that wouldn't happen. The plane would need to be cleared for cleaning before the international segment continues.
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...

codc10

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 am

Quoting Tdan (Reply 24):
Breakeven LF varies by the route since it is a function of yield and on-board revenue passengers. Your math may be right for a particular route, but since the measure depends on the revenue generated, there is not one single break-even LF number that can be applied fleet wide unless you are using the average (in which case, it should be a weighted average aggregating the total fleet fixed costs divided by the total revenue generated less the variable costs).

Exactly, but since I don't have access to their proprietary numbers, I can only estimate with public figures. It may not be 100% accurate but it is illustrative of the challenges of operating the 767-200ER on long sectors in the current CO configuration in this fuel environment.

This is a major reason why we have not seen the 762ER on routes over 4500nm in CO service, despite the capability of the -224ER to fly such distances.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 23):
If this is the case, then why hasn't any Asian carrier operated service from Korea to EWR?

Korean air did until 9/11, now Korean air provides buses connecting Bergen County NJ with their flights at JFK.

Quote:
Koreatown, Palisades Park, or Palisades Park Koreatown, in the borough of Palisades Park, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA, in the New York City Metropolitan Area, is one of the largest and fastest growing ethnic Korean enclaves outside of Korea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown,_Palisades_Park

washingtonian

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 28):
now Korean air provides buses connecting Bergen County NJ with their flights at JFK.

This is very interesting. On a daily basis?

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 29):
This is very interesting. On a daily basis?

Yeah, it's a charter company.

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 28):
Korean air did until 9/11, now Korean air provides buses connecting Bergen County NJ with their flights at JFK.

That's interesting - and ridiculous. If northern NJ has such a high population of Koreans as you said earlier, the fact that there hasn't been a flight in more than 10 years is saying:

a) there isn't really such a high population of Koreans in northern NJ or

b) there is a high population of Koreans in northern NJ but they simply don't want to fly back to Korea

c) the Koreans in northern NJ are treated as "second class" customers and provided with a bus service to an airport twice as far away (JFK) as their own, local, "world-class," international airport (EWR).

I mean, really, do you think there would be any chance in hell that a major international airline would serve EWR only and say to its NYC customers "here's a bus we run once a day, endure an up to 2 hour bus ride snarled in traffic to get through NYC on the way to EWR because we don't consider JFK worth our time to provide a flight, even though there is a "very high population" of you - our customers - living right down the road from JFK.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 31):
That's interesting - and ridiculous. If northern NJ has such a high population of Koreans as you said earlier, the fact that there hasn't been a flight in more than 10 years is saying:

There's a lot more that goes into route planning than just population, for instance Korean air serves Atlanta. Do you really think there are more Koreans in Georgia than New Jersey? Same with Washington Dulles, do you think there are more Koreans in Northern Virginia than New Jersey? NO. Korean air decided to consolidate their NYC/NJ services to JFK, which is 24 miles from Palisades Park NJ (Korea Town). For comparison EWR is 19 miles from Palisades Park, so it's not that much further (five miles further to JFK).

hoons90

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Just a thought...

KE has, within the past decade, invested quite a bit at JFK in terms of facilities, etc. IIRC They are a part owner of T1 (and were involved in its construction as well), and they also have significant cargo facilities there. Perhaps they feel that consolidating all of their operations at JFK provides a better return on their investment, as opposed to having EWR cannibalize some of JFK's traffic figures.

After all, although there's a significant Korean community West of the Hudson, one must also remember that there's also a significantly large Korean population in Queens as well. Also, while ethnic ties are important, it certainly isn't the be all and end all in terms of generating demand.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 31):
a) there isn't really such a high population of Koreans in northern NJ or

94,000 Korean Americans in New Jersey, 3rd largest population in the Country after California and New York.

Quote:
The ten states with the largest estimated Korean American populations were California (452,000; 1.2%), New York (141,000, 0.7%), New Jersey (94,000, 1.1%), Virginia (71,000, 0.9%), Texas (68,000, 0.3%), Washington (62,400, 0.9%), Illinois (61,500, 0.5%), Georgia (52,500, 0.5%), Maryland (49,000, 0.8%), and Pennsylvania (41,000, 0.3%)
Quote:
The per capita Korean American population of Bergen County, New Jersey, in the New York City Metropolitan Area, 6.3% by the 2010 United States Census,[6] is the highest of any county in the United States, with eight of the nation's top ten municipalities by percentage of Korean population;[7] while the concentration of Korean Americans in Palisades Park, New Jersey, within Bergen County, is the highest of any municipality in the United States,[8] at 52% of the population
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_American

UA will launch EWR-ICN. It's one of those routes, like EWR-TLV and EWR-LIS, where the local demographics will drive demand.

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

You're all over the place. FIrst you state that the Korean population in New Jersey is "huge" as if that will somehow justify having a nonstop between EWR and Korea:

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):

Then when challenged as to why there hasn't been a nonstop flight in over 10 years, you contradict your earlier assertion as to why a flight from EWR to Korea will work:

Quoting STT757 (Reply 32):
There's a lot more that goes into route planning than just population,

And finally you provide us with a number of Korean Americans living in New Jersey. Whether that is "huge" or not is up for debate I suppose:

Quoting STT757 (Reply 34):
94,000 Korean Americans in New Jersey, 3rd largest population in the Country after California and New York.

hoons90

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I think that STT757 means that an EWR-ICN service is likely, just not on KE metal.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

fly2yyz

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 pm

I think if KE sees an economic reasoning to justify having two flights to the same city/region i.e LHR and LGW (slot reasoning?) then it will.

As stated before they had a JFK and an EWR flight a decade ago, but with significant investment made by KE at JFK such as their sizeable cargo facility, their lounge at T1, at part of the T1 group...it doesnt look favorable.

Maybe we could see OZ operating a separate trip to EWR to have better connectivity with UA?

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Forgot to mention, besides having the third largest Korean American population in the US, Cliffside Park NJ (next to the aforementioned Palisades Park) is home to Samsung's North American Headquarters.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsu...sses/businessarea/usdivisions.html

Business + Cultural ties.

hoons90

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting Fly2yyz (Reply 37):
I think if KE sees an economic reasoning to justify having two flights to the same city/region i.e LHR and LGW (slot reasoning?) then it will.

The scenario in London is a bit different because they have less freedom to expand at LHR than they do at JFK.

Quoting Fly2yyz (Reply 37):
Maybe we could see OZ operating a separate trip to EWR to have better connectivity with UA?

I'm surprised that OZ hasn't moved to EWR already.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Besides Samsung, Hanjin also has their North American Headquarters in (Bergen County) New Jersey.

http://www.hanjin.com/hanjin/CUP_HOM_1810.do?sessLocale=en

What's interesting is that Hanjin owns Korean Air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanjin

Also Hankook Tires North American Headquarters is in New Jersey, Wayne though not Bergen County.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Comp/C...aspx?pageNum=5&subNum=3&ChildNum=1

[Edited 2012-02-26 10:21:21]

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 40):

Besides Samsung, Hanjin also has their North American Headquarters in (Bergen County) New Jersey.
Quoting STT757 (Reply 40):
What's interesting is that Hanjin owns Korean Air.

What's truly interesting is despite all these facts you keep coming up with about New Jersey, nobody has provided nonstop service from Korea to EWR in over 10 years.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 41):
What's truly interesting is despite all these facts you keep coming up with about New Jersey, nobody has provided nonstop service from Korea to EWR in over 10 years.

Exactly, which is why UA is going to launch the route.

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Before they went under Daewoo's North American headquarters was also in Bergen County NJ.

boeing773er

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 17):
Last I heard the 767-200s were being retired...?

IIRC they are, but I'm not sure how quickly this is being done.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):

So why hasn't there been nonstop service from Korea to EWR in over 10 years, since New Jersey has all these Koreans living there and Korean company headquarters there?

Why is it that all they get is a "bus to JFK" for their "air service" to Korea?

STT757

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 44):
IIRC they are, but I'm not sure how quickly this is being done.

They've already retired two, five more will be retired by the end of the year as per UA's fleet plan.

hoons90

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

A lot has changed even just within the past 4-5 years to improve market conditions for flights between Korea and the USA. South Korea was accepted into the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) in late 2008, and its economy keeps on growing to the point where it is considered to be a "Next Eleven" country--the only developed country to be included in that list so far.

If you look at the trend of capacity increases on routes between Korea and the USA for the past five years, I think it is likely that an EWR-ICN service will come eventually.

LJ

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 42):

Or the Korean pax don't mind traveling to JFK to catch the KE flight. If Samsung and Hanjin really care about a EWR service, KE would be there (KE will probably do their best to please these large KE customers). I would suspect that KE has the Hanjin corporate contract and probably the Samsung corporate contract? Why would they change to KE as UA can't offer them EWR-ICN only? Thus unless UA is able to get these corporate contracts (and they have to offer more than just EWR-ICN), there is no reason for the existence for EWR-ICN.

N62NA

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 47):
If you look at the trend of capacity increases on routes between Korea and the USA for the past five years, I think it is likely that an EWR-ICN service will come eventually.

Yes, eventually, that I would agree with you on.

Quoting LJ (Reply 48):
Thus unless UA is able to get these corporate contracts (and they have to offer more than just EWR-ICN), there is no reason for the existence for EWR-ICN.

Most likely, yes. But it truly is a hike to go from New Jersey over to JFK - even if it is on a "special" bus provided by KE.