Topic Author

Cockpit Video Of Windshear Landing DC-9-30

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am

Hello everyone,

Just came across this video of a DC-9-30 landing in CCS under what seems to be some severe wind conditions. It's said to be windshear.

Looking at the control inputs from the Captain, I would think a go-around would've been required.

At certain points of the approach, I would qualify it as a non-stabilized final approach, which back in aviation school would have required an immediate go-around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJbr9KNmTs&t=1m50s

Any thoughts?

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

raffik

RE: Cockpit Video Of Windshear Landing DC-9-30

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 am

It certainly looks blustery. They obviously felt that they could safely land in those weather conditions.
On a side note, they should clear the rubber off that runway! There must be 20 tires worth of rubber on that thing!
Good video.
- Alec

CX Flyboy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:20 am

Looks like a bit of mechanical turbulence off the high hill to the left, and quite a bit of overcontrolling by the pilot. If you look, for every big left control input he is making (Presumably to counter a perceived right roll), he almost immediately puts in a near-equal amount of right aileron, presumably to counter the left roll he has just created himself.

varig md-11

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am

Great video, thanks for the link

"any thoughts?"

perdona, but when I watch this I can't help thinking he was doing a "demo" of how he is a macho for the one filming...that's how us latino do stupid things sometimes  
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 am

Quoting VARIG MD-11 (Reply 3):
perdona, but when I watch this I can't help thinking he was doing a "demo" of how he is a macho for the one filming...that's how us latino do stupid things sometimes  

This is why I love a.net. Someone always writes the stuff I really want to say!   I have a big bias against Venezuelan pilots... at one point, instead of flying all they do is show off. You're absolutely right.

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 2):
quite a bit of overcontrolling by the pilot.

That's just what I thought. Completely unnecessary. I would've failed a bunch of check rides if I had done such thing.

varig md-11

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

Gracias for the comments, my pleasure!

Quoting 797 (Reply 4):
at one point, instead of flying all they do is show off
Quoting 797 (Reply 4):
That's just what I thought. Completely unnecessary

If you look at the brutality of his gestures and the way he handles the controls, everything say "gorilla".
He reminds me the bad boys back at school who fake macho gestures just to prove they have b....

AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

727forever

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:21 pm

and quite a bit of overcontrolling by the pilot.

I wouldn't say severe wind conditions, but certainly a blustery day. He perhaps was overcontrolling a little bit, but I would disagree with "quite a bit." Remember that the DC-9 family of airplanes have control tabs instead of hydraulic actuated ailerons so they tend to be quite spongy and slow to react at slow speeds as compared to other aircraft types. On a blustery day with gusty winds the DC-9 can be a hand full to keep aligned with a runway unless you take agressive control of the situation. In this video I agree he may be over doing it a little, but if you watch his attitude indicator it really isn't moving much when he does it which means he is in fact countering a gust induced drop of the wing. Additionally watch the throttles. He cobbs the power a few times to counter the loss of airspeed. It looks mostly to be a normal gusty approach in a DC-9 to me who has 2,000 hours flying different types of DC-9's.

727forever
727forever

seven3seven

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:10 pm

There was no windshear as there would have been an aural warning.

The approach was never unstable. Do you know the criteria?

This airplane is probably 50 years old. Ever drive a car with no power steering?

Pssh, the bank angle was never more than 5 degrees the entire approach.

Keep to your flight sims.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

cbphoto

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 7):

This airplane is probably 50 years old. Ever drive a car with no power steering?

Can't agree more! Nothing about that approach looked remotely unstable! Certain situations require you to be proactive with the flight controls, rather then reactive, and that is exactly what the Captain was doing!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

md80fanatic

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

The artificial horizon stays nicely still .... I think the relative motion of the cameraperson on the jumpseat, plus the focus on the yoke roll movement might be leading one to presume a highly unstable approach.

chimborazo

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 pm

It does look a bit like he's driving a car in an old film where the "outside" is being projected onto a screen and the driver moves the wheel back and forth constantly to simulate driving  

However, as others have said: it looks quite stable.

0newair0

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

If you ignore the control inputs and look outside the windows you'll see that the plane is mostly stable. All that we have here are some excessive control inputs by the captain.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

SuperCaravelle

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Quoting md80fanatic (Reply 9):
I think the relative motion of the cameraperson on the jumpseat,

This is indeed the main effect. If you look closely the camera wobbles a lot more than the plane, all plane movements are increased threefold in the video due to the camera. As far as I can see it, there is only one bit, just before landing, where the plane is making a sudden movement, but nothing really serious. After all, his speed, altitude and touchdown point seem to be spot on. Afterwards the plane (or the camera   ) seems to be banking left to right wildly as well, with all wheels on the ground.

I will refrain from commenting on the way the pilot flies, as I don't know the ins and outs of a DC-9.

flaps30

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Exactly what part of the aircraft does the steering column/yolk control? Based on how the captain was yanking that thing hard left and then hard right makes me wonder what that actually controls because the plane never made any sudden movements. Does anyone know what happens to the plane when you move the yolk?
every day is a good day to fly

chimborazo

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting flaps30 (Reply 13):
Exactly what part of the aircraft does the steering column/yolk control? Based on how the captain was yanking that thing hard left and then hard right makes me wonder what that actually controls because the plane never made any sudden movements. Does anyone know what happens to the plane when you move the yolk?

Seriously?!  

The left to right turning of the yolk controls the ailerons and therefore roll. I know slightly more than nothing about the DC-9 except it has servo tab controls. The flight ccvontrol surfaces produce less of an effect at lower flying speeds so need bigger inputs on any plane. On the DC-9 I believe it's mechanically linked so to get a bigger deflection (required at low speeds) you have a big yoke input.

cuban8

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm

There was no wind shear as there would have been an aural warning.

A wind shear is not defined by an aural warning. It is defined by a severe wind shift and usually you'll get an aural warning. I do agree with you that this case is not even close to a windshear though.

Quoting 0NEWAIR0 (Reply 11):
If you ignore the control inputs and look outside the windows you'll see that the plane is mostly stable. All that we have here are some excessive control inputs by the captain.

correct   
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~

tb727

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Looks pretty normal to me. You would be surprised at what your hands are doing on the yoke. I have some video of me landing the 72' and after I watched it I couldn't believe how much movement your hands are doing on a fairly breezy approach. My Captain purposely tried on the next leg to not move his hands as much and the plane was all over the place and he had to go back to what looked "abnormal" if that's all you focused on was the yoke movements.

It takes what it takes to control the airplane. Stop to stop is pretty normal in really windy conditions. My favorite conditions for landing! I love a good challenge.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

JHCRJ700

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I was expecting something a lot more intense. It almost looks like the pilot is just playing around with the controls a little bit.
RUSH

HAL

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

It was the pilot who was overcontrolling, nothing more. I've seen a small number of pilots who habitually overcontrol on final, and I have no idea why they do that, other than it may be an instinctive reaction to light turbulence. It's usually the more 'nervous' pilots that do it too. The fact that the -9 had mechanical ailerons has nothing to do with it. I jumpseated many times in the HA DC-9's years ago, and even landing in strong gusty conditions in OGG, nobody ever had to overcontrol like the Captain in the video did.

Take a close look at the horizon in the video while he's steering - he's the one moving the plane around, not the wind.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

outbackair

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am

Best comment I've seen in ages. Thank you!

Why do flight simmers seem to think they are pilots? I'm not one, so wouldn't pretend to know. Just like you wouldn't pretend to be a doctor, vet or nuclear scientist.

fridgmus

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am

yolk?
Quoting Chimborazo (Reply 14):
yolk

"Yolk"? That's part of an egg!

I believe "Yoke" is what you're after.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

Type-Rated

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25 am

If you over control the wing oscillations like that all you do is end up "chasing" them making them even worse. Correction movements should be smaller than that. Been there, done that.

But then again we weren't there were we?

[Edited 2012-02-27 16:26:25]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

JAAlbert

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 am

Ouch, harsh! Somebody missed a dose of his happy pills this morning. Since when does a person posting on A-net haveta be correct?

Quoting VARIG MD-11 (Reply 5):
If you look at the brutality of his gestures

Brutality - interesting descriptor! I don't know if I'd like my pilot being brutal.

Quoting HAL (Reply 18):
Take a close look at the horizon in the video while he's steering - he's the one moving the plane around, not the wind.

I always stand with HAL. He's so rational - and he works for my favorite airline!

I could give my opinion as to what I believe is going on in that cockpit - but I'd just get yelled at.

Okay . . . heading back to my flight sim now . . .

soon7x7

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:53 am

Seemed like an atmosphere full of convection rather than wind shear. Did not notice pitch corrections at all and if their were they were minimal. At slow speed strong convection requires much roll input, sometimes immediate converse directions. Nothing strange here...

Fly2HMO

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 am

I did not see one bit of windshear at all in the whole video, but I saw a little bit of mechanical turbulence followed by a whole lot of "pilot induced turbulence"

I have a student that does this exact thing. He is the jerkiest, twitchiest, most uncomfortable pilot I've ever come across and it is extremely aggravating. One time we were shooting and approach and we were all over the freaking place. He claimed it was really windy and bumpy. It was barely breezy. I told him "you wanna bet?, Let go of the controls" As soon as he let go, I just trimmed the airplane for a nice 500fpm decent and we followed the ILS needles almost perfectly centered all the way to minima, without me making any further corrections. My student was amazed. I always teach them to let the plane do the work, to never fight it (unless death is imminent) and fly with their fingers, not their fists while making the "death grip". Most grasp this concept well and they become immensely smoother pilots afterwards.Yet to this date that one kid still can't get over his freaking twitchiness.   

Some people have very poor motor skills. It's a fact of life.

(and no I'm not saying I'm god's gift to aviation and that this is the definitive explanation of what happened, it's just my educated opinion, so chill out)

Quoting 797 (Thread starter):
Looking at the control inputs from the Captain, I would think a go-around would've been required.
Quoting 797 (Thread starter):

At certain points of the approach, I would qualify it as a non-stabilized final approach, which back in aviation school would have required an immediate go-around...

No, not even remotely close. May want to read up on stabilized approach criteria again.

Looks like a bit of mechanical turbulence off the high hill to the left, and quite a bit of overcontrolling by the pilot. If you look, for every big left control input he is making (Presumably to counter a perceived right roll), he almost immediately puts in a near-equal amount of right aileron, presumably to counter the left roll he has just created himself.

Looks like textbook PIO to me.

Amen!

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 22):
Since when does a person posting on A-net haveta be correct?

Since never. But those of us in the know are getting tired of having to correct and deal with the overreactions of the armchair pilots on here over and over again which seem to as of lately taken over the site.

[Edited 2012-02-27 17:41:09]

TheRedBaron

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:56 am

I was expecting to see, real danger here.... I have seen a lot worse from the jumpseat...

I love the Dc-9, its like and old porsche.... even the levers are in the same stop....

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Max Q

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 am

Definitely overcontrolling.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

qf744fan

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 22):
Since when does a person posting on A-net haveta be correct?

While I'm sure the original comment wasn't intended as an insult, but rather just gentle mocking, I have to agree with this comment. Forums are forums for a reason, put your opinions in freely.

Back on topic though, I'm agreeing that it seems worse because the focus is inside the cockpit with mainly glare through the windshield. Surprised to see that no one has mentioned how he absolutely nailed the centreline, so he can't have done too much wrong. Whatever happened to "real men don't go around"?

F9Animal

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am

I enjoyed the video! He landed the bird, and it looked way cool. Maybe the yoke imputs were a bit dramatic, but I won't dismiss that they were not necessary. I love videos where they hand fly these old birds! Thanks for sharing the video!
I Am A Different Animal!!

tdscanuck

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 am

Based on how the captain was yanking that thing hard left and then hard right makes me wonder what that actually controls because the plane never made any sudden movements.

Nor would you expect it to. Sudden movements of the yoke cause sudden movements *of the control surfaces*. In order to get the plane to actually move those control surfaces need time to act. Airliners aren't acrobats, they don't change direction particularly quickly along any axis. Abrupt control inputs will cause a "bump" feeling as you get a sharp change in control force but, if they're not held for any length of time, they won't cause any meaningful change to the aircraft's attitude.

Tom.

goboeing

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 am

That's nothing.

I have a video of a Northwest DC-9 landing in the midwest taken a few years ago with 35-40 knot gusts all the way down and at a 40-60 degree crosswind. Captain puts both hands on the yoke after touchdown it was so bad.

Ironically today was the first time I 'ran out' of aileron in the flare in the plane I fly.

I think the guy flying in the linked video on this thread is overcontrolling all the way down and the lack of excitement in the flare proves it.

727forever

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 18):
I jumpseated many times in the HA DC-9's years ago, and even landing in strong gusty conditions in OGG, nobody ever had to overcontrol like the Captain in the video did.

HAL, generally I agree with you and respect your opinions. This time, you are wrong. Comparing your "experience" on the jumpseat in paradise to actually flying a -9 into gusty conditions is a bit disingenuous. Using an abrupt, high amount of roll input at low speed places more of the control tab into the slip stream to get the aileron moving quicker to actually control the airplane. If you do this in a Boeing you will have significant POI. In a DC-9, not so much. You put it in and as soon as the uncommanded roll stops you take it out. As I said, this guy may have been overdoing it a little bit, but if it's really nasty that looked about right. Generally I only have to use this technique when we're talking 25 gusting to 35 or so kind of weather, but it works. Getting wake turbulence will generally take full aileron deflection to keep wings level as well. The airplane is a slug in roll when slow.

727forever
727forever

MATURRO727

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:14 am

Well in my humble opinion i have to say:

I´ve shoot that same approach to CCS several times -though not on a DC-9- and let me tell you, it gets bumpy at times, on this particular video it doesn't seem to be one of those days, but then again we were not there. Now, i have been in the jump seat of the DC 9 a dozen or so times and it seems to me that the yoke inputs are always more pronounced on this type that for example the 73G or the E190, not only in the roll inputs but specially in the pitch inputs on short final and specially while doing the flare. the majority of the so called "jerkiest pilots" i've seen fly this particular type of aircraft. Having said that i have to say nevertheless that this particular guy overcontrolled way to much.

Quoting tb727 (Reply 16):
It takes what it takes to control the airplane. Stop to stop is pretty normal in really windy conditions. My favorite conditions for landing! I love a good challenge.

Agree you need to do what you need to do, while you don't leave the parameters of your particular SOP, AOM or flight technique text, you can have your own habits, its not ideal but i think is pretty normal to have them i guess.

Quoting outbackair (Reply 19):
Best comment I've seen in ages. Thank you!

Why do flight simmers seem to think they are pilots? I'm not one, so wouldn't pretend to know. Just like you wouldn't pretend to be a doctor, vet or nuclear scientist.

well, couple years ago i was a flight simmer and now days I work the real thing. Let me tell you the flight sim if taken seriously as i did, helped BIG TIME while training for the airlines. Im not saying all flight simmer are actually pilots -some of us are- but the ones who are not, know a thing or two. I think we can all agree here that there is no rule of being a licenced pilot to make a comment here.

Just my two cents.

regards.

MATURRO727

Max Q

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 am

I flew the MD80 for four years, it is basically a stretched DC9-50 with bigger engines and wing, the flight controls are similarly unpowered, control tabs move the Ailerons and Rudder by strictly manual input and it requires assertive controlling.

Large yoke movements are common, especially in gusty winds but this Guy is almost going to the stops, way too much input and he doesn't wait to see what effect his inputs are making before he goes almost to the other stop !

Imagine driving a car on ice by pushing the accelerator to the floor and wondering why the wheels just spin, not very effective, it's not too different from what he is doing.

Not necessarily dangerous, just poor technique.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):
I always teach them to let the plane do the work, to never fight it (unless death is imminent) and fly with their fingers, not their fists while making the "death grip". Most grasp this concept well and they become immensely smoother pilots afterwards.

"Keep to your flight sims" - Smooth! Would be nice of you to check on profiles before assuming stuff my friend.

And this should be also gained with experience. It's what you should expect from a savvy pilot, or even better, a CAPTAIN. That nonsense yanking of the yoke is embarrassing and I just got to hear that he got in trouble after the video was uploaded. Draw your own conclusions and then comment again.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):
Since never. But those of us in the know are getting tired of having to correct and deal with the overreactions of the armchair pilots on here over and over again which seem to as of lately taken over the site.

Really? Every PILOT has his own criteria dude, and my say is you should respect it. I have over 1500 hours of flight, so "arm chair" pilot would not be the right word to use here. The horizon cannot be clearly seen well in the video, and I assume a professional captain flying a DC-9 would like, or at least intend, to fly the plane smoothly. Those control inputs where uncalled for and you know it.

Just to back me up a little better, a good friend of mine, Captain of DC-9 and MD-80 in Venezuela called me last night to tell me how embarrassed he was after seeing such video. And now that I read your remarks, I feel like quoting him:

Quote:
I just really hope nobody else sees this video. In my years of experience, I have NEVER seen the yoke move so much... I have landed with one engine and gusts of over 25kts and all that's needed is smooth input, not this kind of brutal movements

And in my professional experience, I've landed in CCS numerous times in different types of planes. There is indeed a spot where you get some nice downdrafts, but I have never had to yank my yokes so savagely.

Just my "arm chair" 2cents