sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Emirates Announced As Official Airline Of US Open

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 pm

After years of marketing dominance in European and Australian sporting events, I suppose it was only a matter of time before Emirates came to the United States.

Emirates is to be unveiled as the official airline and "title sponsor" of the US Open, in a 7 year deal signed with the USTA.

Official ceremony/announcement to be made on Thursday.

Link:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/16/426...rates-airline-and-usta-unveil.html

What exactly does being a title sponsor entail? Don't tell me it's going to be the "Emirates US Open" or something of the like...
Keep Discovering

jfklganyc

RE: Emirates Announced As Official Airline Of US Open

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Interesting.

The US Open does market itself as a high end sporting event. Emirates markets itself as a high end airline.

That is where the similarities end.

stlgph

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm

No, Emirates will get to title sponsor a series of preliminary match events throughout the season leading up to the U.S. Open

At the open expect to see Emirates signage, and probably a display, and some PR blitzing while at the matches. I imagine their sponsorship is still ultimately second to Mercedes-Benz, which is the powerhouse sponsor of the U.S. Open.

Kind of a big deal since they replace United, who had a rather large presence out there last year.

edit - replaced "week" with "year"

whoops.

[Edited 2012-02-27 10:02:42]
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Pe@rson

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm

EK is a huge sponsor of sporting events, so this seems rather unsurprising.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 2):

Kind of a big deal since they replace United, who had a rather large presence out there last year.

I remember the United fans they gave out. Used to be Continental I believe. Still have them!

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 3):
EK is a huge sponsor of sporting events, so this seems rather unsurprising.

True, but I believe this is their first venture into the US with this kind of large scale sponsorship?

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 1):
The US Open does market itself as a high end sporting event. Emirates markets itself as a high end airline.

Isn't that really all you need?
Keep Discovering