PI767
Topic Author

Question Regarding Birmingham (BHX) Airport Histor

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 am

I was hoping someone can provide me with some information. I have searched online but have not found the answers I am looking for.

What and when has the name of the Birmingham, UK (BHX) airport been over the years?

Mostly, when did the airport stop using (or does it still use) the name Birmingham Elmdon Airport?

Thanks for your help.
"Piedmont. The Model of What a Good Airline Should Be."

MCO2BRS

RE: Question Regarding Birmingham (BHX) Airport Histor

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 am

I've only ever heard a couple of people refer to BHX as 'Elmdon'. As far as I know, the only two names have been Elmdon & Birmingham Airport (except maybe Birmingham International Airport, which I've seen pop up a few times).

As for when it switched from Elmdon, I'd guess it was either around 1974 when West Midlands County Council took control of the airport, or in 1987 when the ownership of the airport transferred to Birmingham International Airport, PLC.

There's a bit of information on the airport website, but it doesn't really provide much more information.

http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/about-us/history.aspx

Cheers,

MCO 2 BRS

rogercamel

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 am

My guess is that they dropped Elmdon in 1984 when they opened the terminal in the current locations and adjacent railway station which has always been branded Birmingham International, though it could have been 1961 when they opened what they then called 'The International Building'.

Just after I left the area in 2010 they changed from Birmingham International Airport to just Birmingham Airport.

Wolverhampton

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 am

The old terminal building which is opposite the current passenger terminals is still referred to as the old Elmdon terminal. That area is now mostly used for cargo, maintenance, and executive movements.

Some more info-
http://www.flyintobhx.co.uk/history.html