SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 47

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 am

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART XLVII

"Tribute to Eastern Air Lines in Central America"

By the early 80s, Eastern Air Lines [IATA designator: EA] began to penetrate the Central American skies as a new choice for the lucrative regional traffic heading to South Florida.
Guatemala City already had a couple of daily flights to Miami in July 1980 and by the end of the decade, the airline had also expanded their services to other cities:

EA MIA-GUA 7x weekly
EA MIA-SAL 3x weekly
EA MIA-PTY 7x weekly
EA MIA-SJO 7x weekly
The airline briefly operated the Panama City - New Orleans route.

Equipment utilized in Central America: Boeing 727, L-1011, Boeing 757.

Financial issues resulted in the suspension of all their flights in 1991, although its legacy continues in Central America as American Airlines rapidly absorbed the routes operated from its hub in Miami.
Further information related to this topic will be appreciated.

Edited on March 01st 2012.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

ColAvionLover

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 47

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 am

Aeroperlas (TACA Regional) suspended operations due to restructuring.

http://www.prensa.com/uhora/economia...spende-operaciones-en-panama/68396

I wonder how long this will take and how much they want to achieve with this restructuring.
Maybe Avianca-TACA will invest more money on it as Aeroperlas can play a good role in the growing of Avianca-TACA as they are just where Copa Airlines is. Maybe they'll increase their fleet and use them to feed PTY and have their own "Hub of The Americas"...

Lets see what will happen.
JDM's

juanchito

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

From the last thread

Aeroméxico third daily flight to Guatemala, starting april 3.
MEX 09:30 PM - GUA10:25 PM. B737 Daily
GUA 06:30 AM - MEX 09:30 AM. B737 Daily

New flight
Aeroméxico launch El Salvador, starting april 16
AM620 MEX 12:55 PM - SAL 14:25 PM. B737 Daily
AM621 SAL 15:25 PM - MEX 18:55 PM. B737 Daily

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

juanchito

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

TAG was going to start flights between FRS-CUN on march or april don't remember yet.
Also rumors is that they are going to acquire to used CRJ200

Quote:

Quoting aer (Reply 189):
Can't, no more GUA-CUN flights.

Doesn't TAG fly their SAAB on the route?
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

RAGAZZO777

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Quoting ColAvionLover (Reply 1):
Maybe they'll increase their fleet and use them to feed PTY and have their own "Hub of The Americas"...

Why would AV-TA do that when they already have SJO and SAL to play that role in Central America ?
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):
"Tribute to Eastern Air Lines in Central America"

Eastern already flew ATL-PTY summer 1981. Schedule then wasn't appropriate for PTY O/D.
Later they flew MIA-PTY-LIM, JFK-PTY, MSY-PTY.

I wonder how long this will take and how much they want to achieve with this restructuring.

Lots of speculation and assumptions re: Aeroperlas "restructuring" here in Panama. A so sudden operation stop, can't be taken lightly.
Years ago, when TA took over Aeroperlas, it was said they wanted to use Aeroperlas as they did with Aviateca and Nica and start some kind of international service to compete with CM in non-CM exclusive routes. The only international flight they started was a short lived DAV-SJO with wasn't attractive for DAV O/D.

From the previous thread:

Quote:
AC YYZ-LIR 3x weekly
AC YUL-LIR 1x weekly

I wouldn't call that good Central American link with Canada as the number of Centralamericans flying that route seems to be very very low..
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm

From previous thread:

Quote:

TA SAL-YYZ 3x weekly
CM PTY-YYZ 4x weekly
AC YYZ-SJO 3x weekly
AC YYZ-LIR 3x weekly
AC YUL-LIR 1x weekly

Although there are flights, connectivity to other parts in Central America or Canada are terrible, if non existent.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

avi8

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Does anyone have any information regarding the percentage of occupancy on the MEX-GUA flights? Can the market sustain 5 Daily flights????
avi8

Medschool student

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Aeroperlas (Taca Regional Panamà) has 90 days to restructure or to close From www.revistasumma.com - in Spanish.
According to Panama Civil Aviation Authority, Aeroperlas has 90 days to either restructure or close.
It was said that because the TACA - Avianca merger, the small TA-owned Panamanian domestic airline didn't fit into the new airline business model.
That seems to be a Salvadorean-Colombian decision taken without really caring about what it meant for Panama.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

luisde8cd

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

I talked today with Aeroperlas' call center to ask for a refund for my flights this weekend and they told me they are still flying until March 6th "to protect their passengers". Can somebody confirm this? I didn't trust them and asked for a refund either way as I had already found alternative travel means.

Saludos,
Luis

wingedtaurus

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 2):

We just need MGA.

A.

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Quoting wingedtaurus (Reply 10):
We just need MGA.

The market might be there, question is What kind of schedule will be more convenient for AM in MGA?
My guess, MEX-MGA evenings, RON @ MGA and MGA-MEX early morning.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Attempting to unveil the shroud of mistery and spin (standard procedure for the cartel in troubled times) that surrounds this latest event, the WL operation must've been bleeding lots of money.. and the head honchos seem to believe this amputation will stop the spread of the gangrene elsewhere within the conglomerate.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

yellowtail

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

For the record....EA also used to serve MIA-BZE...722s ..daily I believe.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

aer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 12):

Attempting to unveil the shroud of mistery and spin (standard procedure for the cartel in troubled times) that surrounds this latest event, the WL operation must've been bleeding lots of money.. and the head honchos seem to believe this amputation will stop the spread of the gangrene elsewhere within the conglomerate.

Well really, other thank Sansa's operation, is TA Regional really that profitable?
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 am

Aeroperlas can play a good role in the growing of Avianca-TACA

This maneuver indicates us the contrary.
I didn't understand some strange operations like: PAC-BOC-PTY-PAC and PAC-PTY-BOC.
I reported in earlier posts how the PAC-SJO 7x weekly segment was frequently cancelled.

Quoting juanchito (Reply 2):
New flight
AM620 MEX 12:55 PM - SAL 14:25 PM. B737 Daily
AM621 SAL 15:25 PM - MEX 18:55 PM. B737 Daily

Finally! It was quite expected.
TA SAL-MEX 11x weekly is currently the sole player since the demise of MX MEX-SAL 7x weekly.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 5):
The only international flight they started was a short lived DAV-SJO

It was briefly served by Sansa in 2008.

Quoting aer (Reply 6):
Although there are flights, connectivity to other parts in Central America or Canada are terrible

AC SJO-YYZ, AC LIR-YYZ, AC LIR-YUL and the Canadian charter airlines operating in Central America seem to be focusing in the O&D leisure market.
TA SAL-YYZ 3x weekly and CM PTY-YYZ 4x weekly are supplying the connectivity which is indeed very limited.
That's why I posted earlier the possibility of AA for your trip.

Quoting luisde8cd (Reply 9):
Aeroperlas' call center to ask for a refund for my flights this weekend

As personal experience, TACA refunds tickets two or three weeks later once they'd contact you for the compensation.

Maybe they'll increase their fleet and use them to feed PTY and have their own "Hub of The Americas"...

All the regional airlines belonging to TACA division seem to act separate from the mainline: different baggage weight allowance, there's no possibility to book everything together: TA JFK-SJO + RZ SJO-DRK, etc.

Regards.

aer

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:03 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 15):
All the regional airlines belonging to TACA division seem to act separate from the mainline:

True, and only Regional operations that under GU's certificate are the ones integrated into mainline. Although they usually switch GU with Isleña once in a while.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting aer (Reply 16):
only Regional operations that under GU's certificate are the ones integrated into mainline

I think the ATRs are not the problem, in terms of baggage allowance. The difficult may exist combining [Airbus and E90s] with small planes immediately.
Someone had posted as a smart joke before: how many times have you seen a surfboard loaded into a Cessna Grand Caravan?  

Regards.

[Edited 2012-03-01 19:27:12]

yellowtail

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 17):
Someone had posted as a smart joke before: how many times have you seen a surfboard loaded into a Cessna Grand Caravan?

Actually I have...at PM....don't know why someone would bring a surfboard to BZE...but not my job to judge.
Also seen a Great Dane...took up entire back seat and quite a few other large items.

Some of the new Cargo pods come with semi-removable partitions to allow for items such as surfboards.

Customer willing to pay for us to take out the seat and for us to secure the "cargo" in the main cabin and as along as we can do it within regs and safely...we do it.

revenue is revenue.

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Taca Regional Panamanian airline Aeroperlas void to be filled by others From www.revistasumma.com - in Spanish
According to Panama Civil Aviation chief, if the domestic airtravel demand increases, "more than 4" companies would be willing to participate in the market.
About Aeroperlas assets, he said all its concessions which belong to the government will return to the government.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Here's an excerpt of what bloomberg.com reported yesterday.. Aeroperlas, a Panama City–based unit of Avianca Taca Holding, said it has ceased operations in Panama. (...) The airline didn’t give further details. Press officials at Bogota-based Avianca Taca didn’t immediately respond to phone calls and e-mails seeking comment.

Also been monitoring the seemingly inconsequential impact on AV/TA stock (Bolsa de Valores de Colombia ticker symbol PFAVTA) which fell 2.1% yesterday to COL$4,200.

I do find it somewhat odd that AV/TA pulls the plug on Aeroperlas just as the conglomerate —under pressure from existing and potential overseas investors— prepares to move away from convenient Colombian accounting principles (ColGaap) in favor of international financial reporting standards (IFRS/NIIF) which means financial statements should soon reflect a true and fair view of its business affairs.. including performance (looong shrouded in mystery) of the TACA division, of which Aeroperlas is part.

[Edited 2012-03-02 09:10:38]

viaggiare

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 pm

In other news, the all–inclusive Colombian hotel chain Decameron (notable for its bottomless cocktail glasses and dance–till–dawn beachside parties among other fine examples of noisy debauchery) officially arrives in Costa Rica, with investments in two existing hotels, to be renamed Royal Decameron Irazú (330 rooms just outside downtown San José along the airport highway) and the 130–room Decameron Jacó Beach on the central pacific coast.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 18):
took up entire back seat and quite a few other large items.

Some of the new Cargo pods come with semi-removable partitions to allow for items such as surfboards.

Customer willing to pay for us to take out the seat and for us to secure the "cargo" in the main cabin and as along as we can do it within regs and safely...we do it.

revenue is revenue.

That confirms the lack of compatibility in cargo regarding the small planes and jet-mainline services on TACA.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Panama Civil Aviation Authority opens bid for DAV and MPRH airport terminal benches From www.prensa.com - in Spanish
It was announced today that Panama Civil Aviation Authority will open bid to get benches for DAV new terminal and MPRH (Rio Hato Scarlet Martínez Aerodrome).
What's most interesting about this, is that MPRH's has no terminal yet and the runway improvements with the proposed Panamerican Highway underpass shows little advancement.

In Panamanian airport related news, specific to that furniture subject, seems Muelle Norte is still not ready to be used. A delay because lack of furniture (or problems getting it) is quite unacceptable, strange and highly questionable.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

luisde8cd

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 pm

A few pics from Contadora Island taken this weekend. I was lucky enough to capture one of Aeroperlas's Cessna Caravans (HP-1403APP) in their last flights to OTD.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2edaa93.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rrnd74.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/6s6ybr.jpg

Saludos,
Luis

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 am

TACA has requested to the Colombian aviation authorities "Aeronautica Civil. Grupo evaluador de proyectos empresariales" the application for new routes:

TACA [San Salvador - Medellin]; 3x weekly with E90.
TACA [San Salvador - Cali]; 3x weekly with E90.
LACSA [San Jose - Bogota - Brasilia]; 4x weekly with 319.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 25):

Does Brazil give Costa Rica 5th freedom between BOG and BSB? I ask because it's not an AV flight from SJO to BSB via BOG.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

avi8

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I think it would be SJO-BGO-Brasilia. So that might be different
avi8

Medschool student

yellowtail

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 17):

Actually..I wish I had a camera right now....Caravan going out SPR-BZE with 10 pax and 2 surfboards down below with luggage and 3 dogs in kennels right now.

aer

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):
2 surfboards down below with luggage and 3 dogs in kennels right now

And a partridge in a pear tree?

Quoting luisde8cd (Reply 24):
A few pics from Contadora Island taken this weekend.

Great pictures, what will happen with Aeroperlas' aircraft, be moved to Sansa?

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 25):

I'd like to expand the intended TA/LR SJO-BOG-BSB.
The source came from Colombia where TACA applied for the traffic rights into the BOG-BSB sector. If that idea would be materialized later, the airline of course will be able to transport passengers between these stations.

Source in Spanish. Click the pdf file inside:
http://www.aerocivil.gov.co/Lists/Ac...?ID=5&Source=/Paginas/default.aspx

We have now to observe AV/TA as a whole, where AV BOG-GRU 14x weekly and AV BOG-GIG 3x weekly will complement the mentioned route. TAM-LAN are increasingly penetrating the market in Colombia and TA/AV would boost the Colombia-Brazil sector.
When any airline has been awarded with the traffic rights, that does not necessarily mean the immediate opening of a new route.
Rummaging the same information, Aerogal from Ecuador -being partner of AV/TA- has also requested authorization for 2K GYE-BOG-PTY 7x weekly with 319 or 320.

Quoting aer (Reply 29):
what will happen with Aeroperlas' aircraft, be moved to Sansa?

It's a mystery yet.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):
Caravan going out SPR-BZE with 10 pax and 2 surfboards down below with luggage and 3 dogs in kennels right now.

I believe you.
Analyzing my former point, I'm also sure it represented extra money for some passengers.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 30):
The source came from Colombia where TACA applied for the traffic rights into the BOG-BSB sector. If that idea would be materialized later, the airline of course will be able to transport passengers between these stations.

Could TACA being TA or LR be allowed to carry passengers BOG-BSB?
What do the Costa Rica - Colombia bilateral (if flight has origin SJO) say about 5th liberty to points over Colombia?
What do the Brazil - Colombia bilateral say about other countries airlines flying passengers between Colombia and Brazil?
Has AV used all its allocated Brazil frequencies already?
Could AV be able to place code-share on a LR flight between BOG and Brazil and that way get permission to sell seats on a LR flight,?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 31):
Could TACA being TA or LR be allowed to carry passengers BOG-BSB?

TACA/LACSA is requesting with Colombian authorities the launch of the SJO-BOG-BSB segment and allowing third, forth and fifth liberties in both cargo and passengers.
On the other hand, Brazil and Costa Rica signed an open skies treaty in 2011.
I cannot answer the remaining questions more precisely.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Panama to negotiate more flights @ Berlin Tourist Fair From www.prensa.com - in Spanish
The Panama Tourist Authority boss will meet DE Condor to ask them to double its current frequencies to PTY from 2 to 4.
Panama is prepared to allocate USD2million to the German airline to entice then to double the frequencies.

It is an odd arrangement so far that LH and CM are in the same alliance, but DE is the one flying from FRA and feeding CM connecting passengers.
Well if LH decides to make it to PTY and does it from MUC, surely PTY and CM won't complain.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 33):
The Panama Tourist Authority boss will meet DE Condor to ask them to double its current frequencies to PTY from 2 to 4.
Panama is prepared to allocate USD2million to the German airline to entice then to double the frequencies.

It is an odd arrangement so far that LH and CM are in the same alliance, but DE is the one flying from FRA and feeding CM connecting passengers.

This sounds like a warning for Lufthansa and Star Alliance.
The entrance of CM there is imminent, but there's no participation of any European carrier involved in Star Alliance yet. On the other hand, their competitors look well positioned at PTY:
IB MAD-PTY; 5x weekly by OneWorld
KL AMS-PTY; 7x weekly by SkyTeam

Regards.

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 34):
The entrance of CM there is imminent, but there's no participation of any European carrier involved in Star Alliance yet. On the other hand, their competitors look well positioned at PTY:
KL AMS-PTY; 7x weekly by SkyTeam

CM waiting to entice SK, TK or TP to PTY then?
IB has interline and cargo agreement w/CM.
KL has CM code-share for AMS-PTY, CM has KL code-share for selected CM regional flights and for the others there's good interline.
And PTY is desperate for a LON non-stop, but seems IB is blocking BA from flying LGW-PTY. Don't look like VS has interest in PTY right now, but VS from LGW may even work for CM interline/code-share.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

copa330200

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:59 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 34):

any idea how are the loads ?

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 35):
LGW may even work for CM interline/code-share.

this will a real "home run" for PTY !!!

I believe it's just a matter of time for LH to open FRA - PTY and feeding CM connecting passengers .. keep in mind DE flight has an stop so a direct flight will have the edge for most of the people. An A340300 will do the trick pretty well  

On the local side, any news about Air Panama plans after AeroPerlas suspension??
On the run !!!

2travel2know2

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 36):
this will a real "home run" for PTY !!!

Agreed.

Quote:
I believe it's just a matter of time for LH to open FRA - PTY and feeding CM connecting passengers .. keep in mind DE flight has an stop so a direct flight will have the edge for most of the people. An A340300 will do the trick pretty well.

Not sure if The Panama Tourism Authority wants DE to leave, but a FRA-PTY non-stop by LH would be better for PTY (and CM).
While LH is big in MUC, a MUC-PTY non-stop instead of a FRA-PTY one, given there are a lot of connecting possibilities on both sides may work too.
If B.M.W. is open for visitors, Panamanians will flock there like they do to the Coca-Cola Museum in ATL   

Quote:
On the local side, any news about Air Panama plans after AeroPerlas suspension??

They seem to have increased capacity between PAC and BOC/CHX/DAV. Not sure how OTD is doing now that Aeroperlas TA Regional left.

What concerns me a lot now is how delayed is the opening of PTY Muelle Norte. CM and KL/IB need that new concourse to be fully functional. A furniture related issue can't keep that critical PTY terminal expansion closed for this long.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:04 am

Get this folks.. just two years after señor Kriete whined hopelessly about SJO (all the while sobbing his heart out —ahem ahem cough cough— venting his frustration with Copa's enviable success elsewhere) the current AV/TA CEO (Villegas) had nothing but praise for SJO earlier today, accentuating the hub's "strength" and "potential" as he talked about the new LR/TA SJOBOGBSB, SJOMTY and SJOSALYUL routes.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:05 am

CM waiting to entice SK, TK or TP to PTY then?

I was rather thinking on Lufthansa in Panama City soon, but it would be harder now, given how the Panamanian authorities are promoting abroad the expansion of DE FRA-SDQ-PTY.
It would be quite interesting how long will the current KL-CM mutual code-share agreement be, whether LH would fly to PTY or CM definitely enters into Star Alliance soon.

TP to PTY

I had never thought about TP in Panama City. As far as I know, the services offered by them in both Venezuela and Brazil are primarily focused into the VFR component.
Panama doesn't seem to fit in that pattern.

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 36):
any idea how are the loads ?

I ignore the official figures on IB MAD-PTY, but we can assume a healthy performance analyzing the progress in their services:
IB MAD-GUA-PTY-MAD; 4x weekly
IB MAD-PTY-GUA; 4x weekly
IB MAD-PTY-GUA; 5x weekly

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 37):
While LH is big in MUC, a MUC-PTY non-stop instead of a FRA-PTY one, given there are a lot of connecting possibilities on both sides may work too.

Only LH MUC-GRU 7x weekly is available in Latin America nowadays and it's complementing LH GRU-FRA 7x weekly.
Mexico City doesn't operate LH MUC-MEX yet.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 39):
I had never thought about TP in Panama City. As far as I know, the services offered by them in both Venezuela and Brazil are primarily focused into the VFR component.
Panama doesn't seem to fit in that pattern.

CCS is VFR mostly and mainly to FNC, little connecting traffic @ LIS, TP's, But I hear of OnePass (Mileage Plus now) members using TP to fly to Spain from Venezuela avoiding IB or Conviasa.
Brazilian routes VFR component is much lower than CCS's, however the strategy is similar to what CM is doing in Brazil, linking major Brazilian cities to a hub. TP has done it to Europe, CM to a Latinamerican hub.
It's quite doubtful how TP could affect travelling between PTY (hub) and Spain (which may be where most people flying TP out of PTY may be heading) specially if IB is to upgrade to daily oneday. What's good is that TP and CM will be in the same alliance and any passenger which can't make it between Portugal and Venezuela/Brazil could fly via PTY and still earn miles.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:05 am

Rumor has it that AM may begin CUN-SJO this year.
Don't forget AM SJO-MEX goes from 7x to 14x weekly on March 15th.

Let me amend some mistakes from the last press release in Spanish:

"En entrevista con La Nación, la tarde de este viernes, Villegas apuntó que esta condición de la terminal alajuelense le permite a la empresa abrir tres nuevos vuelos: San José -Brasilia (con escala en Bogotá), San José-Monterrey (directo) y San José-Montreal (con escala en San Salvador).
El primer vuelo saldrá el 1.° de junio, el segundo a partir del 15 de mayo y el tercero aún está sujeto a aprobación gubernamentales, pero la empresa confía en que este visto bueno ocurra en el primer semestre de este año."

The GDS sources actually displays TA/LR SJO-MTY 3x weekly beginning on June 02nd:

LR 684.....SJO 18:25.......MTY 23:05.....Tu, Th, Sa
LR 685.....MTY 07:00......SJO 09:40......We, Fr, Su
Effective: June 02nd ??

TA/LR SJO-BOG-BSB hasn't been loaded yet.

"La última nueva ruta que Taca abrió en el país fue San José- Orlando, Florida, en el 2009"

It was confused with TA SAL-MCO 4x weekly instead.

Regards.

viaggiare

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:25 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 41):
"La última nueva ruta que Taca abrió en el país fue San José- Orlando, Florida, en el 2009"

It was confused with TA SAL-MCO 4x weekly instead

So the last new TACA route out of Costa Rica was SALLIRSAL (December 2010) whereas the last two routes out of SJO proper were SJOMDESJO (July 2010) and SJOSDQSJO (April 2007) —correct?

2travel2know2

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:48 pm

PTY to re-start Muelle Norte furniture bid From www.prensa.com - in Spanish
Finally PTY management will re-start the bid for North Concourse furniture, which has been one of the excuses why the new part of the terminal isn't in use yet.
According to PTY management, in a couple of weeks some of the jet-ways will be available to use. But it'll late April when the baggage system will be functional, the whole councourse will be ready to use May.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 42):
So the last new TACA route out of Costa Rica was SALLIRSAL (December 2010) whereas the last two routes out of SJO proper were SJOMDESJO (July 2010) and SJOSDQSJO (April 2007) —correct?

I think so.
The confusion arises because the press release was published back in 2010 and it reflected the latest route opened by TACA mainline in those days.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Panama Tourist Authority wants DE to fly non-stop FRA-PTY From www.prensa.com - in Spanish
Panama Tourist Authority ATP proposed DE to fly non-stop FRA-PTY and drop the 45min long SDQ stop. ATP's director say they're looking for a more appealing service to PTY.
This week the ATP will contact DE to check their reaction.
According to La Prensa, DE right now keeps a code-share agreement w/CM.

What I make of this news is that Panama ATP does prefer LH over DE but needs a way to politely add LH FRA-PTY flights without getting the bad reputation they forced DE away of PTY.
FRA-PTY can't support both DE and LH flights, both airlines know that and for Star Alliance, having LH flying to PTY improves their presence in Latin America..
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 am

I read this information into the Colombian thread and it reports an impressive net profit on AV-TA: increasing more than 200% in 2011 !

http://www.rcnradio.com/node/142145

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 45):
Panama Tourist Authority ATP proposed DE to fly non-stop FRA-PTY and drop the 45min long SDQ stop. ATP's director say they're looking for a more appealing service to PTY.
This week the ATP will contact DE to check their reaction.
According to La Prensa, DE right now keeps a code-share agreement w/CM.

Many points here...
I visualize Condor as a leisure airline and it might not fit for the international standards related to code-share and interline services.
On the other hand, DE is already flying to Panama City and being promoted abroad by Panamanian tourism authorities.
DE FRA-SDQ-SJO 2x weekly with 763 is active regarding the whole Central American scenario. Wouldn't they serve FRA-PTY as non-stop and Costa Rica as FRA-SDQ-SJO? I don't get the answer...
CM is closer than ever to Star Alliance and there's no any light about LH FRA-PTY yet.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 45):
FRA-PTY can't support both DE and LH flights, both airlines know that and for Star Alliance, having LH flying to PTY improves their presence in Latin America

Agreed.
Even Bogota is supporting no more than 5x weekly flights on LH FRA-BOG at this time and it's already holding code-share cooperation with AV.

Regards.

copa330200

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 am

On the run !!!

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 47):
just beautiful !!!

The style of the "Copa Airlines logo" is changing.
Related thread: Copa Has Changed Their Logo To Keep Similar To UA (by flyPBA Mar 14 2012 in Civil Aviation)

CM PTY-MDE goes from 28x to 35x weekly.
CM 531........MDE 16:02.......PTY 17:18........Daily
CM 530........PTY 18:54........MDE 20:10.......Daily
Effective: June 22nd.

CM PTY-CTG goes from 11x to 18x weekly.
CM 160.........PTY 07:56..........CTG 09:01.........Daily
CM 161.........CTG 09:41..........PTY 10:46.........Daily
Effective: June 22nd.

Regards.

avi8

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm

What aircraft is being utilized? Probably a 737-800 right?
avi8

Medschool student