CO777DAL
Topic Author

Fortune New UA No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Fortune ranks New United as the "No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....-newsArticle&ID=1668330&highlight=

"FORTUNE magazine rated United Airlines the most admired airline on its annual airline-industry list of the World's Most Admired Companies. In addition, the magazine ranked United No. 1 for global competitiveness and long-term investment among 12 global carriers.

"I want to thank my co-workers for working together to achieve the prestigious No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline ranking from FORTUNE magazine," said Jeff Smisek, United Continental Holdings, president and chief executive officer."

Full rankings:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ustries/2.html

Nice to see more of sCO carrying over to the New United.   CO won it every year till their last year as a stand alone in airline in 2010.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

Alitalia744

RE: Fortune New UA No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Congrats and not too surprising...a decent merger and financial results appeal to tjose judging,...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

rafflesking

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:50 pm

This appears to be misquoted. I don't see UA listed in the top 50. I see Southwest and Singapore Airlines for passenger airlines. FedEx and UPS also make the list.

They scored only a 6.35 whereas Unilever at #50 is a 6.84.

Of course, working for a company in the top 15, I am thoroughly amused at how subjective this is.

ukoverlander

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting CO777DAL (Thread starter):
Fortune ranks New United as the "No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline

With the greatest of respect they have absolutely got to be kidding.........and that's coming from someone whose been Platinum on CO/UA for 10 years and been flying in and out of SFO for 12.

Are they better than they were yes....do I 'admire' UA????......No.

Especially not when I'm sitting in a 747 in economy for 14 or 15 hours on the way to Hong Kong or Sydney watching a movie on ceiling mounted monitor, or flying Business Class on one of the many old 777's that are still offers a business class product that would have seemed dates 7 or 8 years ago.

And Fortune hands out awards for this?

I realize that Fortune is business oriented publication and perhaps from a financials perspective much has been achieved at UA but as a passenger who lays doen his money to buy a ticket I'm still waiting to be impressed.

[Edited 2012-03-01 15:55:24]

ouboy79

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting rafflesking (Reply 2):

This appears to be misquoted. I don't see UA listed in the top 50. I see Southwest and Singapore Airlines for passenger airlines. FedEx and UPS also make the list.

I believe the "Airline Industry Only" list has different criteria which put UA on top, even though Southwest is the highest rated airline (#10) on the overall list.

eastern747

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

It's obvious that the folks at Fortune don't do much flying. Try flying from the west coast to SE Asia, Japan, Australa. (in any class) The service is awlful. The F/s's should get an award from the magitions society for being able to disappear. Who writes this stuff?.

lewis

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 am

I don't see why. The last time I flew UA/CO was the same experience as with any other legacy in the US. Bland, not much service going on and nothing to write home about.

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:22 am

Just for the benefit of everyone, the results were:

1) UA
2) SQ
3) WN
4) DL
5) LH
6) AF-KL
7) CX
8) AN
9) QF
10) IAG
11) US
12) AMR

Without knowing the criteria it's hard to comment on the rankings.

However, if financial performance is a key determinant then how on earth did QF get in the top 10 and AMR make it to 12???

Also I'm struggling to see the justification for putting IAG so much lower than Lufthansa Group or Air France-KLM

And now I'm on a role, US probably deserve a bit more respect. Whatever one may think of their on-board service, the airline is practically unrecognisable from the one a decade ago.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

catiii

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:59 am

Delta also was "awarded" the same title last year. In fact, the decals are still on the fuselage by the boarding doors.

boeing773er

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:21 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 8):
nd now I'm on a role, US probably deserve a bit more respect. Whatever one may think of their on-board service, the airline is practically unrecognisable from the one a decade ago.

I do have to agree with you on this one, US really is shaping it self up to become a great airline. They may not be the United States biggest but, they certainly have strong points.

I think they should be higher. I'm not exactly sure how AMR got on here. I feel like B6 or AS deserve that spot more.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

tullamarine

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 am

Just for the benefit of everyone, the results were:

1) UA
2) SQ
3) WN
4) DL
5) LH
6) AF-KL
7) CX
8) AN
9) QF
10) IAG
11) US
12) AMR

I thought QF was a joke being in the Top 10 until I saw AN in the Top 10 also. Now I realise the whole thing is a joke given AN when bust 11 years ago!!
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772,W,310,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,AT

LOWS

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:44 am

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 11):
I thought QF was a joke being in the Top 10 until I saw AN in the Top 10 also. Now I realise the whole thing is a joke given AN when bust 11 years ago!!

Maybe he meant to put NH?

burnsie28

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:47 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 4):
I believe the "Airline Industry Only" list has different criteria which put UA on top, even though Southwest is the highest rated airline (#10) on the overall list.

Yes, its only those within that industry that vote on those categories.

ElPistolero

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:09 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 13):
However, if financial performance is a key determinant then how on earth did QF get in the top 10 and AMR make it to 12???

My thoughts exactly. QF I can understand, but AMR Is in really bad shape - how in the world can it be a top performer in any sesne of the word?

He meant NH. All Nippon = AN - looks like an honest mistake.

ouboy79

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 13):
Yes, its only those within that industry that vote on those categories.

Which means that the proportion of people in the airline group don't like WN as much as the entire group surveyed for all companies. Otherwise how can UA jump from being out of the overall Top 50 to ahead of WN in the airline rankings. Not to mention SQ jumping WN going from the overall list to the airline list.

RyanairGuru

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 12):
Maybe he meant to put NH?

Sorry!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

BCEaglesCO757

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 15):
Otherwise how can UA jump from being out of the overall Top 50 to ahead of WN in the airline rankings. Not to mention SQ jumping WN going from the overall list to the airline list.

As an employee of UA/CO I will begrudgingly admit I can see why people may have a beef with us being No. 1. I think we have the potential to win again without people raising their eyebrows in the future.

But are we really debating SQ being ranked ahead of WN on the airline list ? Thats not taking anything from WN but...c'mon now.

VC10er

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

From where they were to now! I am more than impressed. I just landed from Brussels at IAD yesterday. Seat 1A on a 3 class 777. It was an amazing F class experience. Bravo New UNITED!

And when you really wrap your head around the size of the route network it is mind-blowing. They just need to get their advertising up to speed.
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

Danfearn77

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Quoting ElPistolero (Reply 14):
My thoughts exactly. QF I can understand, but AMR Is in really bad shape - how in the world can it be a top performer in any sesne of the word?

After my flight with them last month MAN-ORD-LAS-JFK-MAN i certainly wont be in a rush to fly them again and cannot see how they make this list at all. Ahead of QR, EY, EK et all, i dont think so.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

mogandoCI

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 pm

1) UA
2) SQ
3) WN
4) DL
5) LH
6) AF-KL
7) CX
8) NZ
9) QF
10) IAG
11) US
12) AMR

The ranking *has* to be US-centric. I have no idea how CX is that low and jetBlue/Swiss/JAL couldn't make it to the Top 12.

And where did all the gulf carriers go ?

leftyboarder

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

I too think that UA is somewhat more admirable from a distance. Although behind Asian carriers in terms of service, it is still a legacy with full service after all. Not in bankruptcy anymore, has a vast network, not so bad fleet (compared to AA and DL), just came through with a seamless merger, key member of the largest alliance, party to a profitable ATI across the Atlantic (and Pacific too?)... Little to worry when you have AA and AC in that continent to do the worrying.

And honestly, I do respect WN for how far it has come, but any airline not willing to leave home turf is not very admirable for me.. Just my two cents.

Quoting VC10er (Reply 18):
And when you really wrap your head around the size of the route network it is mind-blowing.

Ouch  

mogandoCI

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:17 pm

And when you really wrap your head around the size of the route network it is mind-blowing.

They *only* have 370 global destinations ... and that's not counting "metal-neutrality". [sarcasm]

burnsie28

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 20):
The ranking *has* to be US-centric. I have no idea how CX is that low and jetBlue/Swiss/JAL couldn't make it to the Top 12.

Y'all do realize that this really has nothing to do with onboard product etc? It's more about how the company is run and how the company reacts to situations, not necissarily who has the best FA's, seats, etc.

Polot

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Remember this is a survey of the most admired airlines by the airline industry, which is not the same as having the best service. Yes, it probably is a little US-centric, but Swiss is owned by LH (who is on the list, and considering they lump AF-KL and IAG together might be included with that ranking), JAL has been losing money/bankrupt for some time and is still in the process of shrinking, while all the gulf carriers rely heavily on government support, either directly (i.e Qatar, Ethiad) or more indirectly (i.e Emirates). So it is not surprising that they are not on the list.

PI767

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 6):
From where they were to now! I am more than impressed. I just landed from Brussels at IAD. Seat 1A on a 3 class 777. It was an amazing F class experience! Bravo New UNITED!

and....

From where they were to now! I am more than impressed. I just landed from Brussels at IAD yesterday. Seat 1A on a 3 class 777. It was an amazing F class experience. Bravo New UNITED!

We get it... you had a good flight.
"Piedmont. The Model of What a Good Airline Should Be."

mogandoCI

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 23):
Y'all do realize that this really has nothing to do with onboard product etc? It's more about how the company is run and how the company reacts to situations, not necissarily who has the best FA's, seats, etc.

I wouldn't exactly "admire" US, KL, or QF.

US's CEO only wants his golden parachute to arrive in a merger, and doesn't really care about running the airline or solving labor woes.

KL/QF are being smacked left and right by EK and still can't come up with a strategy to counter-attack.

blueflyer

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Pfffttt, one look at the full Top 50 to know that this ranking is about as worldwide as the World Series is! Probably an attempt by Fortune to get noticed and drive advertising sales... Where is Carrefour, where is Flynn, where is Tata, HDFC, Petrobras, Tesco, etc...

Quoting Polot (Reply 24):
Yes, it probably is a little US-centric

A "little" ? You Sir have earned a spot on the World's Biggest Understatements Of the Year, next on Fortune. 43 of the 50 top companies in the overall ranking are based in the US.

If the list comes from polling airline industry employees, it isn't surprising they're not listed. Gulf carriers and their ability to siphon off traffic from everyone else aren't much appreciated among that group...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

FlyHossD

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 pm

My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

ASA

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:42 pm

HAHAHA - This is like calling the NY Giants the WORLD CHAMPION .... just another US-for-US poll 

[with all pun intended]   

Chicagoflight

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 pm

MOST ADMIRED
Top 50 rank: N.A.
Rank in Airlines: 1
(Previous rank: 7)
Overall score: 6.35
Ticker: UAL

United Continental Holdings stats

Nine key attributes of reputation........Industry rank

Innovation.............................................2
People management................................5
Use of corporate assets...........................2
Social responsibility.................................3
Quality of management............................2
Financial soundness................................2
Long-term investment............................1
Quality of products/services.....................3
Global competitiveness.............................1

Anyone at Fortune read these A.net forums and can tell me why UAL ranks number 1 in industry but is "N.A." on the overall TOP 50 list ???

Southwest and Singapore are in the Top 50 overall AND the Top 10 in industry.... WEIRD

A survey of corporate executives, airline executives, boards of directors and industry analysts determined the rankings. Survey respondents evaluated companies according to the following criteria: innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services, and global competitiveness.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/03/01/...ne-ranks-united.html#storylink=cpy

[Edited 2012-03-02 08:42:02]

United1

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 30):
Anyone at Fortune read these A.net forums and can tell me why UAL ranks number 1 in industry but is "N.A." on the overall TOP 50 list ???

If I'm reading things right on the overall list anyone from any industry could vote for their favorite/most admired company. I'm willing to bet that a ton of non-airline industry people think WN is the best thing since sliced cheese. In the individual industry rankings only airline industry people could rank a carrier. So basically airline insiders think UA is the most admired airline however overall among everyone surveyed WN came out on top.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

planereality

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Fortune = The National Enquirer of finance
Andiamo!

Chicagoflight

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Quoting planereality (Reply 32):

I guess being a member of the Fortune 500 means nothing then.

8-|

[Edited 2012-03-02 10:06:22]

chiawei

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:29 pm

This just goes to show that US is so far removed from real world.

I am going to be stuck for over 15 hours on UA 777 old business class that does not fully recline and no AVOD next week.

Compare to a 4 abreast, 30" wide full flat seat on SQ. I am sorry. SQ is much much better than UA in every aspect.

Coming back from TPE thru NRT. I will have pleasure of sitting on a economy size business class seat where getting in and out would be difficult.

This is heresy.

Rdh3e

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Does nobody realize that they only included 12 carriers in the poll? That is why AMR is "up there at 12" they actually got LAST place out of 12. They didn't beat anyone. There were no other airlines considered.

VC10er

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting PI767 (Reply 25):

Double posting by accident - sorry!
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

Chicagoflight

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting chiawei (Reply 33):
This just goes to show that US is so far removed from real world.

I am going to be stuck for over 15 hours on UA 777 old business class that does not fully recline and no AVOD next week.

Compare to a 4 abreast, 30" wide full flat seat on SQ. I am sorry. SQ is much much better than UA in every aspect.

Coming back from TPE thru NRT. I will have pleasure of sitting on a economy size business class seat where getting in and out would be difficult.

This is heresy.

Uhm did you just ignore all the previous posts and the actual article itself that reveal this is a BUSINESS & COMMERCE award NOT a customer service quality award ??? DOH

[Edited 2012-03-02 12:47:22]

Max Q

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Er, what are they smoking ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

planereality

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Quoting chiawei (Reply 33):
I guess being a member of the Fortune 500 means nothing then.

for evaluating investment opportunities... no, nothing at all
Andiamo!