VC10er
Topic Author

Why No Comfort Food In Premium Classes?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 am

I know I should be more healthy with my diet, but sometimes when I fly in business or even First I just wish once I there was something hearty and familiar rather than an airline always trying to serve gourmet fancy food. What happened to lasagna? What about beef stew or chili? Mac and Cheese? Chicken pot pie?

10 years ago UA used to serve bangers and mash from LHR and since it was just sausage and mashed potatos it was amazing! The single best dish I've ever had was beef and cheese Mannicotti on Continental.

But today, it's all fine dining that falls short of achieving it's goal. I mean who likes 3 day old duck on American? Sometimes I get my best laugh on my beloved United when I read the menu.

I'm not thinking of turning business Class into a diner, but one option that would go great with a mindless fun movie would be awesome. I would even think most of the dishes I mentioned above would even travel well. Survive the process that you food goes through before it lands on your tray table!

Food quality is so often discussed on A.net. Why do ALL airlines feel so compelled to make each dish a masterpiece of fine food, when I bet simple favorites would be huge hits?

Has it been tried and failed?
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

BMI727

RE: Why No Comfort Food In Premium Classes?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 am

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
What happened to lasagna? What about beef stew or chili? Mac and Cheese? Chicken pot pie?

Not upmarket enough?

But overall I'm inclined to agree with you, some more mainstream options might be appreciated. And you do see some nice restaurants selling gourmet versions of "everyday" foods like mac and cheese or pizza so I would imagine airlines can do the same.

I recall a documentary on Air Force One where one of the stewards mentioned that when returning from long international trips they like to serve American food like hamburgers, etc. I would imagine that businessmen returning from Asia or Europe might appreciate something similar.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:31 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):

Actually on United p.s. they sometimes offer a hamburger with a big deli pickle. I had to try it. It was naturally well done and a bit tough but nothing ketchup couldn't fix.

20 years ago on UA I was on the transcon red eye from SFO to JFK in First and they had a whole roast beef! And the FA asked me how I wanted it ...so I said rare. Well it came a bit too rare and she said "let me put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes. It was perfect, with gravy and roasted potatoes.

VARIG used to serve lobster thermador, so once upon a time the cooked in the galley!

airbazar

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 am

Maybe because there's nothing comfortable about comfort food. The world is a diverse place and what you consider comfort food, the passenger next to you may have a different opinion. When trying to please many tastes It's best to stick to basic classic food. For example, I would starve if my options were any of your suggestions of "comfort food".

Avianca

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:55 am

What happened to lasagna? What about beef stew or chili? Mac and Cheese? Chicken pot pie?

had one of my best lasagnas around 15 years ago on AV flight FRA-BOG served as second meal in business... all this after a 7 course lunch including caviar some hours before   it was just great!

Not so sure if chili would be a great option... remember you cant open windows on an airplane 
But overall I'm inclined to agree with you, some more mainstream options might be appreciated. And you do see some nice restaurants selling gourmet versions of "everyday" foods like mac and cheese or pizza so I would imagine airlines can do the same.

isnt AA on westbound transatlantic flights kind of the Pizza king serving them from Eco upto first...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

maxamuus

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 4):
Not so sure if chili would be a great option... remember you cant open windows on an airplane

Yeah, not sure i would want to be on a long haul flight when they served chili onboard.   

smi0006

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 am

QF Serve beef pot pies in business as a mid-flight snack along with a few nice focaccias. And in first they do an amazing steak sandwich in First (at least on LA flights) it is intended as a mid-flight snack but they often load 100% as people often request it as a main.

I think comfort food as a main is not my cuppa, but for a mid-flight snack on a ULH between meals it is a good idea.

Mir

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:06 am

I can only speak for myself, but I don't consider any of those to be comfort food, and if I saw them on the menu I'd give them a pass (except for perhaps the mac and cheese, depending on how it was done).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

qqflyboy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 am

AA serves cheeseburgers in domestic first at lunch, and they're quite popular. AA also serves vegetable lasagna, and yes, the ubiquitous UNOs pizza is served on westbound TATL flights, second service. They serve beef empanadas in some markets, and offer beef quesadillas in others. And the ice cream -- the ultimate comfort food IMO.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Coal

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 am

SQ from time to time has some Singaporean / Malay comfort food, like fish soup, chicken rice, etc.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

ghifty

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:42 am

Agree!

Mac and cheese is good, no matter how much it costs. I'll be content with some Kraft. Or I'll be pleased with a $30 Lobster Mac and cheese.. which, believe me, is quite good. Perhaps it really would be a better idea for US carriers to switch over to more simple comfort foods but make it gourmet comfort food.

I imagine it's harder and costlier to make some fancy French dish taste good or "okay" at 35,000 feet in the air.
Fly Delta Jets

HELyes

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 3):
Maybe because there's nothing comfortable about comfort food. The world is a diverse place and what you consider comfort food, the passenger next to you may have a different opinion. When trying to please many tastes It's best to stick to basic classic food. For example, I would starve if my options were any of your suggestions of "comfort food".

Exactly, the world is a diverse place. I'm a westerner but my perfect comfort food menu would look very different: fish, pasta, Japanese food, dark chocolate...

mozart

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:50 am

Because "comfort food" is a euphemism from people lacking gastronomic culture, consumed primarily in countries that have a relatively higher proportion of obese people and whose language doesn't even have a term for "bon appetit"   In other parts of the world what some call "comfort food" is called "junk food", for a reason.

And it's a pity. The Anglo-Saxon countries, probably the epicenter of bad eating habits, have absolutely superb produces: the quality of US or Australian beef is superior to most, any supermarket in the US has great fresh fruit and vegetables, Australian wines are world class, and the Brits at least were open enough to let foreigners open up restaurants to make London the most interesting eating place in Europe.

Having said that I agree with you that most, albeit not all, airlines fail miserably at bringing their more "sophisticated" dishes up to the quality level they aspire to. It it can be done, some Asian airlines prove it.

Personally I am glad there isn't more of it.

iainbhx

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 am

Lufthansa offers comfort food in long-haul premium classes with "Lufthansa Classics" which counteracts the sometimes rather florid dishes dreamed up by it's "Star Chefs". It also offers special menus from time to time, I had an Oktoberfest menu from MUC-HKG at the end of September and there was a special selection of Bayerisch snacks in the lounges at MUC.

BA and SQ also seem to get it right with a mix of food, whilst most premium class menus I've seen and tasted from US carriers have, frankly, been rather dull.
iainbhx

mikey72

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 am

Money.

That's like asking why you get afternoon tea at the Ritz but not at the Holiday Inn.

Get what you pay for in this life.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

anstar

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 am

I've been on BA and Virgin and received Mac and cheese and also bangers and mash in economy.

I've also had Lasagnge and beef chilli in premium economy on virgin too. so they do serve stuff like that.

ikramerica

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 12):

Bullhockey.

Plain and simple.

Luxembourg has comfort food. It's simply different.

The OPs point is that offering "gourmet" food prepared badly is the norm these days, and many comfort foods are easier to execute in an airline kitchen.

But I think airlines offer it as sides, not mains. Ratatouille and spetzle are European comfort foods and were offered as sides on UA F to LHR on Thursday.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

mikey72

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:56 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 16):
The OPs point is that offering "gourmet" food prepared badly is the norm these days, and many comfort foods are easier to execute in an airline kitchen.

I don't know why airlines still insist on serving hot food.

Cold fare travels much better and is far more appetizing.

Give me a nice big bowl of chicken ceasar, a slab of Chocolate New York Cheesecake and a fresh cup of coffee to finish with any day of the week !!

The atmosphere/environment on an aircraft is so unconducive to fine dining I've never understood the emphasis on it with modern flying.

As for booze..nothing makes you feel more like sh*t than drinking too much on a long-haul flight.

Dom Perignon....don't think so...cup of tea thanks !!

It should be all about hard product in premium with simple yet quality catering.

And in economy neither !

Rock 'ard seats and crap food so next time they shell out the big bucks !!

(just kidding)

[Edited 2012-03-04 03:05:17]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

757ops

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:32 am

ET has some good business class good, they offer lasagne sometimes or Mutton stew or Chicken Pasta, it's a welcome break from the so called 'gourmet' offerings of most and it is always a hit with clean dishes all round!

abrown532

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:30 pm

The best in-flight food I have ever had was on British Airways JFK-LHR. It was Steak Chunks in a thick gravy with creamy mashed potatoes, and that was only in Premium Economy!

starguy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:29 pm

I've just traveled in First on BA and one of their 'Classic' options was Sausage and mashed potato and according to the crew, every passenger appart from me chose it. So people who travel in premium classes do like comfort food. Airlines have to get the balance right though and I think BA does it very well in my experience.

workwings

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 3):
For example, I would starve if my options were any of your suggestions of "comfort food".

As would I. On CO in Business First, as well as domestic first, they have ice cream sundaes. And cookies as a snack. I for one would appreciate something lighter and/or more subtle. A small fruit plate or small flan or interesting tastes of cheese...AF, LH, OS, LX all do better in this regard. Eating heavy, carb-rich food may be good at keeping pax sated and quiet but it does nothing for our health or for recovery from jet lag.

Markam

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Well, SQ has a special menu for kids who travel on premium classes that include many comfort food staples. They mention it is intended for passengers 2-11, but I would imagine that if one asks nicely enough they would be more than happy to serve it to an adult: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/flying-with-us/yummy/

Personally, if I felt "comforty" I would go with the lobster thermidor, rib-eye steak, chicken rice or gyudon from Book the Cook, but conceededly, I am not American, so my idea of comfort food is most likely different: https://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/flying_with_us/businesssingapore.jsp

In any case, I understand the OP's point, sometimes one doesn't really feel like eating healthy stuff!      

ULMFlyer

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Quoting workwings (Reply 21):
On CO in Business First, as well as domestic first, they have ice cream sundaes.

Also, there's always a "pasta bowl" among the entrée options.
Let's go Pens!

usdcaguy

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 pm

It seems to me that many of the comfort foods are hard to work with in First and Business, including:

- Hamburgers - they're supposed to be warm/hot in the middle and grilled with at least fresh tomato slices, onion, lettuce sitting on top. All of this ideally goes inside good, warm bread. Assembling all of this in a tiny galley would at best be challenging. Hard to get the hot/cool/warm thing down enough to make it taste good.

- Mac and Cheese - the dryness of the air in the cabin is going to make that stuff taste pasty. You would need to use some strong cheeses to ensure it retained flavor, and at that point I wonder if it would still taste like mac and cheese.

- Hot Dogs - too messy for a plane if you really want to do one right with all the Chicago fixins and boring and tasteless if you don't

- Pizza - I've been served garbage on a plane that's called pizza so many times (AA used to serve Uno's a long time ago in First Class), and it has never had much flavor. It comes across way too doughy at FL3500 due to the dry air.

Some that could work and you could dress up to make them seem fancy enough for F/J:

- Lasagna - the tomato sauce keeps this one wet and flavorful. Garlic bread with that would go well.

- Ribs - you can throw these things in the oven and reheat them very easily while they sit in a self-contained dish.

- Moussaka - the grease and cheese mixture in this is deadly, but the dish works exactly like lasagna

- Lamb Souvlaki - fairly easy to reheat, perfect on a bed of orzo with a size of tzatziki

- Chicken Shawarma - heat the chicken in its own dish, then serve with a Fattoush salad, tabouli, warmed pita (easy to heat in those metal bags) and hummus

davescj

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 pm

DL internationally always offers a pasta option (which is usually decent).

DL domestically at lunch offer a cold pasta entree salad and a chicken ceased (at least this month).

Most of the international flights on DL have a steak/potatoes option.

The DL snack basket has both healthy snacks (apples, bananas) and "comfort" food (chocolates, chips, cookies).

I think part of what is at issue is the clean ability of the dish (and your clothes as pointed out with red sauce) and the fact that the entree can't be more than 2" high (do to oven space). Also, since food is being reheated now a days (not cooked) there are limits to what will work well.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

ElGrandeB777CA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Comfort Food?...How about just Comfort!

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Gee, I find your comments a tad snobby! Yes, "comfort food" was a term invented to put yummy, often fattening food in a category which acknowledges that people sometimes want food that is as simple as a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs or Mac and Cheese. They don't need to be junk food, they can be made well. I regret not mentioning that different cultures have their own versions of comfort food. I will go out on a limb and say that due to my global travels I have cultivated a palate for fine food...I'm also born and raised in NYC. Often referred to as the restaurant capital of the world. One of my clients is Dean & Deluca.

I never meant to suggest that a premium class on any airline should change ALL options on the menu to be Mac and Cheese (and by the way I only used a few American comfort food dishes as an "example") I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and while I am always treated to fine dining by my clients...sometimes I am DYING for real Fondue or Raclette. I put that in the "high quality comfort food" category. My Swiss friends and Swiss business associates consider it Swiss "comfort food" often reminding them of their childhood.

How great for a Brazilian to have Feioada on a flight? And if there is any dish that could survive anything it's Feijoada.

Since I fly United by far the most, an airline that hasn't been famous for good food, YES, I would opt, even in First Class sometimes (out of 4 choices) for a simple big helping to Mac and Cheese and not an amazing sounding gourmet meal that will indeed fall short of that same meal at Union Square Cafe.

fbgdavidson

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting StarGuy (Reply 20):
I've just traveled in First on BA and one of their 'Classic' options was Sausage and mashed potato and according to the crew, every passenger appart from me chose it. So people who travel in premium classes do like comfort food.

I'm not entirely surprised, I'd rather have a more "downmarket" dish done well than an "upmarket" one done poorly. I've taken a punt on BA's steaks in First and Club World enough to know I'm better off ordering something simpler that is harder to screw up. I suspect others who have flown First more than a handful of times probably know that too  

The "Classics" in First does cover a fairly wide range of dishes and not necessarily all that'd I'd consider British either. Roast duck, Beef Wellington, scones and the like obviously but I've seen sandwiches with Mediterranean vegetables and feta cheese listed as classics too!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

homadreaming

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:49 pm

I think if Us carriers still served food in Y, they would serve lasagna and Hamburgers and as many folks know much better than I do here, CO did serve those burgers in Y almost up to the end. Hate to drag IR in this one since their barely flying now a days but back in the day when people who didn't have death wishes used it, IR was known to serve Persian comfort foods like Tah-Chin and Khoreshts ( savory Persian Stews somewhat similar to Currys). From a lifetime of observations I can comfortably say many Iranians are notoriously picky eaters, most of them hate spicy foods and seafood or any food that has a 'smell' to it. Business men coming back home would fly IR over other carriers just so they can get something 'hearty' after a long trip to a place like Tokyo or Bangkok ... So I guess it is a tricky one, Comfort food translates into so many things to so many people. Ultimately it comes down to money, logistics and pervasive food trends that defines what is served on an airline. Right now its food network style fusion fanciness that is the hot item. On top of all that, IMHO you can not do good hearty American food without the use of a deep fryer on board  

WROORD

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:55 pm

I think people in general have diffrent expectations in premium classes and most would be offended if someone would try to offer them a hot dog.
Having said that, I think in economy a good airline should at least give you a biscut or trail mix. I can do without food for a couple of hours, but it is nice to get a small something like they ued to do it a few years back.

Alnicocunife

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Never being one to turn down any kind of food, not a picky eater, always willing to try something new, never knowing when I will have food again (crash on a deserted island) I love airplane food. I do not really care what it is. I have eaten what appeared to be a Cyst ball puff pastry chicken thing (Delta F class in the 90's very good), cornish game hens (AA F class) steak, fish of unknown origin with snail darter sauce, burped up plenty breakfast sausage, even just peanuts or pretzels, It has all been good. I did not have to prepare it, it was served to my seat location and it was free, mostly because I fly non-rev.

roseflyer

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:38 pm

One of the problems with some of the foods mentioned is that they are hard to reheat evenly. Everything needs to be heated in a convection oven. Many comfort food items are quite challenging to get right. There's a reason why the majority of food is a protein with sides accompanying it or a curry/pasta that has a consistent texture. Currys heat well. Meat heats well. A sandwich does not heat since it typically contains hot and cold elements. Burgers/sandwiches can only have meet and cheese in them because they have to be heated on the convection oven as a whole. That works in economy, but isn't a particularly gourmet meal.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N62NA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

There was a similar topic on here a few weeks ago about "Celebrity Chef" menus on the airlines. Here's what I wrote there (and I think it applies here too):

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...5399130&s=CELEBRITY+CHEF#ID5399130

Personally, I don't prefer all that fancy stuff - give me good, simple food and I'm happy. Example, on AA 1520 (3 class 777 in F LAX-MIA) last December, I had probably the best meal ever on an airplane: Warm nuts, salad with grilled chicken, chicken pot pie, ice cream sundae, freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.

I much prefer that to:

TO BEGIN

Warm Appetizer

Lobster bisque, cheese and piquillo pepper spring roll,
coconut chicken and eggplant-mango chutney

Fresh Seasonal Greens

Tomato, feta cheese and pecans
with your choice of garlic and sour cream dressing
or balsamic vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Grilled Tenderloin of Beef

Asiago broth, brown butter gnocchi and fresh green asparagus

Roasted Breast of Chicken

Mustard barbecue sauce, steamed jasmine rice, pickled cabbage
and fresh garden vegetables

Grilled Rock Fish

Plum jus and sweet plantains sautéed with long beans

Not picking on UA/CO - it's just that they're the only ones brave enough to publish their menus (I salute them for that!). But I truly am not interested in eating "Asiago broth" or "pickled cabbage" or a salad with pecans and feta cheese.

Luxair

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Have you ever been to the US? On my many occasions I've been there, I can assure you that the food is a way better than in most restaurants in Luxembourg who many of them them serves a kind of luxembourgish comfort food! There are some exceptions of course but thats only a handful out of hundreds but than by ex go to NYC or Miami and you would be surprised about the excellent choice and quality of anglo-saxo food served  

That said, I know for sure that the food in BA premium classes is not inferior to any other not saxo-anglo airlines in this world, the opposite is proven, that's exactly why I choose BA business class for my next flight to LAX in april, comfort seats and comfort food 

TIA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Say whatever you want to say about US eating habits, but food choices in the major US cities are far superior to any other country. You simply cannot find the same variety and quality anywhere else. And London has the best food in Europe??? Was this a joke? Sure you can find high end restaurants that can cater to almost any taste, but I don't want the whole shabang of fine dining every time I want to grab a bite to eat.

Braniff747SP

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting HomaDreaming (Reply 29):
this one since their barely flying now a days but back in the day when people who didn't have death wishes used it, IR was known to serve Persian comfort foods like Tah-Chin and Khoreshts ( savory Persian Stews somewhat similar to Currys

This is what I want to eat on a plane! I've seem some trip reports here on A.net, flying Homa- the food was similar to what you describe.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

kgaiflyer

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 8):
AA also serves vegetable lasagna, and yes, the ubiquitous UNOs pizza is served on westbound TATL flights,

Last time I flew AC YYC-YYZ, half the plane was having 'personal pan pizza' with either a Molson or a Heineken.

After lunch and before dinner, it hit the spot  

BMI727

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting TIA (Reply 35):
You simply cannot find the same variety and quality anywhere else.

That seems to be one thing about American food, if there is such a thing. Seems to me that Italians eat Italian food, Chinese eat Chinese food (the real stuff, not chicken nuggets with soy sauce), Japanese eat Japanese food, etc. Americans on the other hand, eat everything. Ethnic food of others seems much more prevalent among Americans than other groups, but maybe that's just my perception.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Avianca

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 27):
How great for a Brazilian to have Feioada on a flight? And if there is any dish that could survive anything it's Feijoada.

that would be even mor killing than Chilly.... I know that SouthAfrican served years ago or still from germany some traditional stuff like mashed potatos, Bratwurst and Sauerkraut... I wont imagine what is even worse smelling... (at least the smelling that is produced after 200 people had it...) Sauerkraut or Feioada.... at least the aircraft would surly save some gaaas using the "pure natural" form of it...      
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:26 pm

On DL they were offering a pretty good pizza in F during lunch service and a couple months ago lasagna was on the menu for dinner although I think it's gone already.
What gets measured gets done.

texdravid

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Alaska serves cheeseburgers on some sectors....pretty good.

I don't need some lame attempt at fine food.

What bugs me about airlines in the US is the poor quality fancy dish in first, and some dogfood equivalent for purchase in coach.

Sell burgers, fries, and chicken sandwiches/nuggets in coach and watch the cash flow in. Not that you should eat that all the time, but once in a while is ok.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

atcsundevil
Crew

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I had jumbalaya from IAH-LAX on sCO about two months ago. I couldn't pass that up! That's the definition of comfort food.

ghifty

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 41):

Alaska serves cheeseburgers on some sectors....pretty good.

ONT-SEA? An old couple sitting next to me ordered a burger (low in supply) and were grumbling "oh, I don't expect it to be good..." It came, and they were quite impressed and said it tasted good too.

Quoting texdravid (Reply 41):
What bugs me about airlines in the US is the poor quality fancy dish in first, and some dogfood equivalent for purchase in coach.

Exactly. My train plane of though is that it's easier and, probably, cheaper to perfect "simple" dishes than perfect "fancy" dishes.

[Edited 2012-03-04 13:28:18]

[Edited 2012-03-04 13:29:05]
Fly Delta Jets

totesen

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Because "comfort food" is a euphemism from people lacking gastronomic culture, consumed primarily in countries that have a relatively higher proportion of obese people and whose language doesn't even have a term for "bon appetit"   In other parts of the world what some call "comfort food" is called "junk food", for a reason.

And it's a pity. The Anglo-Saxon countries, probably the epicenter of bad eating habits, have absolutely superb produces: the quality of US or Australian beef is superior to most, any supermarket in the US has great fresh fruit and vegetables, Australian wines are world class, and the Brits at least were open enough to let foreigners open up restaurants to make London the most interesting eating place in Europe.

Having said that I agree with you that most, albeit not all, airlines fail miserably at bringing their more "sophisticated" dishes up to the quality level they aspire to. It it can be done, some Asian airlines prove it.

Personally I am glad there isn't more of it.

¡BRAVO!

i totally agree. i dont want to eat junk food in first, i expect a first class service, with first class food, not a home made or fast food menu.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

lxmd11

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Spot on my friend, the best meal i have ever had on an airplane was pork fried rice on singapore airlines. They give you a menu naming which chef made each meal, a little gordon ramsey here, some jamie oliver there. It was a long flight so i got to taste lots of the meals, but the simple pork fried rice on the mid night snacks was the best. You can make fancy food on an airplane, because you can't make it without a professional kitchen. I say stick to the basics.

B4REAL

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 40):
On DL they were offering a pretty good pizza in F during lunch service and a couple months ago lasagna was on the menu for dinner although I think it's gone already.

I've not had DL's pizza in F, but they also have a pizza in Y for the snack on Europe -> North America routes which is pretty good. Better than the lunch served earlier!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Airport

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 pm

IMO, the buy-on-board you get on AS in Y is in-flight meals done absolutely right. For a very reasonable price you get hearty, filling food that tastes great, even if it's not as fancy or elegant as what's served up front. So much so that, just like you predicted, I've heard many stories of folks in F requesting what's being served in Y. I really wish more airlines served food like the BOB offerings AS has, it's great, and I think it's what you allude to in the OP.

[Edited 2012-03-04 15:27:42]

SEA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 pm

I'd love some comfort food in F. Generally when I'm headed somewhere, I don't mind starting off with a "higher" class meal, but after a week or so of traveling, I'm ready for some good old-fashioned chicken pot pie or the like.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 pm

Never in a million years did I think this topic would gain such steam!

My last UA trip in F from Brussels had a spinach pasta in a gorgonzola and parmesan cheese sauce accented (love that) with red wine infused pears. I ordered it. I wonered a bit about the red wine infused pears but figured it would be some tiny thing on top...instead there were about 20 cubes of deep purple things that made me gag. I removed them and the pasta with the cheese sauce was very good. I leaned forward to see what the guy next to me had ordered. He ordered the same. He too had removed these purple styrofoam squares and seemed to be enjoying the pasta as I did! It went great with my movie "the Artist" and had a lovely experience. But why oh why try giant deep purple pears?

And I don't know why, but that Ice Cream Sundae always hits the spot on any airline, and just as if I was 7 years old the FA's drowned it in chocolate and caramel sauce just as I had asked!

If anyone from United is reading...go to S'mak & Cheese in the East Village in NYC as see if they can help you recreate their magic...it has a line out the door of 50 people on a freezing day. Even brand it S'mak & Cheese! I defy the worlds most sophisticated chef to disparage it.