PA515
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 112

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 am

Welcome to the New Zealand Avition Thread # 112.
In New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 111 we discussed:

• - Air NZ Interim Result
  • - Air NZ orders two more 789s
  • - Air NZ Sep 77W charter to EZE
  • - Air NZ HNL flights
  • - Air NZ AKL-GRU possibilites
  • - Pre-clearance suggestion for US flights
  • - 77L/77W/789/77E range/payload comparisons
  • - ZK-SJE now XA-VIT for Viva Aerobus
  • - Air NZ defers delivery of 4th and 5th 789s
  • - IATA website fuel price chart
  • - Air NZ Frequent Flyer changes eff. 30 May
  • - Extra Air NZ AKL-LAX flights due QF ceasing
  • - Medical emergency on DJ/NZ flight
  • - Air NZ Management

cchan

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 201):
Xiaotung, Well done for getting mentioned in the Herald.. You could become the "Erin Brockavich" of the airpoints scheme....

Unfortunately the reporters don't check the a.net forums, otherwise the bitching and moaning about Airpoints would have appeared in the media a lot earlier.

aerorobnz

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am

Quoting cchan (Reply 1):
Unfortunately the reporters don't check the a.net forums, otherwise the bitching and moaning about Airpoints would have appeared in the media a lot earlier.

fortunately this keeps my dissent out...:-P
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

PA515
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting PA515 (Thread starter):
Air NZ Frequent Flyer changes eff. 30 May

Good on Xiaotung for going to the Herald, but they only quoted from the first post of his thread. There's plenty more that could be quoted by the Herald.

I spent a couple of hours reading the FT thread of over 330 posts in four days. It was like a book I couldn't put down. All posters negative except two who had just joined and were accused of being Air NZ 'plants'. One of those referred to Frequent Flyers as "spoilt children" on a Frequent Flyer forum!

And the spin in the response e-mails from Air NZ, shameful insulting rubbish that makes it even worse. This is potentially much bigger than the 77W PE seating disaster of last year as these pax say they no longer trust Air NZ. And Rob Fyfe is away until the 20th March!

PA515

[Edited 2012-03-05 03:12:14]

koruman

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 112

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 3):
Good on Xiaotung for going to the Herald, but they only quoted from the first post of his thread. There's plenty more that could be quoted by the Herald.

And the spin in the response e-mails from Air NZ, shameful insulting rubbish that makes it even worse. This is potentially much bigger than the 77W PE seating disaster of last year as these pax say they no longer trust Air NZ. And Rob Fyfe is away until the 20th March!

The last week has probably been the most telling one I can recall in Air New Zealand's history - and I'm well into my fourth decade of flying long-haul with the airline.

The changes to the loyalty program may now have been partially reversed (a very small part), but they spell out loud and clear what Air New Zealand's current management think of their passengers.

It is all a business, of course. Many businesses go out of their way to ensure the loyalty of their best customers. Borghetti has been doing that at Virgin Australia, and Starwood hotels have just introduced numerous extra perks for their top tier elites, from free breakfast to 10 suite upgrades per year.

Air NZ's management don't think that that is a good investment. They have realigned their loyalty program to be a retail and banking loyalty program, and have decided to strip out the benefits which they know their elite frequent flyers most appreciate in favour of seeking more ancillary revenue from infrequent flyers buying upgrades with money.

It was John Macilree on this board a couple of years ago who drew my attention to something I'd never previously noticed: under Rob Fyfe the airline was exclusively concentrating on new monopoly routes. It has become ever clearer over the last week that the airline believes that the exit of Qantas enables it to treat its best Trans-Pacific customers without any loyalty because it knows that they have nowhere else to go.

The next steps will be fascinating. It is obvious that at least half of their top tier frequent flyers will now transfer their loyalty elsewhere, but it is clear that the airline is planning to operate with limited long-haul capacity and that it views frequent flyers and their feelings of entitlement as a burden, a liability, and that they believe that they are better off without them.

My respect for John Borghetti has skyrocketed since he left Qantas for Virgin, and I find myself nodding my head in admiration at each step he takes to boost the yield-base of the airline. And of course now Virgin's profits have overtaken those of Qantas.

Messrs Fyfe, Luxon and Mackrell obviously feel that that it is foolish, and that the right horse to back is the low-cost model, and that passengers will endure anything for the cheapest fare.

They have drawn a clear line in the sand, and their elite frequent flyers now know that aren't part of that plan. And if frequent flyers didn't at first understand that they most certainly got the message when they were described as "children" and accused of "gaming the system", not to mention when they received - and continue to receive - emails telling them that black is white and that they had been too stupid to understand what the changes were.

Fascinating! My guess is that the airline's fate has actually been sealed now. The frequent flyer base was already antagonised by Seats To Suit and rampant Airpoints devaluation and now sees what was universally viewed as the last remaining worthwhile benefit of their frequent flyer accounts eliminated. Emirates, Singapore Airlines and Qantas are obvious beneficiaries westwards, but to the East it will be United who will gain when they open IAH-AKL.

I can't think of any airline which has so universally and profoundly antagonised its elite frequent flyers and then told them that they are idiots for misunderstanding. Plenty of airlines have slowly devalued their earning or inflated the burn rates, but this seems unique in modern aviation history. It has been a frontal assault on their own best customers, followed by transparently misleading propaganda to tell them that they should be grateful and not upset.

So we're about to find out whether elite frequent flyers are an asset or a burden.

[Edited 2012-03-05 05:10:28]

koruman

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 3):
Good on Xiaotung for going to the Herald

I don't think he did.

Someone obviously has - it wasn't me either   - but they have just been lazy and cut and pasted comments from the first post in a long thread.

777ER
Crew

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Quoting koruman (Reply 4):
The frequent flyer base was already antagonised by Seats To Suit and rampant Airpoints devaluation and now sees what was universally viewed as the last remaining worthwhile benefit of their frequent flyer accounts eliminated. Emirates, Singapore Airlines and Qantas are obvious beneficiaries westwards, but to the East it will be United who will gain when they open IAH-AKL.

My mum who has only recently become interested in flying and aviation is now telling me to give up NZ and fly QF/DJ via Australia or even take EK or an Asian airline to the USA for less then what NZ charges. Lets see how my up-coming QF flight this week goes!

MillwallSean

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Personally I gave up on NZ years ago, ie when they introduced airpoints I knew where this was heading. That feels pretty good right now.

But after reading korumans post, which I agree with, I wonder if this really will hurt NZ that much. What customers will they loose from this?
people like us will to a man know this is bad and that there is little point in giving our loyalty to NZ. But we are the minority. Most NZ based customers and expat kiwis wills till think NZ is their airline.

Their Australian operation is virtually dead as it is. With more non-stops from non Sydney to the US west coast there isn't much of a competitive edge for NZ to use in Australia. They might loose what was left of that market.

What about corporate contracts. First I have never seen NZ push these especially hard. Its like they expect the kiwi based companies to choose them no matter what. And they are often right, kiwi companies tend to use NZ domestically and across the Tasman by default.
I frequent the European business association in Auckland. Continental Europeans are there. Very few there gives NZ their traffic. I don't think this will drain their corporate contracts. Kiwi companies will just go on flying NZ by default until they get gobbled up by a foreign entity.

So whats left to loose a few aware flayers that shop around for Frequent flyer programs. I think NZ are prepared to loose them. I also think that they are less than 5% of the total Gold elites, golds etc.

As Koruman said, NZ don't operate many international routes in direct competition with strong airlines. Sure you have HongKong but thats about it. The people looking to Asia already uses other airlines than NZ so what is there to loose for NZ?
To LAX etc there is no choice and NZ has a quasi monopoly on the domestic market.

But for those of you looking to get rewarded for loyalty no matter what class, no matter what status all I cans ay is shop around. There are so many better programs out there than airpoints.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

nascarnut

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Monarch Airlines 757-200 on its way into AKL from PPT today 6th March.
At this stage eta 1440.
Looks like a Captains Choice Tour
Flt # MON9930
Unfortuantely AKL is operating on 05R at the moment.

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:05:27]
Flight is just transitting AKL for fuel enroute to SYD.

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:10:08]

Kaiarahi

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 pm

It has become ever clearer over the last week that the airline believes that the exit of Qantas enables it to treat its best Trans-Pacific customers without any loyalty because it knows that they have nowhere else to go.
to the East it will be United who will gain when they open IAH-AKL.

I'm hearing that AC are thinking about AKL-YVR (which would connect on AC to LHR and FRA) and/or AKL-LAX-YYZ (which would connect on AC to LHR, CDG, FRA, CPH, MAD, MUC). If AC decided to get really aggressive, they could reciprocate what Airpoints does and not allow Aeroplan points to be accumulated on NZ flights, which would probably see them pick up a substantial part of the higher-yield FF market. AC's product is significantly better than UA's, and Aeroplan is better than MileagePlus.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

mariner

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 7):
people like us will to a man know this is bad and that there is little point in giving our loyalty to NZ. But we are the minority. Most NZ based customers and expat kiwis wills till think NZ is their airline.

Whoa! I live in NZ and I surely don't think of Air New Zealand as "my" airline. I don't think of any airline as "my" airline.

I will continue to investigate Air NZ when I want to travel as I will investigate the competitors, and I will go with the airline that gives me the best deal - which isn't necessarily about the fare.

I'm going to Perth in June and based on what I am presently being offered, Air NZ may well win.

mariner
aeternum nauta

koruman

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Air NZ's management don't think that that is a good investment. They have realigned their loyalty program to be a retail and banking loyalty program, and have decided to strip out the benefits which they know their elite frequent flyers most appreciate in favour of seeking more ancillary revenue from infrequent flyers buying upgrades with money.
It is obvious that at least half of their top tier frequent flyers will now transfer their loyalty elsewhere, but it is clear that the airline is planning to operate with limited long-haul capacity and that it views frequent flyers and their feelings of entitlement as a burden, a liability, and that they believe that they are better off without them.
I wonder if this really will hurt NZ that much. What customers will they loose from this?

Their Australian operation is virtually dead as it is. With more non-stops from non Sydney to the US west coast there isn't much of a competitive edge for NZ to use in Australia. They might loose what was left of that market.

I'm not sure that the Australian long-haul operation was actually already dead, but it sure as hell is now.

Air NZ's niche from Australia has been Brisbane and Melbourne, and most of their passengers, like myself, have a degree of control over their bookings. I usually find that around 4 or so other passengers (outside my booking) in Business Class on each NZ136 BNE-AKL continue on to my AKL-LAX or AKL-SFO flight. I'm assuming that that market will now no longer continue to fly Air NZ, and that NZ5/6 (LAX) and NZ7/8 (SFO) are now going to become marginal propositions. Only the exit of Qantas from AKL-LAX may give Air NZ a reprieve.

So whats left to loose a few aware flayers that shop around for Frequent flyer programs. I think NZ are prepared to loose them. I also think that they are less than 5% of the total Gold elites, golds etc.

I agree with you that what Air NZ is going to lose is the motivated, savvy frequent flyers. And that they think that they are not a good investment.

I'm just not sure whether or not I agree with the airline that those passengers are not worth retaining. It is basically Mariner's position, isn't it, that frequent flyers are essentially worthless and a liability rather than an asset. But it is not the prevailing view in global aviation, and Virgin Australia's newfound profitability is on the back of an enhanced frequent flyer program, Status Matching elites from other carriers and adding Business Class to narrowbody aircraft which previously operated under a Seats To Suit-style model.

The anger and hurt aroused by all this is essentially silly: it is a business proposition for airline and consumers alike, and each side is free to take their product or custom where they like. It is just awful for NZ-based passengers who have no real choice either domestically or across the Pacific, and who are effectively held captive to Air NZ. The Australian market will now evaporate overnight: every NZ elite I know in Australia already considered the airline to be on its last chance, and we are spoilt for choice with alternative carriers.

My view is that Air New Zealand will also be damaged in New Zealand, and that they will now lose even more market share to Europe and Asia, but North America will hold on artificially until a new entrant (United) enters the market. "Earn To Fly" has massively expanded the base of Airpoints membership in New Zealand, but they are now going to discover that there is nothing worthwhile to spend those Airpoints on, and that will inevitably lead to a drift away. We have already seen that with the OneSmart Mastercard - lots of people activated it for the raffle, but I've yet to meet anyone who then continued to use it, because the fees were not worthwhile.

Even if Australian feed and departing Gold Elites only account for let's say 5 passengers in Business Class per flight, I think that that will compromise revenue and yields on all flights to the USA and Canada..

I'd now be surprised to see an independent Air New Zealand in 2016: I suspect that Virgin Australia or Qantas will take full control by then, and that the airline will be reduced to operating short-haul A320s and 787-9s for inbound Chinese visitors and a single daily LAX service. I cannot imagine that they will be able to fill 77Ws.

Several weeks ago I named my management team to run the airline. Unfortunately I failed to identify who was actually going to take over:

CEO: JIM HICKEY. Popular bloke. Flat tummy, looks decent with his kit off and he's good company. Not sure that he knows anything about aviation. He could delegate to his management team, but they are all either just out of Uni or accountants who've never worked in an airline, so this might not go too well.

(If any of you watched the 2009 remake of Reggie Perrin, his two adolescent advertising sidekicks now appear to have free rein to "innovate" in ever more unorthodox ways. A bit like Air NZ's current management unit.)

Head of PR: JOSEPH GOEBBELS - with the innovative new task of spinning propaganda to his victims, rather than his accomplices. "With this new enhancement to the product, you only pay for what you want. So we charge you more than we used to last year when it was all-inclusive, and then you pay us even more money to have luggage, IFE, food, drink or Airpoints. We call it Seats To Suit Us".

Head of Loyalty: SIR ROGER DOUGLAS. "What do you mean you expect your loyalty to get you free flights or upgrades? It's User Pays! So you want to upgrade your $5000 Premium Economy ticket to Business Premier, which retails for $8000? OK, you need to put in an auction bid for at least $3000 roundtrip, with your credit card details, plus pay the taxes which were included in the $8000 fare if you'd bought it in the first place. And you're lucky I'm letting you do that."

Head of Route Planning: Simpilicity / REALDEAL. "Forget using the 789s to North America. Let's put 700 seats on them and fly them to Invercargill" (Well, it's now looking like 340 seats from China for the 789s instead of 260 seats to North America).

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:41:42]

[Edited 2012-03-05 15:45:09]

mariner

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 11):
It is basically Mariner's position, isn't it, that frequent flyers are essentially worthless and a liability rather than an asset.

When did I say that?

mariner
aeternum nauta

aerorobnz

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting planenutz (Thread starter):
If you choose Air New Zealand Airpoints, you will still have to pay the joining fee.
Your miles will not transfer. Only your status.

hahahaha I read this on the Status match for Spanair frequent flyers thread. Like anyone is going to be stupid enough to join airpoints for a fee, lose their current mileage when there are better free memberships out there.

If any carrier did a status match for NZ right now, they would really be in business...

***Edited to add that G-MONJ is the registration of the Monarch 752 due soon at AKL.***

[Edited 2012-03-05 17:23:55]
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Gasman

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 9):
AC's product is significantly better than UA's, and Aeroplan is better than MileagePlus.

Would be nice to see AC here. It's been ten years since I flew with them, and I remember thinking back then that their product was not quite on a par with NZ's. What sort of comparison would you make now?

koruman

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 12):
When did I say that?

I think a couple of threads ago I recall you arguing cogently that airlines had made a rod for their own back by giving away far too much for loyalty, to the point that it was bad for business.

mariner

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 15):
I think a couple of threads ago I recall you arguing cogently that airlines had made a rod for their own back by giving away far too much for loyalty, to the point that it was bad for business.

I certainly said airlines had made a rod for their own backs - as we see in this thread. The torrent of upgrades to first class in the US were one of the major contributing factors to the decline of standards in first class in the US and there is probably more whinging about the lack of availability of award seats than any other single issue.

I don't use FF programs much - I only collect miles (points, whatever) because they're there and I've just given away more than a quarter of a million miles on US carriers to charity. I am probably going to book Air NZ in a day or two (where I have few miles) instead of Virgin Australia (where I have quite a lot).

But none of that means that means that having created the monster those frequent fliers should be disregarded, or that those fliers are "worthless."

Within reason, I think some form of loyalty program might be a valid idea but they became candy boxes in the good times and withdrawal from any addiction is always painful.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Kaiarahi

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 14):
Would be nice to see AC here. It's been ten years since I flew with them, and I remember thinking back then that their product was not quite on a par with NZ's. What sort of comparison would you make now?

Still not quite on a par, although drastically better than 10 years ago. The international hard product is very close (although no PE), but few airlines match NZ's onboard service throughout the plane. However, most J pax would find little difference. It's way better than UA - AC consistently wins "best North American" awards. The domestic/North American product is superior to NZ's (e.g. touchscreen seatback AVOD on all aircraft, front-of-cabin and extra-pitch seating reserved for FF status pax, status pax offered first choice of meals, etc.). AC's frequent flyer program is probably the best in the business - it's been spun off to a separate company, and actually generates profit. Banks, hotels, car rental companies compete to be partners, but it's still effectively based on and rewards loyalty. I have no problem using AC Aeroplan points for rewards/upgrades on other * carriers - except NZ, which makes it impossible.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

ZKOJH

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 am

How far off are we going to get a deadline on this?

A blow for CHC if it happens! maybe NZ will jump in and fill the route?

''AirAsia X set to cancel NZ operations''

Large numbers of New Zealand tourists will have their holiday plans affected if AirAsia X pulls out of the Christchurch to Kuala Lumpur route, a leading travel agent says.

Industry sources say the Malaysian budget airline has approached Air New Zealand about the availability of special fares to cater for passengers who will have their travel plans disrupted by their flights being cancelled.

The fares needed to be available in the next few weeks, sources said.

http://tvnz.co.nz/travel-news/airasi...x-set-cancel-nz-operations-4764129
Vietnam time..

sunrisevalley

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 18):
'AirAsia X set to cancel NZ operations''

I wonder how much their cancellation of KUL to Europe services is contributing to their woes out of CHC. It was a pretty attractive fare for the backpacker market segment.

cchan

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 18):
''AirAsia X set to cancel NZ operations''

I don't really have faith in this airline, IMO it is better they pull out.

ZKOJH

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 am

A good turn up but very silly!!

Customs staff in Auckland have intercepted 2kg of cocaine worth over $1.5 million, bound for Australia.

Two Australian nationals aged 27 year and 49, a Brazilian national resident in Australia aged 26 and a 23-year-old Brazilian have been arrested.
The cocaine was on its way from South America, passing through New Zealand on its way to Australia.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Auckland-cust.../423/articleID/245530/Default.aspx
Vietnam time..

777ER
Crew

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 am

Wellington is getting a 'plane spotters' cafe beside the RNZAF terminal - http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post.../Cafe-planned-near-airports-runway

TravellerPlus

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 pm

I notice that from April 1st, JQ will be making some significant adjustments to their NZ domestic schedule. They will be reducing the turn around time by 5 minutes at various times in the day. It means that their fleet will get an extra return flight each day. On some days they will be up to 3 times daily between AKL and ZQN and the AKL-DUD service will still operate daily, but some days it will be an evening service and other days it will be a morning one.

I'm personally annoyed as they've moved forward my usual Monday morning WLG-AKL and pushed back the time of my usual Friday AKL-WLG. Hmmm... more time in the office, what fun!

Also, I flew back from SYD on Sunday in a QF 737-800 with the Boeing new sky interior. It does offer an improvement, particularly with the mood lighting and the overhead bins. The windows seemed bigger, and thus the cabin seemed lighter, with the new window panel architecture.

The flight was packed so stowing all the cabin baggage is always be a challenge in such circumstances. Still, I find it so rude when a passenger sitting towards the back of the plane deliberately puts their hand luggage in a forward overhead locker before they continue back to their seat.
What goes around comes around....unless your luggage is not on the carousel...

777ER
Crew

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 23):
QF 737-800 with the Boeing new sky interior.

What rego does the aircraft have?

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 24):

There have been a number of newer VH-VZ* regos operating lately. VZS/VZR have both been used

TravellerPlus

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:28 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 24):

The rego was VH-VZT: Kalgoorlie. There is an article on its delivery flight from Seattle in this month's Australian Aviation. It was an Australian crew as opposed to Jetconnect.

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:17 am

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 23):
I notice that from April 1st, JQ will be making some significant adjustments to their NZ domestic schedule. They will be reducing the turn around time by 5 minutes at various times in the day. It means that their fleet will get an extra return flight each day.

In other words, they will have even less ability to recover from any abnormal operations than they currently do.   

777ER
Crew

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:05 am

Two questions, anyone able to tell me what aircraft operated NZ135 AKL-BNE (B77W) on Monday morning?

Any QF people able to tell me what aircraft is operating QF38 WLG-MEL tomorrow

cchan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 28):
Any QF people able to tell me what aircraft is operating QF38 WLG-MEL tomorrow

I checked this flight sometime ago when my parents went on it, the aircraft goes QF117 SYD-WLG then QF118 WLG-SYD then QF47 SYD-WLG then QF38 WLG-MEL. So it will be the same aircraft that will operate QF117 tonight. QF117 usually use the same aircraft as QF48, but not always. My bet is that it will be ZK-ZQE, according to flight24.com

eaglefarm4

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:23 am

05-Mar-12 09:40 ANZ C81E22 ZK-OKQ B77W ANZ135 Auckland Brisbane
tourismman

byronicle6

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:25 am

It was ZK-OKQ operating NZ135 on Monday 5th March
Travel is my thing

viasa

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Any news about ZK-OJK?

aerokiwi

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 27):
In other words, they will have even less ability to recover from any abnormal operations than they currently do.

True, but an 1h05 for AKL-WLG is just schedule padding, especially when the flight itself is all of 45 minutes (or, on WLG-AKL the other day, a ripper 39 minutes, care of the weather "bomb").

Speaking of the weather bomb, although I ended up having to be bussed to my final destination, making for a very long day, the takeoff from WLG into those southerlies was absolutely spectacular. I've never been on such a short takeoff run like that - fun stuff.

TravellerPlus

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 27):

Given my experience of flying them every week, and as the Kiwis are giving the JQ network its best on time performance, I'd say the move makes good business sense as there seems to be slack in the system. I don't need to explain how motivating out performing the Australians is to a team of Kiwis on this forum!

On my JQ flight home yesterday the crew were talking about the imminent arrival of a new uniform. The design is underwraps, but it will be released on June 1st. As the stewardess talking about it said with a wry smile, "Start of the financial year to please the bean counters no doubt..."

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 33):
Speaking of the weather bomb,

There was also some QF Jetconnect crew on yesterday's flight. One who recognises me got chatting when we were at the gate. He descibed a QF WLG-SYD flight that tried to land at SYD when their weather bomb hit. It sounded like an extreme ride. The radar went into a white out effect as the rain was so heavy, the hail and rain sounded like hammers punding the fuselage and turbulence so severe that wind sheer alerts were still going off at 3000ft. The flight diverted to Richmond, were the crew called it a day due to an overload of adrenelin and the passengers happily boarded a bus into Sydney.

Richmond can receive inbound international flights as if has full customs facilities. The seats in the lounge are comfortable arm charis rather than the ubiquitous benches found at most international airports.

A330NZ

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:16 am

A source from Canterbury Tourism has informed my father, who informed me, that D7's decision about the CHC flights will likely be made tonight

zkojq

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 am

Does anyone know the registration of the Pacific Blue 737 that was involved in the incident which has been in the news lately?

What customers will they loose from this?

Many New Zealand based customers would prefer to support New Zealand jobs, rather than ones in DXB, AUH, HKG, SIN, SYD etc.

Quoting viasa (Reply 32):
Any news about ZK-OJK?

According to flightdata24.com it flew from Sao Paulo to Orlando today.
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/pr-mbj/
From there I would expect its route home will be something like: MCO-LAX-HNL-APW-AKL. Should be back in New Zealand soon.  
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

alangirvan

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 am

From Air Asia's Facebook page the official announcement.

AirAsia X, the long-haul, low fare affiliate of AirAsia, today announced the suspension of its services to Christchurch, New Zealand as part of the realignment of its network.

The current four times weekly flights between Kuala Lumpur and Christchurch will be suspended with the last flight on 30 May, 2012 (from Kuala Lumpur) and 31 May, 2012 (from Christchurch).

AirAsia X will offer guests who hold bookings after these dates an option of a full refund, a reroute to another AirAsia X destination (e.g. Australia to Kuala Lumpur or Kuala Lumpur to North Asia), or a rebook of a return flight prior to 31 May, 2012 (subject to availability). All changes will be made at no additional cost to mitigate the inconvenience caused as a result of the withdrawal. All affected guests will receive an e-mail stating the available options. The options will also apply to any travel booked within Malaysia or to other Asian destinations on the AirAsia network in conjunction with the confirmed Christchurch-Kuala Lumpur booking.

Azran Osman-Rani, CEO of AirAsia X said “The decision to withdraw from Christchurch was a difficult one, but was made taking into account our strategic focus in consolidating our network on markets where we have built up stable, profitable routes.”

NZ1
Crew

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 36):
Any news about ZK-OJK?

OJK is not routing straight to AKL. It will be stopping off in SIN for a wee while first.

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net
www.twitter.com/airliners_net

NZ107

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 am

I wonder if the D7 pullout could attract JQ into SIN-CHC.. If D7 could attract 80% load factors on an A333, JQ could effectively fill up their A332. But then again I suppose JQ would need to get that London connection and cheaper add-on fares to the rest of Asia like D7 had to succeed with that.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

koruman

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 am

Quoting alangirvan (Reply 37):
AirAsia X, the long-haul, low fare affiliate of AirAsia, today announced the suspension of its services to Christchurch, New Zealand as part of the realignment of its network.

I hope that the powers-that-be at Air NZ have learned the lesson here: the only airline using a long-haul a la carte unbundled product in New Zealand has withdrawn after the experiment failed.

aerokiwi

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 40):
I hope that the powers-that-be at Air NZ have learned the lesson here: the only airline using a long-haul a la carte unbundled product in New Zealand has withdrawn after the experiment failed.

To be fair, they chose a risky market in CHC that was thwacked by an entirely unpredictable natural disaster. They should've gone for AKL in the first place.

MillwallSean

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 39):
I wonder if the D7 pullout could attract JQ into SIN-CHC.. If D7 could attract 80% load factors on an A333, JQ could effectively fill up their A332. But then again I suppose JQ would need to get that London connection and cheaper add-on fares to the rest of Asia like D7 had to succeed with that.

No they wont go to Christchurch. Not now, Christchurch as a destination for Asians isnt attractive enough after the quakes. JQ is struggling as it is with their AKL service.

Quoting koruman (Reply 40):

Ah Koruman don't mix NZ management ideas with this announcement. I agree with your sentiment but don't see this as evidence of it. Apple and Pears.

++++++++++++++++++++++

In regards to Air Asia X, I was told by a top source they were pulling the route when I went to PM Najibs open house and watched the Man City vs Man Utd derby. He had a teh tariq party for a few thousand wheelers and dealers in KL. I seem to recall I hinted this on here and mentioned that the numbers weren't good despite what newspaper articles and tourism authorities were saying. he said a few more things in regards to Air Asia X. Interesting info.
Look Uni Of Canterbury whats happened to their numbers from Air Asias Asean markets. Its not a pretty picture.
Air Asia never stood a chance after mother nature made her play.

I would say that Air Asia X might have survived without the quakes but it would have been dependent upon inbound traffic to NZ. CHC was a bold or peculiar choice from the beginning.

If Air Asia X would have gone to AKL (read been given the authority to) then I believe Air Asia X would still be here. Its a pity they didn't start because now were stuck with a jetstar that's struggling to make ends meet on their SIN-AKL. jetstar has higher costs than Air Asia X so I believe Air Asia X would have been a more sustainable player than Jetstar on AKL to SE Asia.
However some people seem to think hauling people on the kangaroo route is what makes such a route. Couldn't be further from the truth. Just as Royal Brunei bled red ink for every passenger taking them between Oceania and London so did Air Asia X. the Kangaroo route will never be profitable for airlines such as Air Asia X. Too long distances.

Many New Zealand based customers would prefer to support New Zealand jobs, rather than ones in DXB, AUH, HKG, SIN, SYD etc.

Yes just what I said. Many kiwis will still support NZ despite getting nothing in return. Great for them. Im not part of that group I prefer loyalty to work both ways.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

byronicle6

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 am

Disappointed to hear the AAX announcement on KUL-CHC, but it was very much expected. Hoping they will consider AKL, HLZ or WLG
Travel is my thing

PA515
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Any news about ZK-OJK?

According to flightdata24.com it flew from Sao Paulo to Orlando today.
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/pr-mbj/
From there I would expect its route home will be something like: MCO-LAX-HNL-APW-AKL. Should be back in New Zealand soon.

Unfortunately the data.flight.24 info for positioning flights is unreliable as it can assume the previous origin and destination of the flight number.

The last contact for PR-MBJ as TAM9394 had it at 39,000 ft heading 031 degrees near Belo Horizonte on track from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte, probably going on to Salvador, but not as far as Recife which has flightradar24 coverage.

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 38):
OJK is not routing straight to AKL. It will be stopping off in SIN for a wee while first.
GRU to SIN via West Africa or Angola seems logical, but no flight.24 coverage.

PA515

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:52:25]

ZKOJH

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 am

''Chch Airport confident it will replace AirAsia X''

Christchurch International Airport is confident another airline will fill the gap left by budget airline AirAsia X when it suspends its services in Christchurch from the end of May.

AirAsia X will stop flying between Kuala Lumpur and Christchurch at the end of May, just over a year after the service started.

Christchurch International Airport chief executive Jim Boult said he is "bitterly disappointed" that AirAsia will abandon Christchurch flights, saying it will be a big hit for the tourism industry.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/chch...onfident-replace-airasia-x-4773039
Vietnam time..

Mr AirNZ

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 am

Official internal announcement yesterday confirming what most already expected. New Atr 72-600s will be operated by Mount Cook alongside the existing fleet.

777ER
Crew

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 am

ZK-PBF (Poly Blue) is now painted in the Virgin Australia livery. What other PacBlue aircraft are in the new livery?

Thought my QF experience was very nice and thought the leg room was good considering the sectors the B738s operate. The meal was what could be expected on a Tasman sector and the ice cream at the end of the flight was a very nice touch (apart from it being rock hard thanks to the obvious ice it must have been stored on)

NZ107

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 46):

When is the first due again?
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ZKOJH

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 am

Think the 1st ATR 72-600 is due in November of this year, and be based up at AKL?
Vietnam time..