QR To BGW, Erbil, BEG, Kilmanjaro!, Yangon, Others

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

From Qatar Airways twitter:

1. Qatar to resume Yangon, Myanmar 3 weekly A319 from October
2. Baghdad: June 4 times weekly A320
3. Erbil: May 2012 4 times weekly A320
4. Kilmanjaro (I thought it was a mountain!): Daily A320 via Nairobi
5. Belgrade: 4 times A320 via Ankara

Bummer Belgrade wasnt direct to compete with FlyDubai! I think eventually it will be though. Kilmanjaro is a surprise though, and 2 cities in Iraq!

Glad to see QR reinstate Yangon, although a downgrade from the previous A300-600R operations.

More to come!

[Edited 2012-03-07 04:40:44]

[Edited 2012-03-07 04:42:31]
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

OA260

RE: QR To BGW, Erbil, BEG, Kilmanjaro!, Yangon, Others

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Great news for BEG will really be great for opening up a whole new route network and not having to back track to VIE FRA CDG etc..Wonder how this will affect TK.

JU068

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Great news for Belgrade, nice number of frequencies as well. I do wonder what impact flydubai will have on them since they will operate 5 weekly direct flights out of Belgrade this summer.

I hope we can book Belgrade-Ankara with them.

RWA380

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Thread starter):

I am glad to see a good alternative getting into JRO, KL has had the monopoly on this city for years. KL stayed because they made money at it. QR can attract North American and European passengers with a daily service, there are lots of mountain climbers that scale Kilimanjaro every year. Do they have 5th freedom rights between NBO & JRO?
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

smi0006

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Belgrade: 4 times A320 via Ankara

This will be very popular out of MEL along ZAG too!

Now when will this new airport of theirs open? The current one isn't too far off breaking point. Don't get me wrong it is exceptionally well organised for what it is and the staff do their best, but it is hampering their efforts!

Do QR have connection banks like EK?

Would love QR to extend QR030/QR031 through to AKL, ala EK406/407. Arrive early in the morning into MEL and then onto AKL then a few hours on the ground returning at night. Would be a much better arrival time into MEL then the current 22:30, not sure how it would connect with the EU and Africa flights out of DOH... Pipe dream!

leftyboarder

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Great news for BEG will really be great for opening up a whole new route network and not having to back track to VIE FRA CDG etc..Wonder how this will affect TK.

Since it is one stop it might not affect them much. Only for those places TK doesn't have nonstop flights from IST maybe, like Australia.

Although it makes sense for them to fly to Iraq being in the same region and all, I don't know if I would like the backtracking involved from Europe to Iraq via Qatar. Maybe less annoying if you are flying from the US.

frigatebird

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Kilmanjaro (I thought it was a mountain!):

It's an airport near Arusha. KL flies there as well with an A332, with a stop at DAR on the way back.

Talking about KL, I wonder when QR will add AMS? I've heard they want to, not surprising with the success EK has there. Guess getting the right slot times will be a complication.
146,318/19/20/21,AB6,332,343,345,388,722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9,742,74E,744,752,762,763,772,77E,773,77W,AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E90,F50/7

behramjee

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Adding EBL and BGW will definitely help lift the yields and loads of their European bound flights in particular CPH/ARN/LHR/FRA/MUC!

JU068

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 7):
Adding EBL and BGW will definitely help lift the yields and loads of their European bound flights in particular CPH/ARN/LHR/FRA/MUC!

Wouldn't it be still faster and cheaper to fly on TK from these destination to EBL and BGW?

leftyboarder

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 8):

Wouldn't it be still faster and cheaper to fly on TK from these destination to EBL and BGW?

Indeed. CPH to BGW, for example, is 1956nm via IST, 2005nm via VIE, 2167nm via AMM versus 3103nm via DOH.

TK787

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 7):
Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 5):
I don't know if I would like the backtracking involved from Europe to Iraq via Qatar.

With options like LH, OS, RJ, TK, Atlasjet even Pegasus, MEA, Iraqi..... who would want to do this longer option? Am I missing something?

leftyboarder

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 10):
With options like LH, OS, RJ, TK, Atlasjet even Pegasus, MEA, Iraqi..... who would want to do this longer option? Am I missing something?

I totally agree. It's like me taking the IST-FCO flight via RIX my flight search engine keeps trying to sell me   No way for me, unless it is half the price.

757ops

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 pm

JRO is a big market ex Europe for ET and KQ looks like this will start a price war!

Will QR compete with ET's 2PC free baggage allowance?

sq_ek_freak

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Holy hell that's a long A319 flight! How long is it? Didn't realize the aircraft had the legs to do this flight. What kind of traffic would they be attracting? Certainly not high yield I'm assuming, mostly backpacker traffic to Indochina? With the A319 they won't be able to carry much cargo, and their Business cabin must be tiny.

Quoting ju068 (Reply 8):

Yep and TK has the benefit of Star behind them.

How long is this flight? It surprises me that QR has stuck with the A320 on NBO - it's one of the major hubs of East Africa...maybe its for lack of aircraft?
Keep Discovering

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 15):
Yep and TK has the benefit of Star behind them.

And a large local market in IST
E pur si muove -Galileo

leftyboarder

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 15):
Holy hell that's a long A319 flight! How long is it?

According to GCM it is 2538nm. Well within the range of A319, and if they are flying this with the LR variant, it is even less of an issue. DOH and in fact most Gulf airports are not that far from places like Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh - in fact this flight is shorther than DOH-OSL.

UALWN

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 17):
According to GCM it is 2538nm.
Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 17):
in fact this flight is shorther than DOH-OSL.

And shorter than DOH-BCN (2627nm), which QR started operating with a 319LR before it was upgauged to a 330.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/380

ojas

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Qatar Airways has also announced MBA via DAR from August 15th
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

soups

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 pm

We still waiting forn DOH-ACC. EK just upgraded dxb-ACC to a A345
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

migair54

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm

It is, the airport is very close to the mountain, it also serves to the city or Moshi and Arusha.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 3):
Do they have 5th freedom rights between NBO & JRO?

I don´t think so, they already operate NBO-DAR with no rights. Also Swiss NBO-DAR-NBO and ET MBA-JRO-MBA. there´re 4 daily NBO-JRO-NBO flight by Precision air ATR-72 codesharing with KQ.

Quoting 757ops (Reply 12):
JRO is a big market ex Europe for ET and KQ looks like this will start a price war!

It is indeed, lot of people going to the mountain but also to Arusha, starting point of many safari circuits.

Actually QR operates 2 daily DAR flight one via NBO, so I guess that one one will be DOH-NBO-JRO, and I think QR already announce that the secon daily to DAR will be direct.

Quoting ojas (Reply 17):
Qatar Airways has also announced MBA via DAR from August 15th

It could be a nice option, but I think the idea was to codeshare with Precision Air on the DAR-MBA route, that´s why PW now operates direct to MBA and not via ZNZ. We will see what happens.

behramjee

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 9):
Indeed. CPH to BGW, for example, is 1956nm via IST, 2005nm via VIE, 2167nm via AMM versus 3103nm via DOH.
Quoting ju068 (Reply 8):
Quoting TK787 (Reply 10):

I think the three of you need to see why 1000s of pax fly from Europe via DXB/AUH/DOH to JNB/CPT/NBO/ADD/DAR in spite of it being a much longer routing than either nonstop or via another EU hub airport. In addition, EK carries a huge chunk of pax from LAX/SFO/IAH via DXB to East/West/South Africa as well which is another example of massive back tracking. Bottom line is that it does not matter what the distance is but rather what your fare + connection time + frequency level per week is.

pnd100

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 20):
I think the three of you need to see why 1000s of pax fly from Europe via DXB/AUH/DOH to JNB/CPT/NBO/ADD/DAR in spite of it being a much longer routing than either nonstop or via another EU hub airport. In addition, EK carries a huge chunk of pax from LAX/SFO/IAH via DXB to East/West/South Africa as well which is another example of massive back tracking. Bottom line is that it does not matter what the distance is but rather what your fare + connection time + frequency level per week is.

Agreed. EK's fare structure & connectivity attracts many flyers. I suspect that a large number of them are VFR and/or infrequent & so the routing is a small concern for them

HELyes

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:33 am

http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ressrelease_pressrelease_20120307b

"HELSINKI, Finland DATE TBC"

Hopefully that route becomes reality...

JU068

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:36 am

Quoting behramjee (Reply 20):

Yes but Europe-Africa is a different market from Europe-Iraq (or the Middle East as a whole) so I do not think we can compare the two. Turkish Airlines will be adding a huge number of frequencies to its existing European netowrk which should facilitate connections even more from Istanbul to Asia. The airline has already a solid network out of Istanbul to Iraq, which means that when these additional flights are launched it will become even more convenient for those heading to Iraq.
That is why it will be difficult for Qatar to compete with Turkish Airlines on the Iraqi market, since TK can offer flexibility which is important this day in age.

What Qatar can do is aim at the market from Iraq to Asia and Africa.

Qatara340

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 am

There is a HUGE Iraqi population in the Arabian Gulf, especially in the UAE. The Market that QR is aiming for is not only Transfer; its also O and D (from/to Arabian Gulf).

Still, no Los Angeles or San Fransisco, or Chicago!

behramjee

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 23):
Yes but Europe-Africa is a different market from Europe-Iraq (or the Middle East as a whole) so I do not think we can compare the two. Turkish Airlines will be adding a huge number of frequencies to its existing European netowrk which should facilitate connections even more from Istanbul to Asia. The airline has already a solid network out of Istanbul to Iraq, which means that when these additional flights are launched it will become even more convenient for those heading to Iraq.
That is why it will be difficult for Qatar to compete with Turkish Airlines on the Iraqi market, since TK can offer flexibility which is important this day in age.

Still there is enough room for QR to grab a slice of the pie. Also there are pax who will not want to fly TK and instead opt for a widebody A330 on the EU-DOH sector on QR. With regards to your Europe-Africa being different from Europe-Middle East, again please see how much of a market share EK has to RUH/JED out of Europe and North America via Dubai inspite of the back tracking!

Yes QR's primary goal in EBL/BGW is to capture the higher yielding traffic originating from GCC and BOM/DEL bound to BGW/EBL. Mind you BOM/DEL to Iraq is high volume at very good yields. This is due to medical, student and religious traffic.

RWA380

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 am

Quoting 757ops (Reply 12):

KQ & KL operate a sweet codesharing partnership via NBO, when direct JRO isn't available. I sold tons of consolidator tickets to JRO in the late 90's early 00's and almost all of them were KL with some KQ in there. We almost never uset ET as the US connections were only from IAD, and our customer base was all over the USA. I expect QR to make JRO fares a bit more honest. I think KL is convieninet for USA connections, both ways, hope QR makes that a priority with US & Europeean destinations.

Will QR compete with ET's 2PC free baggage allowance?
Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 13):
How long is this flight? It surprises me that QR has stuck with the A320 on NBO - it's one of the major hubs of East Africa...maybe its for lack of aircraft?

I am also surprised, and I'd expect you are correct this sounds much more like an A332 route, but maybe it will build to that in a few years, I expect this route to be a winner for QR, they need to market themselves here and in Europe as a good alternative to KL into JRO.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

SurfandSnow

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 am

Apparently this route was doing very well before, but the powers that be (most likely the U.S. and/or U.K.) pressured Qatar/QR to put a stop to the route as a means to economically squeeze the junta. I believe QR officially said they quit it (one of very few routes they've dropped) for "commercial reasons". Interesting to see it come back right after Myanmar has made notable democratic progress...

2. Baghdad: June 4 times weekly A320
3. Erbil: May 2012 4 times weekly A320

I was wondering if they were ever going to start Iraq! They've been sitting on the rights for quite some time now, giving their competitors a great opportunity to establish themselves in the market.

Interesting. I would have expected to see many other African markets come online before this one, but I guess most of them would necessitate the range of a larger aircraft. May I say that I'm very surprised that none of the Gulf carriers have started TNR - together they serve most of the Indian island and East African markets closest to Madagascar.

5. Belgrade: 4 times A320 via Ankara

I bet we will see BEG get dedicated nonstop service soon enough. It seems like Southeastern Europe has been doing very well for QR, since they keep expanding there!

More to come!

They have so much coming already! But, when you are backed by a petrodollar state (benefiting from rising oil prices) eagerly using you as a loss leader to expand global ties, I guess you can afford to expand like this! Any ideas where they could possibly be going next? WAW? PRG? HRE? ORD? SYD? AMS?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Qatara340

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 27):
Interesting to see it come back right after Myanmar has made notable democratic progress...

Interesting point; but it could also mean something else0. lol i mean after the notable democratic progress, we could see Myanmar increase its precence and commercial ties around the world, and warrants for a reinstatement of flights.

WAW? PRG? HRE? ORD? SYD? AMS?

I AM HOPE ALL OF THE ABOVE.

migair54

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

WAW? PRG? HRE? ORD? SYD? AMS?

Harare is a big possibility given that Air Zimbabwe is close and they are no longer blocking other carriers, EK already start the route DXB-LUN-HRA-DXB, But I don´t know if QR has right now planes to do it. And, If they get a new B787 or A330, will they use for LUN-HRE or for a more lucrative market??

N1120A

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 24):
Arabian Gulf

The what?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JU068

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
The what?

I guess Persian Gulf.

ojas

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Here are the schedules

1) Erbil

Effective 23 May

QR 446 DOH - EBL 0915 1150 Tu, We 2hrs 35mins
QR 447 EBL - DOH 1250 1510 Tu, We 2hrs 35mins

QR 444 DOH - EBL 1320 1555 Fr, Su 2hrs 35mins
QR 445 EBL - DOH 1655 1915 Fr, Su 2hrs 35mins

Aircraft: A320

2) Baghdad

Effective 7 June

QR 440 DOH - BGW 0905 1120 Sa, Su 2hrs 15mins
QR 441 BGW - DOH 1220 1420 Sa, Su 2hrs

QR 442 DOH - BGW 1340 1555 Mo, Th 2hrs 15mins
QR 443 BGW - DOH 1655 1855 Mo, Th 2hrs

Aircraft: A320

Tupolev160

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Any official news on QR to KBP and LED?
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

boeing773W

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 am

Does anyone know if the DOH-OTP-SOF route is doing alright?

kotoka

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Quoting soups (Reply 18):
We still waiting forn DOH-ACC. EK just upgraded dxb-ACC to a A345

Effective August 1st, EK replaces the 345 with 773 to ACC daily. I'm surprised QR hasn't yet announced ACC.

ojas

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:33 am

Schedules to Kilimanjaro and Mombasa have been announced. QR will have 5th rights between NBO and JRO and also between MBA and DAR.