9MMAR
Topic Author

Malaysia Airlines' New(er) Corporate Livery

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Barely 16 months after introducing this livery to the world Malaysia Airlines' New Livery B738 (by 9MMAR Oct 13 2010 in Civil Aviation)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rick Schlamp
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bastian Ding

MH will unveil its newer corporate livery soon.

At the moment, only a narrative of the new livery has been leaked.

"The new livery comprises of upsized, bold malaysiairlines in navy blue near door L1, with the wau bulan in complete navy blue at tail. The cheatlines are gone, replaced with two strokes of wavy-like ala CX's white paint-brush stroke, but inverted. MH's two strokes of waves covers the back of plane like a ribbon wrapping around it."

Details of the new livery are as follows:

- The official unveiling date was informed to be on 18 March 2012. MH is expected to make a huge announcement on that date especially with regards to its new corporate structure.

- The new livery is to mark the split of the current MH into 2 separate entities - the longhaul entity which will be known as Malaysia Airlines and a new shorthaul entity operating a fleet of B738 previously known as "Sapphire" then renamed to "MAS" then renamed to "yet to be named".

- Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named short haul entity of MH will have the same newer livery, but in red colour.

- The split of the current MH is caused by the share swap between MH and AK which saw AK's Tony Fernandes sits on MH's Board of Directors and the latest turnaround plan which peaked earlier this week when MH announced a full year 2011 loss of MYR 2.5 billion or USD 780 million, the biggest ever in MH's corporate history. Malaysia Airlines MH $780M Loss (by jetfuel Mar 2 2012 in Civil Aviation)

- MH's A380s

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dn280

3 of which have been built are expected to wear the newer livery too.

Hopefully some form of graphics will surface soon.

9MMAR
Topic Author

RE: Malaysia Airlines' New(er) Corporate Livery

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

First graphic has surfaced but unfortunately lack in details.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9405/42583572.jpg

Quoting 9MMAR (Thread starter):
The official unveiling date was informed to be on 18 March 2012. MH is expected to make a huge announcement on that date especially with regards to its new corporate structure.

There might be some mistakes with regard to the date as 18 March 2012 will be on Sunday. The soft launch of Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named short haul entity will be made in April 2012. http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsbusiness.php?id=650048

N14AZ

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

MH #4 has already been spotted with the new livery on the tail fin
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/aircrafts/6955857515/

CX Flyboy

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 2):
MH #4 has already been spotted with the new livery on the tail fin
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/aircraf...7515/

That logo looks very high and quite misplaced. Just doesn't look right.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Another one with the title at the body.

http://xfw-spotter.blogspot.com/2011...1-malaysia-airlines-f-wwsu-9m.html

Credit to the photographer.

This one is still incomplete, missing the big "inverted CX-like brush stroke that looks like a ribbon wrapping" between the font at the body and the tail.

[Edited 2012-03-07 16:05:00]

TruemanQLD

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 am

I don't mind that, from the little I can see, looks much better than current livery, that is for sure!

airpearl

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:42 am

I'm really not so keen on this, especially when it is supposed to be an improvement over the bungled first attempt. This is a picture from the airline's facebook page:

And here's a youtube clip that accompanies it. The logo location on the tail is strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xypzPcv2OAA#!

9MMPD

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:22 am

The wau Bulan is way to high on the tail and the end is cut off.

The titles are a big improvement over the current type face.

Can't wait to see the finished thing cause at the moment this livery looks a little too Finnair lol

I guess wih the A380s coming in July and newly deilvered 737s carrying the red version I guess we can see 4 versions of the livery at KLIA. (old, new, newer blue. newer red)

I wonder how long the newer livery was in the works. I guess we now know whay none of the exisiting aircraft in the fleet were repainted into what was the new livery.

Will there also be new uniforms?

[Edited 2012-03-07 21:27:16]

9MMPQ

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 am

I'll certainly miss the red & blue wau, now that stood out. Compared to it this new wau looks a bit bland to be honest. At least it somehow doesn't strike me as ugly immediately. I will be interested to see the complete paint job with the ribbon like strokes.

The fact that none of the existing aircraft have been painted this way was more due to the back & forth going on within MH. Remember the first A380's were spotted with the red & blue wau already. I guess the new A333s will also have to be repainted now 

Here's to another livery to spot when walking around KLIA.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

NZ107

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 am

It doesn't look the same without the red! I wonder how much these continual changes in the livery is costing an already broke airline. I liked the one they were already applying to the A333s and 738s.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ImperialAero

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am

ICURFC - Who Is Sylvia?

IndianicWorld

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 am

Looks messy, especially the colours on the engines.

The typeface looks good though.

bthebest

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am

I like it, and can't wait to see it in London. I think it will look better 'in the flesh'

EK413

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 am

Umm, they got to be kidding...

The revised scheme is far better minus the titles...

There is no color in the NEWER scheme which has been unveiled on the A380...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Owleye

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Promising design, though I have to see it alive. Finally Malaysian is trashing the dull blue-red colour combination.

KFlyer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 pm

IMHO, much much better. Looks modern and premium.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

shankly

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrei.SL

And there was me thinking in January as 9M-MLJ pulled on to the ramp at Langkawi for our flight back to KL "the A380's are going to look really good in this new scheme"

Type face is not bad, but the red is such a significant part of the Malaysian flag and MAS heritage that I can't believe it has been dropped
L1011 - P F M

TreeHillRavens

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting 9MMPD (Reply 7):

Supposedly both the ladies and guys will get a new uniform and was initially planned to be unveiled sometime in the 2H of last year. However, the share swap took place and due to finances issue, the plan was postponed.

Anyway, the latest news is that only the guys will get a new uniform while the ladies will continue to wear the current uniform

redrooster3

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Heres the official video...It looks very dull and plain to me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlhij2rbu4M
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:10 pm

- The new livery is to mark the split of the current MH into 2 separate entities - the longhaul entity which will be known as Malaysia Airlines and a new shorthaul entity operating a fleet of B738 previously known as "Sapphire" then renamed to "MAS" then renamed to "yet to be named".

Sounds like a disaster, and/or any US carrier in the 90s.
E pur si muove -Galileo

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:21 pm

I like the new font but the overall livery needs some colour. Something dull like this is not very reflective of a bright, vibrant country like Malaysia.

MH017

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm

The colour of the 'ribbon' reminds me of Oman, if it's, indeed, light-blue...
don't throw away tomorrow !

Plane Holland

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Did they hire the AR designer?

A388

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting airpearl (Reply 6):
And here's a youtube clip that accompanies it. The logo location on the tail is strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OAA#!
Quoting shankly (Reply 16):
Type face is not bad, but the red is such a significant part of the Malaysian flag and MAS heritage that I can't believe it has been dropped

I also need to get used to a MH livery without the red. I really liked the blue/red combination and was also looking forward to the A380 wearing their new livery but now it will get this newer livery, very sad  

The titles of this new livery also remind me a lot of SQ's titles!!!

Eventually I will get used to this new livery but it would have been much better if the red was retained as well.

A388

cargolex

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 pm

This new look seems awfully familiar in an extremely ironic way.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nishant Deshpande

Not a copy of El Al, but the same color scheme, similar looking titles, long blue ribbons...

Both El Al's existing look and Malaysia's new look are way too generic for my tastes.

[Edited 2012-03-08 10:02:03]

laca773

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:47 pm

For me, it looks naked. I feel the "blue and red swish, or ribbon like strokes need to be incorporated some how..

A388

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Quoting MH017 (Reply 21):
The colour of the 'ribbon' reminds me of Oman, if it's, indeed, light-blue...

I was thinking of that too. Let's hope MH will re-introduce the red to this livery. It will make this newer livery much more unique and recognisable in my opinion.

A388

PezySPU

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 19):

Sounds like a disaster, and/or any US carrier in the 90s.

Not really. They already have a few short-haul ventures under different brands, three I think. So, their plan is to incorporate all of them under a single one. Although I don't see why they need to divide the company so badly, but fine...

Regarding the livery itself, I quite like it, except for the engines maybe. It fits to the A380, but I wonder if it will fit to smaller aircraft...

changyou

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 23):
The titles of this new livery also remind me a lot of SQ's titles

you are right...especially the word "airlines"...so is this the same blue as SQ's as well? Both white fuselage with blue titles.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 27):
Not really. They already have a few short-haul ventures under different brands, three I think. So, their plan is to incorporate all of them under a single one. Although I don't see why they need to divide the company so badly, but fine.

No, you are totally missing the point.

The key issue of the share swap between MH and AK and their proceeding Comprehensive Collaborative Framework (CCF) is to incorporate more of AK's LCC elements into MH's management style especially in terms of manpower (non unionised pilots, first officers, cabin crews et. al.) and cost control. Already internal talks have taken place to transfer 80% of MH's current total manpower (reportedly to be 21,000 headcount) into the management of Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named short haul airline, which will be operating under a clean slate of paper copying some of AK's successful management styles. This split (of the current MH into 2 entities) is what this share swap and CCF are mostly all about. Almost all key personnel under the previous MH management have resigned or asked to resign (including former CEO of FY, former CEO of MAS Kargo, Head of Finance, Head of Corporate Communication et. al.) and a throng of imports (lots of Caucasians) all of whom directly or indirectly associated with AK's Tony Fernandes (particularly the new Head of Route Management and Head of Finance whom was previously the CFO of AirAsia X) have been parachuted into the airline.

It is not that complex really. The current MH will become a split operating entity of long haul destinations matching its long haul aircraft and short haul destinations matching its short haul aircraft, like TG was like in the past:

1. MH - operating only long haul routes with the current MH's 9 B744s (which will be phased out completely once all 6 A380s have arrived), 17 B772s, 3 A332s, 16 A333s and the upcoming 6 A380s and the balance of 15 A333s on order.

2. Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline - a new entity of MH that will operate all of its 37 B734s and 10 B738s (plus another 25 B738s which have yet to be delivered). This airline will have lean management with non unionised pilots, first officers, cabin crews et. al. just like AK and it is expected that a lot of staff will be made redundant after the manpower transfer hence, it is much easier to lay them off if they were a staff of Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline. It is rumoured that Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline will wear the same newer livery as unveiled in this thread but theirs will be red in colour. That is the symbolic of the split of the current blue and red livery of MH.

There is no secret that QF and MH are in talk to form RedQ or whatever name it has evolved since then, another premium short haul airline pretty much like Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline but whether RedQ will be another separate entity or QF will acquire stakes in Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named sort haul airline (hence RedQ is Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline) is remain to be seen.

MH is also in talks to dispose off MAS Kargo. While we are at it, it is also rumoured that MH has decided not to take the 4th and final A332F which MAS Kargo ordered and that aircraft was take by Etihad Airways instead. This could relate to the sacking of the former CEO of MAS Kargo (for failure to match requirement against demand and ordering a wrong type of aircraft which contributed a large chunk to the biggest ever loss made by MH in its corporate history in its Financial Year 2011 [MH made a provision of impairment of its very new 3 A332Fs totalling MYR 314 million or USD 104 million following Airbus P2F program for the A330 aircraft].

It is true that MH also have subsidiaries that operate under a different brand that is Firefly (FY) [community airline operating a fleet of 12 ATR 72-500 hubbing at SZB] and MASwings (MH3XXX) [operating rural air service in the jungle of Borneo with a fleet of 10 ATR 72-500 and 4 Twin Otter] but both these propeller airlines are minuscule and almost irrelevant in the general picture, as far as MH and AK are concern. FY was quite significant before but that is before its B738s operation hubbing at KUL was slaughtered to make way for the share swap and the CCF between MH and AK.

A388

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 29):
No, you are totally missing the point.

Thank you for your detailed explanation 9MMAR. Seeing that the new domestic division of MH will get a AK touch incorporated (such as non unionised staff etc), I can imagine the pilots and cabin crew protesting or maybe even going on strike if their salaries/contract will become "low cost" as well so to speak. Is this going to happen or have the cabin crew and pilots accepted the new terms of the newly formed local division of MH?

In any case I still hope MH will add the red to their blue livery, it just isn't right now in my opinion.

A388

PezySPU

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 pm

That's good to know, thanks! I totally forgot about MH - AK share swap.

But I still wonder, will MH's problem of overstaffing be solved thanks to the split? You point out non-unionized flight and cabin crew, but what about management?

[Edited 2012-03-08 12:24:48]

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 30):
I can imagine the pilots and cabin crew protesting or maybe even going on strike if their salaries/contract will become "low cost" as well so to speak. Is this going to happen or have the cabin crew and pilots accepted the new terms of the newly formed local division of MH?

Spot on! While the protest may not be as aggressive as BA's cabin crew for instance (MH staff launched this "No" badge campaign to the CCF) the fact that these share swap and CCF are masterminded by the Government of Malaysia, there is nothing much that the staff can do other than to accept the new terms under their new employment contract with Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named short haul airline. Was told that several junior First Officers leaked that their salaries and allowances will be so much lower than what it is currently so the same can be concluded to the cabin crew as well. Pilots and First Officers with MH are prestigious career in Malaysia that only a selected few can get. MH sponsored their expensive flight training hence they are obligated by default to serve the airline for 10 years (I could be wrong here) or pay some penalty if they want to quit for whatever reason.

MH's new cabin crew recruit has adopted a short term contract approach instead of permanent employment to their job offer, of which MH can simply not renewing their contract should their service is not needed.

Easy pleasy!

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Quoting PezySPU (Reply 31):
But I still wonder, will MH's problem of overstaffing be solved thanks to the split? You point out non-unionized flight and cabin crew, but what about management?

I think I have mentioned it before.

it is expected that a lot of staff will be made redundant after the manpower transfer hence, it is much easier to lay them off if they were a staff of Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline.

I think what they are planning to do is to get everybody they have earmarked to sign up the new employment contract with Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline. After a few months of operation as a separate entity from MH, with Tony Fernandes' linked bosses and all, there will be a lot of redundancies that will be reported (which is quite a no brainer considering how bloated MH's current workforce is at the moment) and a lot of lay off will occur.

But it can only be done after Malaysia's 13th General Election which should be called anytime from now. And of course, the new employment contract with Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline will favour the management with regards to laying off staff, redundancies and compensation.

qf002

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 pm

A red line in those ribbons, and a small red highlight in the logo on the tail would have made all the difference to this livery IMO.

Seems nice enough, I guess.

9MMPQ

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 pm

To add to what 9MMAR has said.

Quoting changyou (Reply 28):
Almost all key personnel under the previous MH management have resigned or asked to resign

With several of them taking up jobs with companies linked directly or indirectly to Khazanah Nasional, the biggest share holder behind MH. An easy way to get in other people while those leaving will hardly make a fuss.

It is expected that a lot of staff will be made redundant after the manpower transfer

I somehow have a feeling this will not be as easy as we read it here. Apart from obvious resistant feelings among staff involved i wonder how this is played out legally ? Can it really be that easy ?

MH is also in talks to dispose off MAS Kargo.

Maintenance & Engineering has also been looked at along with the flight training facilities. It seems ways are being sought to raise the balance sheet. While raising more cash will benefit the company short term the benefits long term remain to be seen.

This could relate to the sacking of the former CEO of MAS Kargo

Interesting, i heard the man tendered his resignation after corruption charges where being raised against him. I'm hearing stories this might also be related to the case against MH’s former chairman, Tan Sri Tajuddin Ramli in which he filed a report against him with the Malaysian anti corruption commission. A case apparently in which a number of witnesses have all experienced some form of pressure to back down. Interestingly enough i've heard little since about the pursuit of the case against the MAS Kargo CEO.

MH made a provision of impairment of its very new 3 A332Fs totalling MYR 314 million or USD 104 million following Airbus P2F program for the A330 aircraft

This one seems more to be case of working the financial ledgers & getting any possible loss out of the way when the hurt is already big. To write of the amount so quickly after Airbus announcing the P2F conversion has raised several eyebrows. Along with the freighters also further write offs on spare parts pools & the charges associated with returning leased aircraft earlier were added. Best to get it all out of the way & improve some chance of a better year in 2012.

I've already hijacked the topic too much but it's difficult to see the ongoings within MH when one cares about them & then not respond, especially with several good people on here with equally good input on the subject.

Back on topic...

While i'm sad to see the old red & blue wau being left off the A380 i somehow have a feeling it could come to grow on me. I'll be waiting to see the full finished livery once it gets to KUL. Seeing a new livery for real can always have different effects. Here's to hoping MH will do well with the A380.

[Edited 2012-03-08 15:09:53]

[Edited 2012-03-08 15:10:35]
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

smi0006

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 am

I personally love it I think it looks great, much better then either the current or old livery. Very reminicent of the hibiscus special liverys that we saw not too long ago. Hopefully MH will now upgrade their long hauil interriors inline with their offering on the A380. I look forward to seeing some cabin photos!

Quoting KFlyer (Reply 15):
IMHO, much much better. Looks modern and premium.

I agree the red and blue looked cheap, this is stylish, understated and simple. All qualities I would associate with a premium airline.

Quoting 9MMPD (Reply 7):

The new uniforms were accidently revealed in an August addition of going places. They look nice to me. The current mens and female uniform need and update; colour, style and fit wise.

Both look much better now! Hopefully this time around with new uniforms and livery they do a full rebrand not a refresh and change the direction of MH for the better!!

MH017

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 am

Really like the new MH cabincrew uniforms, as revealed in the Going Places magazine !!!

(esp. the men's is a lot better)...
don't throw away tomorrow !

TreeHillRavens

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 36):
The new uniforms were accidently revealed in an August addition of going places. They look nice to me. The current mens and female uniform need and update; colour, style and fit wise.

Do note that the ladies will not change to the uniform  

EK413

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 am

It's missing one thing... COLOR!!! Bring back Red!!!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

something

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Saw it yesterday and I was actually quite amazed how fantastic it looked. I have zero visual-imagination, so I have no idea if it'd look better with the red and blue lines as on the 737 and A330, or the blue ones as in the illustrations, or even the old 747 one. But I can say that this current paintjob does look modern, fresh and inviting. It just has a very clean and professional look about it.

http://www10.pic-upload.de/09.03.12/6dlusczfnaur.jpg
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 pm

I kind of actualy like it which is a rarity for me and new liveries, I think it would have been a winner if they added RED somewhere near the front.

mandala499

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Just caught stuff on this from some aviation journalists' twitter...
They have not decided if they're going to apply the new A380 scheme fleetwide, or whether it's going to remain as an A380 special... *bangs head on table*

There is no secret that QF and MH are in talk to form RedQ or whatever name it has evolved since then, another premium short haul airline pretty much like Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline but whether RedQ will be another separate entity or QF will acquire stakes in Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named sort haul airline (hence RedQ is Sapphire/MAS/yet to be named airline) is remain to be seen.

And as of today, both QF and MH announced the talks have ended, with QF not going into the MAS/Sapphire whatever it's going to be...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !