SANFan
Topic Author

Eight More DCA Beyond-Perimeter Slots - Pt 3

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Since we've reached 200 posts on the previous thread, and we should be starting to see a bunch of new activity in this case shortly, I figured this might be a good time to start a new thread. Here's the link to the previous one:

Eight More DCA Beyond-Perimeter Slots - Pt 2 (by SANFan Feb 27 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Here's a quick recap (disclaimer: MY version) of what's happened so far:
UA has selected DCA-SFO service, to start 5/14/12; DL picked DCA-SLC, beginning 6/07/12; and AA chose DCA-LAX to begin 6/14/12. US has not announced any decision yet. These make up the 4 unlimited-incumbent carrier exemptions for new Beyond-Perimeter routes which may be changed to other destinations at will by these 4 cx.

The 4 limited-incumbent/new carrier awards (aka "8 slots") will be chosen by the DOT, with applications for these 4 additional routes due into the DOT no later than Monday, March 12. Comments and arguments regarding these applications are then due no later than March 27. The DOT will then (quickly) make a decision on who gets what routes.

All actions in this case, to the DOT, and by the DOT, will be available in Docket 29. Here's the link to it:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...SR;rpp=25;po=0;D=DOT-OST-2012-0029

It should be getting really interesting very soon -- perhaps today and no later than Monday -- as we see AS, B6, VX, WN and possibly AC, F9, G4, NK, and WS, strategize, jockey for position, and rumble for those 4 very sought-after authorities for new DCA -service.

bb

(mod's, please feel free to lock the previous thread)

[Edited 2012-03-09 08:37:43]

[Edited 2012-03-09 08:39:51]

ADent

RE: Eight More DCA Beyond-Perimeter Slots - Pt 3

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Don't forget the side discussion on the Air21 slots DL used on DCA-JAN - not really related to the Docket 29 out of perimeter slots. This topic is also covered in WN Applies For OKC-DCA (by usflyguy Mar 6 2012 in Civil Aviation) .

With DL cutting back in DCA it dropped this route.

US flies it now on temporary authority and has applied for the slots permanently. F9 has applied for SDF-DCA and WN for DCA-OKC-DAL. These are IN perimeter slots.

Docket: http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...ostedDate;po=0;D=DOT-OST-2000-7182 (Sort by date to see the newest filings )

md3

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Well, today's the big day for the proposals, though we might not see any posted filings until tomorrow.

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Quoting md3 (Reply 2):
Well, today's the big day for the proposals, though we might not see any posted filings until tomorrow.

Ah, you beat me to it md3.

You're right. The Docket may very well not reflect anything until tomorrow but we should start seeing press releases from individual cx or filing reports via other services, or whatever, but I have a feeling we will somehow see (or hear) some specifics later this afternoon. I plan on monitoring this as much as possible today... (I do hope we can keep track of things in this thread so we don't end up with a bunch of different ones about each carrier's filings.)

bb

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes, I'd prefer to see everything in this thread, it makes it much easier and fun for discussions.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

SouthernDC9

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm

So what are people's guesses for the bids/proposals? It's like March Madness, a.net style...

I say AS puts a bird on it to Portland; Virgin A to SFO (which is like a freebie at this point); Jet Blue, I'm going with SAN; F9 to COS, just for a laugh; WN to AUS, just because in their hearts they're so Texas-y; NK to SJU. And Sun Country to Pierre, SD with continuing service to MSP. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 5):
Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well at least that puts you in the same catagory with a lot of us here!  

bb

GentFromAlaska

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 pm

WN to AUS, just because in their hearts they're so Texas-y
Although I understand the luv for AUS, IMO SAT-DCA would be a better choice. It connects three larger military bases with the Pentagon.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

texan

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 pm

According to AS's website, they are applying for DCA-PDX and DCA-SAN. You can sign a petition there supporting AS's effort to get these slot exemptions.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
According to AS's website, they are applying for DCA-PDX and DCA-SAN. You can sign a petition there supporting AS's effort to get these slot exemptions.

I am on it for PDX, so how can they apply for two exemptions, when I thought 4 slots left would be given to 4 carriers. When is US going to announce their given slot? Where is it on AS's website, I don't see it?

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:17:36]

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 8):

Link please, Tex'. I can't find that.

How many times do you suppose they'll let me sign that petition????

It's officially afternoon in WAS now so I guess things are starting to dribble in!

bb

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 pm

I say AS puts a bird on it to Portland; Virgin A to SFO (which is like a freebie at this point); Jet Blue, I'm going with SAN; F9 to COS, just for a laugh; WN to AUS, just because in their hearts they're so Texas-y; NK to SJU. And Sun Country to Pierre, SD with continuing service to MSP. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm sure we'll see multiple destinations bid by many of the cx.

AS has come through just as expected. (YES!) Who's next?

bb

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 10):
How many times do you suppose they'll let me sign that petition????

Guess we'll be busy today signing the petition, when we can both find it, huh Bob?

CGKings317

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Link here http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...CID=Brand_Vanity_||2012FLYDCA_AW||

Things should get interesting about now..

~CGKings317  

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:27:16]
I love ✈ & volcanoes but the 2 of them dont get along, just ask KLM867 & PH-BFC

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 12):
Guess we'll be busy today signing the petition, when we can both find it, huh Bob?

Absolutely, B! They sure have hidden it well...

I'm sure VX will apply for SFO (like everyone else on the planet thinks) but will they also bid for LAX, just in case? (I would like to think that they might even put in for SAN but I know better than that!)

bb

point2point

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting CGKings317 (Reply 13):
Link here http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...CID=Brand_Vanity_||2012FLYDCA_AW||

Things should get interesting about now..

So I would guess that this means that we officially have AS as going for both PDX and SAN?

and my edit added here.... I think that VX, following its form, will apply to both SFO and LAX.

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:32:19]

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Link here http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea..._AW||

That's it! Thanx CG'! (I'll be cutting and pasting a lot this week!)

I'm good with calling it for Alaska! SAN and PDX -- nicely done TAAG and good luck! I'm very confident you'll get one of your choices.

bb

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:42:10]

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 16):
I'm very confident you'll get one of your choices

If it comes down to only getting one of AS's choices, who decides, AS or the government? Honestly either way, good choices by AS, I'm not surprised SJC is missing.

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 17):
If it comes down to only getting one of AS's choices, who decides, AS or the government? Honestly either way, good choices by AS, I'm not surprised SJC is missing.

The DOT decides which 4 cx get which new route. AS will make its best case in their bids and arguments about the other cx' bids but that's all they can do at this point.

As I've said previously, I too would have been surprised to see a bid for SJC from AS. And I can't really see anyone else applying for that route either. SFO is definitely where the WAS traffic is.

bb

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 14):
Absolutely, B! They sure have hidden it well...

I've signed both applications, sent the web link to everyone in my address book with important mail delivery, anything else I can do but re-sign for the next few weeks?

point2point

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 16):
I'll be cutting and pasting a lot this week!

Just for you SANFan, I signed the DCA-SAN petition......

md3

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Very nice supporting website by AS. I expect the individual letters of support by the public will end up enshrined in the docket folder also.

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 19):
I've signed both applications, sent the web link to everyone in my address book with important mail delivery, anything else I can do but re-sign for the next few weeks?
Quoting point2point (Reply 20):
Just for you SANFan, I signed the DCA-SAN petition......

Great job fellas. I'm sure AS appreciates it (and so do I!)

I've been monitoring the other cx websites and nothing's shown up yet but that doesn't surprise me. (AS's announcement didn't show up where I was looking either.) This isn't really news -- yet -- so until it shows up on the Docket, we're kind of flying blind here and hoping that someone stumbles on something or hears news somehow.

It's now after 2pm in DC. I'm not sure if there's a, say, 5pm deadline for app's, or midnight?

I wonder what would happen of only 3 airlines bid? Would someone get 2 new routes? (Not that I think that's really going to happen.)

bb

lhpdx

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm

I do hope both cities wins!

texan

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Link please, Tex'. I can't find that.
Link here http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea..._AW||

Sorry I couldn't respond fast enough--posted as I was heading out the door for work--but glad CGKings317 could!

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 9):
I am on it for PDX, so how can they apply for two exemptions, when I thought 4 slots left would be given to 4 carriers. When is US going to announce their given slot? Where is it on AS's website, I don't see it?

I didn't see anything in the order stating that an airline could only apply for one exemption, which means they should be able to apply for as many of the exemptions as they wanted. That doesn't mean the airline will necessarily receive both exemptions, but in many cases it is worth a shot. It is like the opening of HND to U.S. carriers last year (two years ago?)--DL and HA applied for the majority of the frequencies, just in case.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

steex

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 22):
I wonder what would happen of only 3 airlines bid? Would someone get 2 new routes? (Not that I think that's really going to happen.)

Definitely. At no point has DOT claimed that it was providing slots to four different carriers, just that they are going to distribute four beyond-perimeter slot pairs. Conventional wisdom says that DOT is likely to award them to four different carriers provided that many apply with routes DOT would like to see served. They typically rule in favor of diversifying access amongst carriers.

Even if four or more carriers apply, I think DOT would give AS both of PDX and SAN (as unserved markets) before they'd give F9 another DCA-DEN, for example.

point2point

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Here is the first line that I've seen of the AS DCA-PDX/SAN filing:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ala...tland-ore-and-san-diego-2012-03-12

and as the clock ticks...........

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 25):
Definitely. At no point has DOT claimed that it was providing slots to four different carriers, just that they are going to distribute four beyond-perimeter slot pairs. Conventional wisdom says that DOT is likely to award them to four different carriers provided that many apply with routes DOT would like to see served. They typically rule in favor of diversifying access amongst carriers.

Even if four or more carriers apply, I think DOT would give AS both of PDX and SAN (as unserved markets) before they'd give F9 another DCA-DEN, for example.

Hey steex, I wondered where you were.

Somewhere I remember seeing that the Final Four cx would be eligible for 2 slot exemptions (read: 1 r/t flight at DCA) maximum. But I just was wondering what would happen if there were NOT bids by 4 different cx? ( I'm just afraid we'll run out of things to speculate about on this thread...  

So no, unless there are only a couple of airlines bidding here -- and I admittedly don't know what would happen then -- AS cannot get both SAN and PDX.

Did all of that make any sense?  

bb

SouthernDC9

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 26):

In my fantasy world at least one airline will have forgotten about daylight savings time and submit their proposal an hour after the deadline...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting texan (Reply 8):
According to AS's website, they are applying for DCA-PDX and DCA-SAN.

Sorry I couldn't say anything about it earlier - had to keep the DCA-SAN portion hush-hush until it was publicly announced!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 28):
In my fantasy world at least one airline will have forgotten about daylight savings time and submit their proposal an hour after the deadline...

Oh now, what a rotten attitiude! LOL! I'm sure most of us have someone particular in mind for that scenario...   (But come on now, an airline forgetting about DST, THAT would make the 6 o'clock news!)

It's now after 3 in WAS. Whatever the heck the drop-dead deadlline is, it's an hour closer now...

bb

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Here is the first line that I've seen of the AS DCA-PDX/SAN filing:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ala...tland-ore-and-san-diego-2012-03-12

Based on the article, it appears that PDX-DCA has a lot more political backing than SAN-DCA. I'm hoping AS gets at least one, if not both.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 28):

DOT would forgive the airline and the application go through. It's happened in the past and will happen again, I'm sure.
a.

AS739BSI

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 31):

KING-TV in Seattle has confirmed that one.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm

JetBlue has asked for AUS and SJU.
a.

steex

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 27):
Somewhere I remember seeing that the Final Four cx would be eligible for 2 slot exemptions (read: 1 r/t flight at DCA) maximum. But I just was wondering what would happen if there were NOT bids by 4 different cx? ( I'm just afraid we'll run out of things to speculate about on this thread...

I don't think that's the case, and it is not spelled out anywhere in the official establishment order that DOT put out for docket DOT-OST-2012-0029. It only indicates that the non-limited incumbent carriers (AA/DL/UA/US) are each entitled to a maximum of two newly authorized exemptions (read: one new slot pair), it does not establish similar criteria for the new entrant & limited incumbent slots.

Based on the language provided in the docket, it certainly seems that DOT is free to pick whichever routes, services, and schedules are most beneficial regardless of the carriers involved. The criteria set forth for the new entrant and limited incumbent carriers is as follows:
(A) Provide air transportation with domestic network benefits beyond the 1,250 mile perimeter;
(B) Increase competition in multiple markets;
(C) Not reduce travel options for communities served by small hub airports and medium hub airports within the 1,250 mile perimeter;
(D) Not result in meaningfully increased travel delays;
(E) Enhance options for nonstop travel to and from the beyond-perimeter airports that will be served;
(F) Have a positive impact on the overall level of competition in the markets that will be served; or
(G) Produce public benefits, including lower fares, higher capacity, and a variety of service options.

My take on these:
- I would think any service linking DCA to a western hub best satisfies (A) and (B)
- All options should satisfy (C) given that these will not be a slot re-distribution
- A schedule operating outside of DCA's peaks would best satisfy (D), but this is likely not a major issue
- Anyone proposing a route not already served has a leg up on (E)
- Everyone should more or less satisfy (F) and (G) to various degrees, with an edge to routes that have higher demand and/or connectivity as well as aircraft with greater capacity. However, all carriers should be applying with approximately the same size aircraft in this case, so capacity will probably be a mostly moot point unless B6 or F9 apply with a proposed E-jet service.
- Though not explicitly stated, I would still expect new entrants to be somewhat favored since DOT often likes to spread the love around. This would be most favorable to VX since they stand to be the only new entrant from the list of likely applicants. It doesn't appear they will propose a new route, but DOT may feel that DCA-SFO is deserving of two flights on competing carriers and find that compelling enough to rule in favor of a new entrant.

dolphinflyer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:17 pm

USA Today reports that VX has applied for double-daily SFO-DCA slots. Seems they're putting all their eggs in the SFO basket.

mercure1

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm

JetBlue proposed schedule.

DCA-SJU 1000-1355 A320
SJU-DCA 1105 1505 A320

DCA-AUS 1340-1600 E190
AUS-DCA 0830-1255 E190

MAH4546

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Frontier will apply for COS with "single-plane service" to SAN.

[Edited 2012-03-12 14:33:30]
a.

DCAYOW

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Wow- Air Canada has filed for DCA-YVR
Retorne ao céu...

mercure1

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Air Canada proposed schedule.

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319

Times for beyond Pacific connetions

mercure1

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Virgin American proposed schedule:

SFO-DCA 0905-1710 A319
SFO-DCA 1335-2140 A319

DCA-SFO 0825-1105 A319
DCA-SFO 1815-2055 A319

mercure1

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Frontier plan:

SAN-COS 0720-1032 A320
COS-DCA 1117-1636 A320

DCA-COS 1721-1914 A320
COS-SAN 1959-2112 A320

MAH4546

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Southwest is in for once daily SAN-AUS-DCA.
a.

redzeppelin

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 43):
Southwest is in for once daily SAN-AUS-DCA.

That makes two bids for AUS. Is there no love for SAT? I thought they had a good case. Does anybody really think that the one-stop services to SAN now proposed by F9 and WN will really influence the DOT's decision? I suppose that they are considering onward connectivity in the process, so perhaps it will help. But I would expect them to be evaluated primarily as non-stops to COS and AUS. Interesting that they both chose SAN as the final destination. Could SAN come out of this with 3 DCA flights (1 non-stop, 2 direct)? I really don't see the COS bid being very competitive against other bids so far.

steex

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 44):
Does anybody really think that the one-stop services to SAN now proposed by F9 and WN will really influence the DOT's decision?

They could only if DOT has more than four cities they were interested in giving new service - in that case, they could take the position that WN is serving two cities that they hoped to give DCA access (at least with WN, a through flight doesn't require leaving the plane). Not saying they would, but that could allow them to then award VX/SFO, AS/PDX, and B6/SJU with the other three slot pairs.

However, I don't think F9 has any chance at all, especially now that there are already non-stop DCA-SAN and a more desirable DCA-AUS-SAN one-stop on the table. I think DOT would prefer to see non-stops to all of PDX, SAN, AUS, and SJU before COS.

atrude777

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 pm

So to Summarize it into One post for those easy to Read...

We have..

Virgin America-Double Daily DCA-SFO
Air Canada-Single Daily DCA-YVR
Southwest Airlines DCA-AUS (continuing to SAN)
Frontier Airlines DCA-COS (continuing to SAN)
Jetblue Single Daily DCA-AUS and Single Daily DCA-SJU
Alaska Airlines Single Daily DCA-PDX and Single Daily DCA-SAN

My Thoughts...
Southwest--WN shouldn't bother mentioning AUS-SAN portion considering that WN already flies AUS-SAN, so this is not new, SAN gains nothing from WN adding AUS-DCA, I don't even see why WN added that, however..it is true WN does offer connections beyond AUS not just to SAN but to LAX, SMF (big key point actually, really would have liked to see DCA-SMF offered), LBB, ELP, PHX, LAS, DEN, HRL, HOU, and of course DAL, (which is already being covered by DCA-OKC-DAL).

Alaska seems to show the strongest point to PDX, I see PDX-DCA winning, Virgin probably would get DCA-SFO, B6 I could see winning DCA-AUS, only because WN already serves AUS-SAN (explained above).

Air Canada is an interesting bid, but to me personally, I'd like to see more options for the United States, DCA-YVR does not benefit anyone in the US except DC Folks. No one in the west coast could even use Air Canada's YVR-DCA service.

Frontier is a good choice also for DCA-COS but again why are they adding SAN to these connections? SAN wants NON STOP do they not?

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Question.

Why has US been so mum on the whole deal? Perhaps they were waiting to see how many would apply for SAN? That seemed like a no brainer to me for them.
What gets measured gets done.

DCAYOW

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Alaska's application for SAN-DCA (continues to HNL).
Retorne ao céu...

GentFromAlaska

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 44):
I really don't see the COS bid being very competitive against other bids so far.

I do: Headquarters NORAD is located at Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colorado. NORAD command and control is exercised at/through the Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center, located a short distance away. DCA-COS connects the Pentagon with NORAD HQ Additionally you have the USAF Academy at COS.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.