bigphilnyc
Topic Author

AA And US Buying Joint Domain Names For Merger?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

If the pile of domain names they just purchased is an indication, a merger may be imminent. Or maybe just protecting them in case?

http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/03/a...ain-name-purchases-to-be-believed/ [NYCAviation]

Hmmmmmm....
Phil Derner Jr.

aeroblogger

RE: AA And US Buying Joint Domain Names For Merger?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Anyone could have bought them...

Doesn't mean much methinks...
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

RWA380

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Interesting, but too new to say for sure, seems like it will spark 101 rumors of the proposed nuptials.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

gothamspotter

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 1):
Anyone could have bought them...

The registrar that the buyer (or buyers) used indicates that it wasn't just anyone.

[Edited 2012-03-12 09:30:39]

ckfred

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm

It could be anything from serious discussion talks to one airline or the other simply buying potential names, before a computer geek thought to do so and then hold a domain hostage for a kings ransom.

If you type in AA.net, it winds up at a Sprint Mobile website (go figure), while AA.org is the website of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Remember that Tom Horton has said that AA isn't looking to merge with another airline, but there have been discussions with TPG about the possibility of an investment in AA, post Chaper 11. If I remember correctly, TPG (when it was Texas Pacific Group) invested in Continental after its last bankruptcy.

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 pm

If it's to be believed, I like the 'AAdvantage of US' tagline.

USAirALB

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I have to admit that it us highly unlikely that someone would go purchase a domain called: "oneworldoneairline.com" or the "advantageofus.com". Those are highly creative names, names that an ordinary person would not come up with.

One world. One airline....sounds clever!
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

JFKPurser

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 4):
Remember that Tom Horton has said that AA isn't looking to merge with another airline

Why should anyone believe a word this man says?

Rdh3e

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting gothamspotter (Reply 3):
The registrar that the buyer (or buyers) used indicates that it wasn't just anyone.

No it doesn't. The registrar's of the sites are all the anonymous intermediaries. You can pay $10 a year to hide your info from the whois registry.

They were all registered through this intermediary: https://www.markmonitor.com/

Which is NOT the intermidiary that AA or US use on their own sites. Yes, this doesn't mean it was not them, but there is no proof that it is them. Unless you have a means to bypass the privacy on that account then you can't be certain.

Also, saying that the last few were "too creative to be a scammer" is a lame excuse. Any person with some marketing talent could easily have come up with those names.

[Edited 2012-03-12 10:33:44]

burnsie28

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Remember that Tom Horton has said that AA isn't looking to merge with another airline,

Doug Steenland said the same thing when it came to NW... look how that turned out.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 8):
Which is NOT the intermidiary that AA or US use on their own sites. Yes, this doesn't mean it was not them, but there is no proof that it is them. Unless you have a means to bypass the privacy on that account then you can't be certain.

MarkMonitor is a brand protection servicer that does not purchase domain names without proof of brand ownership, which is why this move is interesting.
a.

EricR

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 pm

This may be nothing more than an individual purchasing the domain names based purely on speculation in hopes of making a few dollars if the merger comes to fruition AND the airline is willing to buy the domain name. This is not uncommon. On the flip side, it is an interesting topic and could be an indication of things to come......I guess time will tell.

bjorn14

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:49 pm

A cheap insurance premium if you ask me.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

fcogafa

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 pm

If they were going to merge why would they want a url with both airlines names in them? Was there a northwestdelta.com or more relevantly a usairamericawest.org?!

bigphilnyc
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 11):
This may be nothing more than an individual purchasing the domain names based purely on speculation in hopes of making a few dollars if the merger comes to fruition AND the airline is willing to buy the domain name. This is not uncommon. On the flip side, it is an interesting topic and could be an indication of things to come......I guess time will tell.

Many seem to not be reading, noting that this was not bought by some random person...those involved have proven to be related to those brands.
Phil Derner Jr.

gothamspotter

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 8):
No it doesn't. The registrar's of the sites are all the anonymous intermediaries. You can pay $10 a year to hide your info from the whois registry.

You must have missed the part where the article laid out explicitly how MarkMonitor is not just an anonymous intermediary.

This may be nothing more than an individual purchasing the domain names based purely on speculation in hopes of making a few dollars if the merger comes to fruition AND the airline is willing to buy the domain name.

You must have not read it at all.  

NUAir

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Maybe they were purchased by Southwest...
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting fcogafa (Reply 13):
If they were going to merge why would they want a url with both airlines names in them? Was there a northwestdelta.com or more relevantly a usairamericawest.org?!

For merger related information, they can outline the process and progress on a separate website that ties both brands together.

EricR

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting gothamspotter (Reply 15):
This may be nothing more than an individual purchasing the domain names based purely on speculation in hopes of making a few dollars if the merger comes to fruition AND the airline is willing to buy the domain name.

You must have not read it at all.

Oooops. You are right.

Could be very interesting times ahead.

milemaster

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Personally I think this indicates nothing.

tommy767

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 5):

aadvantageofus.com doesn't exactly sound like a scammer in the making either...

too hard to tell at this point. I still wonder if/when US will leave star for OW?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

malaysia

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 6):

Actually the One world, One Airline was one of my slogans years ago with my FS virtual airline. so I am a common person and did use that slogan
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

gustywinds

Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Frontier and Midwest did have frontiermidwest.com when they announced the merger of the two brands.

I believe there is credibility with the AA and US domain names. Show me a combined AA and any other airline out there (DL, UA, AS) domain and then I'll think it's people squatting on domain names just in case.

TWA1985

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Something tells me that a merger announcement in imminent ... it's a gut feeling. With the domain provider requiring proof that the purchasing party is related to the companies involved ... this feels legit.
Live Young. Live Wild. Live Free.

aaexecplat

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 pm

I have said this all along...If AA and US want to thrive, they will have to merge...no way around it. The fleet synergies (especially once the MDs are gone) are substantial, and the route network largely complementary. DL and UA are just too big to take on for AA or US and their network dwarfs that of their smaller brethren.

Only a combination with a subsequent redeployment of equipment and consolidation of the merged airline into OW will be what will get them to be competitive for corporate contacts. Of course, reducing the landscape to three legacies will also increase fares and pricing power, which the legacies will need in the face of rising oil prices.

It's simple math. I expect the AA name and brand to survive, the headquarters to be based in DFW, and the US team to lead the merged airline.

I am certain we'll see an announcement after the employment contracts have either been renegotiated...that means right as AA will be exiting bk.

As a long-time EXP, this scenario obviously carries significant potential issues for me...

premobrimo

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm

This confirms that US Airways DID in-fact purchase the domain names....

"The purchase of these domain names, along with other potential transaction names, is simply step to ensure others do not use our marks in a way that might negatively impact our brand," US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr says."

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

[Edited 2012-03-12 13:45:52]
Now You're Flying Smart.

jporterfi

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting NUAir (Reply 16):

WN purchase AA?    Was that meant as a joke? We just saw that WN plans to get rid of FL's 717s; what would they do with all of the aircraft types that AA has? And more importantly, how would they shell out that kind of cash? they are, after all, a LCC.

ripcordd

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 pm

I think people may read too much into it...If the 2 combine AA will be the brand name that stays and they own aa.com already so no need to buy any more....But AA did buy tomhortonsucks.com....

USAirALB

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 27):

These wouldn't be the actual websites. It would more be a website regarding merger information. Kinda like when US had "transformingusairways.com"
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

ouboy79

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 26):
WN purchase AA?    Was that meant as a joke? We just saw that WN plans to get rid of FL's 717s; what would they do with all of the aircraft types that AA has? And more importantly, how would they shell out that kind of cash? they are, after all, a LCC.

With more money than most majors if I recall right. 717s aren't going anywhere fast...still got a few years. They'll probably still be in the fleet after the last FL flight operates.

Quoting premobrimo (Reply 25):

"The purchase of these domain names, along with other potential transaction names, is simply step to ensure others do not use our marks in a way that might negatively impact our brand," US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr says."

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...te=NA

Thanks for the post. Should help clear somethings up for those calling this a hoax of sorts.

blueman87

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 pm

If true that is true Bring Back TWA
B6 T5 JFK DL T2/3 JFK

tommy767

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:14 pm

HAH! Reading between the lines that basically means, "We'll be merging with American eventually."

Quoting Blueman87 (Reply 31):

I agree.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

joelyboy911

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 pm

If they bought all the domain names mentioned in the article, then "oneworldoneairline" is a big stretch to fit in with the explanation of:

"ensure others do not use our marks in a way that might negatively impact our brand".

Perhaps they are not 'intending' to merge per se. But they quite obviously think it possible.
Flown: NZ, NY, SJ, QF, UA, AC, EI, BE, TP, AF

ckfred

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Quoting JFKPurser (Reply 7):
Why should anyone believe a word this man says?

Because making false statements to the media, creditors, attorneys, etc. doesn't sit well with a federal judge. Besides, Horton actually made some stinging comments about the number of tries Doug Parker has made in trying to take over another carrier. I think one line was about something in the water in Phoenix that leads to a craving to buy another airline. Insulting a potential suitor makes for some uncomfortable negotiating sessions.

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 9):
Doug Steenland said the same thing when it came to NW... look how that turned out.

Except NW and DL didn't start talking merger until both were out of bankruptcy. There wasn't any talk of DL trying to take over NW as part of the bankruptcy exit strategy.

CIDFlyer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:39 pm

I hope they go for it, would make a nice route map IMHO. would shore up up weaknesses in regions across the country for each airline (ie southeast for AA, midwest for US)

rampart

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Interesting development...

Sounds like communism to me.   Perhaps they should register AAeroflot while they're at it.

. If I remember correctly, TPG (when it was Texas Pacific Group) invested in Continental after its last bankruptcy.

TPG has been involved in a number of airline investments. TPG was previously and may currently be interested in F9, for instance.

$3 bill says it's someone who already posted on this thread.       Wait, I have to come up with that denomination first.

-Rampart

NC1844V

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 am

Quoting AAExecplat (Reply 24):
I expect the AA name and brand to survive, the headquarters to be based in DFW, and the US team to lead the merged airline.

I sure hope you're right on this one. I know there are a lot of people out there that have dislikes for AA, but being from Texas I sure do not want this airline to disappear. Hopefully they will figure something out.

But it does look like from what the article stated, that US is looking deeply into the possibility of buying AA. Only time will tell.
Steven

Confuscius

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 am

What would the merged airline called, US American Airlines?
Ain't I a stinker?

HKG212

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 am

I have to admit that it us highly unlikely that someone would go purchase a domain called: "oneworldoneairline.com" or the "advantageofus.com". Those are highly creative names, names that an ordinary person would not come up with.

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 8):
Also, saying that the last few were "too creative to be a scammer" is a lame excuse. Any person with some marketing talent could easily have come up with those names.
Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 20):
aadvantageofus.com doesn't exactly sound like a scammer in the making either...

Sorry guys, don't mean to offend anyone, but this is one of the most absurd threads I have seen on this forum... you don't need to be a marketing geius to know that any of those domain names are a branding disaster ("aadvantageofus.com"?!? please...), even in the unlikely event such a merger would take place.

Quoting AAExecplat (Reply 24):
I expect the AA name and brand to survive, the headquarters to be based in DFW, and the US team to lead the merged airline.

Don't know about the headquarters, and the leadership, but for sure, if this merger ever takes place the combined airline will be called American Airlines, domain aa.com. End of story.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 39):
Sorry guys, don't mean to offend anyone, but this is one of the most absurd threads I have seen on this forum... you don't need to be a marketing geius to know that any of those domain names are a branding disaster ("aadvantageofus.com"?!? please...), even in the unlikely event such a merger would take place.

Well. US purchased the names, so.

On a different note, isn't it interesting to pause and think about how a small LCC from the 80s managed to grow and acquire and merge itself into an airline powerful enough to acquire the venerable American Airlines? Amazing for an airline to do that in just 30 short years.

ouboy79

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 38):

So what's your opinion of the slogan "Fly with US" hmm? lol

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 38):
Don't know about the headquarters, and the leadership, but for sure, if this merger ever takes place the combined airline will be called American Airlines, domain aa.com. End of story.

Umm duh? Doug was ready to rename US Airways into Delta if that worked. Go with the bigger and more known brand. Anyone would call that one.

AAIL86

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting NC1844V (Reply 37):
But it does look like from what the article stated, that US is looking deeply into the possibility of buying AA. Only time will tell.

Well it's not a secret that the board of US Airways is itching for a merger, the question is how open are AA to one. Certainly it's no surprise that US are getting their ducks in a row with minor moves like this.

I suspect the AA top brass is more interested in a merger then they are publicly stating, although they will certainly only want a transaction with US if AA gets to call most of the shots. The AA workgroups, both unionized and not, will be overwhelmingly against it for now - although if the losses keep piling on that may change. I think Horton et al will wait to see how things develop with amending the union contracts and leaving the merger card in the back of their hand for the near future. Meanwhile, US will continue to agitate for consolidation...

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 38):
What would the merged airline called

It would be an exceedingly bad business decision to go with anything but the American brand in any potential merger between AA and US.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

HKG212

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 39):
Well. US purchased the names, so.

Seems very amateurish, to say the least. I'm wondring if it's even true.

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 42):
Seems very amateurish, to say the least. I'm wondring if it's even true.

You need to read the last paragraph of the article. US confirmed that they purchased the names.

HKG212

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:58 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 43):
You need to read the last paragraph of the article. US confirmed that they purchased the names.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

Aloha717200

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 44):

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

Do you have a better source?

HKG212

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 45):
Do you have a better source?

Common sense.

Look, even if someone at US actually made this move, I still maintain it's as dumb and amateurish as anything I have ever seen in airline marketing. If people want to see that as a sign of an imminent merger, go ahead. Enough others have commented on the wisdom of such a merger in this forum already.

Time will tell, but my $10 says there will be no such merger, and if it does happen, none of these purchased domains will be used by the merged airline. American, aa.com, enough said.

Squid

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 am

Well, the purchase of these domain names means nothing, but personally, I think a merger is in the works.

I think that the AA management is looking at the numbers, and looking at Delta and United, and realizes that they don't have much of a chance in the future without a merger. They are trying to strip AA down to profitability, but what the management is probably realizing is that due to their hubs, they simply will not survive as a second fiddle. ORD either must grow or close, because it won't survive as an Eagle/Connection hub with a few mainline and international flights, MIA does not work as a connection city in the South Eastern U.S. unless flying to or from the Caribbean or South America, They don't have an ice cubes chance in hell in the NYC market with Delta's operations at LGA and JFK, and United at EWR, and DFW cannot be expected to shoulder and save AA by themselves.

If AA and US were to merge, they would bring quite a bit to the table for each other. ORD would benefit from PHL and CLT as it would open many new destinations to small cities that AA does not serve, or have an alliance to get their passengers there either, and CLT would give AA a solid operation where they currently don't have much of a presence.

With rising fuel prices, RJ's are not the future, but ORD and a large portion of their LAX and JFK domestic flights are on RJ's. If fuel prices wouldn't have rising so fast, I think AA management did plan of emerging as a standalone operation, but I think they are re-thinking that plan now as fuel prices are most likely not going to ever drop enough to make thair plan work for quite some time.

cofannyc

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 46):
Common sense.

Look, even if someone at US actually made this move, I still maintain it's as dumb and amateurish as anything I have ever seen in airline marketing. If people want to see that as a sign of an imminent merger, go ahead. Enough others have commented on the wisdom of such a merger in this forum already.

But common sense says that your theory makes no sense. One of the following must be true in your scenario:

1) A US Airways spokesperson just lied.
2) Someone made up a quote, attributed it to a US spokesperson and US doesn't care.

Not logical.

EricR

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting HKG212 (Reply 46):
Time will tell, but my $10 says there will be no such merger, and if it does happen, none of these purchased domains will be used by the merged airline. American, aa.com, enough said.

You are misunderstanding the purpose of these domain names.

The purpose of these domain names is not intended to be a replacement of the existing domain names (aa.com or usairways.com). The purpose of these domain names is to create a site that the public can access for FAQs and updates relating to the merger. This commonly happens with mergers.