Sandgroper
Topic Author

How To Impress A FA, Dont Ask For Diet Coke!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Apparently a veteran Flight Attendant has revealed that FA's are put off by requests for Diet Coke as it is extra fizzy and "is the most annoying beverage to pour"

http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/tra...ight-attendant-20120312-1utzu.html
Sandgroper

nws2002

RE: How To Impress A FA, Dont Ask For Diet Coke!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Well Diet Coke is extra fizzy, but as a FA it is not that much worse to pour. If I'm in a hurry I will start giving passengers the cans after I pour half the cup instead of waiting for the foam to die down.

COEWR787

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 1):
Well Diet Coke is extra fizzy, but as a FA it is not that much worse to pour. If I'm in a hurry I will start giving passengers the cans after I pour half the cup instead of waiting for the foam to die down.

That's the reason I ask for Diet Coke.   That way I am more likely to get the whole can  

airportugal310

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 pm

I like the picture of a FA pouring champagne to a client in a Gulfstream...because you know, thats wicked annoying and such  
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Rdh3e

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I like how she's a "veteran" flight attendant at 17 years. We should find the stories that those with 50 years could tell!

hiflyeras

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm

If she was a 'veteran' FA she'd know that you pour the liquid first and THEN add the ice. Duh.

yowza

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 pm

If you Google "Heather Poole" the vast majority of things you'll find are (self-)plugs to posts on Gadling and to her recently released book. Nothing to see here people. Move on.

YOWza

sq_ek_freak

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Well personally speaking for me I don't care whether its a diet coke or what once we are in the air, but don't snap your fingers and tell me you want two whiskeys neat as we are trying to complete boarding on time at 4am and settle 350 coach passengers down to push back on time! Happens quite frequently at my airline  
Keep Discovering

tp1040

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Had to laugh at the photo that accompanies the story. If you are on a private jet, the attendant had better be impressing you.

B2443

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 2):
That way I am more likely to get the whole can

Is there some kind of policy not to hand out the whole can?

RP TPA

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Can you say "burned out flight attendant", boys and girls?

EWRCabincrew

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

If you want the can, ask, you get the can.. It's that simple. As for pouring Diet Coke, so it foams more. BFD. Pour it and move on. You want to impress me, say please, thank you and you're welcome. Take your ear phones out when we are talking. Basic courtesies impress me.
You can't cure stupid

nwa757boy

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Coke Zero beats Diet Coke hands down in the fizz/flow factor.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Quoting nwa757boy (Reply 12):
Coke Zero beats Diet Coke hands down in the fizz/flow factor.

It seems to me that ANY diet soda is way more fizzy than it's sugary siblings. Both in the ground and in the air. Makes it a pain to pour  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MLD9S

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
You want to impress me, say please, thank you and you're welcome. Take your ear phones out when we are talking. Basic courtesies impress me.

Besides, I think Heather Poole flies for American. Do American flight attendants even pour drinks in coach? (I am not being sarcastic - Every AA flight I have ever been on, I've just been handed a can of soda and a glass of ice when in coach.)
Midway Airlines. Our Spirit Will Lift You.

flyfree727

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting MLD9S (Reply 14):
Do American flight attendants even pour drinks in coach? (I am not being sarcastic - Every AA flight I have ever been on, I've just been handed a can of soda and a glass of ice when in coach.)

Its AA policy to provide a full can of soda and a cup of ice during the first bev service. Policy is second service to offer a cup of soda unless full can requested by passenger. I personally ask on the second service if they would like the full can, and most only request a cup.

And, Diet Coke is the most popular request we receive for soda.

AA ORD

[Edited 2012-03-13 11:28:31]

lax777lr

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Oh yeah, I think we all seek how to impress flight attendants more with very flight... If you weren't brought up with basic interpersonal skills and common courtesy from your mom long ago, I doubt this article will influence your behavior... Good book plug though...  

andz

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:59 pm

We must live in the dark ages here, they give you the whole can and the glass with ice. Pour your own.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

vulindlela744

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm

I've been a flight attendant for 7 years and could care less what a pax asks me for. They are the reason I'm there. As long as they are polite I'm fine with it. Unfortunately, simple manners seem to have gone by the wayside these days. It's really bad.

COEWR787

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting B2443 (Reply 9):

Yikes! People took my comment seriously! I did put in a smiley!

Actually I don't think it is particularly important to impress FAs specifically either. But I do extend common courtesies to them that I would to anyone else, like saying please and taking off head phones and such. It is just the right thing to do.

shufflemoomin

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

They're flying in a pressurized metal tube at 30,000 feet and 500 mph where the slightest mistake or mechanical failure can result in fiery death. The fact that "diet coke is too fizzy" shows that they're somewhat taking it all for granted.  

Ditzyboy

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Adding a slice of lemon before pouring the lemon prevents the fizz problem.

These days, my airline serves Diet Coke only in first class and the amount of it available is minuscule. It cannot be ordered upline. I love my Diet Coke and have switched to green tea with jasmine as my preferred drink at work after Coke Zero was forced upon me.

Viscount724

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Quoting B2443 (Reply 9):
Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 2):
That way I am more likely to get the whole can

In Europe it's more common for soft drinks (and water) to be poured from large plastic bottles. Cans only seen for beer and (very small cans) for juice.

n92r03

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 pm

say please, thank you and you're welcome. Take your ear phones out when we are talking.

The basics that we learned as children, but as society as a whole has gone downhill, so have the basic manners. They say you can get a lot more with sugar than vinegar...just being polite will get one a long way.

FWAERJ

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Quoting ditzyboy (Reply 21):
These days, my airline serves Diet Coke only in first class and the amount of it available is minuscule. It cannot be ordered upline. I love my Diet Coke and have switched to green tea with jasmine as my preferred drink at work after Coke Zero was forced upon me.

Which airline is this? The official line from Coca-Cola is that Coke Zero is NOT a replacement for Diet Coke. Instead, Coke Zero is its own beverage with its own flavor profile.

Here in the US, you always see the two served side-by-side no matter what the situation.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

ikramerica

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Quoting vulindlela744 (Reply 18):
I've been a flight attendant for 7 years and could care less what a pax asks me for. They are the reason I'm there. As long as they are polite I'm fine with it. Unfortunately, simple manners seem to have gone by the wayside these days. It's really bad.

While I'm always polite to the F/As, I don't want to be sometimes when the F/As are holding an ongoing, gossipy conversation with each other while they serve, don't make eye contact with pax and basically treat us like a nuisance. Unfortunately, to paraphrase your words:

Respect for customers has gone by the wayside these days. It's really bad.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

IAHFLYR

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

You want to impress me, say please, thank you and you're welcome. Take your ear phones out when we are talking. Basic courtesies impress me.

You are so correct, and I hope I said thank you enough when we were lucky enough to be on your flight from MXP!!!! 

If people would simply get the vodka and juice there is no fizzing and no issue.  
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Ditzyboy

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 24):
Which airline is this?

Qantas.

There was once five Diet Cokes in every splits drawer. Three out of the five were made Coke Zero, then the company makes a statement that Coke Zero is more popular and they get rid of Diet Coke. Of course it is going to be more popular when it has replaced most of the Diet Coke (and not be added over and above the previous amount)!

Diet Coke apparently made a comeback in First with around 12 cans loaded ex-Australia only.

[Edited 2012-03-13 14:13:36]

zippyjet

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting Sandgroper (Thread starter):
Apparently a veteran Flight Attendant has revealed that FA's are put off by requests for Diet Coke as it is extra fizzy and "is the most annoying beverage to pour"

Smart move, Diet soda no matter what the brand is vial! Diet 7 Up and Diet Sprite are OK. The higher carbination to cut the bitter taste sensation. Also, Diet soda is worse for you than regular. I'm not sure on the hybrid stuff Pepsi I and Coke 0. They remind me more of diet so I'm assuming their properties, fizz factor would be the same. Also with any soda if it's not chilled and the flight is bumpy their is more a chance for shake up and a fizz explosion.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

windshear

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:48 pm

I have an idea!
I will order a coke ZERO and ask her/him NOT to pour it!  

That oughta do it!
Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

1stfl94

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Wouldn't this whole issue be solved by simply handing the passenger a can and a glass. I'm paying to get from A to B and possibly some refreshments I don't need to see the FA try and handle fizzy drinks in turbulence I am capable of doing it myself.

Admittedly I am never going to be in the diet coke situation since I have yet to discover the point of diet soda.

Bobloblaw

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 pm

FA One: Which one is the Coke and which one is the Sprite?
FA Two: I dont know. I wasnt there when they were poured.

BCEaglesCO757

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 pm

I hope none of the diabetic passengers go into a coma trying to impress the crew............

manny

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Why would one want to impress FA's anyways ? Specially on US flights. Be polite and civilized. If they do not respond to your requests, be firm. But never be rude.

I recall the old days where it was the FA's job to impress their passengers.

DocLightning

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting manny (Reply 36):
I recall the old days where it was the FA's job to impress their passengers.

Agreed. I am on the flight to get somewhere. I am a paying customer. I do not expect to be treated like royalty. I will be polite and respectful and I expect the same in return.

And if I want a Diet Coke, then I jolly well will order one!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting manny (Reply 36):
Be polite and civilized. If they do not respond to your requests, be firm. But never be rude.

I agree. Other than please and thank you and not shouting when **** hits the fan I can't really think of anything else to do. After all, your interaction over the drinks service is, what, less than 30 seconds?!

Unfortunately flying brings out the worst in a lot of people. My sister (FA of 15 years) says that passengers check in their brains with their bags...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ikramerica

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 35):
Unfortunately flying brings out the worst in a lot of people. My sister (FA of 15 years) says that passengers check in their brains with their bags...

I don't know, maybe being crammed into a 17" by 28" square area, fighting simply for room to put your elbow and not getting whacked in the knee by a food trolley, and losing complete control over your own safety and freedom brings out nervousness and agitation in people? And maybe if the airlines made more effort to make pax comfortable and relaxed like they used to do, things wouldn't be as bad?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

infinit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 am

Simple solution. Give them the can you terribly cost-cutting airlines out there!

Mcoov

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 am

Why anyone would ask for a Diet soda is beyond me.

airman99o

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 am

I don't like pouring it. I worked at McDonalds for 4 + years. worst drink in the world to pour. same in the air. fizzes like mad. But I say let them have the bloody drink, I will never touch the shit. Read up on the crap aspartame, When put into the body one of the by products of breaking down in the body is formaldehyde. MMMMMM drink a drink that preserves the body while you drink it. YUM. lol One thing the FDA forgot to mention in its testing of this product.
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

allrite

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 am

Quoting ditzyboy (Reply 27):
Qantas.

I seem to recall that we were given a snack pack containing a packet of Menthos on one Qantas SIN-LHR flight. Maybe I should have ordered a Coke and made myself really popular with the FAs!   

On the Diet Coke vs Anything Else debate I once attended a cricket match up in Rockhampton (Sri Lanka vs Queensland). This was the kind of place where palettes of beer were carted around the viewing areas on trailers towed by quad bikes. Eve. It was a very hot day (ie a Rocky summer day). Ever single soft drink quickly sold out - except for the Diet Cokes, which nobody touched.
I like artificial banana essence!

EWRCabincrew

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
I will be polite and respectful and I expect the same in return.

A lost art these days and sadly from us (FAs) as well. I am just grateful that it still exists. I, for one, treat others as I would like to be treated. It goes without saying.

One tip for pouring overly fizzy drinks: tilt glass and put lip of can on lip of glass, slowly pour into the glass, as glass fills, return glass to upright and level.
You can't cure stupid

Geezer

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 am

Very good answer from a very smart FA ! (you're in the "right business", but I'm not so sure about the other FA)

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 19):
Actually I don't think it is particularly important to impress FAs specifically either

I agree with your post, except this part; the way I see it, it behooves one to.........(and "impress" is not the right word here) to allow anyone you meet to see that YOU are a polite. thoughtful person; after you have done that, the ball is now in their court; if THEY chose to come back with something stupid, uncaring, what ever, all bets are off; (of course you're on an airplane here, so I would be very careful if I said anything back.

The MAIN reason I'm replying to this thread is a little different that the rest have been...............

Diet Coke.........how very timely to see this thread today; I just now returned from spending 12 hours in a hospital room with my dearest friend in the world; I listened carefully to what each of 4 different Doctors said to her; on the last doctor, Dr. Kumar Gaurav, much or the conversation was about .........Diet Coke ! Dr. Gaurav (pronounced like "giraffe" but with a "hard" g). he was asking all kinds of questions about habits, drinks, and all that. My friend is in the hospital for kidney failure; we almost didn't get her to the hospital "in time"; when the Doctor learned that she does indeed drink a lot of diet coke, he said very calmly, very matter-of-fact, " which is very possibly what had a big part in your being here now.

You know, I' very interested in people in general, and one's whose knowledge can save my best friend life, I listen ever so carefully; and I have a leg up on many people; I have a very reliable "sixth sense" about Doctors in general; I can "sense" which are great, and which are "average"........this doctor is "great". I don't want to wander off into a rant on the merits of varying kinds of soft drinks; the doctor even told us, when he was in Med school, and when it came time to pick his "specialty", he chose "kidneys" because he had already seen what too much soda pop is very capable of doing to humans; and one is as bad as any other; (his words, not mine)

When my friend asked him which treatment option he planned to follow, he (again) very calmly said, there are many hundreds of things that can cause kidneys to fail; until we discover the "cause" we can not pursue any treatment YET.
"But what if we can't find the cause" ? It's unlikely, but it sometimes happens, so then we have dialysis or a transplant; either one of which is quite capable of keeping you "around" for a long time! ( I told you this guy is great; he's even a highly skilled diplomat !

What you are reading here is not coming from me...........it's coming from a very knowledgeable young doctor who is going to do a kidney biopsy on my best friend, on Monday next, in hopes of discovering what the next best course of treatment to go with. Why am I telling all this to strangers ? Very simple; Dr. Guarav is trying to save my friend's life; if even one tiny seed that I have attempted to relate here encourage one single person to alter their "beverage of choice" , the small amount of time I spent tying this will be a very wise investment indeed. (I tried very had not to make this sound too "preachy"......I don't know I succeeded or not.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

infinit

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:36 am

Quoting airman99o (Reply 39):
I don't like pouring it. I worked at McDonalds for 4 + years. worst drink in the world to pour. same in the air. fizzes like mad. But I say let them have the bloody drink, I will never touch the shit. Read up on the crap aspartame, When put into the body one of the by products of breaking down in the body is formaldehyde. MMMMMM drink a drink that preserves the body while you drink it. YUM. lol One thing the FDA forgot to mention in its testing of this product.

Sorry a little off topic here but I have to agree. I use to sip away at Coke Light and Diet Coke like there was no tomorrow until I read about how damaging aspartame is. I never drank it since.

On a different but related note, I wonder if airlines have specific 'alliances' with cola brands eg. if an airline carries Coke, would they carry Pepsi as well?

Gipsy

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 am

Yep, I also stopped drinking and eating stuff with artificial sweeteners. They even have to be combined to level out the unwanted properties of them standing alone. If you read up on them and how the authorities let them slip through you might reconsider your consumption. I often tell people but many don't care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute

Geezer

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 am

I have no knowledge how the airlines handle that "matter"; does any one here care to guess how many festivals of one kind or another, there are each and every year in the U.S. ? I don't know exact numbers, but it's unimportant. I can almost guarantee you that the combined "pepsi / coke " sales at all those festivals is far greater than airline sales; and I DO have a best friend that employs 45 people for 10 days every October, his food sales being the big money ticket, but he STILL rakes in maybe 20K on coke sales; one thing coke and pepsi will never have to worry about with it's airline customers, is the customers making their own "product" ; a very nice guy, very savvy guy from Michigan probable outsells my friend on "soda pop" buy not that much, but he make about 15 times as much profit, because he makes the stuff every morning ; he was explaining to me one day what his "per unit" cost is; First, because he's very "savvy", he comes to the festival with a 30 ft box trailer, loaded with "stainless steel" root beer mugs; ( guess where such "mugs" come from..........the, (and here's "the hook") The big sign says "get your big genuine stainless steel mug filled with "Doctor Schlotzky's" famous home made root beer, ( comes in all 39 "flavors") ( each one of which requires just a few gallon jugs of various food colors; for just $6 last year, probably be $7 this year, (here we go.......the dreaded "hook is "set"............and as long as you have that genuine looks a lot like stainless steel mug............you bring it up, and you can drink enough root beer to float the Costa Concordia..............for JUST......$4 a pop ! Everything this guy does works like a well oiled clock; in effect, it IS a well oiled clock ! probably drink a couple of mugs of his "home made"product every day, for two reasons; first being, my best friend only sells coke products; I despise ALL coke products, no exceptions; secondly, I'm "like family" with the home made root beer guy, so he spots me all I can guzzle ! For free. And guess what.......if 5000 people read this, the root beer guy won't miss a SINGLE sale ! Hell, people have driven from California and Maine with their "genuine, sure looks kinda like stainless steel mugs, and they aim to "get'em filled !

The other 355 days a year, I probably drink less than 2 gallons total, of anybodies soda pop; whole bunch of reasons, none of which make me any smarter than the next guy. Mainly I like other stuff better; (unfortunately, none it's free; lot of milk, lot of good old Florida OJ (with LOTS of pulp ), and of course my "mainstay" throughout the hot months, Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice ! Ummmmmmm I can taste it now, come to think of it, I just happen to have an unopened half gallon in the fridge !....................................Be right back..........tomorrow !

Meanwhile, back at coke and pepsie, if they spot some one drinking the "other guys" pop, on THEIR vendors turf.......They'd probably call out the National Guard ! All those big beautiful new coke and pepsi machines. ( with the 5 ft high coke/pepsie bottle on the front door..............guess who owns all of those..........coke and pepsie....and if you want to "rent one", better have DEEP pockets !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

rwy04lga

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 42):
when the Doctor learned that she does indeed drink a lot of diet coke, he said very calmly, very matter-of-fact, " which is very possibly what had a big part in your being here now.

Well, if that's true, after 27 years of drinking Diet Coke almost exclusively, my death must be imminent.

Quoting infinit (Reply 43):
I use to sip away at Coke Light and Diet Coke like there was no tomorrow until I read about how damaging aspartame is. I never drank it since.

Coke Light = YUCK, Diet Coke = YUMMY. But, I guess I should start reading about Aspartame. I don't smoke or drink alcohol, can't I have my Diet Coke?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Geezer

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 am

rwy04lga.........

I sincerely hope you live to be 110 ! And I fully realized m any people would weigh in, claiming many years of drfinking diet coke, or diet anything else; my friends kidney doctor pointed out, (as I already knew), that no two people react the same way to almost anything; hell, there's a handful out there that will practically drop dead on the spot if they get within six feet of a peanut; yet I eat peanuts all the time, and they don't seem to bother me. You apparently have a high tolerance for that dreaded drug, aspertame. I guess I'm lucky, because I HATE the taste of ANYTHING sweetened with man=made sweetners; looking at it from another view point, plain old sugar can be probably just as bad as the artificial sweetners. (and that's one thing I CAN'T resist! ) I can promise you this though; when my fiance" gets straightened out, there will be damned few coffee cakes, donuts, and candy bars sold at Krogers on MY debit card. I not trying to take anything away from anyone; life is all about making choices, fro beginning to end; I've already made more poor choices than I should expect to get away with; but like I pointed out, this particular thing is no problem for me, be cause I already hate the taste of all artificial sweetners.

BTW.........Please check back in ten years; if you're here in ten years, as I sincerely hope you are; Let us know if you're still "ingesting" large quantities of aspertame.

Quoting gipsy (Reply 44):
I often tell people but many don't care.

So, they even have this evil in Germany ! But we're fortunate to have many "wise" Germans on A.net; sounds like gipsy is one of the wise ones !

Charley

smittyone

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am

I find the whole "beverage cart" process to be kind of amusing. Not that I have any better idea in mind, but there's just something Pavlovian about it.

I wonder if in 2000 years they will talk about how the 'early flyers' conducted a drinking ritual upon reaching cruise altitude.

sw733

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Sorry, but I hardly think of ordering my drink simply to make someone I'll never meet again happy. I don't do anything to make my flight attendants angry, but in the end I am their customer, and I am paying them for their service (yes, I know, safety is primary, but service is secondary), and I will order what I want.