QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 am

With today's announcement of VX opening PDX with flights out of LAX/SFO, why is it that WN does not have any nonstop flights from LAX to PDX or SEA, let alone any airport in Southern California to PDX/SEA?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

AS739BSI

RE: Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am

LAX/SFO-SEA You have VX, AS, and UA. With three competitors, you would be competing for already tough players in the market. Although LAX-SEA might see an opening since UA has already reduced it to CR7 and reducing frequency. However, AS already has SEA-SoCal covered and good name recognition at SEA.

PlanesNTrains

RE: Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 am

I think it's primarily because AS has such a strong hold on the northwest. UA is a shadow of it's former self on these routes, Delta pulled out, and Virgin America is starting up. Throw in token services by JetBlue and it just gets to be a bit much for WN to fight for.

I do think we'll eventually see them do so, but with the plethora of one-stops via RNO, SMF, SJC, OAK, etc, you really are only a short stopover away from being nonstop anyhow. While I'm atypical, I actually enjoy the little stopover excursion - we've been to RNO and SMF most recently (same plane - just stop and go) and I liked it.  

-Dave
-Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos