QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:29 am

With today's announcement of VX opening PDX with flights out of LAX/SFO, why is it that WN does not have any nonstop flights from LAX to PDX or SEA, let alone any airport in Southern California to PDX/SEA?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

AS739BSI

RE: Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am

LAX/SFO-SEA You have VX, AS, and UA. With three competitors, you would be competing for already tough players in the market. Although LAX-SEA might see an opening since UA has already reduced it to CR7 and reducing frequency. However, AS already has SEA-SoCal covered and good name recognition at SEA.

PlanesNTrains

RE: Why No WN Nonstop LAX-PDX/SEA?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 am

I think it's primarily because AS has such a strong hold on the northwest. UA is a shadow of it's former self on these routes, Delta pulled out, and Virgin America is starting up. Throw in token services by JetBlue and it just gets to be a bit much for WN to fight for.

I do think we'll eventually see them do so, but with the plethora of one-stops via RNO, SMF, SJC, OAK, etc, you really are only a short stopover away from being nonstop anyhow. While I'm atypical, I actually enjoy the little stopover excursion - we've been to RNO and SMF most recently (same plane - just stop and go) and I liked it.  

-Dave
-Dave