AT
Topic Author

KHI- 7L/25R: Still In Operation?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm

I was wondering if Karachi's original main runway, 7L/25R, is ever used, and even functional?
In the last decade, every flight I have taken off and landed on has been on the newer runway 7R/25L, and I haven't spotted anything using the older runway either. Is it even still certified?

Related, I have wondered why the second/newer runway was even built, as the air traffic at KHI is too low to necessitate parallel ops, and the two runways are almost the same length as each other. The newer one is a bit closer to the terminal but not by that much.

Does anyone know or have info or thoughts? As always, look forward to the informative replies!

imiakhtar

RE: KHI- 7L/25R: Still In Operation?

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

Quoting AT (Thread starter):
I was wondering if Karachi's original main runway, 7L/25R, is ever used, and even functional?

It is functional.

Is it even still certified?

Yes

Related, I have wondered why the second/newer runway was even built, as the air traffic at KHI is too low to necessitate parallel ops, and the two runways are almost the same length as each other. The newer one is a bit closer to the terminal but not by that much.

Does anyone know or have info or thoughts? As always, look forward to the informative replies!

I believe 7L/25R has a much lower pavement loading than 7R/25L and as such is limited to the use of turboprops and general aviation aircraft.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?