New China Routes

Tue Oct 10, 2000 12:14 pm

I read that The Department of Transportation was going to hand them out in August. August has passed and still no decision. I also want to know which airline(s) will get the routes.

RE: New China Routes

Tue Oct 10, 2000 7:44 pm

Delta airlines is a strong contender 
.....up there with the best!

Tue Oct 10, 2000 9:07 pm

Airmale, I hope your right as I want Delta to get them, although I hear UPS is the favorite unfortunately.......

Its believed that the cargo side of the house is more lucrative than a passenger/cargo mix....

Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:38 pm

It is really a tight bid:

American may not have the best bid from ORD because United already has the routes plugged up. They should shift the proposal to SJC and they might have a really good change.

Delta has a good bid and as of now, I would tend to think that they have the strongest pax bid.

UPS does have a very strong support among congress and the Teamsters. But, UPS already flies throughout that part of the world through a hub in Hong Kong. Maybe its time to let someone else have a chance.

I really think that they all have very strong bids when they are broken down. As to when the award will come down, who knows?
UPS Pilot

Here We Go Again

Tue Oct 10, 2000 11:24 pm

Throughout that part of the world? Hong Kong while being turned over to the Chinese is quite some distance to Beijing, Shanghai or other large markets in China. UPS can fly to Hong Kong but then the freight has to be off loaded and put on an other carriers plane, truck or boat. This is then delivered to "Mainland" China. This adds extra time and transit and also added cost to UPS.

Why should Fed Ex enjoy a monopoly on China?

Passenger yields are down to and from China while cargo traffic is booming!

China's entrance into the WTO will only increase trade thus increase the need for more freighters between the US and China.

There are already mulitiple passenger carriers serving China. Why should another passenger carrier get the routes when the planes they are flying to China and back are not full in the first place?