globalflyer
Topic Author

EK Announces New Service To IAD

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Emirates has announced a new service effective September 12th from DXB-IAD.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/emirat...aunch-washington-dc-120000601.html
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

UAL777UK

RE: EK Announces New Service To IAD

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Wow. So it is IAD. I personally thought ORD or MIA would be first but they are going head to head with UA and to a degree QR.

Interesting to see how all this plays out.

Quokkas

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

So the Oman Times was right on that one.

One down one more to go this year. ORD next?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm

What are they using? 77W I guess?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

behramjee

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I hope people working in Etihad Airways realize that this announcement by Emirates is purposely done due to a major goof up by Etihad as you do not announce a new long haul route such as AUH-IAD one year in advance thus giving your direct competition such as EK/TK/QR to plan what actions are required to counter the EY entry into the market in terms of frequency/capacity increase.

Emirates is now launching IAD a full 6 months before Etihad does thus giving them ample lead time to get corporate/consolidator contracts in place and take away a good chunk of the market from EY!

The EK IAD schedule is similar to its DFW service! Starting September 12th, EK 231 will leave Dubai daily at 2:20 am and arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) at 8:50 am. EK 232 will depart Dulles at 10:55 am arriving in Dubai at 8:00 am the following day.

Quokkas

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Quoting Chrisba777er (Reply 3):

What are they using? 77W I guess?

Yes, 77W with 8P, 42J and 304Y

EK231 DXB 02:20 IAD 08:50
EK232 IAD 10:55 DXB 08:00+1

[Edited 2012-03-15 05:28:58]

FSDan

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 4):
I hope people working in Etihad Airways realize that this announcement by Emirates is purposely done due to a major goof up by Etihad as you do not announce a new long haul route such as AUH-IAD one year in advance thus giving your direct competition such as EK/TK/QR to plan what actions are required to counter the EY entry into the market in terms of frequency/capacity increase.

Emirates is now launching IAD a full 6 months before Etihad does thus giving them ample lead time to get corporate/consolidator contracts in place and take away a good chunk of the market from EY!

The EK IAD schedule is similar to its DFW service! Starting September 12th, EK 231 will leave Dubai daily at 2:20 am and arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) at 8:50 am. EK 232 will depart Dulles at 10:55 am arriving in Dubai at 8:00 am the following day.

That gives a nice choice of times to passengers. The UA flight leaves IAD after 1800.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Gabrielz

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:38 pm

This is going to be EK's Waterloo. I predict the route never makes money and is abandoned within 24 months.

DC isn't a big market, and without government business (which requires a US codeshare) it's a very very small market. UA's hub at IAD is really hard to crack because of the government business, and EK doesn't have what it takes.

Plus with the new hard product and enhanced mileage plus, I'd say EK's product advantage has shrunk substantially against an invigorated (and cash-rich) UA.

I'm guessing there will be some sweet deals on tickets for the next year though.  

-G

behramjee

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Quoting gabrielz (Reply 7):
This is going to be EK's Waterloo. I predict the route never makes money and is abandoned within 24 months.

DC isn't a big market, and without government business (which requires a US codeshare) it's a very very small market. UA's hub at IAD is really hard to crack because of the government business, and EK doesn't have what it takes.

Plus with the new hard product and enhanced mileage plus, I'd say EK's product advantage has shrunk substantially against an invigorated (and cash-rich) UA.

I'm guessing there will be some sweet deals on tickets for the next year though.

your above statements are not relevant to Emirates at all but rather to Etihad as EK does not need government traffic support help from IAD as they will get a lot of high yielding business traffic from Africa, DXB, Saudi Arabia, India, DAC and CMB on board their IAD service as well as a lot of VFR economy class traffic from these markets as well. IAD-Africa. This IAD schedule of EK is perfect for 2 way connections via DXB to ADD/JNB/NBO all of which high volume markets from Washington DC. Plus note that EK's flight from IAD to BGW/BSR (massive yield) is connected nicely with a short transit in DXB!

tayser

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Where are they likely to get transit pax through to? India? Africa? Surely flying westward from IAD to East Asia (where most US carriers already have a decent route network) is preferable to via DXB?

I suppose the EK phenomenon is relatively "new" to the US and it might sucker-punch a few people flying to East Asia via DXB.

anyhow, carry on   

something

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I don't know what type of deals and contracts EY has already worked out with IAD businesses and partners, but if they alone can't pay for most of the flight, they might as well nip this inevitable economic failure in the bud and withdraw from IAD before ever commencing operations there.

I wouldn't mind seeing them redeploy the gorgeous A345 to AUH-MEX, or something creative like AUH-MAO-LIM. Alas, this is not going to happen.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

jfk777

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 pm

So who is next ? Miami, Chicago or Boston ?

rogercamel

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Quoting tayser (Reply 9):
Where are they likely to get transit pax through to? India? Africa? Surely flying westward from IAD to East Asia (where most US carriers already have a decent route network) is preferable to via DXB?

Africa primarily. EK has a pretty extensive network to Africa (from memory about 20 destinations, though I could be well wrong)

Flying to East Asia it is generally better to go west, unless you are heading down to SE Asia (e.g. SIN KUL CGK etc) when it becomes almost equal in terms of flight time.

washingtonian

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 pm

DC isn't a big market, and without government business (which requires a US codeshare) it's a very very small market. UA's hub at IAD is really hard to crack because of the government business, and EK doesn't have what it takes

This is unfair. QR does well here, AF does GREAT here, ditto for BA, LH, etc. It's a large, wealthy market with extensive global contacts. More importantly, Emirates had to arrive here sooner or later for various prestige reasons.

behramjee

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Where EK will succeed in IAD is getting Africa and India bound traffic versus EY who cannot capture this type of traffic because their flights do not connect via AUH to NBO/JNB and they use A320s to India so huge capacity bottleneck situation.

IAD-Africa is huge volume i.e. IAD-ADD alone is bigger than IAD-PAK + IAD-CMB + IAD-DAC combined together. Plus also note that with the SPA with Fly Dubai, EK will capture a lot of traffic bound to Central Asia and Kabul on board its flights.

Africa-IAD market size in 2011 was:

ADD 60,000
JNB 40,000
NBO 40,000
CAI 30,000
LOS 20,000
CPT 15,000
KRT 10,000
DAR 10,000

Also note in 2011, 60,000 pax flew DXB-IAD-DXB alone so with EK nonstop service there shall be market stimulation for sure.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 8):
This IAD schedule of EK is perfect for 2 way connections via DXB to ADD/JNB/NBO all of which high volume markets from Washington DC. Plus note that EK's flight from IAD to BGW/BSR (massive yield) is connected nicely with a short transit in DXB!

These are already better served by TK, ET, among others. EK will be competing with them.

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 12):
Africa primarily. EK has a pretty extensive network to Africa (from memory about 20 destinations, though I could be well wrong)
Quoting behramjee (Reply 14):
Africa-IAD market size in 2011 was:

Why would the WAS market go out if its way to get to Africa when there are already plenty of more competitive options?

Quoting behramjee (Reply 14):
IAD-ADD alone is bigger than

It has an ET nonstop that isn't even full  
E pur si muove -Galileo

flyyul

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:34 pm

so I guess Qatar is going to suffer big-time on IAD-DOH

hhslax2

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Don't forget that the average American does not fit in the 10 abreast Y seats. I'm 5'9" about 175 and I don't fit in them.

KFlyer

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Rather than arguing on schedules/market catchment alone - never forget EK's marketing prowess!
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

UAL777UK

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Quoting hhslax2 (Reply 17):
Don't forget that the average American does not fit in the 10 abreast Y seats. I'm 5'9" about 175 and I don't fit in them.

If UA felt the need they ccould market that to ther advantage..........maybe?

behramjee

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Quoting flyyul (Reply 16):
so I guess Qatar is going to suffer big-time on IAD-DOH

no QR wont suffer "big time" with EK entering because QR has UA's feeder support at IAD which EK does not and that is massive. Plus EKs IAD flights do not connect ISB/KTM and LHE in either direction so that will help QR quite a bit along with its extensive Iran network.

QR already has a well established presence at IAD and wont be hurt as much as EY shall be as AA lacks adequate feed at IAD with the planned schedule of EY.

EY is better off using the A345 to DFW compared to IAD!

solarflyer22

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm

I really don't know why EY did that and I think they'd be the big loser in this market.

That's great. Let's hope for some cheap fares. Someone definitely needs to start a long haul from ORD. Royal Jordianian was there but there are a lot of Indians descendants in the Chicago area that I am sure fly eastward once a year.

HB-IWC

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 11):
So who is next ? Miami, Chicago or Boston ?
Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 21):
Someone definitely needs to start a long haul from ORD

I am pretty sure that EK will also announce ORD for 2012. It may even start before IAD. The sudden IAD announcement was provoked by EY's reckless announcement of AUH IAD. ORD had been planned to be launched first at EK, and it will likely still happen. I also predict that MIA and BOS will follow in 2013.

Quoting behramjee (Reply 20):
QR already has a well established presence at IAD

IAD is arguably QR's best performing North American route and it had been earmarked for A380 deployment. The arrival of both EK and EY at IAD may change plans in that regard, but QR will likely continue to do well at IAD.

washingtonian

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 22):
IAD is arguably QR's best performing North American route and it had been earmarked for A380 deployment.

Indeed. I've seen passengers flying United IAD-JFK to connect to QR at JFK (to then go on to India via Doha). I could only imagine they were booked like this because QR's IAD-Doha flight was full...

IADLHR

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 22):
IAD is arguably QR's best performing North American route and it had been earmarked for A380 deployment. The arrival of both EK and EY at IAD may change plans in that regard, but QR will likely continue to do well at IAD.

That is really interesting. If memory serves me correctly, didnt IAD-DOH start out a very, very weak performer?

chopchop767

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Quoting KFlyer (Reply 18):
Rather than arguing on schedules/market catchment alone - never forget EK's marketing prowess!

Especially, out of IAD, UA surely benefits from the Fly American Act. Now, obviously, not all, not even a majority of traffic out of IAD is Gov't travel, but this helps UA to the Middle East. I just noticed in Hemispheres on the flight from MUC to IAD earlier in the week, that UA is planning on adding Doha as an add on to Dubai. Surely, the Gov't's travel requirements to Doha are at least partially responsible for this. So, while Emirates has marketing, UA has a captive market.

That said, I hope UA is deploying the refurbished interiors on these routes. Just flew J from MUC to IAD and those seats are really showing their age. Maybe Emirates will make UA move a little faster with the upgrades; not holding my breath though.
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

globalflyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Interesting as EK have been to ATL to recruit for pilots. Could be just a road trip across the USA? ATL would break DL's monopoly and I hear it is one of their most profitable routes.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

jfk777

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

That is the US Government Business, what about the business of the government of teh UAE ? Emirates will carry that traffic. With all the expanding commercial ties and investment in the USA by the UAE EK will be fine with no US government traffic.

The connecting traffic to India and Africa will fill the economy cabin. EK has its formula down and it works all over the USA why would Dulles be so different ?

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Quoting globalflyer (Reply 26):
Interesting as EK have been to ATL to recruit for pilots. Could be just a road trip across the USA? ATL would break DL's monopoly and I hear it is one of their most profitable routes.

I doubt both carries could co-exist on that route.
It is what it is...

Quokkas

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:55 pm

In the interests of reducing speculation, Emirates regularly conduct seminars and recruitment drives in various cities around the world. This does not indicate an immediate interest in opening up a route.

If EK wishes to recruit pilots, it makes sense to have recruitment sessions in cities where large numbers of pilots work. This means that the likely numbers attending will be greater but it does not mean that the particular location is going to be next on the list of new routes.

The same applies for cabin crew. EK is a global carrier in the sense that it connects people in many countries who speak different languages so they recruit globally. Sometimes the list of languages spoken on a particular flight can run to fifteen or twenty.

In the next financial year, EK intends to recruit some 450 pilots, 4,500 cabin crew and 50+ additional support staff. Starting by advertising where there is a large number of pilots makes sense.

ASA

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 2):
So the Oman Times was right on that one.

Indeed! All the speculation in the last thread finally gave this! I remember one poster in the last thread mentioned that EK had employment positions open for IAD - which was a good sign (in retrospect) 

Just throwing out a curve ball ... is it possible that it is actually SEA that will be axed? If the poor bookings continue, maybe they'll just stop that station and divert the metal to the IAD service?

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 12):

TK has an extensive Africa network too. Especially, with the customized 739 ERs being delivered as we speak, they are opening up a lot of new stations with higher frequencies. So, QR/EK/TK will flight it out in IAD ... too late, EY!

Quoting behramjee (Reply 20):
EY is better off using the A345 to DFW compared to IAD!

klwright69

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 27):

That is the US Government Business, what about the business of the government of teh UAE ? Emirates will carry that traffic. With all the expanding commercial ties and investment in the USA by the UAE EK will be fine with no US government traffic.

Actually, the capital of the UAE is Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. The US embassy in AUH is only about a 20 minute drive from AUH airport also.

[Edited 2012-03-15 10:21:07]

mcogator

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting hhslax2 (Reply 17):

That's odd. I'm 6'5 245lbs and I fit in them. It's not terribly comfortable, but I fit.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

Quokkas

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 31):
Actually, the capital of the USA is Abu Dhabi

You may want to tell Obama that. Clearly you meant UAE.  

CO787EWR

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):
TK has an extensive Africa network too. Especially, with the customized 739 ERs being delivered as we speak, they are opening up a lot of new stations with higher frequencies. So, QR/EK/TK will flight it out in IAD ... too late, EY!

What is custom about them?

c680

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting globalflyer (Thread starter):

Falling on Sword: I said this was the last place they would start service based upon UA 2x, EY, SV, QR, SA, ET service to the Mid East / Africa from IAD.

I was WRONG.

EK is the Borg of airlines.

[Edited 2012-03-15 10:21:37]
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

mogandoCI

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 31):

Actually, the capital of the UAE is Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. The US embassy in AUH is only about a 20 minute drive from AUH airport also.

DXB is only 72mi away from AUH ... it's not LGA/JFK close, but it's a reasonable alternative airport even for pax bound for Abu Dhabi. Just about the same distance as using Buffalo instead of Toronto.

klwright69

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 35):
Quoting globalflyer (Thread starter):

Falling on Sword: I said this was the last place they would start service based upon SA)">UA 2x, EY, SV, QR, SA, ET service to the Mid East / Africa from IAD.

I was WRONG.

Exactly... They don't care about the competition. They are a monstrosity in their own right.

MAV88

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Which airline and/or routes do you think will ultimately fail on IAD-Middle East? It seems like a ton of lift to have daily IAD-DXB on EK, daily IAD-DOH on QR, daily IAD-AUH on EY, plus IAD-DXB, IAD-DOH, IAD-BAH and IAD-KWI on UA.

I am hoping Miami is their next destination.

chopchop767

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting MAV88 (Reply 38):
Which airline and/or routes do you think will ultimately fail on IAD-Middle East?

I don't think any of these will necessarily fail. I just went through Dulles customs on Tuesday and noticed that there were two huge tour groups who, from the looks of it, had visited Israel, Jordan and Turkey. They had cabin luggage tags for QR and TK and they were all connecting from Dulles to other cities in Virginia and Tennessee. I suspect the same is true for UA's Middle East routes, although this was the afternoon, so I didn't see their connecting pax. From the looks of it, the tourist markets from the South Eastern USA, is easily fed through Dulles. Could have just been that single day, but I suspect there are many tour operators utilizing these flights.
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

something

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 pm

But how much UAE gov't traffic is there really? I am to this day flabbergasted as to how the USA has not yet gone bankrupt yet. They let everybody fly at their expense. Every diplomat or embassy or honorary consulate employee with all of their employees; every contracted industry (ie, every Northrop employee when travelling on business) etc. Plus obviously all of the army personnel which outnumbers that of the UAE by quite a bit.

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):
TK has an extensive Africa network too. Especially, with the customized 739 ERs being delivered as we speak

And IST is arguably a much bigger destination airport, than Dubai. An A332 also has less seats to fill than a 772LR. Besides, TK offers much more connections than EK especially to secondary or tertiary markets and if the price is right, people will even fly them to Europe and backtrack to Greece, Italy etc.

Quokkas

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting chopchop767 (Reply 39):
had visited Israel, Jordan and Turkey.

If passengers are doing what might be described as a "holy lands tour", options via DXB are probably not that attractive from the US due to the need to back track, unless a particular itinerary offers a time advantage. I strongly doubt that they would be looking towards TLV bound clients given that they don't serve Israel and there is the little tiff that occurred following Israeli agents travelling on forged documents and committing a murder in DXB. From the eastern half of the US, EK is possibly looking towards GCC countries, Africa and the sub continent.

Quoting something (Reply 40):
They let everybody fly at their expense.

But not always on US metal. Sometimes there is a need to fly beyond destinations offered by US carriers. Did I mention how I came upon Buzz Aldrin in the lounge at DXB? Why was he there? Because it was the best way for him and other people to visit troops on the ground in various battle zones.

something

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 41):
They let everybody fly at their expense.

But not always on US metal.

No, there is a lot of cooperating airlines and airlines they are not allowed to fly on (like Azerbaijan Airlines for instance). But I would assume that if both, UA and EK are flying IAD-DXB, UA will get the US gov't business which is much larger in size than the UAE gov't business EK will get.

klwright69

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 36):

DXB is only 72mi away from AUH ... it's not LGA/JFK close, but it's a reasonable alternative airport even for pax bound for Abu Dhabi. Just about the same distance as using Buffalo instead of Toronto.

Of course...But given that there will be nonstops to AUH from IAD, AUH is more convenient than DXB no matter how you slice it when we are talking about the US embassy in AUH. One drives right past AUH airport on the way to Dubai.

I doubt EY will back out of the IAD route once it gets going, there are in it for the long haul. There is plenty of traffic over the long term.

I don't know why some insist DEN is on any kind of a short list for EK. The simple answer to that one is, "NO."

I do not believe EK's timing had any influence from EY's move on this market. I think both carriers had IAD in the pipeline.

ASA

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting CO787EWR (Reply 34):

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):

What is custom about them?

Sorry, wrong choice of words. I didn't mean a Boeing custom job on the aircraft mechanics ... just 'customized' for their high-frequency and business class oriented operation (layout 16J 135Y).

And IST is arguably a much bigger destination airport, than Dubai. An A332 also has less seats to fill than a 772LR. Besides, TK offers much more connections than EK especially to secondary or tertiary markets and if the price is right, people will even fly them to Europe and backtrack to Greece, Italy etc.

Certainly. TK's extensive operations throughout Africa, Balkans, Central Asia, Levant, and Eastern Europe should generate enough feed for its IAD operation. In additon, the local IST market is always there. I won't be surprised if they upgrade it to a 77W in the future.

contrails67

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm glad that EK has arrived at IAD and am looking forward to EY as well since my only experience traveling from IAD has been on QR. Taking into account the departure and arrivals to DXB as well as my connecting flights' departure and arrival as well, it will be at least a 12 hour wait in DXB. Does anyone know whether EK provides free hotel accomodations for connecting passengers with a waiting duration of this length? How about EY?

thanks,
Contrails67

IrishAyes

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting MAV88 (Reply 38):
IAD-BAH and IAD-KWI on UA.

These operate as a consolidated flight: IAD-KWI-BAH.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

aviationbuff08

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 28):
Quoting globalflyer (Reply 26):

I doubt both carries could co-exist on that route.

Well I say let EK work on expanding their USA market share in IAD, ORD, MIA, SEA, IAH and leave DL's route DXB alone.

I have wondered to myself how DL's DXB route will perform once the US military is withdrawn from Afganistan in the coming years. Would there still be enough traffic of private contractors with the oil & other industries going to the middle east region at that time.

yellowtail

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):
Just throwing out a curve ball ... is it possible that it is actually SEA that will be axed? If the poor bookings continue, maybe they'll just stop that station and divert the metal to the IAD service?

SEA loads are poor?
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

ASA

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 48):
SEA loads are poor?

Don't shoot the messenger ...    ... that's the gist I got from this thread and the previous.

Can anyone share some details? Thanks!

[Edited 2012-03-15 14:26:24]