Concorde From The Inside........

Tue Oct 10, 2000 12:54 pm

As many of you know I work at a pilot supply store close to LAX. I have meet some very cool people in there ranging from Harrison Ford, to a Russain Cosmonaut. But yesterday I had an Air France capt come in, and he flew the Concorde for 9 years! He told me that it was a great plane to fly. He said it flew like a fighter Jet! He claims taking Concorde into Kai Tak was much easier then a 744. He also was telling me if you do not lower your nose your gear will not come down. Also that when the Concorde takes off it climbs as fast as 10,500 feet per minute intially! But he also told me he doubts the concorde will fly again, but hopes it does!
Iain

Granite

RE: Concorde From The Inside........

Tue Oct 10, 2000 4:43 pm

Hi

I will agree on the climb rate.

When I flew in it back in 1992 on take off you really are forced back into your seat on the climb-out.

Another great feeling is when the afterburners kick in. The pilot told us to wait for the two jolts then we will know when they were up and running  

Regards

Gary Watt

Mr.BA

Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:07 pm

Hi,

All I have to say is the Concorde is a damn good plane. I won't want to see it grounded. I'm hopeful it will fly again...

Just my thoughts,
Alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

David L

Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:39 am

I have more doubts about Air France getting their Concordes flying again as they were less profitable than BA's (as far as I know) and they were planning to retire them in about 6 years anyway. But I'm confident BA are doing everything they can. Before the accident they had planned a major refurbishment and another 15-odd years of profitable service. And don't forget the prestige factor, even if the new costs cancel out future profit.

It's good to hear the myth about Concorde being a nightmare to fly at low speed. In many ways it outperforms conventional jetliners at low speed.

OA269

Wed Oct 11, 2000 4:58 pm

I personally like it as the fastest civil aircraft.I consider it safe still despite the accident happened.If you deal with aviation you will have heard that the specific accident happened because a metallic piece was droped from a previous aircraft to the runaway.That piece came to the wheels of the Concorde which threw it to one of the engines and because engines in Concorde are in pairs both started a fire.So it hasn't to do with maintenance.I'm sorry for people lost because for me it was a very unlucky occation:none saw the metallic piece,both engines caught fire,plus the pilot couldn't keep the plane due to taking off=max power so the aircraft turned over.

OA269

Thu Oct 12, 2000 3:45 am

You have the fects around the wrong way a bit. The metal bit from another aircraft peiced the tire causing it to blow. When the tire blew and some of the rubber (and maybe the metal) pieced the fuel tank, which caught fire, not the engines!
Iain

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos