Type-Rated

Southwest HOU To South America? Yes!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 pm

A news report on television said that Southwest Airlines has been in talks with the Houston city airport management about adding an international terminal at HOU. It stated that Southwest said they intended to start flights to the Caribbean and South America if they can get the facilities. The airport system manager thinks it would be a great idea. There is a proposal being created to be discussed on May 9 to determine the feasibility of it all.
However, Gordon Bethune thinks adding an international terminal to HOU would fracture the city and break the air travel economic boon the city is now enjoying.

The story hasn't made it to the news website yet, I'll post the link when it does.

What do you make of this?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

kc135topboom

RE: Southwest HOU To South America? Yes!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 pm

But HOU isn't the international airport in Houston, IAH is. WN just doesn't want to use IAH because it is more expensive. Seems to me the City of Houston can cut a deal with WN on their international flying.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 pm

I saw it on the local ABC local 13 station and they are to show more this evening.

I'm "torn" on the subject. I have discussed the issue with people at Co/UA and WN and am still weighing both sides. I'd be interested to see the study results (and methodology).

Would it dilute the large UA (and other foreign carrier) presence at IAH or would it mainly stimulate more int'l traffic and provide more connections to places to AUS and DAL and OKC via WN causing both airports to flourish.

I haven't decided yet
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

usflyguy

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 pm

If it doesn't happen at HOU, it will go to a different city and I'm sure the airport system and city don't want that...

BTW... New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, and S Florida all have more than one "international" airport.

[Edited 2012-03-16 16:02:57]
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

Type-Rated

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 pm

I expected maybe some Caribbean service and maybe Cancun from Southwest, but not South America.
The airport system which must approve adding customs to HOU seems happy with the idea. Now the question is who is going to pay for the International Terminal.
And why do they need an international terminal, wouldn't a handful of segregated gates do just fine in the current terminal?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bjorn14

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm

HOU was at some point in the near future going to get FIS (possibly EFD too) so this is just a natural extension. I see Mr. Bethune's heart is still in Houston, not Honolulu.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

hhslax2

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 4):
And why do they need an international terminal, wouldn't a handful of segregated gates do just fine in the current terminal?

They probably want to ensure the ability for future expansion. Plus, most of the flights would probably arrive around the same time, so a handful of gates may not be enough for their initial strategy.

yellowtail

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 am

I expected maybe some Caribbean service and maybe Cancun from Southwest, but not South America.

Are you kidding...this will not be a token effort....you need to look only to IAH and UA and (at the range of the 73G/8s) and see which markets WN would go after...remember WN has a lot of possible feed at IAH

MEX, CUN, MTY, GDL, GUA, SAL, SAP, BZE, TGU, PTY, SJO, MGA, POS, BOG, MDE, POS, KIN, MBJ etc etc...
Houston makes an ideal connecting hub.......centrally located
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

steeler83

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 3):
If it doesn't happen at HOU, it will go to a different city and I'm sure the airport system and city don't want that...

BTW... New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, and S Florida all have more than one "international" airport.

If they don't go with HOU, then I suppose they could make a run at something out of FLL or MCO...

I imagine WN would use 738s to fly Caribbean and S. American routes from either local... I know AA flies to some northern S. American destinations wit the 738, or at least I think they do (unless I'm wrong and that they're 757s). Wait, I know CO flies IAH-South America with 738s...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

yellowtail

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 8):
If they don't go with HOU, then I suppose they could make a run at something out of FLL or MCO...

They are not interested in FLL for intl as of right now...ditto for MCO

crAAzy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:33 am

A lot of "ifs" for HOU and would people really pony up the money for a new international teminal when they have IAH?

While SA seems like a natural growth place for WN as it's US market has matured, but HOU seems like the ideal place for SW to launch South American Service. However, this still seems like years in the making if it's going to happen at HOU so I'll believe it when I see it.

drerx7

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 am

Well, remember the master plan at HOU calls for an east concourse. Its supposed to go in the place of the old A concourse.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

aer

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:45 am

If HOU doesn't go, would SAT or MSY?
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

aznmadsci

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 am

I guess my first question would be where would they build this "international terminal"? I could see it as a concourse where the old A concourse used to be. Those continuing on to domestic flights could then end up going through security at the main security area.

While it would affect IAH & UA, I think it would take passengers away from carriers like Vivaaerobus and possibly AM and TA. Also while not as cheap, they can definitely poach some of Spirit's customers .

If this all happens, it might actually make me want to take a visit out to HOU a few years from now!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

varigb707

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:56 am

Quoting type-rated (Thread starter):
Southwest said they intended to start flights to the Caribbean and South America

Where would they fly from Houston to South America, using a 737?
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

ScottB

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:04 am

The story hasn't made it to the news website yet, I'll post the link when it does.

If anyone is interested, the Channel 13 story is here: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8584407

I wouldn't take the phrasing "international terminal" in a news story any more literally than one would take "runway" or "tarmac." IIRC the master plan for the airport includes another concourse on or near the footprint of the now-demolished Concourse A; that new concourse would likely incorporate international gates.

However, Gordon Bethune thinks adding an international terminal to HOU would fracture the city and break the air travel economic boon the city is now enjoying.

I don't exactly understand how international service from HOU "fracture[s]" the city any more than the multiple business districts like Downtown, the West Loop/Galleria, or Woodlands Town Center. It would, however, force CO to compete for international traffic (to Mexico/Central America/near South America/Caribbean) from Houston, which is the real issue.

The airport system which must approve adding customs to HOU seems happy with the idea. Now the question is who is going to pay for the International Terminal.

IMO if WN wants an international facility at HOU, they should be the ones paying for it (along with any other carriers which might want to use it).

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
WN just doesn't want to use IAH because it is more expensive.

WN doesn't want to use IAH for international service because they have no presence at IAH; they'd have to fill flights entirely with O&D traffic. At HOU, they have over 130 daily flights to help feed any potential international service.

ATL

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:07 am

So that would be the first time Southwest flies out of the US? Mhm... Why was not doing so up until now beneficial for them? And why isn't it anymore?

thomasphoto60

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting Varigb707 (Reply 14):

Likely some of the same places that CO........er....UA flies 737s to S.AM from IAH.
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 am

probably could get as far as LIM.

There are some huge markets in LatAm from HOU......i bet they are looking at UAs MSY-IAH-SAP loads and just salivating....

OB1504

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 8):

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 9):
They are not interested in FLL for intl as of right now...ditto for MCO

Even if they were interested in FLL, the only terminal with international gates is on the opposite side of Southwest's terminal, and it's already being used to capacity by Spirit and other airlines' international flights. In terms of arrivals, it's a madhouse between 6 and 7 PM, when every international gate is occupied.

DfwRevolution

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 am

Quoting ATL (Reply 16):
So that would be the first time Southwest flies out of the US? Mhm... Why was not doing so up until now beneficial for them? And why isn't it anymore?

Because adding international capabilities increases their overhead costs. To date, WN has stayed focused on the U.S. market because they have had enough growth opportunities that there has been no reason to go international.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):
IMO if WN wants an international facility at HOU, they should be the ones paying for it (along with any other carriers which might want to use it).

I wouldn't put it past WN if the airport starts dragging its heels. WN planned to finance the construction of the BFI terminal they proposed around 2005.

DariusBieber

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting aer (Reply 12):

That would be my guess. Both of them are already deemed an international airport with Customs. However, DAL may also be an option for WN, once 2014 comes around with the end of the Wright Amendment.
Darius Bieber

FWAERJ

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:35 am

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 21):
However, DAL may also be an option for WN, once 2014 comes around with the end of the Wright Amendment.

Per the Wright phase-out, DAL is restricted to domestic flights. All international passenger traffic in/out of the Metroplex must use DFW.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

ATLgaUSA

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:38 am

That would be my guess. Both of them are already deemed an international airport with Customs. However, DAL may also be an option for WN, once 2014 comes around with the end of the Wright Amendment.

Neither New Orleans nor San Antonio have the corporate base necessary to sustain international operations to multiple cities. Southwest will use a city with substantial O&D to many South American cities as its South American jumping off point. It'll be some combination of LAX, PHX, HOU, MCO, and/or FLL. I would also expect a number of MDW-Mexico flights. New Orleans and San Antonio may get a one-off flight to Cancun or, in the case of New Orleans, San Pedro Sula, but neither city will see multiple international departures per day.

totesen

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 am

Well SAT, is already begining international expansion on behalf of Southwest,Air Tran is opening Mexico City and Cancun, this year from San Antonio.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

mayor

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:19 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 7):
remember WN has a lot of possible feed at IAH

Actually, they don't......they don't fly out of IAH but HOU......unless that was a typo
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

LipeGIG

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:35 am

CCS and BOG as oil markets (the first more consolidated)
But they can't reach GIG.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

SXDFC

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:21 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 26):
But they can't reach GIG.

Would be interesting if they were looking at giving Rio some LUV..

Kinda curious to know if a decent amount of folks in Brazil, and in other parts of S.America even know of Southwest?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

QANTAS747-438

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:12 am

Huh? How?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Concordski

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:37 am

I could see west-origin traffic funneling through HOU and east-origin traffic funneling through ATL for caribbean, central america, and south america. Could work.

LipeGIG

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 27):
Would be interesting if they were looking at giving Rio some LUV..

Kinda curious to know if a decent amount of folks in Brazil, and in other parts of S.America even know of Southwest?

Some know, but more business people. Southwest history (specially the profits history) is very interesting.

About going to deep South America, only if they want to take advantage of some traffic rights (the same for example as GOL will use to fly 738's thru CCS to MIA)
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am

Southwest will not move to IAH if they cant get this they will simply fly out of another city. They want to have connections so there are other options but geographically since they want HOU i bet its Mexico they are after for HOU. I agree if WN is gonna go after this market i bet they multi prong approach it with SAT/HOU/PHX/LAX for Mexico keeping using ATL and more MCO/FLL for the caribean or something like that.

Maybe they have decided that Hawaii is too long and low fare and allegiant might lower fares quite a bit more. AS has done a good job making it less attractive to enter from the second tier west coast airports also.

par13del

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:45 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 2):
Would it dilute the large UA (and other foreign carrier) presence at IAH

The authorities would have to define their turf and priorities, be it the airport, airlines or regional authorities. A shitf in traffic is a shift in traffic, the majority of folks using UA etc. are not switching to WN, so there will be some stimulation in traffic as well as some shift for convenience travellers.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):
WN doesn't want to use IAH for international service because they have no presence at IAH; they'd have to fill flights entirely with O&D traffic. At HOU, they have over 130 daily flights to help feed any potential international service.

Which make good business sense, another thought that came to mind when first reading the article was the ferry flights to South America for maintenance - have the finally been outsourced? - . As they are flights leaving the US for an international leg, clearance is required, if they leave from DAL they gotta stop somewhere, if they leave from HOU, much simplier. Yes it's a small number of a/c but a penny saved .............

LAXdude1023

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 pm

I think its an excellent idea, but lets keep this in perspective. The notion that WN is going to somehow duplicate UA's network at IAH is absurd. I also think deep South American is out of the question. In reality, what is more likely is are flights to key Mexican and Central American markets. The only South American markets they could really be after would be BOG and maybe LIM, but those would be better served from FLL.

I can see markets like CUN, MEX, GUA, MTY, and two or three others.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 18):
i bet they are looking at UAs MSY-IAH-SAP loads and just salivating....

I seriously doubt it. If there are markets they are excited about from HOU, that certainly isnt one of them.
It is what it is...

STT757

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:08 pm

This is an interesting dilemma for the Houston folks, on one hand they are lucky to have such opportunities for two international airports, on the other hand would that hurt their hometown hub which already moved it's headquarters to Chicago. If done properly HOU and IAH could grow the entire market, much like FLL and MIA, if not one would cannibalize the other.

HOU would make an ideal international gateway for WN, can't believe were are talking International with regards to WN, and would probably lead to WN growing HOU overall. They probably envision something like NK is doing from FLL, Caribbean, Central America and perhaps Colombia.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

aer

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting ATL (Reply 16):

So that would be the first time Southwest flies out of the US?

Yes and no, because flights would be operated by FL for now, since they're the ones with the international certificate (or something)
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

BigGSFO

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm

This is a radical deviation from their proven business model. International bilaterals, unless it's an open skies country, won't allow them to operate their normal (and preferred) frequent schedule. I'm skeptical of this move.

YULWinterSkies

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:43 pm

But HOU isn't the international airport in Houston, IAH is. WN just doesn't want to use IAH because it is more expensive. Seems to me the City of Houston can cut a deal with WN on their international flying.

Well, then it's time that it becomes so. WN annoys UA, so UA is trying whatever they can against them. Having WN operating domestic at HOU and intl at IAH would make no sense at all, especially considering the distance between the two. 30+ miles and 45+ mins, per Google Maps (= I would not try it in real life).

That's b.s. That would bring two intl hubs into the city rather than one now.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 36):
This is a radical deviation from their proven business model. International bilaterals, unless it's an open skies country, won't allow them to operate their normal (and preferred) frequent schedule. I'm skeptical of this move.

Well, I'm not. Leisure travelers will enjoy WN's fine service over any legacy's "service", no matter the flight times.
When I doubt... go running!

point2point

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:59 pm

It seems that it's official that the battle now begins......

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ional-flights-triggers-3414923.php

and it also is reported that...

Mayor Annise Parker and the Houston Airport System director, Mario Diaz, have not publicly picked a side. They say only that they're obligated to listen to Southwest's pitch.

Popcorn time?

edit added - with my quick read, I missed this in the article

Both airlines are threatening to take their business elsewhere if they're on the losing end of what Parker called a "historic" decision that's affected by recent shakeups in the airline industry.

Pretty serious here, eh?

[Edited 2012-03-17 11:08:17]

huxrules

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Houston is certinaly large enough to have international traffic out of both Iah and hou. Wn would have to rebuild all their connections to Iah and that just seems to be a waste. However - if I worked for abia I'd be running over to wn to try to convince them to use AUS as their port to international flights. It already has the customs area (somewhere I never went through) and its a nicer airport than sat or hou. Doubt they would go for it however.

usflyguy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 35):
Quoting point2point (Reply 38):

Empty threat from United as they aren't going to abandon their largest hub that is the best geographical location for a Latin and South American hub. After United spurned Houston with the HQ decision, it's time to return the favor.

AirTran and Southwest are both on the Southwest certificate now, as of March 1.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

AAIL86

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 32):
A shitf in traffic is a shift in traffic, the majority of folks using UA etc. are not switching to WN, so there will be some stimulation in traffic as well as some shift for convenience travellers.

Agreed. WN would likely generate new traffic to Mexico and central America - for example- perhaps family X flew home once every two years to visit relatives but now are willing to go every year if they have a less expensive option with WN. I find it hard to see WN grabbing a huge amount of business traffic from UA without a premium class cabin as at least an option, though.

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 37):
Well, then it's time that it becomes so. WN annoys UA, so UA is trying whatever they can against them. Having WN operating domestic at HOU and intl at IAH would make no sense at all, especially considering the distance between the two. 30+ miles and 45+ mins,

The distance difference at Dallas is even smaller and WN has managed to serve an airport that was slated to be closed in the 1970s for 40 years now (not quite the same- I know since they want to fly internationally from HOU) - but I bet the 'more competition' argument will win out. And speaking of DAL- if WN gets their way about international flying from HOU I wager they'll want DAL next....
Next

rwy04lga

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 12):If HOU doesn't go, would SAT or MSY?
That would be my guess. Both of them are already deemed an international airport with Customs

Any possibility of TPA? Any pros or cons?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

bjorn14

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 38):
Pretty serious here, eh?

UA or WN aren't going anyplace!
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

cjpark

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 pm

And here it starts again. Make another exception we are Southwest.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

dadoftyler

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting cjpark (Reply 44):
And here it starts again. Make another exception we are Southwest.

There is no reason Houston can't support two FIS airports. What's your point? (As if I don't know)

DoT

LOWS

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Where would WN go if they were to move operations to IAH?

FWAERJ

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 40):
After United spurned Houston with the HQ decision, it's time to return the favor.

Different story.

I read once that Glenn Tilton made two conditions for UA/CO merger negotiations: that United was the surviving brand name and that the merged airline would remain "Chicago's Hometown Airline". Everything else was negotiable between Tilton and Smisek.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

mayor

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 37):
Leisure travelers will enjoy WN's fine service over any legacy's "service", no matter the flight times.

I think you might find that those pax that fly international expect more than WN's normal standards of "service". Is WN willing to change that much or will they try to force their tried and true service down the throats of the customers?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:33 pm

First of all, neither the KTRK report, nor the Houston Chronicle's report have WN saying anything about flying to South America from HOU. Both reports indicate that WN is interested in launching some service from here to the Caribbean and Mexico. CUN is the only airport mentioned by name. When you talk about CUN service, or Caribbean service, you are talking about going for leisure markets.
Both reports also mention that WN has said they would pay for the terminal expansion, just as UA is paying to upgrade Terminal B at IAH.
UA's claim that international service at HOU by WN would "damage the economy" is laughable. I'm no WN fanboy, but the only thing this expansion would damage would be UA's profits on flights to some select Mexico destinations. I doubt that WN would want to compete on IAH-AKL or IAH-NRT. I also think, and this is just my opinion, that UA has damaged a bit of their standing locally in Houston by moving the HQ and a lot of very well paying jobs to Chicago. I have friends here that worked for CO, and some took the move to Chicago, and others found different jobs locally to keep their families from being uprooted. It was certainly the right of UA to move those jobs, but they need to realize they are not the golden child of Houston they once were.