Jamake1

Is UA Ending Service At OAK?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:11 am

I've looked on several online sites and there are no UA-operated flights between OAK and DEN beyond July 1. Does anyone have any knowledge of UA deciding to pull the plug on OAK? If so, it would be somewhat sad. UA has a long history of serving OAK that dates back to at least the 1930's.
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

slcdeltarumd11

RE: Is UA Ending Service At OAK?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:41 am

I just tried to book a few dates and nothing also . Remember that southwest has rolled into town with DEN-OAK service 4x day. WN seems to be slowing trying to dominate the DEN-California scene. I dont know they are leaving but with a SFO hub and WN killing yields on o&d to OAK i can see an easy case of why they would want to leave.

I would guess this is when leases end if they are indeed leaving since that is right around one of the busiest times of the year. OAK is WN country. For the legacies Delta still operates Mainline to SLC and US still operates mainline to PHX. Others theres of courseHawaiian, Alaska, Allegiant, Jetblue, SATA, Arkefly, Spirit and Volaris in there. OAK airport seems to be doing overall pretty well its just the legacies are leaving and the LCCs and more niche carriers are taking over.

RWA380

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:55 am

When living in the city earlier this decade, OAK was a great alternative to SFO when flying UA, they had non-stops to ORD & DEN, often times the fares were often much lower than that of SFO, but last time I went to Chicago on business I flew UA out of OAK, flight to ORD was supposed to be a A-319, but became a A-320 a few weeks before departure, it was a Saturday, I routed back via DEN, got the Star Alliance 777-200/ER to DEN than a 735 to OAK, I was in F the entire trip, except the second leg and that was J, as it was an Intl configured plane that came in from AMS operating onto DEN, and I was using 1K upgrades. I was disappointed with the aircraft in and out of OAK, a far cry from the DC-8's, DC-10's & 747's that operated into OAK in the past, it will be sad to see UA leave OAK, guess they sold off or closed all the maintenance there as well?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

warden145

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):
OAK is WN country.

Understatement of the week...WN practically owns OAK, even more so than SJC.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 2):
it will be sad to see UA leave OAK, guess they sold off or closed all the maintenance there as well?

IIRC UA closed/sold their maintenance facilities there quite a while ago.
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm

That would be too bad. CO and AA both pulled out of OAK a few years ago, ending their IAH and DFW flights, respectively (but each kept SJC).

No-one yet has confirmed if UA is actually dropping OAK. Anyone know for sure?

Quoting warden145 (Reply 3):
Understatement of the week...WN practically owns OAK, even more so than SJC.

That's true. WN is by far the largest carrier at both OAK and SJC after AA took a meat cleaver to SJC. AS/QX is a distant second place.

Both OAK and SJC serve very large population bases themselves so I don't always understand why airlines pull down there so much. It isn't just like people want to drive an extra hour to get to SFO. If a member of my family flies out of SFO, they literally drive (or get a ride) right past SJC on Highway 101, then it's another 35+ miles each way in freeway traffic. Same with like AA pulling out of LGB and BUR. If you happen to leave near those airports, it's a huge inconvenience to now have to get to LAX.

wedgetail737

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 2):
I was disappointed with the aircraft in and out of OAK, a far cry from the DC-8's, DC-10's & 747's that operated into OAK in the past

RWA380...How far back are you going with UA's history at OAK? UA has never flown any regularly scheduled equipment larger than the DC-8 or the 757 (unless it was a charter). UA had DC-8's flying OAK-ORD and OAK-HNL quite often. The only widebody pax traffic at OAK were World, Martinair, People Express, Transamerica, CityBird, Corsair and today, Hawaiian Air. Back in the day, OAK was big for 727's, 737's and MD-80's.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 4):
Both OAK and SJC serve very large population bases themselves so I don't always understand why airlines pull down there so much. It isn't just like people want to drive an extra hour to get to SFO. If a member of my family flies out of SFO, they literally drive (or get a ride) right past SJC on Highway 101, then it's another 35+ miles each way in freeway traffic.

WN has been kicking the incumbants out of OAK with their low-cost, high-frequency approach. With the majors concentrating on overseas traffic and pulling domestic traffic, OAK is a big victim of this. With no ORD, DEN and DFW service, I think an airline like Spirit could do well there and really give WN a run for its money. There's plenty of gate space at OAK for significant expansion.

As for SFO, what's changed is BART. Now, SFO is readily accessible to pretty much all corners of the Bay Area without having to drive. Just take BART.

OAK/BART is building a monorail-like system to link OAK with BART's Coliseum Station (I think), but it's just now in the initial stages of construction.

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 5):
Just take BART.

BART doesn't go to the SJC area. You can take Caltrain to Millbrae and connect to BART. That would take awhile. It would take most people in SJC just as long, or longer to get to the Tamien or Cahill St. train stations as it would take to get to SJC itself. Then it's an extra 1 1/2 by the time you get to SFO.

As a side topic, I've noticed that AA doesn't really offer FF seats out of SJC. Everytime my sister tries redeeming AA or AS miles on AA, it's only available out of SFO to anywhere. The SJC-DFW or SJC-LAX flights don't often have availability, but instead offers the award from SFO.

Jetmarc

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Quoting jamake1 (Thread starter):
OAK and DEN beyond July 1

I tried checking UA.com and can't book any OAK-DEN flights beyond June 4th...
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

FWAERJ

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:54 pm

With no ORD, DEN and DFW service, I think an airline like Spirit could do well there and really give WN a run for its money.

NK already serves OAK-LAS, so I could see them giving OAK-ORD/DEN/DFW a try.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

smoot4208

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. I doubt UA or WN makes money on that route.

AADC10

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Withdrawing from OAK makes sense. OAK is dominated by WN and there is little reason to have only one flight to DEN. UA needs to focus on their hub at SFO and forget about marginal airports like OAK. Traffic out of OAK and SJC has been steadily dropping so there is not much of a market to tap into. The Southwest Effect has run its course at those airports. The writing was probably on the wall when they dropped OAK-LAX.

Does anyone have any knowledge of UA deciding to pull the plug on OAK? If so, it would be somewhat sad. UA has a long history of serving OAK that dates back to at least the 1930's.

The most ironic departure was UA removing all mainline service at BUR, an airport that UA built.

N1120A

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 pm

OAK is done for UA. Its too bad too.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 pm

didnt at one time UA have OAK-SFO service? I think I remember how they called it the shortest flight in their system.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 12):

didnt at one time UA have OAK-SFO service? I think I remember how they called it the shortest flight in their system.

Beat me to it! IIRC it was a 722.
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

N1120A

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Yep. Including 747s. They decided to sell their ferry flights to the MX base in OAK.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting darksnowynight (Reply 13):

Beat me to it! IIRC it was a 722.

This has been discussed in other threads. At various times there have been SFO-OAK, SFO-SJC, and SJC-OAK tag-ons. Air California and PSA have done it at various times, especially with the Electras to TVL, but also other tag-ons. Western did SJC-OAK at times as a triangle route with a 707 to HNL. TWA did SFO-SJC as a late night tag on once.

I think UA has used various equipment when they've done it. Obviously it was a tag-on and not just for SFO-OAK service.

point2point

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I've looked on several online sites and there are no UA-operated flights between OAK and DEN beyond July 1.

UA has been reducing (or right-sizing) the DEN hub since the merger. It has also probably reduced ORD and LAX as well, and maybe even some from the other hubs, but DEN has been probably seen the highest reduction in terms of flights. At the same time, DEN has also seen a few new stations open up with the new UA, namely LBB, MAF, DAL and FAI can be mentioned quickly.

However, with the above, would this be the first station that has actually been removed from DEN? And as such, even thought UA has been - right-sizing - since the merger, and there have been flight reductions overall to meet capacity, I believe that stations have been kept and even added to the system. Is this the first station to leave the new UA since the merger?

FATFlyer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Yep. Including 747s. They decided to sell their ferry flights to the MX base in OAK.

I did the OAK-SFO on a widebody one time. There used to be UAX flights OAK-FAT using EMB-110s. One time I was booked on OAK-FAT and it was cancelled. So a handful of us were loaded onto a widebody to SFO then connected there back to Fresno.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

macsog6

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 6):
As a side topic, I've noticed that AA doesn't really offer FF seats out of SJC. Everytime my sister tries redeeming AA or AS miles on AA, it's only available out of SFO to anywhere. The SJC-DFW or SJC-LAX flights don't often have availability, but instead offers the award from SFO

Ummmmm, very odd as I recently tried to redeem some AA FF miles from SFO to OGG and was not successful, but did get them from SJC via LAX.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

timz

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:13 pm

UA has never flown any regularly scheduled equipment larger than the DC-8 or the 757 (unless it was a charter).

Almost true, but I think OAK-HNL and SJC-HNL were both DC-10 at one point.

AeroWesty

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 17):
I did the OAK-SFO on a widebody one time.

As did I. UA sold more tickets between SFO and OAK in 1Q 1988 than at any other time in their history (by a wide margin, I might add). Trivia: anyone recall why?  
International Homo of Mystery

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):

As did I. UA sold more tickets between SFO and OAK in 1Q 1988 than at any other time in their history (by a wide margin, I might add). Trivia: anyone recall why?

im not sure but I would guess for FF miles? fares must have been pretty cheap to do that at the time.

or I could see living in the bay area originating your flight at OAK and connecting in SFO and getting at extra 1000 miles just to connect.

I think this happened alot in Houston when CO had flights from IAH to HOU and EFD

[Edited 2012-03-18 15:40:06]

DualQual

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Bay bridge collapse after earthquake?
There's no known cure for stupid

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Quoting DualQual (Reply 22):
Bay bridge collapse after earthquake?

that didnt happen though until Oct 1989

AeroWesty

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 21):
im not sure but I would guess for FF miles?

Close, but not it exactly. There was a specific reason.

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Quoting timz (Reply 19):
Almost true, but I think OAK-HNL and SJC-HNL were both DC-10 at one point.

Yes, for a very short time. Usually both those flights were DC-8-50s. I don't recall either ever being scheduled with a DC-8-61 though, but -61s did do SJC-DEN.

I don't recall how long the UA service lasted but WA did OAK-HNL and SJC-HNL for many more years with 707s or 720s.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):

I'm stumped on that one too and was living in the area at the time. I do have a friend who put his wife on a SFO-SJC flight as a mileage run once. I don't remember anything special going on in early 1988 in that area. Was it a BART strike?

AeroWesty

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):
I'm stumped on that one too and was living in the area at the time.

Aww, dang, you of all people I would have expected to get it.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):
I don't remember anything special going on in early 1988 in that area.

Oh but there was something special, it just wasn't specific "in that area" that caused the huge travel spike that vanished from 2Q 88 onwards.

bennett123

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...qarchives/significant/sig_1988.php

Do you mean this?.

"FEB 11 15 25 55.6& 34.077 N 118.047 W 12 4.8 54 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. . ML 4.7 (PAS), 4.8 (BRK).
One person died from a heart attack. Some minor
injuries and damage (VI) in the Whittier area. Felt (V)
at Alhambra, Arcadia, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bell
Gardens, Commerce, Downey, Fullerton, Glendale,
Inglewood, La Mirada, La Puente, Los Angeles, Maywood,
Montebello, Norwalk, Pasadena, San Gabriel and Vernon.
Felt strongly in much of southern California".

wedgetail737

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 15):
This has been discussed in other threads. At various times there have been SFO-OAK, SFO-SJC, and SJC-OAK tag-ons. Air California and PSA have done it at various times, especially with the Electras to TVL, but also other tag-ons. Western did SJC-OAK at times as a triangle route with a 707 to HNL. TWA did SFO-SJC as a late night tag on once.

UA had been selling SFO-OAK and OAK-SFO up to around the early to mid-1990's. CO briefly flew IAH-SFO-OAK and OAK-SFO-IAH with a 733, back when they served OAK-DEN. We also had SFO Helicopter. I think AE (i.e. Wings West) flew SWM's between OAK and SFO.

World flew OAK-HNL and OAK-EWR using DC-10 aircraft. UA didn't have ground support equipment for widebodies. That's why I am challenging anyone that states UA scheduled widebodies at OAK...unless you're talking pre-1970's. The only airplane that UA flew that used containers out of OAK was the DC-8. AA used containers on the 727's also.

AeroWesty

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 27):
Do you mean this?.

Nope, I'll give it to ya.

Qualifying for triple miles during 1988 in MileagePlus. Not just flights such as SFO-OAK, but all around the country people were flying the cheapest round-trip they could to get that qualifying round-trip in by 3/31/88. (And not just UA, the other airlines were doing it as well.)

It may seem like a "so what", but it was actually a game-changer in terms of FF plans in two ways. First, it ushered in the first significant changes to the mileage requirements and how changes would be inacted in the future (I still maintained a cache of "old miles" with DL for over a decade). Secondly, it vastly increased the number of everyday Joes who wouldn't have thought they flew enough to enroll in a FF plan. Now just two cross-country round-trips in 1988 were more than enough to earn a free domestic ticket, which back then was pretty unrestricted. FF plans pretty much took off like wildfire due to that 1Q promotion.

As 3/31/88 approached, crowds were lining up to fly SFO-OAK and return standby. It was incredible.

BoeingGuy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 28):
That's why I am challenging anyone that states UA scheduled widebodies at OAK.

I do know for a fact that UA flew DC-10s SJC-HNL for a short time. I remember seeing them. I'm pretty sure they did such on OAK-HNL too. As I mentioned it was mostly DC-8-50s. I think the DC-10 was right before UA dropped OAK/SJC-HNL.

Anyone else know for a fact either way?

There were no SJC-HNL flights again until AA reinstated it around 1999 IIRC on a 757.

AeroWesty

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 28):
That's why I am challenging anyone that states UA scheduled widebodies at OAK...unless you're talking pre-1970's

Two points:

1) There were no widebodies "pre-1970s"; and

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNITED-AIRLI...SE-HONOLULU-DC-10-AD-/400263441741

Zing!  

ramprat74

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 am

Another great United station bites the dust! In the past, United flew all these routes out of Oakland.

SEA
PDX
HNL
LAX
BUR
ONT
SAN
DEN
ORD
IAD

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 am

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 32):
SEA
PDX
HNL
LAX
BUR
ONT
SAN
DEN
ORD
IAD

Ahhh...those were the days. I flew on the OAK-LAX-OAK daytrip on UA during the L.A. Riots.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 17):
There used to be UAX flights OAK-FAT using EMB-110s.

WestAir started OAK-FAT service using EMB-110 before they became a UA Express carrier. Those EMB-110 flights changed to Jetstream 31 aircraft and new EMB-120 service on OAK-SNA. After OAK-FAT was discontinued, UA Express introduced BAe-146 flights on OAK-SNA.

FATFlyer...do you remember OAK-FAT on Far West Airlines using ex-Mid Pacific YS-11's?

christao17

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 15):
This has been discussed in other threads. At various times there have been SFO-OAK, SFO-SJC, and SJC-OAK tag-ons.

I used to fly a lot as a non-rev from SJC to DEN and recall that the early morning departure (this was probably in the early 80s?) was a DC-8 that came in from SFO. You could usually see it flying low along the west side of the Santa Clara Valley then turning east and circling in for landing. One time when I was flying DEN-SJC on passes, I actually asked if I could stay aboard for the flight up to SFO and did, riding home with my father who was working up at UA's maintenance base. Good times.
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...

warden145

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 4):
Both OAK and SJC serve very large population bases themselves so I don't always understand why airlines pull down there so much. It isn't just like people want to drive an extra hour to get to SFO. If a member of my family flies out of SFO, they literally drive (or get a ride) right past SJC on Highway 101, then it's another 35+ miles each way in freeway traffic. Same with like AA pulling out of LGB and BUR. If you happen to leave near those airports, it's a huge inconvenience to now have to get to LAX.

Ironically, I get to do the exact opposite in a couple of weeks...I live within spitting distance of SFO (maybe a 15 minute drive, vs 45 minutes to OAK and an hour to SJC without traffic), but I need to fly into BUR and the only SFO-BUR service is on UA/OO and is hideously expensive. So, I get to cross the San Mateo Bridge to OAK to catch a WN flight. I've been in the Bay Area since I was 3 years old and have flown out of SJC and SFO countless times (and, courtesy of work, I visit all three airports on a daily basis), but this is my first flight out of OAK...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

ramprat74

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:30 pm

It looks like Oakland will close June 4th. This was from the IAM website. Just another great job from the guys on 77 W Wacker Drive.

Management Botches Station Closing

Last Friday we received a call from United informing us that they were about to tell the employees of Oakland that the station was closing.

This is a departure from previous notifications involving station closings. In other examples of station closings we have been given advanced notice of a public announcement so that we may inform our local Committees and make sure a Union representative is in station when employees are given their information to provide answers to the many questions that people have when they are first told their lives are going to change.

While this is not a contractual requirement it is a healthier way to do this unpleasant business and treat the employees with respect and compassion. We are hopeful the management that prides itself on treating all coworkers with respect and open communication will see that they came up short this time and will develop a better line of communication to employees that includes their Union.

As we found out after the station announcement, OAK will close on June 4. All impacted employees will have the opportunity to fill vacancies in SFO if they choose.

BoeingGuy

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 36):
All impacted employees will have the opportunity to fill vacancies in SFO if they choose.

I wonder why they also didn't mention that employees would also have the chance to fill vacancies in SJC. Especially if one lives somewhere like Fremont, SJC is just as close. AFAIK the new UA will still serve DEN, IAH and LAX from SJC.

FATFlyer

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 33):
WestAir started OAK-FAT service using EMB-110 before they became a UA Express carrier. Those EMB-110 flights changed to Jetstream 31 aircraft and new EMB-120 service on OAK-SNA. After OAK-FAT was discontinued, UA Express introduced BAe-146 flights on OAK-SNA.

FATFlyer...do you remember OAK-FAT on Far West Airlines using ex-Mid Pacific YS-11's?

WestAir became a UAX carrier in 1985.

The transition to J31s started, I believe, roughly in late 1988/early 1989. Initially out of FAT they were being used on SFO and LAX runs.

The flights I was on for OAK-FAT were in about 1987/1988 (I was doing a lot of East Bay business back then), which would be before the J31s started arriving. I can't forget the EMB-110s with those "school bus" style bench seats for 2 people.

I remember Far West but they only operated for about 4 months and I never had the opportunity to fly on them.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

whatusaid

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 38):

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 33):

WestAir became a UAX carrier in 1985.

The transition to J31s started, I believe, roughly in late 1988/early 1989. Initially out of FAT they were being used on SFO and LAX runs.

The flights I was on for OAK-FAT were in about 1987/1988 (I was doing a lot of East Bay business back then), which would be before the J31s started arriving. I can't forget the EMB-110s with those "school bus" style bench seats for 2 people.

I remember Far West but they only operated for about 4 months and I never had the opportunity to fly on them.

I flew Far West. It was a FAT-OAK-SJC-FAT routing, wasn't it? YS-11's, two of them, one in colors and the other in Mid-Pacific colors. Underfunded and doomed.

wedgetail737

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting WhatUsaid (Reply 39):
I flew Far West. It was a FAT-OAK-SJC-FAT routing, wasn't it? YS-11's, two of them, one in colors and the other in Mid-Pacific colors. Underfunded and doomed.

How was the service? Was there any beverage or snack service? At their peak, Far West also flew to ONT and SNA, from FAT.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 30):
I think the DC-10 was right before UA dropped OAK/SJC-HNL.

UA reintroduced OAK-HNL a couple of times using DC-8-73's, along with DC-8-73 service 2X daily OAK-ORD.

Too bad UA will be gone from OAK. They had a very long history there.

RWA380

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 38):

Far West was a short lived carrier that flew HIO-BFI, late 70's early 80's IIRC, Not sure if it's connected with the one your speaking of.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
Far West was a short lived carrier that flew HIO-BFI, late 70's early 80's IIRC, Not sure if it's connected with the one your speaking of.

No...the Far West Airlines we're speaking of existed during the late 1980's based out of FAT with YS-11's.

RWA380

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 42):

No...the Far West Airlines we're speaking of existed during the late 1980's based out of FAT with YS-11's

I expected it wasn't, guess it's not the first time an airlines name was recycled, not counting where a name was bought just to try and add credibility to a funky start up carrier, like what happened with the great Pan Am.

OH-LGA

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Wow... this thread drifted.

I remember trying to hop on a nonstop IAD-OAK flight as an NRSA with UA a couple years ago that they launched in competition with B6 on the same route. It was chock full. Obviously loads don't = yields.

It's sad to hear another airline is leaving OAK, but given the drawdown of UA's presence there over the past ten years, I can't say it's surprising. When UA was down to two DEN nonstops a day, I honestly thought it was just a matter of when. I could have seen them transition OAK into a UAX station with CR7s to DEN, but when you have a massive hub just across San Francisco Bay at SFO, that probably didn't make sense, not to mention the lack of available CR7 capacity (and uncertainty surrounding them in general with the UA/CO scope clause issue).

That's AA and UA that have pulled out of OAK now... I wonder if any other carriers are contemplating similar moves.
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

Viscount724

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 40):
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 30):
I think the DC-10 was right before UA dropped OAK/SJC-HNL.

UA reintroduced OAK-HNL a couple of times using DC-8-73's, along with DC-8-73 service 2X daily OAK-ORD.

Minor correction. UA never operated the DC-8-73 (re-engined -63), only the DC-8-71 (re-engined -61).

RWA380

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 am

Quoting OH-LGA (Reply 44):
I remember trying to hop on a nonstop IAD-OAK flight as an NRSA with UA a couple years ago that they launched in competition with B6 on the same route. It was chock full. Obviously loads don't = yields

When I last flew from the Bay Area to Chicago, the fares was half the price from OAK than SFO, I flew out of OAK, same non-stop A-320, and other than the need to connect in DEN on the way back (which gave me my only Star Alliance 777, and 735 experiences) It was just as nice as anything I'd get from SFO, but the flights were full because the fare was half the price. Thank God I was in F the whole trip.

Quoting OH-LGA (Reply 44):
That's AA and UA that have pulled out of OAK now... I wonder if any other carriers are contemplating similar moves

How many carriers fly there still that are legacy, DL? and that's only Skywest anyway. Southwest owns OAK, even AS/QX has gone from mainline to Q400's. I remember flying the Disney 734 into OAK in F, in what seems like only a few years back.

wedgetail737

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 46):
How many carriers fly there still that are legacy, DL? and that's only Skywest anyway. Southwest owns OAK, even AS/QX has gone from mainline to Q400's. I remember flying the Disney 734 into OAK in F, in what seems like only a few years back.

DL is flies mainline aircraft between SLC-OAK 1X or 2X per day. Likewise, AS still flies the majority of its flights on mainline aircraft. Then you still have US, B6 and HA. NK is the new one in town.

But, yeah, WN pretty much owns OAK.

panam330

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 46):

DL still flies mainline on SLC-OAK, and US to PHX (if you count that as legacy).

point2point

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I think that if there is a shortage of seats between OAK-DEN with only WN now serving the route after the UA pullout, then I guess by that time NK will be in DEN, and in OAK, and NK could look at providing capacity here if needed. Again, that's if there are a shortages of seats.

Currently, from the lastest DOT numbers (Q3 2011) there are about 650 pax per day between OAK and DEN. And with WN offering about 3 daily flights here, that's about 800 seats in the market, which I would think is just about correct, eh?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos