Lufthansa has decided to drastically devaluate the Miles & More Program, especially for passengers buying intercontinental discounted business class fares. Changes will happen as of 01SEPT2012, some of them even as early as 15JUN2012. LH
's new slogan "Nonstop you!" is like a kick in the butt with these new changes...!
Adjustment to the qualification rule for HON Circle Members:
• In future HON Circle miles needed to achieve or renew HON Circle status can be earned solely on flights in First and Business Class.
• With effect from 1 September 2012, status and award miles will still be credited for Economy Class flights, but not HON Circle miles.
Change to the booking guarantee in Business Class for HON Circle Members:
• Effective from 1 September 2012, the HON Circle booking guarantee for Business Class will only apply in the highest booking class on each airline. On Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa and SWISS, this is booking class J; on our airline partners Adria Airways, Croatia Airlines and LOT Polish Airlines, it is booking class C.
• The booking guarantee for Economy Class flights in booking class Y remains unchanged.
New rule for earning miles in Business booking class Z:
In future the miles earned in Business Class will be more closely aligned to the value of the ticket, as is already the case in Economy Class. Therefore the mileage credit in the lower-priced Business booking class Z is being amended for flights from 1 September as follows:
• 1,000 award, status and HON Circle miles on domestic flights (previously 1,500 miles)
• 1,250 miles on continental flights (previously 2,000 miles)
• 150% of the distance miles on intercontinental flights (previously 200%)
Introduction of the new Business booking class P:
The miles credited in the new, lowest-priced Business booking class P (exclusively for promotions) will be set as follows on its introduction in March:
• 500 award, status and HON Circle miles on domestic flights
• 750 miles on continental flights
• 100% of the distance miles on intercontinental flights
These mileage levels will also apply to Austrian Airlines flights with effect from 16 May 2012 and to SWISS flights with effect from 1 September 2012.
Upgrade awards from Business Class no longer available in booking classes Z and P:
• Upgrade awards from Business booking class Z to First Class will no longer be available on Lufthansa-operated flights effective from 1 September 2012. The same applies to the new Business booking class P on Lufthansa flights with immediate effect.
• On SWISS-operated flights, upgrade awards to First Class from Business booking classes Z and P will continue to be available. There will be an additional surcharge of 20,000 miles (currently: 15,000 miles) for these upgrades with effect from 1 September 2012.
In addition to these amendments, other changes to the Miles & More programme are as follows:
• Expansion of the one-way flight award offer: from 1 September 2012, one-way flight awards will be available to book on all Miles & More airline partners. For these, 50% of the miles for a regular flight award will be required. Also new: one-way flight awards will be bookable online at Miles & More - Miles & More | Europe's leading frequent flyer programme. This applies to flights on the following airlines: Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Condor, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa and SWISS.
• Lowering of the Senator qualification threshold in Germany: the qualification threshold for customers living in Germany will be reduced from 130,000 miles to 100,000 miles within a calendar year. The mileage threshold in Germany will therefore correspond to the worldwide qualification requirement.
• Incentivisation of frequent-flying Senators: on reaching 300,000 HON Circle miles in the calendar years 2011 and 2012, Senators will receive two eVouchers for upgrades to the next highest travel class.
Provided no other statements are made, the changes mentioned apply to flights with Lufthansa and the fully-integrated Miles & More partner airlines (Adria Airways, Air Dolomiti, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Luxair and SWISS).
[Edited 2012-03-20 05:09:34]